Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow... Lots of crazy new LEDs from autolumination

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
These pics kinda got me sold on the 1watt LEDs and true they are ALOT easier to install, as compared to cold cathode.

But what i am afraid of is the complaints about LEDs that stop working all of a sudden. Any comments anyone?

Side note: Has anyone ran their cold cathodes for more than a year now? Wanna know if the cold weather would do anything to the transformers.
So far I have 4 months on mine with no problems even in the 30 degree temps we have gotten down too.

Kracker has gone almost a year with no problems.

They do take about 20 sec to warm up though to full brightness. But even at the lowest brightness they are brighter than the factory ones.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Kennedy quit screwing around and do the backup lights
Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
That does look good if its LED's. Looks just like the Cathodes.
Those ARE the 1W Leds you see in the picture...
Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by trancemission
Kennedy quit screwing around and do the backup lights
I'm trying... Autolumination is not the most customer service oriented company I've worked with.

Here's the email chain... I'm unsure what to do next.

HI-

I understand your concern, but we don't like dealing with returns anymore that you like having to return items. We normally charge a 20% restesting/restocking fee for returns, and our cost of managing the returns is much higher than that. We actually had to hire a full tim employee just to manage returns, so you can imagine how much cost there is in that for us.

I think the best alternative is to try one of each bulb first to see if it works ok for you.

That way neither of us are put out too much.

I would recommend the #921 matrix, 7443 SMT tower and 194 Supernova for license plates.

Thanks for understanding.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but I am under alot of pressure to not encourage any sales if we expect to get returns as a result.

For the best prices and selection on all automotive bulbs........

Please Visit our Website at: www.autolumination.com

Thank you
Chris Bacon

Please Note: We now offer combined shipping on website orders only!

Paypal ID (superlumination@cox.net)
Mail Payments to:
Chris Bacon
PO Box 1642
Higley, AZ 85236-1642
For rapid delivery, be sure to list colors and types for all orders along with payment.

----- Original Message -----
To: Superlumination
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: Interesting in outfitting my car with LEDs.

I have a 2006 Acura TL. I'm interested in a set of 7443/7440 Led for front and rear turn signals, and multiple sets of 921/194 LED for interior dome, license plate, reverse illumination, and door illum. I'm also curious to your input on what you think would work

Although I understand your position, I'm not prepared to fork over $100+ to try out Leds that may not work well in my application. Is there another way I could test a few of these out? Perhaps you could send me a single demo led of a few that I'm interested in to try out? I'm an adult, not a dumbass kid trying to scam you, and I'd be willing to share contact information for your protection.

I've had bad experiences with wasting money on leds in the past... some don't fit, some produce too much glare, some produce a single "superbright" point of light, but the vehicle lens doesn't produce enough scatter... All issues I'd like to resolve before I order.

I hope you can work with me,
Thanks,
Chris Kennedy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jan 9, 2007 9:32 PM
To: kennedyusmc@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Interesting in outfitting my car with LEDs.

Hi Chris-

I like the postings.

Generally we prefer not do go thru the buy-return routine, because mail order returns are very costly for us and you.

I can tell you that you generally get what you pay for, and the more expensive leds will outperform the lower cost leds significantly.

Most of the higher end leds will all look about the same once they are installed in the lens housings.

If you send me the model and model year of your car, I can make a recommendation of what I would do, and what will look the best for the best prices.

Thank you

Chris Bacon

Please Note: We now offer combined shipping on website orders only!

Paypal ID (superlumination@cox.net)
Mail Payments to:
Chris Bacon
PO Box 1642
Higley, AZ 85236-1642
For rapid delivery, be sure to list colors and types for all orders along with payment.

----- Original Message -----
To: superlumination@cox.net
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:46 PM
Subject: Interesting in outfitting my car with LEDs.

Chris,
I've been browsing your website for some time now, and found all kinds of neat new led products I'm interested in for my car. I'm having trouble making up my mind which LED's you offer would be ideal in my interior and turn signals. The descriptions all kind of read the same, so I'm a bit conflicted on which to order. I;ve never seen a 3W led, so I'm interested in comparing brightness as well.

What is your return policy?

I'm considering ordering a pair of every set that look appealing to try them all out in different configurations on the car. Would I be able to return the extra LEDs that I didn't like?

FWIW, I'd be willing to photdocument the install and post it on www.acurazine.com, and point all the interested folks to you for additional orders. I've already started that process here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...06#post1628806

LMK, I'm ready to try these out.
Thanks,
Chris Kennedy
No published return policy. They only accept paypal payments, which means there's little way to contest the charges if I return them. They leave little room for customer satisfaction...
They're great if you know what you want, but heaven forbid I get to try a few out. I'm not paying $100 to do thier "test fitting".
Old 01-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

Tell you what Kennedy. I am willing to split the cost with you to try some LED's. I am interested in these as well for signals, license plate, back up, and interior lights. If they work good and you take good pictures of it so I can see, then I can order some of my own and we can work out the cost part then.

For you experiementing on this though I am willing to split the cost with you to help you and help everyone else here know which ones work well, without the blue, and have lots of light.

Let me know.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lokks like the only option they give you Kennedy is either like it or return it. I mean they do have someone that thats their specific job. Put them to work if it doesn't work for you. I mean your loosing a few bucks (20%) if you order 1 to try out and it doesn't wow you.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Kennedy Ill go in with you too. Just let me know.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Tell you what Kennedy. I am willing to split the cost with you to try some LED's. I am interested in these as well for signals, license plate, back up, and interior lights. If they work good and you take good pictures of it so I can see, then I can order some of my own and we can work out the cost part then.

For you experiementing on this though I am willing to split the cost with you to help you and help everyone else here know which ones work well, without the blue, and have lots of light.

Let me know.
Sounds good.
I'm most interested in try the following:

Turn signal:

Turn signal:

Turn signals:

I have one of these that I can include in the photo's to show differentiation:

Plate/Backup/Door/Interior:

I really wish we could get the switchbacks to fit into the front housings...

Which you ones do you want to test?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Try #5 for the backup lights for me. I have a good feeling about that one..
Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

I agree about trying the #5 for the backup lights. The blinkers definitely need to reflect all directions so it lights up the reflector as well. Something to consider is the rear (not sure about the front) needs to be a WHITE led because our tails are RED and to get the most light it needs to be WHITE instead of orange.

I think 1 would work well for the front and rear if its in white. I am not sure if our front blinker bulbs are orange or white with a orange reflector. I haven't really looked at that.

For the interior bulbs, are you going to get white or blue? I like to have the blue in the doors, but the dome and map lights I would like white.

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Sounds good.
I'm most interested in try the following:

Turn signal:

Turn signal:

Turn signals:

I have one of these that I can include in the photo's to show differentiation:

Which you ones do you want to test?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Oh yea one other thing. To use these as blinkers don't we need that resistor thing?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Yep, the rear needs to be white or red. I'm buying a set of custom modified tails:

So I may need red towers. I may do yellow to match the front. For legality purposes, the front running/turn signals should be yellow (white is fine if your headlights are "uncleared")

Yes, you'll need 4 resistors for the turn signals.

For the interior, I think the LED's I listed earlier from superbright leds are great. Amy brighter would be too bright (blind you at night). I was planning on testing the brighter reverse leds in the door (in blue), and of course the reverse/license plate location.

OK, so we got 3 players. Who's testing what?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Ill order #5 and try em out if you want. Gimmie the P/N.. oh yeah gimmie the P/N for the license plate lights you bought too. Those look great....
Old 01-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Obviously I can't try the plate lights but, I am willing to try the back up lights or the interior ones.

Let me know.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
That's the thing with autolumination. I dealt with them once and wanted to return and they wanted to talk me into keeping it somehow!!! They don't want to deal with returns. If your bulb blows they'll blame you. That's why I've advised Tec-toyz for so long. If the bulbs burns out send it back. That's worth it.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
That's the thing with autolumination. I dealt with them once and wanted to return and they wanted to talk me into keeping it somehow!!! They don't want to deal with returns. If your bulb blows they'll blame you. That's why I've advised Tec-toyz for so long. If the bulbs burns out send it back. That's worth it.
I agree with that, but Tec-Toys sells (1) bulb for our TL, and they have been shown to be not very good quality, not as bright, and have a blue/purple tint.

If Tec-Toys carried these I order from them, but unfortunately Tec-Toys just buys LEDS from www.superbrightleds.com, adds markup, and resells them.

So noone is willing to bite on one of the more expensive towers or 3W led for the turns eh?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't the switchbacks work for the '07 TL's?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 PM
2002 NBP TL-S

If ure gonna go with LEDs. go with TechToyz. they are by far the best to work with...
Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by vnguyen
The head is too big to fit in the hole. Only with a dremel, and then the bulb may not seal or lock in place. Roockyfeller tried.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by FrazTL-S
If ure gonna go with LEDs. go with TechToyz. they are by far the best to work with...
Please read this thread before posting.

1) NONE of the LEDs in discussion here are offered by Tec-Toys

2) Many have had quality issues with LEDs bought from Tec-Toys (failures), insufficient brightness, or color issues.

3) Tec toys is buying leds from www.superbrightleds.com and reselling them with markup. No need to do that when you can buy them direct from the source.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by vnguyen
OK, I was thinking about this more. IF you have cleared headlights... Couldn't you insert the switchback into the fog lamp hole and fish it around to blinker hole?

Rockyfeller where are you on this one?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:48 PM
King of NYC

Just PMed you

but to answer your question.....well I never thought of that idea. Technically I wouldn't have to "fish" at all. When I clear the headlights, the outer lens will be fully removed with open access to the socket. That could definitely work but then again your bulb is permanently locked in place.

If you ever had to get that bulb out, you'd have to open up that headlight again! I'd rather be able to readily get at the bulb externally at will. I will spend the time and carefully dremel JUST enough to keep a clean tight seal.

LEDs supposedly have a "lifetime" service life but for whatever reason I have had a TON of LEDs burn out on me on numerous vehicles. I don't trust their reliability or durability.

BTW even if tec-toyz is reselling as rumored, I don't mind the markup. If a couple bulbs burn out and get replaced for free it pays for itself.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:55 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Just PMed you

but to answer your question.....well I never thought of that idea. Technically I wouldn't have to "fish" at all. When I clear the headlights, the outer lens will be fully removed with open access to the socket. That could definitely work but then again your bulb is permanently locked in place.

If you ever had to get that bulb out, you'd have to open up that headlight again! I'd rather be able to readily get at the bulb externally at will. I will spend the time and carefully dremel JUST enough to keep a clean tight seal.

LEDs supposedly have a "lifetime" service life but for whatever reason I have had a TON of LEDs burn out on me on numerous vehicles. I don't trust their reliability or durability.

BTW even if tec-toyz is reselling as rumored, I don't mind the markup. If a couple bulbs burn out and get replaced for free it pays for itself.
I love those switchbacks, I talked my bud into installing a set on his 350Z... now he digs em too.

I thought about the clearing thing too... alternatively, to remove a busted led (assuming it would fit through the fog lamp hole), you could unplug the connector and opush the led into the housing, remove the fog lamp, then reach through the fog lamp hole and fish the led out.

It's a PITA, but it might work. Your dremel approach is probably more prudent though.

If you get a moment, why don't you see if one of those switchback's will fit throught the fog hole.

superbrigthleds.com has something like a 60 return policy too... and I'd pay a few bucks extra for that kind of warranty service... If only he sold beter leds. Those 9 cluster are old news nowadays.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Kennedy, didn't hear back from you on what we decided to all order?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
King of NYC

I love those switchbacks, I talked my bud into installing a set on his 350Z... now he digs em too.

I thought about the clearing thing too... alternatively, to remove a busted led (assuming it would fit through the fog lamp hole), you could unplug the connector and opush the led into the housing, remove the fog lamp, then reach through the fog lamp hole and fish the led out.

It's a PITA, but it might work. Your dremel approach is probably more prudent though.

If you get a moment, why don't you see if one of those switchback's will fit throught the fog hole.

superbrigthleds.com has something like a 60 return policy too... and I'd pay a few bucks extra for that kind of warranty service... If only he sold beter leds. Those 9 cluster are old news nowadays.

Well I haven't cleared the lights yet so the amber lens is still in place and in the way.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Well I haven't cleared the lights yet so the amber lens is still in place and in the way.
I justy want to know if the led head will fit in teh fog hole... otherwise dremmeling is the onlt way.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Team Anthracite #100

I justy want to know if the led head will fit in teh fog hole... otherwise dremmeling is the onlt way.
Even if it clears the hole, it won't fit past the reflector assy.

Give it a couple of months and someone will figure out how to do the Swictback smaller.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by KBOM
Even if it clears the hole, it won't fit past the reflector assy.

Give it a couple of months and someone will figure out how to do the Swictback smaller.
I know, that's why I said you could only do this with cleared headlights... You don;t really "need" the switchbacks unless you have cleared headlights
Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

Ken, can you please respond to me above. I apperciate it.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
any updates on the lights?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Racer

i know this probably was mentioned in this thread already but i cant find it. Also, i would like to make sure I am getting the right one. what is the part number for the dome lights, bottom door lights, and license plate. thanx
Old 01-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Much better close up:

This looks great, nice light output, very even spread, & great color

Those pics (the LED is what you see in the 1st pic) is the 1W LED's from www.superbrightleds.com

Order here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b....10722&next=50

Order (2) WLED-WHP Pure White High Power

Done. Cant' wait to see the difference in person.
Thanks Kennedy
Old 01-20-2007, 03:01 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Ken, can you please respond to me above. I apperciate it.
Shit, sorry dude. Just saw this. Let's get back on track.

OK, I'm gonna order one of each of these this weekend:

I'm really hung up on the switchback for the front (once I get my headlights cleared.

I also have one of these in my possession to demonstrate the difference between the towers:

Which ones do you guys wanna test out?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:05 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shit, sorry dude. Just saw this. Let's get back on track.

OK, I'm gonna order one of each of these this weekend:

Which ones do you guys wanna test out?
Ive bought this one and tested it out.

It has the same brightness as 32 leds. I got the red one, the difference is this one is more reddish than 32 leds.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

I can test the back up lights. Tell me which one we can both agree on that will produce the most light and will work in the back ups.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by hrj_1985
Ive bought this one and tested it out.

It has the same brightness as 32 leds. I got the red one, the difference is this one is more reddish than 32 leds.
Coudl you snap a pic?

Which one is "32 leds" Have a pic of that for comparison?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:07 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coudl you snap a pic?

Which one is "32 leds" Have a pic of that for comparison?
I will take a few pics tomorrow, its very bright, not as bright as stock bulb but its the brightest LEDs ive seen so far.

this one
Old 01-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Terminex

1W interior LED lights

All,
I just ordered a pair of white, and a pair of blue 1W LED's to try out. I will let you know how they are.
they are $8.00/pair shipped from "warden_jp2002" on ebay
here is the link to one of the pairs:
White 1 W LED's
Old 01-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wont these work better as reverse light?

Only 15mm diameter x 36mm overall

9 Super Hi-Powered Super-Flux leds Emit Light in All Directions
921 matrix bulb

Can someone tell me what is the differnce between 194/168/921 bulb sizes....are they interchangable??
Old 01-21-2007, 06:40 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Tonywp75
Wont these work better as reverse light?

Only 15mm diameter x 36mm overall

9 Super Hi-Powered Super-Flux leds Emit Light in All Directions
921 matrix bulb

Can someone tell me what is the differnce between 194/168/921 bulb sizes....are they interchangable??
Yep, I ordered one of those, and one of the other clusetr style to review.
Patience grasshopper.

Quick Reply: Wow... Lots of crazy new LEDs from autolumination