3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have DRLs (07) and don't like them..

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
So far I don't have any of these symptoms, but this weekend the DRL would not come on. I quickly realized that I had the parking brake on.
haha...made me smile~
Old 06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay mine start to flicker a little more now , and they are sometimes going off and on in very fast speed like cops headlights does when they are giving you ticket , or like fire dept. damn this sucks. i guess i'l be going back to stock ones if they do it like this one more time.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
mmm...i haven't opened mine yet and please update us what Jake said.
If problem still occurs, I'll send them back and get a refund.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Update: Took the LED'S out my DRL came on a few times today N it got me pissed so im back to stock . Maybe these lights were not meant to be for me im going to test them out later to see if both lights are good IF they're i can sell them to anyone..To all the members that havent had problems with them all i can say is GOOD LUCK.
Jake responded to my email n this is what he wrote me:

Ok I have an IS350 with our bulbs installed in the same application, mine do
NOT have the on/off issues you are having but they do not come on full
power, they don't come on full power and flicker just like you guys are
describing. So I tested the DRL output voltage and found it was around
4.49v, this is too low for the bulbs to function at full output. We
originally had the bulbs made to operate at 6v-18v but for my vehicle and
maybe yours as well this is not low enough. If any of you can test your
output voltage for me it will help out tremendously. I am working on getting
a hold of one to test myself, but it may be a while.

We made another prototype bulb that would function down to the 4.49v and
still had the same problem. We are currently working on a plug n' play
module that will take the low voltage and increase it to the correct
operating voltage for the LED, this may be the only solution for us. This
will work for all our DRL bulbs.

The reason we just can't make them work with the low voltage only is because
when the high beam is turned on it would blow the LEDs out. Any way we are
working hard on a solution.

Jose, as for your specific problem, never heard of that happening, sounds
like there is a resistance issue with the cars computer that for some reason
no one else is experiencing. If you think the bulbs are defective, (which
you can test by taking them out of the car and applying 12v to the
terminals) I would be more than happy to replace them for you. Let me know.

Thank you,

Jake York
Velocity Distributing Inc.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
OK, I've done all kinds of tests yesterday, I turned hazards on, turning signals separately, I used high beam..while standing and driving.

I have absolutely no flicker or the on/off going on....

Kinetic what after market electronics do you have in your car? sub? amp? neon? led?

I will highly suggest you get a multimeter, take out the bulbs, and check one terminal for voltage, divide the number by 2, and you'll know how much voltage per bulb you are getting... As you are doing this, let someone gas up the car, and see if the voltage fluctuates (and it shouldn't!)
Old 06-06-2008, 09:15 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't exprerienced any big issues.
I do see a flicker, but it's not a noticible flicker unless you are staring at it; it similar to a dimming when an accessory is turned on.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Silly me LOL...TeknoKing I forgot to mention that I have HID in the fogs maybe thats the problem but regardless I'm done with the lights I dont care much anymore because I'm going to be driving something else SOON I saw her today N cant wait to get it is a G37s....... no worries the TL is staying at the house but my sister will be driving it now n she doesnt really care about blue or piss yellow lights figures had to be a women LOL..
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

Hi Guys

Any updates on the flicker and/or on/off problems with these lights.

Also could I ask for the source link and part number(s) again?

Finally, not to digress too far, what is the current recomendation(s) for a "white" fog light?

Thank you.

2008 TL
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Race Director

^^^ I still have absolutely no flicker and they work great... I even forgot that they are there...but I know I don't have the DRL light in the day time, and I love it.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by KineticTypeS
Silly me LOL...TeknoKing I forgot to mention that I have HID in the fogs maybe thats the problem but regardless I'm done with the lights I dont care much anymore because I'm going to be driving something else SOON I saw her today N cant wait to get it is a G37s....... no worries the TL is staying at the house but my sister will be driving it now n she doesnt really care about blue or piss yellow lights figures had to be a women LOL..

G37S is cool, fast... interior and ride quality, that's a different story. Enjoy it!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mooring
Hi Guys

Any updates on the flicker and/or on/off problems with these lights.

Also could I ask for the source link and part number(s) again?

Finally, not to digress too far, what is the current recomendation(s) for a "white" fog light?

Thank you.

2008 TL

I have no flicker in the DRL. Here is the vleds bulbs that I and other members here ordered. http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

Also if I will recommend Nokya superwhite H8 bulbs for the fogs. You can them cheap on ebay.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Race Director

^ Yep that's my setup.. Copy Cat

It's funny so many TL-S in Bklyn, and I still haven't seen any of you guys
Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
^ Yep that's my setup.. Copy Cat

It's funny so many TL-S in Bklyn, and I still haven't seen any of you guys

LOL! I am in Queens and I still haven't seen any TL with the leds in the DRL. I feel so special.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 AM
J35A8

Geez i've seen 3 other TL-S MRP in Brooklyn, they must of been giving them away.
I still see a slight flicker if I stare at the LED. Maybe it's just my imagination.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:56 PM
08' WDP Type S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I still haven't put mine in...namely because I tried and couldn't figure out how the hell to get to the bulbs. Anyone in MD want to help me out?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Originally Posted by PSURob12
I still haven't put mine in...namely because I tried and couldn't figure out how the hell to get to the bulbs. Anyone in MD want to help me out?
It really isn't that difficult to put in. You will need to remove the plastic pieces in the front and lean over and see where the bulbs are. Then get a good grip and turn it counter clockwise. It might take some time and you will probably curse a few times, but eventually they will turn.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

Also if I will recommend Nokya superwhite H8 bulbs for the fogs. You can them cheap on ebay.
I'm not finding the superwhite; I did find: H8 Nokya Arctic White Headlight Bulbs HID; is that what you meant to say?
Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

I'm not finding the superwhite; I did find: H8 Nokya Arctic White Headlight Bulbs HID; is that what you meant to say?

Yes, that's the one I have in my fogs.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone have some coupon codes for v-leds ??
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

I have no flicker in the DRL. Here is the vleds bulbs that I and other members here ordered. http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481
Ordered and shipped; hope they are home when I get back next week. Then I will have to figure out how to install. I can't boil water, no less fix anything. My toolbox is the same one I had when I was 5!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Anyone have some coupon codes for v-leds ??

Try coupon code "miata" for 5% off.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Ordered and shipped; hope they are home when I get back next week. Then I will have to figure out how to install. I can't boil water, no less fix anything. My toolbox is the same one I had when I was 5!

Lucky for you that changing out the bulbs don't require any tools. So you can keep playing your old toolbox.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
08' WDP Type S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I seriously couldnt see how to get to the bulbs at all. Pretty sure you need twig arms to do it.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
J35A8

LOL, it takes a little bit of agility, but you can get in there.
First locate where the bulbs are.
Since you can't see it while you're unscrewing it, unless you're double-jointed, you need to feel for it.
I needed to wiggle it a big since it was very tight.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Intermediate

Lucky for you that changing out the bulbs don't require any tools. So you can keep playing your old toolbox.
OK, just as I suspected; I AM A COMPLETE MORON!

I ordered both the LED DRL and the fog replacements as noted above. I've had them for a week, but was too scared to try the install... until tonight. I spent from 5:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. and have installed nothing.

DRL driver side, I removed the cover over the battery--actually there was nothing holding it on but gravity, so there must be something missing there? I could not reach the bulb, so I removed the battery. I could reach the bulb, and took more than 45 minutes to get the wiring harness off. I then spent over two hours off and on trying to turn the bulb counterclockwise. There is a screw in there as someine mentioned--I will try to post the picture I took. I got the bulb to move about 1/16 of inch turn--no more.

DRL passenger side, I can touch the wiring harness, but there is no way I can get the harness off the blub--hence gave up on that side.

AMAZINGLY, I was able to put the battery back in, the car started, and the old DRLs came on! (Also, interesting to note I did not loose my XM connection, my XM presets, or my Bluetooth connections; but I did loose the clock!)

On the fogs, both sides; I can't even get under the car to look, but I found a very tiny hole that I think leads to the bulb. There is no way I can do this one either.

I just wasted an evenging trying to do what some of you have done in a reported 30 mintues or less--WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?

I'm thinking my Acura dealer won't be too excited to put these bulbs in on my car duing the next service--so looking for someone who has done it that is near Minnesota or Wisconsin--anyone?

I thought this would be to easy for me--as noted above, this is EXCATLY why I don't own tools.

Sigh... bulbs to eBay?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^^no battery removal necessary what so ever. . The first time you ever remove the DRLs.. you have to put strenght to the turn. Eventually they wil turn.. got a cut the first time i did it.. Now the come lose easily.. same with the fog lights. Driver side, remove battery cover... there is small cover over the intake.. remove it. On the passenger side .. just the cover. As for the harness. Press the clip hard.

Fogs, inner fender. Turn your wheel all the way to the right for Driver and Opposite for the other side. 2 Clips.. pull the fender .. you will see them in there.. again first time you have to put strenght to the turn.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jguerra23
^^^^no battery removal necessary what so ever. . The first time you ever remove the DRLs.. you have to put strenght to the turn. Eventually they wil turn.. got a cut the first time i did it.. Now the come lose easily.. same with the fog lights. Driver side, remove battery cover... there is small cover over the intake.. remove it. On the passenger side .. just the cover. As for the harness. Press the clip hard.

Fogs, inner fender. Turn your wheel all the way to the right for Driver and Opposite for the other side. 2 Clips.. pull the fender .. you will see them in there.. again first time you have to put strenght to the turn.
Thank you so much for the tips. My fingertips are too sore right now to try it again tonight.

May I ask a couple more questions before I tackle this again.

You state, "remove the battery cover," is this just the black plastic piece that hides the battery?

You state, "there is a small over over the intate," sorry, but I don't know what you mean--is this another piece?

You state, "On the passenger side .. just the cover," is this the big plastic piece? How does this come off?

On the fogs, you state, "2 Clips.. pull the fender," What are clips and how do they work (would I be likely to break them? How do they get put back? Will they be snug so no new rattles are created?

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Here is the phone-pic of the back of the DRL, as far as I got...

Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

I saw your post and I have to grin for a bit because I couldn't believe you spend 3 hrs and still didn't get any install. No problem! Check your manual, it illustrates how you need to turn the wheel to one side and remove the two clips. You can remove the clips with a small flathead screw driver. Once removed, you will need to pull the inner fenderwall out and you will be able to see the fogs. Unclip the wiring harness and then squeeze and push in the bulbs and turn it counterclock wise. Done!

As far as the DRL, remove the cover and reach in with your hang and same thing squeeze and push in and turn in clockwise. It will be difficult for few tries, but it will budge. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the tips. My fingertips are too sore right now to try it again tonight.

May I ask a couple more questions before I tackle this again.

You state, "remove the battery cover," is this just the black plastic piece that hides the battery?

You state, "there is a small over over the intate," sorry, but I don't know what you mean--is this another piece?

You state, "On the passenger side .. just the cover," is this the big plastic piece? How does this come off?

On the fogs, you state, "2 Clips.. pull the fender," What are clips and how do they work (would I be likely to break them? How do they get put back? Will they be snug so no new rattles are created?

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Here is the phone-pic of the back of the DRL, as far as I got...

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

I saw your post and I have to grin for a bit because I couldn't believe you spend 3 hrs and still didn't get any install. No problem! Check your manual, it illustrates how you need to turn the wheel to one side and remove the two clips. You can remove the clips with a small flathead screw driver. Once removed, you will need to pull the inner fenderwall out and you will be able to see the fogs. Unclip the wiring harness and then squeeze and push in the bulbs and turn it counterclock wise. Done!

As far as the DRL, remove the cover and reach in with your hang and same thing squeeze and push in and turn in clockwise. It will be difficult for few tries, but it will budge. Good luck.
No problem; grin away--you should hear about how I hung a picture in our new house and now the bathroom pocket door is perminatly OPEN!

Ok, just checking now.... you said COUNTERCLOCKWISE for the Fogs and CLOCKWISE for the DRL... is that what you meant to say?

Thank you.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

No problem; grin away--you should hear about how I hung a picture in our new house and now the bathroom pocket door is perminatly OPEN!

Ok, just checking now.... you said COUNTERCLOCKWISE for the Fogs and CLOCKWISE for the DRL... is that what you meant to say?

Thank you.

Sorry, both are counterclockwise. Wish you were closer, I would have help you install those. Modding should be fun, not frustrated.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 AM
J35A8

OK, just as I suspected; I AM A COMPLETE MORON!

I ordered both the LED DRL and the fog replacements as noted above. I've had them for a week, but was too scared to try the install... until tonight. I spent from 5:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. and have installed nothing.

DRL driver side, I removed the cover over the battery--actually there was nothing holding it on but gravity, so there must be something missing there? I could not reach the bulb, so I removed the battery. I could reach the bulb, and took more than 45 minutes to get the wiring harness off. I then spent over two hours off and on trying to turn the bulb counterclockwise. There is a screw in there as someine mentioned--I will try to post the picture I took. I got the bulb to move about 1/16 of inch turn--no more.

DRL passenger side, I can touch the wiring harness, but there is no way I can get the harness off the blub--hence gave up on that side.

AMAZINGLY, I was able to put the battery back in, the car started, and the old DRLs came on! (Also, interesting to note I did not loose my XM connection, my XM presets, or my Bluetooth connections; but I did loose the clock!)

On the fogs, both sides; I can't even get under the car to look, but I found a very tiny hole that I think leads to the bulb. There is no way I can do this one either.

I just wasted an evenging trying to do what some of you have done in a reported 30 mintues or less--WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?

I'm thinking my Acura dealer won't be too excited to put these bulbs in on my car duing the next service--so looking for someone who has done it that is near Minnesota or Wisconsin--anyone?

I thought this would be to easy for me--as noted above, this is EXCATLY why I don't own tools.

Sigh... bulbs to eBay?
My battery cover was the same, seemed like the 2 clips weren't installed correctly. I lost one of them down the intake pipe.
You can remove the pipe to give yourself a little more room.
It that fails, find someone with a smaller hand.
Don't give up, try to loosen them by wiggle it up/down.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by korrupted
My battery cover was the same, seemed like the 2 clips weren't installed correctly. I lost one of them down the intake pipe.
You can remove the pipe to give yourself a little more room.
It that fails, find someone with a smaller hand.
Don't give up, try to loosen them by wiggle it up/down.
Thanks; but be careful, I'm not much for "removing!"

... and I do have large hands, perhaps that's half the problem. Wife has smaller, but I'm sure she can't turn the thing(s).
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

Well, I got them in, but I'm still a MORON, and freely admit it.

The fogs were easy, once you guys pointed out the way. They were not too tight, and I managed fairly well through the unclip and clip. Put it all back together to test, and wha-la; only one light worked. Took it apart and found I had not put the wire harness on the bulb that didn’t light--DUH!

Question, one of the bulbs is not particularly plumb and looks like it is resting against the steel ring inside the lens. I tried to gently pry it back, but with no luck. My worry is that this bulb will heat up, then I hit a bump and the bulb shatters inside the lens--is this worth worrying about to the extent that I remove the blub? Would the vendor cover this apparent defect?

The DRL are a whole 'nother story. Those things are B******S. Wow they are tight. I pushed them to the limit where I thought they would break, then they finally gave way. I thought I heard something drop to the ground, but couldn't find when the passenger side finally let loose. On the driver side, I did have to remove the battery again to move the air cowling out of the way. Reassembled and made the same mistake as the fogs--forgot to reconnect the wire harness--so happy to get the bulb out made for a euphoria that I missed the connection--again. At least I could feel my way back in to reconnect without too much disassembly.

The entire mod--all the hours yesterday plus another 2.5 hours today.

They look good in the dark--by the time I finished had the truck headlights helping me reassemble! Anxious to see them in the day.

I didn't notice any apparent flicker.

I'm still worried about that fog touching the ring--any opinions?

Again, thanks to those who helped me find and install the lights. I would have given up long ago.

Not sure what I should tackle next!!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

The fog light bulbs shouldn't be touching the metal ring. That will definitely lessen the life of the bulbs. Try readjusting it to be in the middle of the ring. Also, check the bulb itself. Make sure it is straight in the first place.

You should tackle the license plates lights next.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

The fog light bulbs shouldn't be touching the metal ring. That will definitely lessen the life of the bulbs. Try readjusting it to be in the middle of the ring. Also, check the bulb itself. Make sure it is straight in the first place.

You should tackle the license plates lights next.
I can't adjust the fog light away from the ring--afriad I will break the bulb. Going to contact vendor and see if they will send replacement.

Is there anything about the heat of these bulbs that I should worry about?

All interior converted to LEDs--did that one first!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

I can't adjust the fog light away from the ring--afriad I will break the bulb. Going to contact vendor and see if they will send replacement.

Is there anything about the heat of these bulbs that I should worry about?

All interior converted to LEDs--did that one first!
I have the nokya artice white bulbs, 35/55W no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
One or Two?

Help with DRL LEDs.

I purchased

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

thinking they would be brighter than the

that most people are running in this thread. Here's my problem...

I installed one LED DRL, left the other DRL as stock, turned the car on, and ONLY the LED DRL lights up (its amazingly bright and looks great, but somehow disables the opposing DRL (halogen)). I've tested it by switching the bulbs and the same thing happens on the other side (LED DRL lights up nice and bright, but the halogen remains off). When I put BOTH LED DRLs in, they both BARELY turn on. I can see the LEDs light up, but they are very very feint and they seem to be flickering.

Whats the difference between the two LED DRLs? Should I just exchange them for the other LED DRLs that V-leds offers? I figured both are 9005 and require 12v. Help?

I'll post some pics to show what I mean.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
One or Two?

Originally Posted by chuanger
Help with DRL LEDs.

I purchased

thinking they would be brighter than the

that most people are running in this thread. Here's my problem...

I installed one LED DRL, left the other DRL as stock, turned the car on, and ONLY the LED DRL lights up (its amazingly bright and looks great, but somehow disables the opposing DRL (halogen)). I've tested it by switching the bulbs and the same thing happens on the other side (LED DRL lights up nice and bright, but the halogen remains off). When I put BOTH LED DRLs in, they both BARELY turn on. I can see the LEDs light up, but they are very very feint and they seem to be flickering.

Whats the difference between the two LED DRLs? Should I just exchange them for the other LED DRLs that V-leds offers? I figured both are 9005 and require 12v. Help?

I'll post some pics to show what I mean.
In my post above I meant to link the 9005/HB3s not the H8s.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
One or Two?

Here are some pics

Only ONE LED DRL installed, the other side is the stock halogen (which doesn't work at all)

Profile of ONE LED DRL

Front view of the output with both LED DRLs installed (notice how "dim" it is)

I'm wondering if its because the DRLs are powered at half or a reduced power as compared to normal bulbs so when both LED DRLs are in, they don't seem to have enough "juice".
Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Race Director

Ok, I have an update on the status of my DRLs..

Well they haven't worked in weeks, and no warning indicators are on...so I got what I wanted, a $50 "off" switch

I can't explain the phenomenon, since there is a charge draw, otherwise I would of been getting a warning on MID...so whatever, no DRLs period, but it works

Quick Reply: For those who have DRLs (07) and don't like them..