THE alternative to MusicLink is here....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE alternative to MusicLink is here....

USA SPEC PA11-HON12

...at a fraction of the cost!! First off, I gotta say thanks to audo_to_TL for finding this unit.

This unit allows iPod integration in two modes. It will function the same as MusicLink in the "Playlist Mode" or it will allow you to control playback through the iPod in "Direct Mode"!!

It connects to the 14-pin white connector (XM) and that's it!! No power tap is required. The CDC cable goes to the unit where there is an iPod cable and 1 AUX-IN. I didn't care to retain the XM since I subscribe to Sirius but they DO sell a Y-cable for $20 to allow you to retain XM.

I installed the unit last night and so far it works as advertised. In playlist mode I was able to select 1-5 playlists by using Disc 1-5 and Disc 6 functions as an AUX-IN.

I switched to "Direct Mode" and was able to control everything through the iPod or through the radio/steering controls. Disc Up/Down, Track Up/Down, and FF/RW all functioned. In this mode Disc 5 is the iPod and Disc 6 is the AUX-IN. Since these are the only two Disc's available pressing the Disc Up or Down button continually switches between the two. When you turn off the car, the iPod stops and starts charging (for up to an hour after you leave the car). When you come back and turn the car back on, the iPod resumes where you left off.

I hooked up my Sirius to the AUX-IN and that's working well. Wasn't the quality that I expected but it is an improvement over the FM Modulator. I'm guessing it's the Sirius codec that's not up to par so I'm going to plug my iPod into the AUX-IN to test the quality.

The only problem I've seen so far is that when the unit is active (CDC mode) the Disc and Track number do not display (on the Nav or the upper dash display). Also, the iPod cable is only 2-3 ft long so depending on where you place the unit your choices for iPod mounting are limited. I drilled a whole in the back of my compartment directly below the radio and ran the cable in there.

Another quirk I've seen, but it may be a feature, is that when you switch to another source (FM,CD,etc) then back to the unit (CDC) the iPod is paused and it requres a press of Disc Up/Down to un-pause.

You can find the unit here http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=879 for about $135. I actually received the unit from them 3 days ahead of schedule!!

Here are some pics...

Old 02-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i wish i could believe it....but i don't think even with the y-connector....u will retain XM....
Old 02-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice write up ... i am on the edge. I dont need to spend any more money!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i wish i could believe it....but i don't think even with the y-connector....u will retain XM....
You will retain XM ... How do think the music link retains the xm?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Will I have to remove the headunit if I am only doing iPod integration?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iamthebert
Will I have to remove the headunit if I am only doing iPod integration?
Nope, remove aluminum trim, remove center console, remove underside of drivers dash, remove side console panel. After that you can reach the 14-pin connector, its the one closet to you on the drivers side.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Wants an M3 in

^ not if you are careful. some people have had luck reaching around and unplugging the xm.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Wants an M3 in

question: does the HU supply power to the interface or do u need an external power src
Old 02-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
question: does the HU supply power to the interface or do u need an external power src
Correct, HU supplies the power. No power tap is necessary.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is it the first 5 playlists?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Wants an M3 in

is what the first 5 playlists?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
is it the first 5 playlists?
The way it works is...

You can name five playlists HONDA1, HONDA2, HONDA3, HONDA4, HONDA5 (you can add characters after i.e. HONDA1_Blues) and those are the 5 it will play. If you don't have any of those playlists it will play the first 5. You can also just have HONDA1 and it will pick up the next 4.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Racer

For those who don't pay attention, the USA Spec is already being discussed here

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/thinkin-about-buying-350z-vert-130864/

USA Spec does NOT currently list it on it's web site yet. Discount car stereo is marketing it as compatible, but with possible noise issues when retaining XM. Read the other thread for updates.

jjh1234
Old 02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice find Jay!!! I've been on the fence between the Acura Music Link and the other options. Have you contacted Usa Spec regarding the track and disc number not being displayed? Not really a big deal just curious...
Old 02-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Racer

My guess would be that it does not send the serial data back to the HU. Not a big deal really. That info is not really all that helpful in the first place. I think this unit will be the best alternative to the music link for those who are looking for an OEM look and feel. I just hope that USA Spec will certify it for use with the TL and ease my fear of the possible noise problems when retaining XM.

jjh1234
Old 02-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Racer

Jay,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the operating mode is chosen during installation, and can't be changed without getting back to the "brain" and changing the DIP switches.

jjh1234
Old 02-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jjh1234
Jay,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the operating mode is chosen during installation, and can't be changed without getting back to the "brain" and changing the DIP switches.

jjh1234
That is correct. I put it in an accesible place in case I decide to change. That would be a great feature though.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ducati748R
Nice find Jay!!! I've been on the fence between the Acura Music Link and the other options. Have you contacted Usa Spec regarding the track and disc number not being displayed? Not really a big deal just curious...
I haven't contacted them. I don't think it's that big of a deal to warrant a phone call.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 AM
SSM 6MT

Awesome... just ordered mine!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:25 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow I must admit that this solution is very good. I still like the Drive+Play better because you get the full song names and menus and full control over them using it, but it does sacrifice the OEM look. This is much closer to ideal OEM look. Why couldn't the Music Link be like this? Weird.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

I am thinking... what if I get USA-Spec and D+P and will have a dual iPod interface? Just for a heck of it...
Old 02-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Advanced

jaymd123, have you found a place to put the brain of the usaspec yet?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered TL User

Hey guys,
Does anyone know a good installer in the LA area (Burbank) who could install this for me? I dont want my already rattle prone TL dash to suffer any damages at the hands of an amatuer (that would be me of course
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Advanced

seems like it can be done without removing any panels. check this out, it showed you how to reach behind the radio to unplug the XM port. I am going to try it out myself this weekend. The thing you will have to worry is when you take it to a shop, they won't pay much attention to this job because it's really low budget. The most they can charge you for installation is only $100.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Advanced

jaymd123, have you found a place to put the brain of the usaspec yet?
I stuck it on the passenger side, underneath the carpet under the dash. There is no visible bulge or anything.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

has abyone installed this yet with the Y-Adapter for XM too.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by denm316a
has abyone installed this yet with the Y-Adapter for XM too.
Visit Discount Car Stereo and read the compatability notes provided. Follow the links and then form your opinion before you read my response. I came to one conclusion and can be found here.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Visit Discount Car Stereo and read the compatability notes provided. Follow the links and then form your opinion before you read my response. I came to one conclusion and can be found here.
I am a little confused now. Jaymd123, is your in-dash CD changer still working after installation.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

I am a little confused now. Jaymd123, is your in-dash CD changer still working after installation.
I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit. My concern was with the XM Sat Radio and the external CD changer has really nothing to do with it. The XM interface uses the Aux port on the TL HU. jaymd has a sirius receiver connected to the unit's (PA-11 HON2) AUX-IN. There is a Y cable (HONO3-F/MM) available however the NOTE under the product description says otherwise then refers you to their X3 Products. When one thing is stated on one page and then contradicted on the next, a red flag goes up. Whether it's specific to Honda only or Honda/Acura, I don't know. If someone else has a different view of it, please chime in. At the present time, Ipod integration is not on my list of priorities.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Racer

I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit. My concern was with the XM Sat Radio and the external CD changer has really nothing to do with it. The XM interface uses the Aux port on the TL HU. jaymd has a sirius receiver connected to the unit's (PA-11 HON2) AUX-IN. There is a Y cable (HONO3-F/MM) available however the NOTE under the product description says otherwise then refers you to their X3 Products. When one thing is stated on one page and then contradicted on the next, a red flag goes up. Whether it's specific to Honda only or Honda/Acura, I don't know. If someone else has a different view of it, please chime in. At the present time, Ipod integration is not on my list of priorities.
Weather or not you can keep XM depends upon the AUX input / iPod interface you are using, not the Y-Cable itself. The Music Link uses a Y-Cable and keeps XM just fine. From what I have read, the PIE X3 and USA Spec models work the same way.

My concern is that the Music Link was developed by Alpine especially for this application and therefore switches between XM and iPod audio perfectly. Other manufacturers such as X3 and USA Spec don't seem to be doing as well since we keep hearing about noise and XM bleed thru.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Cruisin'

If I am no longer using my factory xm receiver can I replace with the USASpec? Will I continue to have a fully functional cd-changer? Thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mngo
If I am no longer using my factory xm receiver can I replace with the USASpec? Will I continue to have a fully functional cd-changer? Thanks
Do you mean the 6-Disc internal changer? None of these AUX inputs cause any problems with the internal changer. It will be fine.

jjh1234
Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jjh1234
Weather or not you can keep XM depends upon the AUX input / iPod interface you are using, not the Y-Cable itself. The Music Link uses a Y-Cable and keeps XM just fine. From what I have read, the PIE X3 and USA Spec models work the same way.

My concern is that the Music Link was developed by Alpine especially for this application and therefore switches between XM and iPod audio perfectly. Other manufacturers such as X3 and USA Spec don't seem to be doing as well since we keep hearing about noise and XM bleed thru.
jjh, I concur with what you're saying. Here's what raised a red flag for me. When I was on the discount stereo site yesterday, there was a note following the description of the Y cable (PIE HON03-R/MM) stating the item cannot be used to retain factory XM. If you have factory XM refer to our X3 products. I checked the site today and apparently it has been removed/updated. That being the case, the PA11-HON2 would be a viable option inplace of the Music Link. Damn, I should've taken a snapshot of that page.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Instructor

This thing looks sweet. Too bad it doesn't display track data. Then it would be perfect.

If anyone installs the xm y-cable, let us know if there's any interference.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Yes, in-dash CD changer is unaffected by this mod.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Wants an M3 in

jjh, I concur with what you're saying. Here's what raised a red flag for me. When I was on the discount stereo site yesterday, there was a note following the description of the Y cable (PIE HON03-R/MM) stating the item cannot be used to retain factory XM. If you have factory XM refer to our X3 products. I checked the site today and apparently it has been removed/updated. That being the case, the PA11-HON2 would be a viable option inplace of the Music Link. Damn, I should've taken a snapshot of that page.
I saw the same note hawhyen51. I assumed they have that there because it is a PIE product used in conjunction with PIE stuff. They just found a new use for it with the usaspec stuff. The usaspec SHOULD work just like the music link which uses a y-cable just like the PIE one that states it wont work. That probably made no sense ....
Old 02-11-2006, 07:21 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

I connected the USA-Spec adapotr today. Didn't have time to do full install, but at least I could check how it works. My first impressions are:
1. Build quality is pretty good. iPod cable is thinner and more flexible than Music Link, but the cable is somewhat shorter.
2. Audio quality is the same as with Music Link, i.e very good.
3. XM Radio works, when installed with 14 pin Y cable.
4. Aux input untested, but seems to work, the adaptor switches to it as advertised.
5. Steering wheel controls work fine in "Direct" mode, all iPod controls and dispays are retained.

Now the bad:
1. After I switch from iPod to any other source, when I swithc back there is no audio from iPod. The only solution is to turn off the stereo, wait untill "AUDIO OFF" disappears from the navi screen and turn it back on. I hope that this is a problem with my unit and can be corrected.
2 Car dispaly doesn't show disk or track number.
3 It doesn't stop iPod when Hands Free Link is activated. Music Link did the same thing, so my guess that this problem is here to stay.
4. Connectors don't click in place, like with Music Link, so there is a potential for loose connections. Have to careful when installing.
5. "Playlist mode" (a.k.a "OK to disconnect") didn't seem to work well, but my testing of it was very short.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Wants an M3 in

for bad:
4. what exactly do you mean the connectors didnt click in place? the connectors to the ipod or the HU?
5. did you name the playlists in itunes before trying this? There are requirements ...
Old 02-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Wants an M3 in

Also another question: is the volume better than XM? CDs tend to be the loudest. Is the volume equivalent to the CD player?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:32 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
for bad:
4. what exactly do you mean the connectors didnt click in place? the connectors to the ipod or the HU?
5. did you name the playlists in itunes before trying this? There are requirements ...
4. When using Music Link, cables from iPod and car have locking connectors on Music Link brain side. Cables from USA-Spec have regular connectors. It shouldn't be an issue when installed correctly
5 No, I didn't. I have little time to play with the system. It is snowing here Anyway, I never understood a point of playlists and intend to use only "Direct" mode.

I didn't try to compare the same tracks on built-in CD and iPod yet, but it seems that they both have the same volume. I don't have XM subscription, but Emergency channel sounds OK.

So far this adaptor looks pretty good. If not for the problem 1, I would be totally happy.

Quick Reply: THE alternative to MusicLink is here....