What Does Your TL Say About You?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005 | 09:27 PM
Racer

What Does Your TL Say About You?

I got into a discussion with a friend about how a person's car is often a reflection of their personality, their priorities, and in some cases, their present circumstances. For example, I have a severe bias against people who drive BMWs. I know people love the performance of those cars, but whenever I see someone in one, I can't help but think, "He just bought one to impress people with the BMW nameplate." It sort of reminds me of those people who wear plain Polo shirts with the logo prominently displayed. I laugh at those people cause I feel like asking, "Why don't you just pin the price tag over the polo player cause that's basically what that logo is there for?"

So I was wondering what do you think or what do you hope your TL says about you?

Here is what I think my TL says about me:
-- He likes nice things, but also likes to get his money's worth.
-- He's stylish, but not flashy.
-- He likes to have fun driving.
-- He doesn't need a fancy nameplate to impress people.
-- He's not one of those SUV people.
Old 12-21-2005 | 09:33 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

mines says...Hey Bitch Back off.....lets race...lol
Old 12-21-2005 | 09:50 PM
Instructor

i wear name brand clothes because they are better in material and are better in design not because i want to show i have a 60 dollar shirt. and on the tl mine saids im clean/fresh being that my baby is WDP.you can look but not eveyrthing being that its tinted. im a spoiled young kid and my parents bought me this car being that everythin is stock and cant afford anyhting haha
Old 12-21-2005 | 09:59 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
mines says...Hey Bitch Back off.....lets race...lol

Well, Mine according to a cop that pulled me over says a punk that has weapons and drugs in my car....LOL.. The wife and I were coming back from walmart (i live in a very small town) and a cop totally profiled me and pulled me over, She asked if I knew why I was pulled over and I said don' t have a clue, and she said well ummmm you kinda swayed into the other lane...I looked at her and almost laughed.....Just a young cop that had nothing to do, its a real long story and it kinda pissed me off, and when I told my two close friends that are cops the story they said cops like her give police a bad name...oh well, I got a warning...for what I still don't have a clue.
Old 12-21-2005 | 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

my car says that im stock... lolz
Old 12-21-2005 | 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Mine says "dude you cant shift worth shit"
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:42 PM
REDBULL///AMG

honostly, idk guys but i wear brand name cloths, cuz of the quility, but as far as for my TL
it says
: i have class, i have taste, i make a decent living, and im a hottie lolz

but yea alot of people think my WDP looks better than a BMW or a BENZ
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:44 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I am sure that reactions all depend on who you ask.
Old 12-22-2005 | 12:05 AM
Pro

It says I enjoy the finer things in life but I still appreciate value. BMW's are nice when they are running but maintenance and electrical issues always place it in the shop. I would like to keep my car more than the 4y/50k Warrenty and Maintenance prgm without paying an arm and a leg too keep it running out of warranty.
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:29 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Yesterday mine said to me...Wash me....
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:59 AM
How may I help you.....?

Mine says "Hes a professional with taste, but he WILL fawk you up if he needs to..."

But at night my TL tells me she loves me.....
Old 12-22-2005 | 07:05 AM
I'm Baaack!

Mine's been saying thanks for all the love and attention but get off your ass and have the VSA looked at .....
Old 12-22-2005 | 07:34 AM
All About Trance

I guess mine says that I'm a nice person as I've been getting a lot of "you have a very nice car" compliments. For once, I'd like to be hawt.
Old 12-22-2005 | 07:37 AM

mine says I am open minded, spontaneous... love to have romantic evenings and possibly one night stands if the car was washed the day of. It also says that I dont buy flowers and it shouldnt get in the way of what we both want at the end of the day.
Old 12-22-2005 | 07:56 AM
Horny.

Originally Posted by HondaOnly
I got into a discussion with a friend about how a person's car is often a reflection of their personality, their priorities, and in some cases, their present circumstances. For example, I have a severe bias against people who drive BMWs. I know people love the performance of those cars, but whenever I see someone in one, I can't help but think, "He just bought one to impress people with the BMW nameplate." It sort of reminds me of those people who wear plain Polo shirts with the logo prominently displayed. I laugh at those people cause I feel like asking, "Why don't you just pin the price tag over the polo player cause that's basically what that logo is there for?"

So I was wondering what do you think or what do you hope your TL says about you?

Acura is a Lexury vehicle, and your TL is in market competition w/BMW 3 series.
So other people prefer BMW, and you prefer Acura.

If you really want to more bang for the buck, you should have bought a Honda Accord V6, 6MT.

Get over yourself.
There are a lot more people more intelligent than you out there.

But you are thinking there are a lot more dumber people.
Old 12-22-2005 | 08:36 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by HEK
Funny, mine said the same thing! My NBP is now looking a lot more like a two-tone NBP(top)/Anthracite(bottom) than NBP...
Old 12-22-2005 | 09:00 AM
HMFIC

My TL says "family man who still likes to drive"

If I was single, I would have a 350Z.
Old 12-22-2005 | 09:18 AM
Banned

My says "Another poor bastard on the road on his way to work"
Old 12-22-2005 | 10:03 AM
Resident auto maniac

we have a saying at the dealership that Acura buyers own an acura for 2 reasons..

1. Becasue they Want to and
2. Because they can.
Old 12-22-2005 | 10:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by HEK

Thats what it said to me too..!!!
Old 12-22-2005 | 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
My TL says "family man who still likes to drive"

If I was single, I would have a 350Z.
and more relevant since we've got a kid on the way. (coming in May)
Old 12-22-2005 | 10:59 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by TXXXX
So other people prefer BMW, and you prefer Acura.

If you really want to more bang for the buck, you should have bought a Honda Accord V6, 6MT.

Get over yourself.

He was adding to the thread he started about what the TL says about its owner. If you're going to flame him for it and bring up intelligence, you should at least use spell check (luxery) and grammar check (more dumber).
Old 12-22-2005 | 11:43 AM
So Plain.

well i've decided to take a multi-dimensional approach to how the acura tl defines its driver as a whole throughout the generations.

1996-1998 TL:

-i'm classic
-i'm sleek
-i'm living in the lap of luxury
-you may think my cars old, but its probably nicer than yours
-yes it was 1996 when i bought this
-yes i was one of the first
-and yes, i still have heated leather seats
-my car may have high miles but i can still beat your ricer

1999-2003 TL

-i loved the first one, but this ones even nicer
-i'm know how to take care of myself
-i'm not an exorbitant spender
-my car is futuristic but timelessly classic
-my lines are sleek and refined
-my car can hit 0-60mph in 0.4 seconds less than yours but i paid $22,000 less than you
-my car is clean, it looks clean, and i'm clean. hello, ladies.

2004-2006 TL

-i know luxury when i see it, but i'm fast and i'm furious.
-i may not treasure the big-bodied more classic look of the 1g or 2g
-but dammit i can still be a family man with the kids in the back seat
-or a hell of a racer with myself behind the wheel
-my car is fun, it's got all the bells and whistles
-and my navigation system beats your rand mcnally road map stuffed inside your cheap plastic armrest

ABP: see that blueish blur that just sped past your riced-out civic? yeah, that was me. and i'm fast as shit.
NBP: may as well be a stealth bomber at night. i'm dangerous and i'm mean as shit. and no, i don't have a problem with rolling 2 miles an hour down your street at night with my subs thumping, my tinted windows and my blacked out rims so everybody sees me. what.
WDP: wash your car all you want buddy, but you see this white gleamin in the sun? oh, you cant? cause youre blinded by my WDP TL babyyyy. i'm clean. even when my car is covered in road grime and salt, i will always be clean. i know how to do it upper class and snag all the fly honeys.
SSM: overused? maybe. but as common as silver may be, drop just about any color on a TL and it will look better than your car. thanks.
RRP: please, officer. pull me over. my car is red, aka: cop magnet.
ANT: my car color matches my gun. fuck with me, get fucked up. oh also i bought this car in order to achieve minimal swirl marks when i take it to the car wash, i just hate those damn scratches!
DGP: well, i'm a pretty standard kind of guy. hey - if i drive into a forest i bet you couldnt find me!

and, well.. i guess thats about all i have to say. i tried to be as unbiased as possible.
Old 12-22-2005 | 11:53 AM
Racer

Mine says "DRIVER 1 DETECTED"

When my wife drives it says "DRIVER 2 DETECTED"
Old 12-22-2005 | 11:57 AM
FOR SALE - BM

Originally Posted by amercier
well i've decided to take a multi-dimensional approach to how the acura tl defines its driver as a whole throughout the generations.

1996-1998 TL:

-i'm classic
-i'm sleek
-i'm living in the lap of luxury
-you may think my cars old, but its probably nicer than yours
-yes it was 1996 when i bought this
-yes i was one of the first
-and yes, i still have heated leather seats
-my car may have high miles but i can still beat your ricer

1999-2003 TL

-i loved the first one, but this ones even nicer
-i'm know how to take care of myself
-i'm not an exorbitant spender
-my car is futuristic but timelessly classic
-my lines are sleek and refined
-my car can hit 0-60mph in 0.4 seconds less than yours but i paid $22,000 less than you
-my car is clean, it looks clean, and i'm clean. hello, ladies.

2004-2006 TL

-i know luxury when i see it, but i'm fast and i'm furious.
-i may not treasure the big-bodied more classic look of the 1g or 2g
-but dammit i can still be a family man with the kids in the back seat
-or a hell of a racer with myself behind the wheel
-my car is fun, it's got all the bells and whistles
-and my navigation system beats your rand mcnally road map stuffed inside your cheap plastic armrest

ABP: see that blueish blur that just sped past your riced-out civic? yeah, that was me. and i'm fast as shit.
NBP: may as well be a stealth bomber at night. i'm dangerous and i'm mean as shit. and no, i don't have a problem with rolling 2 miles an hour down your street at night with my subs thumping, my tinted windows and my blacked out rims so everybody sees me. what.
WDP: wash your car all you want buddy, but you see this white gleamin in the sun? oh, you cant? cause youre blinded by my WDP TL babyyyy. i'm clean. even when my car is covered in road grime and salt, i will always be clean. i know how to do it upper class and snag all the fly honeys.
SSM: overused? maybe. but as common as silver may be, drop just about any color on a TL and it will look better than your car. thanks.
RRP: please, officer. pull me over. my car is red, aka: cop magnet.
ANT: my car color matches my gun. fuck with me, get fucked up. oh also i bought this car in order to achieve minimal swirl marks when i take it to the car wash, i just hate those damn scratches!
DGP: well, i'm a pretty standard kind of guy. hey - if i drive into a forest i bet you couldnt find me!

and, well.. i guess thats about all i have to say. i tried to be as unbiased as possible.

well said.
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:21 PM
Dance & Dream Productions

mine says..........."I'm rick james bieeeoootch..."
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:33 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by XtraKrispy
Mine says "DRIVER 1 DETECTED"

When my wife drives it says "DRIVER 2 DETECTED"
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:41 PM
FOR SALE - BM

this is what mine says. ----" i bet your girlfriend is gonna hate me, esp when you give me more attention than her "
Old 12-22-2005 | 03:14 PM
Advanced

Your list hits the nail on the head for me as well. Nice summary.
Old 12-22-2005 | 03:58 PM
NSX
10th Gear

shheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttt (golly)
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:00 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by flvol77
Well, Mine according to a cop that pulled me over says a punk that has weapons and drugs in my car....LOL.. The wife and I were coming back from walmart (i live in a very small town) and a cop totally profiled me and pulled me over, She asked if I knew why I was pulled over and I said don' t have a clue, and she said well ummmm you kinda swayed into the other lane...I looked at her and almost laughed.....Just a young cop that had nothing to do, its a real long story and it kinda pissed me off, and when I told my two close friends that are cops the story they said cops like her give police a bad name...oh well, I got a warning...for what I still don't have a clue.
almost exactly the same here except my cop was a guy. wife and kid were in the car too. just came back from putt-putt golf and chilling. he said i changed lane without signalling...yeah right..i am pretty sure that didn't happen. i didn't want to piss him off by arguing over small stuff. so i went "did i? i am sorry that i didn't pay attention... (to WTH you pulled me over for). he checked the car out and let me go. till this day.....???
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:05 PM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by trancemission
Mine says "dude you cant shift worth shit"
Hahahahaha
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:12 PM
"Joe Cool"

Acura is a Lexury vehicle, and your TL is in market competition w/BMW 3 series. So other people prefer BMW, and you prefer Acura.

If you really want to more bang for the buck, you should have bought a Honda Accord V6, 6MT. Get over yourself.
What exactly was the point of this post?
The question was
"what do you think or what do you hope your TL says about you?"

BTW...if your gonna flame someones post... make sure you can spell "LUXURY first.

Hey HondaOnly
My TL says "don't let your wife run me into the curb anymore!
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tallfuq
i wear name brand clothes because they are better in material and are better in design not because i want to show i have a 60 dollar shirt.
I wear name brand clothes too, but I don't feel the need to buy the ones that flaunt the logo. Polo makes plenty of shirts where the polo player blends in more. And I know a lot of people, particularly women, who have a negative impression of people who wear shirts whose only distinguishing characteristic is the symbol on it. They look at those guys and think, "Big deal. Am I supposed to be impressed cause he paid $75 for a plain blue shirt?" I went to a high school where everyone dressed like that. If I see someone dressing like that now, I think they're just insecure. Same thing with the suburban housewife driving a BMW or Lexus. Chances are, she doesn't have a clue what makes those cars great. She just wants to show off the nameplate and impress her friends and neighbors. At least with Acura, no one can accuse you of trying to impress anyone cause it's not a prestige name like Lexus or BMW.
Old 12-22-2005 | 06:03 PM
Racer

Get over yourself.
First off, Acura may be a luxury vehicle and it may be a competitor to BMW, but to the average person, Acura doesn't have as much prestige or name recognition as BMW or Lexus. So if your biggest priority is impressing people, you most likely would not get an Acura. You'd get a Lexus or BMW instead. Why do you think those cars cost more? It's cause you're paying for the added prestige that comes with the name. Second, why do you have to resort to personal attacks? Can't you get your point across without making it personal? I'm not thinking there are people out there dumber than me. But I am thinking that certain people have priorities that don't make sense to me. Spending an extra 10K just to impress your friends and neighbors seems rather silly to me. But I guess those people think it's worth it.
Old 12-23-2005 | 02:42 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Talking

First off, Acura may be a luxury vehicle and it may be a competitor to BMW, but to the average person, Acura doesn't have as much prestige or name recognition as BMW or Lexus. So if your biggest priority is impressing people, you most likely would not get an Acura. You'd get a Lexus or BMW instead. Why do you think those cars cost more? It's cause you're paying for the added prestige that comes with the name..
I agree, the Acura TL is a sleeper to ordinary people.
But, car aficionados know what we have, and a respect comes from those who know the car and not merely brand names.

Just yesterday at the car wash, a guy asks me "Is that the new Accord", i guess trying to insult me because it obviously says Acura like 5 places on the car. Its hard for a guy who washes cars for a living to offend me though, but a lot of people associate Acuras with Hondas moreso than the other luxury divisions. Honda is not a bad brand to be associated with nonetheless. It might help if they stop engraving our windows with HONDA. lol.

After previously owning a new BMW 5 series, I can tell you this car gets much less "whoa" reactions and questions...... but I enjoy this car for its "best all-around" status.

Not to mention just last week at the gas station I got the question, "Wow, your car looks really nice, I mean REALLY nice, no offense but how much would you have to pay a month to drive a car like that?" I responded, thanks, the car costs $40,000". (with tax and wheels it did)

I smile everytime I think about how much this car offers for the money. No it does not take corners or have the road control of a BMW. But it does everything else so damn well its no wonder we all sit here and talk about it everyday.
Old 12-23-2005 | 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

mine says,
" I can't afford a Gemballa Porsche, but I still care about wut I'm driving & how it looks"
Old 12-23-2005 | 04:23 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Mine says, "Look at this middle-aged bald guy who should have put the money into his kids college fund or 401K instead of putting it into a depreciating liability".

I don't listen to anything any inanimate object says about me. Especially when it says, "Hey dickhead, you really blew that shift" or "Nice stall, you fricken a$$hole, what?... only driving sticks for 25 years?".

As much as I like nice cars I can't dispute the argument that says cheap cars are a better overall financial strategy. I can't dispute it. I just choose to ignore it a bit.
Old 12-23-2005 | 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

When I had the Jaguar, I got lots of looks, stares even, and questions.
No one said anything about the Passat.
Someone asked me how I like the TL, they were going to get one shortly...

I dont know if driving the TL says anything, other than you want something better then a chevy, and are not stupid enough to buy a VW...

Brett
Old 12-23-2005 | 06:17 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i get people looking at me in my TL all the time. i just had a guy last night in a old beat up chevy pickup. it was dark out and i don't keep my dash on anything except the brightest setting. this dude and his girl were starting at me. the guy was all licking his lips and looking at me all funny...