Are purchasers of the '06 TL generally pleased with your purchases? Any prolems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006 | 12:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by priggly
What do you say, boys or girls? Any problems with the '06 or is it the most problem-free of the TL's so far?
your 12 hp below me man gotta go with 05
Old 03-24-2006 | 09:09 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by sik-yet-slick-TL
your 12 hp below me man gotta go with 05
I assume by the lack of a wink or smile that you're serious. Don't be ignorant they have the exact same engine.

*For the 2006 model year, all Acura horsepower and torque specifications have been updated to reflect revised Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1349 (Rev 8/04) net calculations that went into affect in January of 2005. These new calculations reflect a number of significant changes in the way horsepower and torque are measured and may cause SAE net horsepower and torque totals published in 2006 media materials to differ from the figures published in previous years. To avoid confusion, all 2006 Acura press materials will specify "SAE net (Rev 8/04)" after all horsepower and torque figures to denote adherence to the new standards.
http://hondanews.com/CatID3014?mid=2...58086&mime=asc
Old 03-24-2006 | 02:22 PM
Instructor

Just a couple issues

(2006 AT NAV : 500 Miles)

- Creaks a little from the center of dash (minor, but annoying)
- Intermitent rattles from driver side door (just started)
- Steering wheel isn't centered (only a couple of dregrees off, but annoying for a new car)
- Significantly less visibility than my 2002 TL-S
- The blue dash is hard to read. I don't see how you guys from Canada can even read the Km/Hr. [Nicer cars just have numbers on the speedometer, and you put the dash either in MPH or Km/Hr mode.]
- Fuel door seems cheaper to me. I hate the cheap teather on the gas cap. I liked the little clip to hold the cap that my 2002 had.

If I had it to do over, I'd wait a couple months and check out the new Lexus ES350 (270HP if I recall). I didn't hear about the Lexus until the night after I bought the Acura (although I did look at the IS350).
Old 03-24-2006 | 03:11 PM
Man of God.....

Problems? Naw. I LOVE this Car!!! Now all I need is MORE Horse Power!!
I know its there, now how do I get at it????
Old 03-24-2006 | 03:28 PM
Advanced

I have no problems with my '06 TL 5AT/NAVI. The car, so far, is perfect.
The only trouble I have is the Acura dealerships, who knows squat about customer service or being professional. My girlfriend said it before and I'll quote her on that becasue I believe she's absolutely right, "They don't care about their customer or customer service. They let the car sell themselves and expect everything to end there. The cars are fantastic and do sell themselves but the people selling them could care less about keeping you a valued and happy Acura customer." And believe me she has all the reasons in the world to say this and I'll back her whole heartedly becasue I've just finished experiencing something I never thought I'd get from my dealership.
Anyway, I'm venting, sorry.
So, ACURA '06 TL = PERFECTION
ACURA DEALERSHIPS = DISGRACEFUL
Old 03-24-2006 | 03:30 PM
Advanced

Oh, think I'll try buying my car online next time.
Old 03-24-2006 | 05:09 PM
Advanced

Heh...rattles? I got cha rattles right here. Car has rattled since about mile 10

Both driver and passenger front doors rattle terribly. Both front seat belt holders rattle frequently. Passenger seat rattles if someone is not sitting in it. I think I got a Friday afternoon car.
Old 03-24-2006 | 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by awood
(2006 AT NAV : 500 Miles)

- Creaks a little from the center of dash (minor, but annoying)
- Intermitent rattles from driver side door (just started)
- Steering wheel isn't centered (only a couple of dregrees off, but annoying for a new car)
- Significantly less visibility than my 2002 TL-S
- The blue dash is hard to read. I don't see how you guys from Canada can even read the Km/Hr. [Nicer cars just have numbers on the speedometer, and you put the dash either in MPH or Km/Hr mode.]
- Fuel door seems cheaper to me. I hate the cheap teather on the gas cap. I liked the little clip to hold the cap that my 2002 had.

If I had it to do over, I'd wait a couple months and check out the new Lexus ES350 (270HP if I recall). I didn't hear about the Lexus until the night after I bought the Acura (although I did look at the IS350).
yeah. the rattles are BS and the off center steering wheel is unacceptable. They should start building these in Japan again
Old 03-24-2006 | 06:20 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

I've had a few rattles that have come and gone, but I love the car! (Anthracite/Ebony 5AT w/Navi) I have about 450 miles on it, and got it on 2/28/06.
Old 03-24-2006 | 08:38 PM
8th Gear

I have a 06 5AT w/navi. I love the car. no trouble so far. I also have the steering wheel issue. i have like 13100 miles on the car. I bought in dec 2005. i drive about 100 miles a day.
Old 03-24-2006 | 09:26 PM
Banned

Lookin' Good.... a few minor ticks I'll have taken care of at first service- but fantastic car!
Old 03-25-2006 | 02:54 AM
Anthracite TL

Originally Posted by ajeetm
06 WDP/Navi purchased on 12/26/05. About 460 miles on it right now. Installed a clear bra, navi protective film and getting all season floor mats, trunk tray and mud guards this week.

So far it's been wonderful. It's so comfortable that I wish my commute to work was longer!!

No rattles to report of aside from an occasional click here and there

I'm not getting the pedal vibration but I might be getting driveline vibration in the steering wheel although it hasn't been consistent.

One issue to note is that my XM radio will cut off occasionally, radio,CD and everything else are fine. The only way to get it back is by shutting off the car and turning it on again. Anyone else seeing this?
Hi Ajeetm, wondering where you get the navi protective film if you dont mind, just got my 06 Anthracite with navi a week ago, I want to troptect the navi screen as soon as possible.
I notice my TL is pulling to the right when driving 45-50 mph. Will bring to the dealer soon to check the alignment. 400 miles so far, everything else working great.
Old 03-25-2006 | 06:06 AM
Senior Moderator

I just drove an '06 non-navi as a loaner yesterday while my car was being upgraded. It had just over 4000 miles and had no rattles. The steering was nice and tight (as opposed to a bit sloppy on my pre-A-Spec '04).

I did note that the paint on the rear deck was starting to flake off, and there was a noticeable line across the back. I suspect that when new, the protective plastic used in delivery did too good a job, and ruined the paint. Thus, the car became a loaner.

On my 2004, I now have a minor dash rattle. That took roughly 45,000 miles to show up.
Old 03-25-2006 | 10:30 PM
Intermediate

i just hit 1000 miles with my 2006 TL, automatic, Navigation and have NO problems. I love this car! No rattles, no vibration, no speaker noise, fast like a bat out of hell, handles great, looks great, quiet and smooth on the freeway. Plus, the voice commands work like a charm. AWESOME CAR!! Now, I want more power!! I have become addicted to speed.
Old 03-25-2006 | 10:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WooBah
I have become addicted to speed.
I've become addicted to speed now that i got my 06 TL. I drive faster on the freeway now than i use too. I need to slow it down but i cant!!!

awood, i agree with you that the fuel door is really cheap. Its flimsy, i could move it up and down and mine is not aligned.
Old 03-27-2006 | 10:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by techdiver_monkey
Hi Ajeetm, wondering where you get the navi protective film if you dont mind, just got my 06 Anthracite with navi a week ago, I want to troptect the navi screen as soon as possible.
I notice my TL is pulling to the right when driving 45-50 mph. Will bring to the dealer soon to check the alignment. 400 miles so far, everything else working great.
Here's where I got it, the folks there are cool. http://www.strongengineering.com/ind...PROD&ProdID=18

One thing to note - this film fits absolutely perfect and is virtually invisible (aside from the additional glare and slight adhesive border, you'll get used to it), but you need to make sure to apply it as far to the corners as possible and completely flush with all edges, otherwise the film surface will buckle and look terrible. I had to pull mine off and reapply to get it right.
Old 03-28-2006 | 01:07 AM
Anthracite TL

Originally Posted by ajeetm
Here's where I got it, the folks there are cool. http://www.strongengineering.com/ind...PROD&ProdID=18

One thing to note - this film fits absolutely perfect and is virtually invisible (aside from the additional glare and slight adhesive border, you'll get used to it), but you need to make sure to apply it as far to the corners as possible and completely flush with all edges, otherwise the film surface will buckle and look terrible. I had to pull mine off and reapply to get it right.
Thanks. Its a very good price for a piece that will protect 2K investment. I ordered 3 of 'em just in case I messed up. Thanks for the installation tip too
Old 03-28-2006 | 02:00 AM
4th Gear

Talking Just Got mine!

Drove a 2003 4CYL Accord EX-L for 3.5 years. Pretty good car....little underpowered...but nice for my first new car.

I test drove the TSX (too small for me), the Maxima (lousy interior), G35 (too expensive when comparably equipped to a TL) and the 300 (if I wanted to drive a bus, I'd be getting paid for it, not the other way around).

Got the TL over the weekend.

Black on Black with Navi.

I'm still in break in mode, and have yet to push it at all but WOW the TL drives like a dream. No rattles to report as of yet. (have only 20 miles on the car).

It reports only half an inch wider than my Accord, but its seems more of a chore to get it up my driveway and into the garage.

At least the left turn blind spot is minimized with this car. Anyone who's driven an 03 accord knows what im talking about.

I am a big tech guy, but even I am overwhelmed by the amount of buttons and features there are to play with.

The audio system is SICK!!! You have not lived until you've heard Metallica's Black Album on DVD-A in the TL.

The audio system won't play my Franz Ferdinand Dualdisc, but thats expected as it was made by Sony. Sony appears to use a different format on their Dual Discs (SACD), rather than DVD-A. Seems like its Betamax vs. VHS again. My other non-sony dual discs play just fine.

I'm not overly fussy when it comes to rattles and such and I hardly speed, so I dont expect any real problems, but we'll see.

My Accord had some rattles when I got it, but they went away or I just failed to notice them after a while.

So far I'm EXTREMELY happy with my car.

Let's hope it holds up.

Thank you for reading.
Old 03-28-2006 | 03:16 AM
Burning Brakes

I dont know if its just me but i think the brake pedal is placed to the left too much because my right leg hurts driving in stop and go traffic for only a few minutes. And also i think the brake pedal comes up alot higher in proportion to the gas pedal so that i have to lift my leg up high just to depress the brake.
Old 03-28-2006 | 04:31 AM
Instructor

levitynyc, good post.

ajeetm : Thanks, i just purchased one. but damnit, i realized i forgot to give a shoutout in the comments to acurazine.com . I will call them in the morning and let them know that i was referenced to their website through acurazine.com .

My TL is supposed to arrive this morning. Obviously I can't sleep. sorry, i'm a loser.
haha, to work off some energy, I went to a 24 hour gym with my friend. Once again, sorry, i'm a loser .
Old 03-28-2006 | 07:02 AM
Nobody's Hero

levitynyc - Welcome!

05 AT here, 6,000 miles and no problems. Still get excited when I see it in the garage and know she's going out for a spin
Old 03-28-2006 | 08:58 AM
4th Gear

Minor Question

Thanks for the welcome. I did just notice a minor problem. I figured out the TPM system and noticed the psi was 31 in the left tires and 30 in the right. They must not have checked it at the dealership. I guess dealer prep is a big waste of money.

If I'm not mistaken it should be 32 in the front and 33 or 35? in the rear? Please correct me if I'm wrong. On the way home from work I'll fill em up, I just don't feel like going home to look at the manual.

Thanks again
Old 04-28-2007 | 05:26 PM
Intermediate

I've got a 2006 3.2 non-Nav purchased in Oct, now with 8k on it. No mechanical problems or failures, but quite a few annoyances as most other posters have mentioned. You would think Acura would be fixing these, since the same complaints go back to 2004.

1. Rattles/clicks/pops etc... I've fixed the front speaker clicks, the passenger seat ticking, and some of the door trim clicking by inserting foam tape. Still pending are the noises from the center stack metal trim pieces, the shift gate vibrations, the passenger A-pillar once-every-morning pop, the wood door trim buzz, and the door glass rattle. To be fair, the car is extremely quiet which probably makes these easier to detect. The only time the car isn't quiet is on rough surface roads, and then the road noise comes through the glass, but very little through the floor pan interestingly enough.

2. Awful audio system. Poor high frequency response, uneven mid bass, MIA low bass. Good imaging though. The XM radio has some annoyances - you can't just push a button to see the name/artist of a song temporarily. I like to set it to display the artist name so if I hit the button to show the song name, I have to hit it 4 more times to cycle back to the artist. Seems they could add a feature if you adjust the volume it cycles through all the display information. Better yet, the display is so huge, why not just show both all the time?

3. Weak detents on the door, or as some have christened them, the "auto close feature". Come on, how does this cr*p get by everyone at Acura?

4. Related gripe, poorly placed door handles. A long reach when the door is open. Easy to give a ding to your neighbor if you let go of the door.

5. Brake pedal vibration from the wiper arms.

6. Rough shifting at low throttle. Especially annoying when trying to coast through a stop sign, need to hold the coffee when you give it a little gas and watch the whiplash.

7. Radio and sunroof buttons creak when pushed. All of the other switches are very high quality.

8. Lots of blind spots. This is not really anything to be fixed, just annoying. I already had to paint the bumper because I backed into my trash can (it was shorter than the rear deck). I'm tempted to get that wireless rear view camera.

9. The ride is overly jiggly. Again, this is more a choice of design because it's supposed to handle great and comfort is secondary. Usually it is comfortable even on bumpy roads, better than most sporty cars, but if you're coming home from a long day at work sometimes you feel like you're getting beat again.

Now the good news. The car is awesome to drive. Compared to my previous car, Olds Intrigue, the TL is a rocket. I feel like part of the car when I'm driving - the steering is exact, the brakes are strong, cornering is insane, and it gets 30 mpg on the highway (although only 16 running errands)!