THE alternative to MusicLink is here....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install Instructions

Are there clear step by step instructions w/pictures on how to install this thing on an 06 TL w/nav anywhere? Ideally I would want the unit out of sight with the ipod coming out from the center console in direct mode. I'd want to keep XM with that y-adapter as well.

Or perhaps...has anyone gotten this installed professionally in the boston area? Or is it really that easy where a prof. installation isn't necessary.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
TonyS, I'm not sure , but did you hit the Disc button twice to switch to CDC mode? I think Disk 5 is iPod interface and Disk 6 is for Aux.

huberc, the install has been done by quite a few members successfully. Tips are shown throught this thread. I say read the thread, ask any questions that are unclear, then try it. From what I've read, it seems pretty straight forward.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

USA Spec may be quirky with 05/06 TL

Just an FYI. I installed the USA Spec unit in my 06 TL and set everything up according to instructions. However, I do not get any disc information on my Nav screen and sometimes my heads up display does not match the Nav. I called USA Spec and they indicated that they have not yet certified this unit for the TL and they are aware of some of these problems. Because they have not yet listed the TL as compatable, the unit is not supported if installed in a TL. In essence, there is nothing they can do and you need to be aware that it might not work as described. USA Spec did indicate that they were working on the TL compatability issues and may have a solution in 3 or 4 weeks and that I should call back then to check. If they have resolved the issues they will swap my unit out for a small shipping and handling fee. All in all though I am still happy with this solution as it is far better that a tape input or and FM modulator and a great deal less expensive than Music Link. The unit plays fine and all control functions work I just don't get any information on the screen.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:05 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by luniz97
mine sucks when u have the ipod plugged in and hit xm the ipod still plays over xm

I went out and tested my ipod earlier to see if I could duplicate any of the "bleeding" but the closest I could hear were some random static ticks when I switched from XM to the Ipod. I was able to stop the tick sounds by unpluging the ipod and plugging it back in while the radio is powered up.

If I'm listening to the Ipod and hit the XM button, my Ipod will pause itself so there's no way to hear the Ipod bleeding over to XM. I'm pretty sure it pauses when I switch to any other source including FM/AM and CD's/DVDA's.

For those who have had problems with steering wheel buttons not working, I've experienced this bug by plugging the Ipod into the harness when the car and radio are off. After starting the car, my steering wheel buttons and the radio buttons won't respond. Once the car is started I disconnect and reconnect the Ipod and the bug is fixed. The problem won't return as long as you leave the Ipod plugged in. So I'm guessing the trick here is to add the Ipod to the car while the radio is already on. Hopefully this will work for some of you out there.

I run my USA Spec in direct mode and I keep the Ipod in the armrest bin. I tried playlist mode a while back but it was too cumbersome as far as renaming the playlists and navigating through playlists and songs. I like to have access to all of my playlists and songs especially when there are a few thousand of them on the Ipod.

My NAV screen displays (-) and (+) buttons when the Ipod is playing. These touch screen buttons only function as a pause button and won't skip tracks. The display of titles or songs from the Ipod are not supported so you won't see them on the NAV screen.

I hope some of this information helps out a few of you.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Another successful install without taking the dash apart at all. My only complaint is the cable is way too small, does anyone know if you can get a cable to make the dock connector cable longer. I also have XM and navigation and hear no bleeding. I did notice that when I switch between radio modes or turn off the car the Ipod will pause and charge. Does anyone know how long the Ipod will charge while the car is off?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:02 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Manual says that charging will continue for 1 hour
Old 05-14-2006, 11:11 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Spider0079
... My only complaint is the cable is way too small, does anyone know if you can get a cable to make the dock connector cable longer. ?
I don't have the unit but I think it is just a mini-din connector on the brain-end of the ipod cable. If so then count the pins and google for a mini-din extension cable and get one with the right amount of pins. Best to get the extension that is the shortest possible to meet your needs. Extra length can only cause problems.

Like these (the mother load of min-din extensions). I know nothing about this company
http://www.stockcable.com/minidin.shtml

Perhaps someone with a unit could specify/confirm it is mini-din and how many pins. I'm probably going to get the USASPEC when stock is back so I'd like to know too.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spider0079
Another successful install without taking the dash apart at all. My only complaint is the cable is way too small, does anyone know if you can get a cable to make the dock connector cable longer.
When I installed, I used the cable that came with the MusicLink, which is longer. Installed just like the USA Spec cable and works fine, and is about 6 inches longer. You can get that cable from the Acura Dealer for $10-15.

Just an option.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamthebert
Will I have to remove the headunit if I am only doing iPod integration?
I did this a couple weeks ago and, as cited several times on this thread, you don't need to remove the unit. Follow jaymd123's directions to get access to the rear of the unit. Once I had access to the rear of the unit from the driver's side, disconnecting the 14-pin connector was a little difficult. I used a right-angle needle nose pliers to depress the locking mechanism on the connector and a miniature mirror to see what I was doing behind the unit. After a few minutes of trying it popped right out. But the real difficult part was reinstalling the 14-pin. This takes some dexterity and a lot of patience. I did this part without tools - just my fingers. Wish I had smaller fingers. After about 15-20 minutes I was able to get the connector back in. Definitely worth it CD/MP3 quality sound over that great sound system with all your i-Pod music.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:03 AM
10th Gear

FYI for future USA Spec buyers

FYI Discount Car Stereo has removed the Acura from the list of cars compatible with the USA Spec. I sent them an email and they stated that due to intermittent problems they are doing further testing.

Are there any good alternatives?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Look Mean, Play Nice

Any update on when they think they will have a compatiable version out? It sounds like everything will still work (most of the time) except for the track information.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Tony, same problem as I'm having with my Canadian '05 w/Navi now that the unit is somehow working. It quit totally for a while but works now, but with the issues you've stated.

John

Originally Posted by TonyS
I finally managed to get the USA Spec unit installed without taking the dash apart. It took a while to get the connector to line up and seat but when it did it was a major rush. I would like to thank Crook for his detailed installation instructions. I would have never figured this out wihtout this guidance. Also, thanks to everyone else for their installation suggestions.

However, now that I have it installed I seem to be having a problem. Everything plays fine but nothing shows on the screen. I set up in playlist mode and assigned all of the HONDA playlists as the manual instructed. I can surf through the playlists and songs with no problem and the sound quality is great but the Disc and Track numbers never show up on my Nav screen. as the instructions indicate they should. Anyone else had this problem.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Just to clarify guys, I need this Y adapter:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=787

and this USA Spec box?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3fLmH5C...a&i=581PA11HN2

The unit is out of stock at discountcarstereo so I'll just buy it at crutchfield (great company, btw!)

I called Acura but they said they couldn't sell me any of the cables from the MusicLink... lame! Any ideas because I have to go there on Thursday anyway...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Look Mean, Play Nice

Yes those are correct. It appears that USA Spec PA11-HON2 is now in transit at discount car stereo. http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=879. BTW, I also got the same run around from Acura on the Music Link splitter cable. They said the best I could hope for is to buy the whole Music Link kit! Ya, right.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by waacow
Last night I sent an e-mail to "carstereodiscount" support and I got a reply this morning right away. Basically, If I don't want to retain XM function, I do not need Y Adapter (save myself $30). I simply need to unplug the existing white plug (XM plug) and plugin the new adapter from USASpec, then that is it.

This morning I followed the instruction from "Crook" at page 4 of this thread, I was able to remove the existing XM Plug and install the USASpec plug within 10 minutes using those 2 simple tools: (The paint can opener - which you can get for free from Home Depot or other paint store + long skinny screw driver).

So far I am LOVING the new USASpec IPod integration. It sounds great and the direct mode of controling Ipod is great as well. One thing I notice that is very nice is that: When I turn off the car, the iPod will automatically pause. Then when I turn on the car, it will auto resume the same song and playlist that where I left off. And in direct mode, the next track and last track on steer wheel control works great as well.

Without the Y Adapter, my XM is completely disable. The XM button on the console doesn't do anything anymore.

I'm loving my iPod again, since it is working nicely with my TL now !!

I'm gonna stick in "direct mode" for a while and will post detail review later this week.

The pause functionality is part of the iPod. Newer iPods detect when you unplug the headphones and pause, assuming you can't possibly be listening anymore.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

When i turn off the ipod and switch back to XM, the XM sounds really quiet and muffled? Anyone else have this problem? If so, how'd you resolve it??
Old 07-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ I didnt and you are using my module
Old 07-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
^ I didnt and you are using my module
i know! lol
It only happens when I use the ipod, and then switch back to XM. If i restart the car, it'll go back to normal though.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
i know! lol
It only happens when I use the ipod, and then switch back to XM. If i restart the car, it'll go back to normal though.
There's your solution, then. Do you have a manual transmission? It will help if you want to switch from the ipod to XM while freeway driving. You should avoid sharp turns without power steering, though.

Seriously, I use both XM and the ipod, and except for the known problem where I need to hit disk + to restart the iPod, it works fine, with no bleeding. I have a 2006 TL.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 PM
4th Gear

I just finished installing my Ipod in my '06 tonight. I used the USA Spec PA11-HON2 with a ProClip to mount it. I'm not real good with my hands and I had a few observations to share for people getting ready to do this.

First Kudos to those of you who manged to unplug the factory connector without removing the sidepanel. I tried to do this and even bought a mirror and bent nose pliers as some have suggested. The connector is just too hard to get loose and too deep in. However removing the trim (starting in the center console was fairly easy to do. The silver trim came off no problem - but I did manage to snap off two tabs, one on the side panel the other under the steering wheel but honestly there are so many tabs and screws it doesn't seem to matter (as far as I can tell) speaking of screws I have two leftover - no idea where they went.

Anyhow it works great and looks great. I hid the unit under something behind the dash and used a peice of double sided tape to stick it up there. It sounds awesome, it does seem a little quirky about starting to play as when I connect the Ipod and press play I don't always get sound, then I press the CD up buttong and the Ipod pauses, then I press play again on the Ipod and it works right away. Mabe the proper steps - Like hooking it up first, then pressing CD will alleviate this - Steering wheel controls work too. Overall I'm very happy.

If I can do it, anyone can!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

unit just does not want to coorperate with me.

The only way i can get the XM to not sound muffled is the disconnect the radio plug from the USA SPec unit. Then to listen to music/sound for movies on my Vantex AVOX Jukebox, I have to reconnect it.

I've rechecked the wiring, the Y adapter, the radio cable, and the ipod cable, and just can't figure this out. USA Spec hasn't even bothered to answer my last 3 e-mails.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
unit just does not want to coorperate with me.

The only way i can get the XM to not sound muffled is the disconnect the radio plug from the USA SPec unit. Then to listen to music/sound for movies on my Vantex AVOX Jukebox, I have to reconnect it.

I've rechecked the wiring, the Y adapter, the radio cable, and the ipod cable, and just can't figure this out. USA Spec hasn't even bothered to answer my last 3 e-mails.
Took everything apart again, to recheck the wiring. I figured out that the only way to use the ipod and not have the XM muffled is the have the DIP #1 switch ON.
I have the unit next to the side wall on the drivers side (sort of next to the accelerator pedal, but far enough so that my foot doesn't hit it). Kind of a PITA to get to when i want to switch the DIP ON/OFF, but oh well.
Hope that helps anyone who's also having this issue.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bar2v
Any update on when they think they will have a compatiable version out? It sounds like everything will still work (most of the time) except for the track information.
Any news on the compatibility update? USA SPEC was my last hope for good iPod integration on my 04 TL non-navi (after I unsuccessfully tried 2 other blitzsafe units) so I'm not spending and more $$$ on a different unit, just want this one to work!
Old 08-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bTwix
Any news on the compatibility update? USA SPEC was my last hope for good iPod integration on my 04 TL non-navi (after I unsuccessfully tried 2 other blitzsafe units) so I'm not spending and more $$$ on a different unit, just want this one to work!
When did anyone say that the USAspec had problems with an 04? I thought that the 04 was the only year that members weren't having difficulties with. Or is it just an issue with non/navi vehicles?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lembowski
When did anyone say that the USAspec had problems with an 04? I thought that the 04 was the only year that members weren't having difficulties with. Or is it just an issue with non/navi vehicles?
Well I've got an 04 TL MT Non-Navi with USASpec and turning the stereo on/off take like 4-5 seconds, the iPod adapter doesn't work consistently. Aux in seems to work ok, but the stereo still take 4-5 seconds to turn on. I called USASpec and their terrible customer support guy (call him and experience it for yourself) said that the unit wasn't supported at all for the TL.

So it this hit or miss with thier units or with different versions of the TL? Who knows.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you mean 4-5 seconds after plugging in the USAspec till you get sound? Mine does that to, and I think they all do that. Is that what bothers you about the USAspec? My Blitzsafe also did that when I had it. What doesn't work consistently?

Look at it this way, atleast you can listen to your music before those of us with Navi can see a display screen...........
Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lembowski
Do you mean 4-5 seconds after plugging in the USAspec till you get sound? Mine does that to, and I think they all do that. Is that what bothers you about the USAspec? My Blitzsafe also did that when I had it. What doesn't work consistently?

Look at it this way, atleast you can listen to your music before those of us with Navi can see a display screen...........
Here's the email I just sent them ... btw, I leave my iPod plugged in all the time in the glovebox. Don't take it with me.

I called a couple months back in regard to the PA11–HON2 support for the 2004 Acura TL non-navi. When we talked you had mentioned that someone at USASpec was looking into the issue and would likely have a compatibility update in about 4 weeks. Can you give me an update on the current status of this?

The current issues I’m facing are:
• Stereo responds to power on button intermittently after installing USASpec PA11-HON2 – I have to press the power button and/or the XM button multiple times to get the stereo to turn on, which usually takes 5-10 seconds for the unit to respond.
• iPod isn’t charging and/or powering down correctly when connected to the USASpec PA11-HON2 iPod connector. When I start my car in the morning (after having parked all night) the iPod has no charge left. It’s a 3rd gen 40GB iPod. The unit appears to be charging correctly when the car is turned on, so maybe the iPod isn’t getting powered down and drains overnight? What’s worse is that once drained, I have to charge it from a wall socket to get it to take a new charge so the iPod becomes useless until I take it inside, charge it from the wall, and then take it back to the car.
• iPod needs to be occasionally unplugged and plugged back in to “resynchronize” with the USASpec PA11-HON2. Sometimes when I start my car, the iPod just

Other than that, the unit works great however due to the unreliable nature of the issues above I ended up buying a belkin car kit and using the aux in on the USASpec PA11-HON2. Using the belkin + aux in works, but the stereo still has the intermittent power-on issues (see issue #1 above) and I don’t have any control of the iPod from the stereo or steering wheel since I’m using aux in.

Any suggestions on fixing the above issues or when a compatibility update for the PA11-HON2 will come out?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:00 PM
10th Gear

USA Spec has completed the Acura update for the PA11-HON2 i-pod interface. Technically the original unit was not fully compatible with the Acura and many of us that installed it had a number of glitches in the performance. I just sent mine back to USA Spec for the programming update and they turned it around it just a couple of days. I plugged the updated box in and it now works flawlessly with no glitches whatsoever. All functions now perform as indicated in the owners manual. If you have already purchased one USA Spec will complete the programming update at no charge under the warranty (at least that's what they did for me). All you need to do is pay the freight back to them. You only need to return the interface box. You leave all wiring intact and just plug the box back in when you get it back. If you have not puchased one yet I suggest calling USA Spec to find out where you can get one of the newest, upgraded versions. I suspect that many of the distributors still have the old units in stock. I have to tell you that USA Spec has been very accommodating about this whole issue and I would rate their customer service an A+. I hope you experience the same level of service.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

I just put in the USAspec this morning, with a nasty hangover, and only took about 2 hours(mainly because being upside down with my head on the gas pedal was not that enjoyable). Used the trick of undoing the 2 clips of the fabric down near the gas pedal and using a coat-hanger and a screw driver to hook it up in the back. I've got to update the firmware on the Ipod to get everything to work right, but even as is, the sound is fantastic. Wouldn't have been able to do it that easy without this thread, so thanks everybody!

BTW, paintcan opener didn't work so well for me, using a wire cutter and a coathanger did the trick. Straighten the coathanger out, then create an L bend in the end, about 1/4." You can hook the end into the top of the clip that goes into the back of the radio, and it should press the release down at the same time, for me it popped right out. Finally was able to get the new clip in by just jiggling it around with my hand, then using the screw driver to push it in. Took some time and a lot of swearing, but worth it not to have to take everything apart. (I do not recommend doing it with a hangover, though, really makes your head pound )
Old 08-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TonyS
USA Spec has completed the Acura update for the PA11-HON2 i-pod interface. Technically the original unit was not fully compatible with the Acura and many of us that installed it had a number of glitches in the performance. I just sent mine back to USA Spec for the programming update and they turned it around it just a couple of days. I plugged the updated box in and it now works flawlessly with no glitches whatsoever. All functions now perform as indicated in the owners manual. If you have already purchased one USA Spec will complete the programming update at no charge under the warranty (at least that's what they did for me). All you need to do is pay the freight back to them. You only need to return the interface box. You leave all wiring intact and just plug the box back in when you get it back. If you have not puchased one yet I suggest calling USA Spec to find out where you can get one of the newest, upgraded versions. I suspect that many of the distributors still have the old units in stock. I have to tell you that USA Spec has been very accommodating about this whole issue and I would rate their customer service an A+. I hope you experience the same level of service.
Awesome, I'll pull interface box and send it in on Monday! Have to say that in my TL the USASpec, even when not working perfectly, was the best of all those I'd tried. With this upgrade it looks like we finally have an iPod integration winner for the TL! Hope the upgrade really works!
Old 08-19-2006, 03:31 PM
10th Gear

Make sure you call USA Spec first and get an RA# before you return your unit for an upgrade. They will send you the return form for you to fill our via e-mail. You just need to fill out the form. enclose it in the box with the unit and then write the RA# on the outside of the box. Good luck and I hope when you get you updated unit back it works as well for you as it does for me.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
who sells the newest version? Also, has the latest upgrade corrected ALL the issues in the past. I have been waiting until they finally had the unit working perfectly and am ready to pick this one up, assuming everything functions as it should.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Racer

Here's the email I just sent them ... btw, I leave my iPod plugged in all the time in the glovebox. Don't take it with me.

I called a couple months back in regard to the PA11–HON2 support for the 2004 Acura TL non-navi. When we talked you had mentioned that someone at USASpec was looking into the issue and would likely have a compatibility update in about 4 weeks. Can you give me an update on the current status of this?

The current issues I’m facing are:
• Stereo responds to power on button intermittently after installing USASpec PA11-HON2 – I have to press the power button and/or the XM button multiple times to get the stereo to turn on, which usually takes 5-10 seconds for the unit to respond.
• iPod isn’t charging and/or powering down correctly when connected to the USASpec PA11-HON2 iPod connector. When I start my car in the morning (after having parked all night) the iPod has no charge left. It’s a 3rd gen 40GB iPod. The unit appears to be charging correctly when the car is turned on, so maybe the iPod isn’t getting powered down and drains overnight? What’s worse is that once drained, I have to charge it from a wall socket to get it to take a new charge so the iPod becomes useless until I take it inside, charge it from the wall, and then take it back to the car.
• iPod needs to be occasionally unplugged and plugged back in to “resynchronize” with the USASpec PA11-HON2. Sometimes when I start my car, the iPod just

Other than that, the unit works great however due to the unreliable nature of the issues above I ended up buying a belkin car kit and using the aux in on the USASpec PA11-HON2. Using the belkin + aux in works, but the stereo still has the intermittent power-on issues (see issue #1 above) and I don’t have any control of the iPod from the stereo or steering wheel since I’m using aux in.

Any suggestions on fixing the above issues or when a compatibility update for the PA11-HON2 will come out?
Here's the response from USASpec. Looks like there will be a new model #

Our version PA11 HON2Y will work with the Acura TL

IT WILL hit the market in about 2 weeks

Bob
Old 08-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Pro

I sent them an email as well but haven't received a reply yet. Have a call in to a local dealer who is going to try and contact them since you can't by phone (even though their contact us webpage has a nice little graphic of a woman on the phone).

Anyone have a direct phone number for them?

Now I guess I have to wait until I can get the updated part.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Pro

Guys, I just spoke to a local dealer(SF Bay Area) of the USASpec and he is willing to do the new part at $119 if I can get 4 orders together. He said USA Spec said they would have them shippable the later part of this week.

Anyone interested?
Old 08-22-2006, 07:03 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by brianp6621
Guys, I just spoke to a local dealer(SF Bay Area) of the USASpec and he is willing to do the new part at $119 if I can get 4 orders together. He said USA Spec said they would have them shippable the later part of this week.

Anyone interested?

Count me in! I just want to be sure this is the updated version. Will he give us a price break on the Y-adaptor?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by rwntx
Count me in! I just want to be sure this is the updated version. Will he give us a price break on the Y-adaptor?
I didn't even ask him about the y-adapter as I had already ordered it from enfigcarstereo.

This is definitely the new version because when I contacted him, he called and got the information about the updated version and reported the EXACT same info btwix got and posted in this thread. The new version has the Y after the model name.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by btrand
who sells the newest version? Also, has the latest upgrade corrected ALL the issues in the past. I have been waiting until they finally had the unit working perfectly and am ready to pick this one up, assuming everything functions as it should.
As best I can tell all of the issues that have previously been reported on this thread have been solved with the updated unit. I have been using mine now for about 2 weeks and it works flawlessly.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news that everything is finally working as it should! Can't wait to get one, just need to find out where!!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Pro

I finally got the PA11-HON2Y installed. Everything works great but I had one expectation that wasn't met. I thought that since the ipod pauses under all other circumstances the ipod would also pause when HFL is activated but this is not the case.

Oh well, can't have everything.

Quick Reply: THE alternative to MusicLink is here....