THE alternative to MusicLink is here....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:41 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed this unit this weekend. And all i can say is AWESOME! It took me 30 minutes to get everything installed. Wasn't very hard at all. Best part about this unit just plug and play. No wires to cut for power and ground. There's a auxillary intput so all i have left to do is hook up Dom's unit to it and I''m done. Out of all the stuff i've seen out there, this is the best and easiest to install.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:24 PM
g-1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rx7magic
I just installed this unit this weekend. And all i can say is AWESOME! It took me 30 minutes to get everything installed. Wasn't very hard at all. Best part about this unit just plug and play. No wires to cut for power and ground. There's a auxillary intput so all i have left to do is hook up Dom's unit to it and I''m done. Out of all the stuff i've seen out there, this is the best and easiest to install.
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I just bought the USASPEC PA 11 HN2 from Crutchfield. They have it IN STOCK for all of those who are running into issues finding this unit.

I did a search, but couldn't find what i was looking for. I was wondering if someone has a link to the instructions for the dash removal in an Acura 04 TL.

Rx7magic since it only took you 30 minutes... What did you refer to while installing your USASPEC PA 11 HON2?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
g-1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by g-1
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I just bought the USASPEC PA 11 HN2 from Crutchfield. They have it IN STOCK for all of those who are running into issues finding this unit.

I did a search, but couldn't find what i was looking for. I was wondering if someone has a link to the instructions for the dash removal in an Acura 04 TL.

Rx7magic since it only took you 30 minutes... What did you refer to while installing your USASPEC PA 11 HON2?
i found this post. seems pretty helpful. are there any other ones?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90964
Old 03-29-2006, 08:34 AM
g-1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by g-1
i found this post. seems pretty helpful. are there any other ones?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90964
Did the install of this unit last night. It took me about 1 hour. RX7magic provided me with some good tips. The install is the easiest when you remove the silver trim using a butter knife, then remove the panel below the steering wheel, then the driver side knee panel.

I am experiencing the same issues that the other users have posted here. When switching between modes, the IPOD will need to be 'restarted' again, by hitting disc up/down. I have also run into other issues, where it will show CDC on the radio when the car is first turned on, then when switching to another mode then back to CDC, it will show an AM Station instead of CDC. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The closest I can find at Crutchfield is 581PA11HON (replaces PA10) but their site indicates it's not compaatible with a 2005 TL with NAVI. Has anyone had success installing this on a 2005 TL with NAVI?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 AM
g-1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
The closest I can find at Crutchfield is 581PA11HON (replaces PA10) but their site indicates it's not compaatible with a 2005 TL with NAVI. Has anyone had success installing this on a 2005 TL with NAVI?
rdxsteverino,

Crutchfield does have the HON2. Item #581PA11HN2

You can find it here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sbjdlqP...p?i=581PA11HN2

Note: Crutchfield does not list this as being compatible with my 2004 TL, but it does work. I installed it and it is working.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Advanced

Works in my '05 w/NAV

- AEM CAI
- Magnaflow SS Mufflers
- Magnaflow 22" Resonator
- 35% Formula 1 Tint
- USA SPEC iPod Interface
- Hardwired Cobra Radar Detector
- Hacked Nav (w/Trip Computer)
Old 03-30-2006, 02:44 PM
9th Gear

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...PA11_HON2.html

They have them. Better price...
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rx7magic

They have good customer service too.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:28 PM
9th Gear

Has anyone hooked this up with Dom's video? I'm getting ready to do this weekend.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:58 PM
10th Gear

Confused

Im a little confused because there is so much information here its a bit hard to read through it all and still comeout facing the right direction. I am hoping I can just post my current setup and someone else will have the same thing and tell me what I need.

I have a 2005 Acura TL with Navi
an iPOD video 30gb (4th Gen)
Want to maintain XM capabilities

I want the best way to hook it up and it seems like with this USA Spec device it would be optimal becasue I would be able to see track info in direct mode.

Thx if anyone can help.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bob-

I have a 2004 TL w/Navi and have installed the Usa Spec adapter. I have also retained my XM radio. I'm using a Nano and a 3rd Gen 20g.
You need to purchase the following::

1.Usa Spec Quantity: 1
Product ID: PA11-HON2
Product Name: USASpec PA11-HON2 2003-Up Honda Aux. Input + Interface for Ipod
Price: $119.98
Select Vehicle - 2004-06 TL

----------------------
Purchase Summary
----------------------
Quantity: 1
Product ID: HON03-F/MM
Product Name: PIE HON03-F/MM (08A31-0F1-000) 2003-Up Honda Navigation harness
Price: $19.98 (Otherwise known as the Y-Harness.) For Xm.

I ordered everything from http://www.discountcarstereo.com/

I don't have any issues with it works like a charm. Just change the unit to direct mode to retain function of the IPOD.

Install can be a pain...just be patient!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:34 PM
10th Gear

Awesome

Wow thanks for the help. I spoke to the guy from enfig car stereo today and he was pretty cool except he told me the unit has been on back order for a long time and he only gets a few at time. I asked about the blitzsafe and that one is getting reengineered but also has been back ordered for a long long time.

Im dying for this i might just do the MusicLink.

I appreciate the post! Im going to try to wait but im jonzing for it.

Also, Discount Stereo is out of stop too.. i checked there right after i got the last post.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:44 PM
10th Gear

w00t

OK OK OK im so excited!!!

Crutchfield stocks the actual unit and supposedly has many in stock. They didnt have the y adapter so i ordered that and a proclip to hold my ipod in view so i can see the track info... i hope the proclip doesnt look too goofy.

PROCLIP!

Anyway

All ordered cant wait to install it!

Thanks for the info.

Bob
Old 04-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobNeub
Wow thanks for the help. I spoke to the guy from enfig car stereo today and he was pretty cool except he told me the unit has been on back order for a long time and he only gets a few at time. I asked about the blitzsafe and that one is getting reengineered but also has been back ordered for a long long time.

Im dying for this i might just do the MusicLink.

I appreciate the post! Im going to try to wait but im jonzing for it.

Also, Discount Stereo is out of stop too.. i checked there right after i got the last post.

Do not do the Music Link! Discount should get them back in quickly. When I was researching this mod and finally decided on the Usa Spec it was backordered...only took like a week for them to get it back in. If you are really in a hurry try Crutchfield.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:53 PM
10th Gear

Got it

Ducati,

Thx for your help, got unit at crutchfield and other components at Enfig. Crutchfield was the same price as discount and enfig.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Canada?

Hey can anyone tell me if the usa spec unit works in the Canadian version ?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Instructor

I am getting the unit in a few days and wanted to make sure that you can keep your factory XM. I see I need the unit and the Y adapter and the guy I called from the online store said that is all I need. If anyone knows something else I need please tell me, thanks.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:35 AM
10th Gear

partial

I recieved the unit from crutchfield but I am waiting for my Y adapter the ipod holder. I hope it comes today so I can throw this in over the weekend.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:14 PM
10th Gear

Time on my knees

Wow, I haven’t spent this much time on my knees since I got out of prison.

Ok so I got the y adapter today and went out and followed the musiclink instructions for removing the stereo (big mistake) 3 hours later i tested it before buttoning up the car, worked like a charm. Put her all back together and ... no go. Well anyway I finally got it working by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes while i put everything back together again. I don’t know if this advice makes sense but disconnect the ground while u do the install. It works like a charm now. Great advice Thanks guys. I have the black 30g Video ipod and it looks so sweet on the proclip mount playing. Anyway glad its over.

BTW, only joking, never been to prison and never been on my knees for anything other then car/home repair and playing with my four children my beautiful wife gave me. Honest.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:31 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Question

I have Navi and I don't really care for XM radio, do I still need Y adapter?
Because I didn't order it.

Did anyone with Navi install USASpec without using the Y adapter and able to get everything working (except XM) ?

Do I just reach over the back of the radio and disconnect the existing white adapter and plug the USASpec adapter in and that is it?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:08 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Last night I sent an e-mail to "carstereodiscount" support and I got a reply this morning right away. Basically, If I don't want to retain XM function, I do not need Y Adapter (save myself $30). I simply need to unplug the existing white plug (XM plug) and plugin the new adapter from USASpec, then that is it.

This morning I followed the instruction from "Crook" at page 4 of this thread, I was able to remove the existing XM Plug and install the USASpec plug within 10 minutes using those 2 simple tools: (The paint can opener - which you can get for free from Home Depot or other paint store + long skinny screw driver).

So far I am LOVING the new USASpec IPod integration. It sounds great and the direct mode of controling Ipod is great as well. One thing I notice that is very nice is that: When I turn off the car, the iPod will automatically pause. Then when I turn on the car, it will auto resume the same song and playlist that where I left off. And in direct mode, the next track and last track on steer wheel control works great as well.

Without the Y Adapter, my XM is completely disable. The XM button on the console doesn't do anything anymore.

I'm loving my iPod again, since it is working nicely with my TL now !!

I'm gonna stick in "direct mode" for a while and will post detail review later this week.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:36 AM
10th Gear

no worth the trouble

I dont use xm either but I did the Y adapter just incase. I would suggest using it, the USASpec unit seems to be a bit finicky.

Also "just reaching over the radio" is a bit smplified... I wouldnt expect a 15 minute install, it took me a few hours on my knees, I think the easist way to do it is be removing the silver trim pieces on either side of the radio, the rear peice of the center console with the armrest on it and then the driver side forward panel covering the left side of the radio, reach in there and fumble for a while and you will get it. I put the box under my passenger seat and run the wire up beside the seat. I can get to the box and the cord is right next to my PROCLIP where i keep the ipod.

Bob
Old 04-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Instructor

my xm with it is really bad...i would recommend something else
Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 AM
TL Loverrrrrrr

I agree with BobNeub. If you are going to install the USASpec, get the Y adapter too even you aren't going to use the XM, so you can just install it once for one. I didn't have the Y adapter over the weekend and I just couldn't wait for it. So I decide to go ahead with the installation without it.

Reach the XM plug from the back and bottom of driver sider is easier if you're not a big guy. I was in that awkward position for 10 minutes, where my head is actually pushing on the brake padal to give meself more room.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Pro

does anyone know if the USA-SPEC is compatible with an 06 TL? I heard that it might not be compatible because the 06's are different from the 04 and 05 TL's.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:36 AM
10th Gear

How is it different?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
does anyone know if the USA-SPEC is compatible with an 06 TL? I heard that it might not be compatible because the 06's are different from the 04 and 05 TL's.
I'm pretty sure there is no difference with the radio on the '06.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zax123
Wow I must admit that this solution is very good. I still like the Drive+Play better because you get the full song names and menus and full control over them using it, but it does sacrifice the OEM look. This is much closer to ideal OEM look. Why couldn't the Music Link be like this? Weird.
Where can I get more information on this Drive+Play? Does it use the navi screen?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mngo
I just installed the adaptor this past weekend. The sound is amazing no interference whats so ever. I am also not using xm. This is a must have if you own an ipod and love the thrill of driving your TL. My only negative note is that when switching from different source of music the ipod fails to continue playing music. But all you have to do is hit the disc up/down button for the music to start. No matter what product you buy there will be it's negative. I am big on sound quality and very satisfied with this product. I can only speak for people not using xm.
What does that mean, "not using XM"? XM came with my car (05 TL w/ navi) with a free trail, but I let it expire with no thought of renewing it. Am I okay?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

General Acura MusicLink Question

If all I want to do is set up a single playlist on my iPod in either shuffle or straight through play mode, and use the steering wheel controls to change tracks, is the MusicLink able to do this?

(I don't care about the ability to search, I just want to be able to press next / previous on the steering wheel, and scroll through my music that way, but still keep XM.)

It's difficult to find information about the MusicLink online, and I'm relatively new to this forum. I'm gettin ready to buy a TL, but want some way of getting music from my ipod into the car (preferrably MusicLink, since it's dealer installed, and there won't be any possible warranty disputes with it)

Thanks

-Nate
Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NateWithOCD

If all I want to do is set up a single playlist on my iPod in either shuffle or straight through play mode, and use the steering wheel controls to change tracks, is the MusicLink able to do this?

(I don't care about the ability to search, I just want to be able to press next / previous on the steering wheel, and scroll through my music that way, but still keep XM.)

It's difficult to find information about the MusicLink online, and I'm relatively new to this forum. I'm gettin ready to buy a TL, but want some way of getting music from my ipod into the car (preferrably MusicLink, since it's dealer installed, and there won't be any possible warranty disputes with it)

Thanks

-Nate
yes,
the MusicLink will allow you to select next and prev tracks from the headunit / sterring wheel just as if it was a cd ... with 1000 songs..

the USA spec adaptor does the same, but will NOT lock the ipod so that you CAN control it from the ipod itself (the musiclink will lock it and only allow control from the headunit/steeringwheel)
Old 04-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by maninvan
Hey can anyone tell me if the usa spec unit works in the Canadian version ?
Yes

in the Canadian version, we dont haev XM - so the port is just open - whereas the US spec version requires a Y cable to add music link , in addition to XM - the Y cable should be included when u order, although it is not needed
Old 04-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro

Do NOT get the Music Link. I just recently got a new 06 TL and got the Music Link installed as part of the package. The USA SPEC here is definitely a much better buy and if you want to do the Nav to DVD conversion later, it's virtually impossible later if you have the Music Link installed to get crisp audio, Aux in sound.

I'm getting my Music Link uninstalled this weekend and putting in the USA SPEC. I wish I had known this before I paid the extra money to get the Music Link installed. And now Acura won't refund it!
Old 04-29-2006, 12:54 PM
10th Gear

Where can I get the USA spec

Does anyone know where you can get the USA Spec I Pod adapter? I ordered one from Enfig car stereo a month ago and they are still on backorder. They also charged me for the unit already even though they never shipped it. I am currently trying to cancel that order because I am tired of waiting. If I can get my account credited I would like to know if there is somewhere else I can go that might actually have one?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:57 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

www.discountcarstereo.com ( i think it is on backorder too), try also crutchfield.com
Old 04-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Instructor

I bought the adapter off ebay for $121 shipped.

My XM has been expired for a few months now, so I opted out of the Y-cable.

I followed the instruction to do the install by reaching under and behind the dash instead of taking it apart. It took me about 30 minutes to connect it up and tuck away the cabling. I installed it so that the box is under the drivers seat and the cable comes up the side of the console.

Waacow suggested the paint lid opener, and it's perfect for unhooking the connector. It has a little hook on it that works perfectly for releasing the tab and allows you to easily tug out the connector.

To do the install, you'll need:
Paint can opener (free from home depot).
A small flashlight (eg, mini mag lite or a pen shaped flash light).
A long flat head screw driver.

Check out this link:
install instructions

Its a bit awkward to get into the proper position, but with a little patience, its pretty straightforward to swap in and out the connectors.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonyS
Does anyone know where you can get the USA Spec I Pod adapter? I ordered one from Enfig car stereo a month ago and they are still on backorder. They also charged me for the unit already even though they never shipped it. I am currently trying to cancel that order because I am tired of waiting. If I can get my account credited I would like to know if there is somewhere else I can go that might actually have one?
I ordered from Enfig as well. They told me that it was backordered and would be in within two weeks. Three weeks later, all I had was a credit card bill. I canceled and they were good about giving me my money back. Not entirely there fault - if they can't get'em they can't ship'em... Just don't charge me for something you can't give me!

Looking for one as well.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro

I just ordered mine from Crutchfield and recently got it installed. It's amazing and I highly recommend it to everyone out there!

Crutchfield always seems to have a good number in stock and they ship fast so you should try them.

Their website is www.crutchfield.com.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:32 AM
10th Gear

I ordered mine from crutchfield. got it in 2 days. ordered y adapter and mount from enfig.

Quick Reply: THE alternative to MusicLink is here....