3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty for Bushings Void because of......AEM intake?!?!? (long!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 AM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha i just read this entire thread purely due to the fact that i've been meanin to get an aem cai myself. i must say that it was an intense journy reading all of this. haha it was like a good story to me for some reason (a story about cars is always good) and of course in the end, i was wishin for a happy one. kudos to you and how you carried out this problem and fought it til the end and didnt let no big time dealership scare you. thanks for sharing and i feel safer about getting one installed haha
Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Are you absolutely sure about this for a fact? It is so true they are losing a potential custmomer here but here's how I see it; They won't make as much $$ for in warranty repair as much as out of warranty. I just bought the car so for the next 4 yrs if anything most repairs will be in warranty. Also I came from CT and bought the car from PA. I'm not their customer I literally walked in from the street.

Also this company, McGrath seems to be doing reall well. They have a big-time monopoly in the Chicagoland area. Their dealerships are always hustling and bustling with people. Their drive-in service is more like a McDonald's Drive-thru. I haven't seen this at east coast dealerships. They have at least 3 dealerships and are planning more. They also own Lexus, BMW etc etc,. so many other dealerships, they're huge. So I don't think they'll feel threatened they lost 1 customer because I think generally the opinion around here is "they're the best". Well maybe I would have said the same if they weren't trying to screw me. I bought a couple parts from them and when I 1st drove the car in they were a class A act. Then I went from customer to enemy.
The opinion around here is that McGrath sucks a donkey dick, and I would enjoy fucking them up in the legal arena if this happened to me.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
As for the play the tech showed me, I saw what he did and I told him that there is a range of play that is normal. Only if it's excessive it's a problem....He says "no" that there should be no play.....So I did a mental check there.....Did I know what I'm talking about? Did he know what he's talking about? OR was he BSing me? It took me a while to process but at least I came to the conclusion that 1 of the latter 2 are true.

The noise that was part of the original complaint disappeared when the weather got warmer in 2007. Now that it is getting colder again I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it comes back again I know that it is for sure temperture related. I only went in to have this checked because it got a little irritating after awhile and I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything major. My hunch is that it isn't at all.

I am not too sure if I was treated differently because I bought my car elsewhere. The manager seems really friendly and eager to please. The advisors look like they hate warranty work and are looking to make a comission. I think they are willing to misinform anyone to do it.

I know this thread is wordy and it's a lot to read through (vs. the average picture laden acurazine thread), thanks for reading through it. but I just want this thread as an example of what these dealerships can try to pull on you and that you don't have to stand for it.

A couple updates here:

So I instituted McGrath Acura of Westmont (Dealer #3) as my regular place of repair. Have only good things to say about that place. I used McGrath of Morton Grove (Dealer #1) only when I had something irritating to take care of. I make sure they won't get a cent from me!

Example? I had a dead battery. They took care of it. Service that time was good. I was about change my residence outside of Chicago so I wanted to make good on that $100 credit. Even though it was a service credit they cooperated and converted it to a parts credit and I made off with some all-weather mats costing me just $30. Not bad, so I'm thinking maybe I'll be forgiving? (Even after making me waste those hours uninstalling/reinstalling my CAI??)

I was getting ready for my cross country trip to CT. I realized I lost my wheel lock key. Because I know better, I know that McGuard can get you a replacement lock for $15 with a code. Also I know that the dealer has a master set of keys with the 6-8 possible combinations of locks. (See how acurazine keeps you informed?) So I go to Morton Grove to ask to use this set. Advisor says they have to break the locks off!! I said, no you don't have to do that!! (I feel sorry for all the people they scammed with that one too!!) I said just let me borrow your master set. They said "What master set?" I said you better check it out! He comes back and says, fine they'll do it, but with half an hour labor....!!!!!.....I said no way man, just give it to me for 5 minutes, I'll do it myself. He says they don't lend tools out. I said you guys owe me!~! I could see this advisor was a complete dick and was just trying to squeeze some money out of me. I said fuck this and went scouting around every part of the shop I didn't belong looking for the manager. People were like "May I help you" I had a "fuck-off" look on my face. I find him and explain the situation....He totally complies and says I'll take care of this immediately. He calls a tech working on a tire and gets him to take the locks off. So again the manager seems to be the good guy here (he gets a salary) willing to go out of his way here.

The advisors and techs here are all CROOKS!!! They only really want to touch your car only if they know they can make something up and make a quick buck off of it. This is the suckiest dealer I have ever been to for any location or nameplate. They are going to 100% get a complaint from me through corporate. I can only imagine all the screwed up things they have done to other people!! I don't know what kind of operation they are running there but they don't deserve to even have the Acura logo on the garage. It gives a false sense of security and trust for the average unsuspecting customer of average automotive knowledge. The millions they are making off of trusting unsuspecting customers for unecessary repairs. Believe me, I'm going to do something about this!

Lesson to take home? Please be vigilant of any Acura dealership. Their word may not count for much. They may have a fancy dealership but they may be more dishonest than your shady corner side-street garage. Always expect BS and be defensive. You probably know more about your own car than these clowns do (sad, and they do this for a living) so stick to your guns when your gut says you're right!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Racer

Very well put Rocky.........
Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
King of NYC

I still have this thunking problem but it has gotten worse. None of these morons have fixed it yet. It's not just at startup. I found a way to reproduce it finally! My steering feels "clunky" at low speeds in a parking lot. It doesn't happen at high speeds. If you slightly jerk the wheel left/right you get a dull clunkyness instead of smooth action. It's not a loud sound but more of a sensation you can feel through the steering column and even slightly through the brake pedal. I always felt like it was some kind of bushing or rubber component high up. Tripnbeats has made a description of a rubber bushing under the rack and pinion and it sounds like it makes a lot of sense. I took the car to another dealer yesterday and they are trying to find other nonsense this/that bent etc. They wouldn't fix the primary problem until they looked at other "more important issues". Sounds like they were just trying to sell me an alignment. On to another dealer! I got to get to the bottom of this! These dealers I tell ya! They play games so you do too. It's your car afterall.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Cruisin'

Acura of Liberyville is where I get all my service done and never had a problem. I also buy all my cars through them. When I had my RSX t-s and it was moded. But they never had a problem replacing parts for warranty on anything. I already knew that any part I replaced with aftermarket that part would be voided.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
8th Gear

i start my car for at least 5 min befor driving.letting the car warmup first.you will notice the rpm go down from a cold engine start up.my pops has a 96 tl with 160.000 or so miles and it still running fine.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
King of NYC

Yeah I warm up too but NOT for 5 min. That's too long and unecessary, just wastes fuel. My car is garaged so I let it idle depending on the ambient temperature. In the summertime I don't idle longer than 30 sec. then start off slow and easy. In the winter I will warm up for about 1 and half minutes and start out nice and slow as well. I won't let revs pass 2500rpms until the temp gauge comes up to mid and then drive normally.........

But I don't get it, what was the correlation here with this and the thread?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Intermediate

wow good write up man! Actually pretty interesting. lol I have an AEM v2 intake sitting in my room and I have been worrying about my warranty this whole time. One thing I hate about going for service in the service department at an Acura dealership is that they always underestimate me and think they can get away with charging me for unnecessary things just because I am a very young TL driver!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
If you know your stuff, you won't have problems.