When Closing drivers door...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003 | 05:56 PM
Troublemaker

When Closing drivers door...

When the window is up, the sound is great... however when the window is rolled down, sounds like a cheap plastic door and it rattles... Anyone else notice this?
Old 12-15-2003 | 06:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: When Closing drivers door...

Originally posted by Turbowhat2
When the window is up, the sound is great... however when the window is rolled down, sounds like a cheap plastic door and it rattles... Anyone else notice this?
For me, I don't like the sound if you close the door when one of others is opened. Understand what you said, but what can we do? Always rolling up windows before closing doors?...
Old 12-15-2003 | 10:18 PM
Instructor

Yup, noticed. By the way, the best "closing sounds" in automobiledom come from Audi and VW trunks.
Old 12-16-2003 | 12:03 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

yeah,
my driver door rattles when I close it too,
but the passenger side doesn't. (or any of the back doors either)
I wonder what's different...
Old 12-16-2003 | 12:16 AM
Pro

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
yeah,
A gust of wind grabbed my door from me when I opened it...

Then, it came loose!!!

it was not closing right... it would sort of hit the bottom or something.

Dealer fixed it free of charge, but never had a door blow off kilter by wind!!!
Old 12-16-2003 | 12:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
yeah,
Probably too obvious, but is there something in the map pocket? That's the only time I hear anything from mine other than a nice solid close.

Mike
Old 12-16-2003 | 09:26 AM
Troublemaker

mine just rattles when the window is down.
Old 12-16-2003 | 09:45 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

This is a very sensible guess... The other thing is, can you hear the rattling when the window is closed? Are people hearing this when they close the door from the outside?

If you're outside, when you close the door with the window up you can't hear anything rattling through the window anyway.

Originally posted by svtmike
Probably too obvious, but is there something in the map pocket? That's the only time I hear anything from mine other than a nice solid close.

Mike
Old 12-16-2003 | 06:37 PM
pjp
Cruisin'

I have to agree that the map pockets do make noise when closing the door. They are sprung and have a tendancy to slap when the door is closed. This isnt a rattle per se but could contribute to the noises you hear when closing the door. I suppose you could glue it shut but why??
Old 12-16-2003 | 07:40 PM
Troublemaker

roll the window down and close your door... youll know what im talking about.
Old 12-16-2003 | 08:12 PM
Intermediate

I thought this was normal given the difference in air pressure with the window closed.
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:02 PM
Troublemaker

Originally posted by dstackle
I thought this was normal given the difference in air pressure with the window closed.
Lexus doors close just as solidly when the windows are down... they dont seem to have this problem (tried it on both my parents' cars)
Old 12-17-2003 | 08:06 AM
Advanced

I noticed the same thing on my sister's 3.2CL.....window closed you get a nice thunk..........window down, you get a rattle
Old 12-17-2003 | 09:32 AM
Advanced

Man, I really hate to think I might become one of you as I'm also becoming somewhat obsessed with this car.

First of all, let's keep in mind the car is only 35K or so. It can't be perfect.
Second, who cares about the freakin' sound of the door? I agree it's a measure of quality to hear a nice thunk with an easy to shut door, but christ almighty! Let's not go overboard about it. Roll the window up if you get your jollies from it that much. Sit in your driveway and close the door 1 million times. Better yet, record it a few times until you get the best "thunk". Then play it through headphones while you sleep. Hahahaha.
Get a life.
Old 12-17-2003 | 10:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by nickademus
Man, I really hate to think I might become one of you as I'm also becoming somewhat obsessed with this car.

First of all, let's keep in mind the car is only 35K or so. It can't be perfect.
Second, who cares about the freakin' sound of the door? I agree it's a measure of quality to hear a nice thunk with an easy to shut door, but christ almighty! Let's not go overboard about it. Roll the window up if you get your jollies from it that much. Sit in your driveway and close the door 1 million times. Better yet, record it a few times until you get the best "thunk". Then play it through headphones while you sleep. Hahahaha.
Get a life.
I don't think you get it nickademus.

The THUNK of the door is one of the major technical advances the TL has.

When you see that TL commercial on TV, and they talk about technology, they mean the sound the door makes.

If the door doesn't make the proper sound, I would return the car, and consider a Dodge Neon perhaps. Or a Hyundai Snotta.

Mike

PS - Another major sound problem is if it is cold in the car and you sneeze... sometimes it sounds different than if you sneese with the sunrooof open and it is warm and someone is sitting int he pack passenger side seat, and key fob 2 is used to open the door. My dealer is waiting for a service bulletin that addresses this problem.

Old 12-17-2003 | 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Man, I really hate to think I might become one of you as I'm also becoming somewhat obsessed with this car. First of all, let's keep in mind the car is only 35K or so. It can't be perfect.
Second, who cares about the freakin' sound of the door?
Nick, maybe you haven't noticed yet, but there are lots of people on this website who love complaining about every little thing they can find wrong with this car. This thread is a classic example of dwelling on the negatives for god knows what purpose. I'm thankful that I can enjoy this car without thinking about the little flaws all the time. I don't know...maybe it makes some people feel better if everyone on here is aware of disappointed they are with a thing like the sound of the door if one happens to get out of the car with the door open. Odd.
Old 12-17-2003 | 10:16 AM
6th Gear

Unhappy

When I close my driver side door, I have a rattle in the left rear driver side engine compartment. I have narrowed it down to the battery hold-down rod. I bought my 2001 TL used, and found out it had been wrecked. So I think that's my noise problem!
Old 12-17-2003 | 02:02 PM
Pro

Overall I've been thinking that the sound of the door closing was really solid. I thought that it was a real quality feel and sound to it.
Old 12-17-2003 | 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by MikeRadio
PS - Another major sound problem is if it is cold in the car and you sneeze... sometimes it sounds different than if you sneese with the sunrooof open and it is warm and someone is sitting int he pack passenger side seat, and key fob 2 is used to open the door. My dealer is waiting for a service bulletin that addresses this problem.

You needed to opt for the sneeze deflector. It installs just under the sunroof and headliner. It effectively changes the audible 'sneeze range' that the average human can hear.
Old 12-17-2003 | 07:09 PM
Troublemaker

Get a life.
One of the main things about this car is that Acura sacrificed actual performance for luxury... Front wheel drive and 500 pounds of excess weight... If they went through all the trouble to make it more luxurious i would expect it to not have it sound like there a broken piece of plastic inside my door when the window is down.

I would have bought a SVT Cobra instead and it would have been more fun to drive. 390 hp on tap and to the rear wheels.
Old 12-17-2003 | 07:15 PM
Team Owner

I really don't get it

If what you really want is a RWD car, why in the world would you pony up 35K for a TL?

Mike
Who maintains that if the TL had been yet another near-luxury RWD car, he would never have bought his.
Old 12-17-2003 | 09:03 PM
Troublemaker

I thought the Interior was nice and there 270 wasnt that bad... but i realize now its not really a drivers car, its more of a sit comfortably in it and have decent acceleration car. Its too heavy for taking turns well.

I wasnt aware that the TL compromised so much performance when i got it. I didnt pony out the money.. i think i let my dad have my $3000 of stocks or so (which were really his anyways)
Old 12-18-2003 | 04:11 AM
Pro

Personally, I do not feel there is anything wrong with pople complaining or whining...

This way, everyone knows if problems are something just THEY experience, just SOME people experience or EVERYONE (about) experiences.

Remember, before the internet, there was no forum like this.

The only think I find weird is when things like the sound the door makes or the tires are not black enough type things come up, which have nothing to do with any problems or the quality of the car... Doors make different sounds.

Mike
Old 12-18-2003 | 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

mmm the Hyundai So-Not-A-Honda