Are purchasers of the '06 TL generally pleased with your purchases? Any prolems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006 | 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
I also had the XM problem.It started cutting out, then nothing(static,noise,etc.)Turned the key off, then on and it worked fine.
While in drive you can also turn the key as if you were trying to start the car. It will not engage the starter, but will reset the electronics. Saves you turning the engine off and restarting.
Old 01-19-2006 | 09:58 AM
Intermediate

2006 Royal Abyss Blue, NAV, AT. Got the car 12/12 and have 1600+ miles on it. The rear deck sub woofer cover does rattle when you got some high bass songs playing. I've read the fix in other threads though and will try it out on a long weekend. The only problems I've had with XM is occassionally the first song when I change channels will have static on it. The fix for me has been to wait for the next song or just switch the channels back and forth and that fixes it.
Old 01-19-2006 | 04:28 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ajeetm
06 WDP/Navi purchased on 12/26/05. About 460 miles on it right now. Installed a clear bra, navi protective film and getting all season floor mats, trunk tray and mud guards this week.

So far it's been wonderful. It's so comfortable that I wish my commute to work was longer!!

No rattles to report of aside from an occasional click here and there

I'm not getting the pedal vibration but I might be getting driveline vibration in the steering wheel although it hasn't been consistent.

One issue to note is that my XM radio will cut off occasionally, radio,CD and everything else are fine. The only way to get it back is by shutting off the car and turning it on again. Anyone else seeing this?
Yep my XM did this a couple of times as well. Don't know what's causing it...
Old 01-19-2006 | 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bplayer
While in drive you can also turn the key as if you were trying to start the car. It will not engage the starter, but will reset the electronics. Saves you turning the engine off and restarting.
Thanks, I will give it a try. happened to me again right, after my post, on initial start-up. Had to tun off & re start. Will try your way it's faster.Any body know why its doing it?
Old 01-19-2006 | 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bluenoser
I thought I had a drivetrain vibration also, but it turned out to be tires. Get a Road Force balance job. My 06 is now vibration free and rattle free.
Yea but mine is the drivetrain vibration becuase it only happens at certain engine speeds, not vehical speed. The car is vibrations free when going 80-100 mph so it cant be a tire balance or alignment issue.
Old 01-20-2006 | 07:40 AM
Intermediate

EL-42s?

Originally Posted by xavier25
I would have to say though that the EL-42s are utter crap and I can't wait to change them out.
I have an 06. No problems yet. I am still adjusting to the blindspots. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are EL42s?
Old 01-20-2006 | 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
Thanks, I will give it a try. happened to me again right, after my post, on initial start-up. Had to tun off & re start. Will try your way it's faster.Any body know why its doing it?
Maybe a weak battery.
Keep in mind, many cars may have sat someplace a long time before you buy it, and also during winter, electrical load might be very high, if you do short trips in the cold, you could have the ac running (defrost), fans running on high, lights on, wipers on, window defrosters on, that is a lot of electrical load, and the battery may discharge over time.
You could also have a connection problem, relay problem, or radio problem.

I would have it looked at.

I would check the battery voltage, connections, fuse box connections, and trickle charge the battery, but most people would just go to the dealers.

When you crank the car, the voltage can drop a lot with a weak battery, and scramble various ecu's.

Brett
Old 01-20-2006 | 09:56 AM
1st Gear

Unhappy Late production 05 Black on Black 6spd

I drove a Black on Tan 1993 5spd Vigor GS for 8 years 225,000 miles before I gave up on it, basically because I drive 80 miles a day to and from work and did not want to take a chance on it breaking down on me. That car was an absolute DREAM DREAM DREAM with EVERYTHING.

I then purchased a Black 1997 TL 2.5 5cyl auto (was OK, but no Vigor), kept that for 7 months, I was extremely board with the Auto, so I test drove the 05 TL 5speed and fell in love (So damn expensive though) But I got it anyway. I currently have 3700 miles on the 05 TL, the majority are highway miles. I have had no rattle trouble or any other issues to complain about other then the paint job.

I have so many chips on the front of the car for such a short period of time (Hood and Bumper) already, It's disgusting. I'm lost at this point and I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take a small loss (4 to 5k) on the vehicle before it gets any worse for me. I'm about 1/8 of the way to matching the number of chips I had on the hood and bumper of my 93 Vigor. I will not accept that or try to solve this issue myself for a car I paid $30K for. If anything I'm more careful with this thing (which is also a task driving slower and not driving behind trucks) than I have ever been with any other vehicle I have owned.

And I'm a Honda lover, I also upgraded my motorcycle from a Suzuki GSXR 1000 to a Honda CBR 1000RR in 05, I have about one chip on the front of a motorcycle that I have exceeded 178 MPH on. The poor paint job on the car is extremely sad as everything else on the 05 TL so far appears to be WONDERFUL. I'm more disappointed with the quality Honda placed on the road more so than I am for having to take such a huge loss.

But by all means I will cut my losses NOW. Sorry Guys
Old 01-21-2006 | 07:33 AM
Instructor

malikburns--seems like a large loss to take on principle. The clear film from 3M wouldn't set you back much, and I've never heard of a manufacturer picking this up.

Environmental regs have forced all plants in the U.S. to use weaker, water-borne paint.
Old 01-21-2006 | 08:29 AM
Nbw
7th Gear

Nice Car

I have my 06 for about 3 months with 4,500 miles.
I really like it, it is very well made fit and finish and during nasty weather storms it is a safe and secure car to be in.

I think it is a heavy duty car, not cheezy and this is the first time I have not bought a GM car.... never again will I return to american designs.

But you know what I have determined about american cars ?
It is not the manufacturing at all....
It's the cheap engineering, american cars are not built on solid engineering concepts.

Thats it !
Old 01-21-2006 | 09:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by malikburns
I have so many chips on the front of the car for such a short period of time (Hood and Bumper) already, It's disgusting. I'm lost at this point and I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take a small loss (4 to 5k) on the vehicle before it gets any worse for me. I'm about 1/8 of the way to matching the number of chips I had on the hood and bumper of my 93 Vigor. I will not accept that or try to solve this issue myself for a car I paid $30K for.
I think you are being a bit stubborn on this point as there is guarantee that any new replacement car will be significantly better. Here is a potential fix.
- repaint hood, bumper, fenders, and rear view mirrors for ~$1,200
- apply 3M Chip Guard to all these areas ~$1,500 (may have to wait for paint to cure)
- rental car for 3 days ~$400

You will have saved at least $1,000 and still have a car you enjoy.
Old 01-21-2006 | 05:11 PM
Instructor

Have had an 06 TL for just over three weeks and 1100 miles. Only complaint is a rattle coming from the front passenger door. I think it's the pull out junk holder on the door that's doing it.

Other than that, it's been flawless!
Old 01-21-2006 | 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vector7777
Have had an 06 TL for just over three weeks and 1100 miles. Only complaint is a rattle coming from the front passenger door. I think it's the pull out junk holder on the door that's doing it.

Other than that, it's been flawless!
I have a 06 and have that same rattle. Havent fixed it but its a easy fix
Old 01-21-2006 | 06:46 PM
Instructor

probs with 06 tl

Prig, I have had our Navi equipped Anthracite automatic since November. I have noticed a slight drivers window rattle but only once in a while. It drives and feels just like our old TL type S which is very nice. The 3 things I don't like lots? The seat back into the trunk doesn't fold. What's up with those 20 ton door checks? You need to be a gorrilla to overcome them when you open the door. After a road trip to Florida 900 miles away, I noticed my butt hurts as if the seat is too hard in that tail spot, just like the old Tl was. Other than that this is a pretty slick car, not perfect but nice. GM cars have more comfotable seats by the way. QR
Old 01-23-2006 | 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I just traded my 03TLtypeS for an 06. both NBP/Ebony. i heard rattles the 1st day but it was because the cabin is so quiet, i was just hearing my cel phone rattle in the storage compartment by the radio. the only official rattle is when i go over bumps with the window half open. maybe cuz its not broken in yet, IDK. everything i love about my 03typeS has been improved on this one. its just harder to see behind me when backing up. i'll get used 2 it
Old 01-24-2006 | 03:55 PM
5th Gear

06TL NAVI with 10K and no problems to date other than extremely disappointed with NAVI system and trip computer. My car was purchased in Canada and comes with kilometers instead of miles built into the trip computer.

There is no option to switch back and forth between miles and kilometers. Litres per 100K means nothing to me as I relate to miles per gallon. Acura / Honda produce other cars that have a capability to switch back and forth but not the TL. The sales guy mislead me on this feature.

Recently took a trip down to Florida and NAVI works fine on directions but really misses the boat on finding close by restaraunts on major interstates.

Other than these two issues , the car has been great.
Old 01-24-2006 | 04:50 PM
Advanced

05 TL with navi white tan interior not a single problem with the car and handles snow reasonably well with factory equipped tires.
Old 01-24-2006 | 09:11 PM
Egghead

Took delivery of 06TL, AT, Navi in early November -- about 2,200 miles on it. There is a slight rattle coming from left of steering wheel air vent on rough roads (it's muffled when I close the vent, so it's probably easy to locate when I take it in to the dealer for first service).
I'm satisfied so far, although it's so quiet and civilized in everyday driving that I have to ride the accelerator from time to time to make it growl and flex its muscles, just to remind me that I have a "sports" sedan.
I find the Navi system is hit-or-miss (it really doesn't know many landmarks in rural Florida, for instance) but it's good enough to essentially replace maps in the glove compartment.
I haven't gone on long (>500 mile) drives, so I'm worried about people reporting discomfort from the seats.
Otherwise, very happy.
Old 01-24-2006 | 09:53 PM
Pro

Wonder how frequently Acura updates its navi DVD, and if so, how much does it cost. Does Acura use the same DVD in the RL, TL and MDX?
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:17 PM
Instructor

Well I have noticed the XM signal lose near over head highways...

One thing I have noticed more is when the wiper is on....and I feel the vibration on the break......planning to check with dealer for this...

have any of others notice this?

except for this TL 06 is a babe.....

thx
Old 01-25-2006 | 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

last night i was looking @ the gap around the hand brake and noticed the hem on the leather (or is that vinyl?) is held by regular office staples! how cheap is that?
Old 01-25-2006 | 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Picked up our 06 Black/Black, navi on Dec 27. The only rattle I have comes from the front right speaker during songs with heavy bass, could be the rubber storage thing. I have noticed that the larger storage compartment in the center is very noisy. I wish Acura put a rubber liner in there like the smaller one. The car does seem to pull to the right slightly when I put on the brakes at slow speeds, ok at higher speeds, probably caused by tires. The navigation has a very nice interface, a little slow to startup but not too bad. I have noticed that the XM service does cut out more often then the sirus in our other car, but it usually comes back in a few seconds on it's own. One thing I found strange is how the door panels move slightly when we open the front windows. It is not very much, but it may cause some parts to work loose in there.
Old 01-25-2006 | 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

I think it's obvious Acura/Honda did cut some corners with the car, that's why it's so reasonably priced. The interior is mostly high quality, although things like the staples do reveal cost saving measures. I noticed the other day when I pulled up the cover over the spare in the trunk, my fingers stuck to some exposed adhesive on the edge of the cover. It seemed really cheap. Seems like Acura saved money on manufacturing in a few places, and added value by putting in alot of electronic features that are cool, but less expensive to add. That being said, I love the car and I'm fairly satisfied with the price/quality balance.
Old 01-25-2006 | 01:50 PM
Advanced

2120 miles so far with no problems at all...love the car...hope I am saying this at 22,000+ miles
Old 01-25-2006 | 02:59 PM
...just not small.

Originally Posted by woow14623
Well I have noticed the XM signal lose near over head highways...

For anyone who is a first-time XM'er with the TL. The loss of radio signal when beneath an underpass is not an Acura or a TL issue. Some of the newer aftermarket XM radio's have a small buffer that compensates for the loss of signal, but since it's radio and real-time, any blockage of the signal from XM's two satellites (Rock and Roll) is experienced as a short burst of static. If it persists for more than a few seconds, the radio display will show "no signal" until the stream returns.

It's common to every XM deck I've had for the past two years.

As far as the TL's XM cutting out requiring a restart of the car.....it has only happened to me once, but I didn't have to restart the car. I just power cycled the audio system and XM recovered. I was in category mode and was tuning between stations very fast.

-Jr.
Old 01-25-2006 | 04:12 PM
Safety Car

been 3 weeks, already have 3k miles >.<
by the way, do i need to get my oil change at 5k miles or when oil meter tells me there is 10% left? because after 3k, it just turned to 60%, if i wait until 10%, it'd be around 8~9k..

absolutely in love with TL
Old 03-08-2006 | 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile Re: What are EL42s?

Originally Posted by henoblah
I have an 06. No problems yet. I am still adjusting to the blindspots. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are EL42s?
Bridgestone Turanza EL42, the widely disliked OEM tires on most 3rd Gen TL's.
Old 03-08-2006 | 01:43 PM
Intermediate

whats up everyone new here!!! You defintly wont regret buying the TL this is my third.I have had a 2003 then traded it in for the 2004 w/o navi and regretted every day for not getting it. So finally in 2006 I traded the o4 for the 06 w/navi. No one will regret the purcahse JUST GET THE NAV!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2006 | 02:09 PM
Instructor

Had my '06 ASM for about a week and a half now. Best car I've ever had right out of the dealer - no complaint / comebacks from it. Totally loving it!!!!!! Only thing I am *slightly* disappointed in is the peformance of the audio system - not what I hoped for (especially after hearing the system in the Volvo I test drove). That said, this is the best car - quality wise - I've owned. Then again, it's my first non-GM car so take that as ya may .
Old 03-08-2006 | 02:16 PM
Safety Car

three months.. 3500 miles.. no problems

now i'm just waiting for it to stop raining so i can pamper my TL.
Old 03-08-2006 | 11:56 PM
Intermediate

I have 500 miles on my 2006 TL. I love it! I can't wait to get in the TL and drive. It is such an awesome car. I have NO problems. I love everything about the car! If you get a TL, GET the Navigation system, it is incredible!
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:11 AM
Intermediate

UPDATE: 2006 MT w/ Nav. Something scratches the inside of both front windows. It is barley noticable, but you can hear it...and now with tint, you can see it too. It is just ahead of the door lock
Old 03-09-2006 | 11:07 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

I have an 06 NBP which I purchased Nov 28th 2005 and so far no problems aside from small rattles. I love this car.
Old 03-22-2006 | 07:41 PM
5th Gear

Bought my TL on 3/13/06. Passenger side rattles (window?) on night of 3/14. Driver side rattles (again I think it's the window) on 3/15.

I called the dealer and he said to bring it in. They would keep it for a day, drive it around and try to diagnose and fix the rattles. Don't know if I should take it in right away, or wait for a little bit to see if other rattles show up.

Obviously, I'm pretty bummed about how these things can show up so quickly. Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with the vehicle. But, only time will tell. I've only had the car for a little over a week.

After doing a lot of reading on this site, I have my eyes and ears open for other abnormalities that may show up in the future.
Old 03-22-2006 | 08:17 PM
Instructor

'06 WDP Non-Navi, purchased 10/05 No problems so far, no rattles except on a busted up road
Old 03-23-2006 | 04:36 AM
Advanced

the only problem i have is making the mistake of buying the AT instead of the 6 speed...i guess im gonna have to suck it up for a few years. Well maybe not, has anybody try to trade their AT for MT? i wonder how much will i lose on it.
Old 03-23-2006 | 05:49 AM
Instructor

problems?

None so far and all cars rattle some times! I wish the seats fit me better but except for this and other minor quibbles it is one slick car! Mine is an 06 Anthracite automatic.
Old 03-23-2006 | 03:44 PM
2006 Anthracite Metallic

Bought mine in late November and no problems 3700 miles later. Took one long trip and noticed my legs cramping up. Raised the front part of the seat for more support and that seemed to help considerably. Did notice a long superficial "L" scratch behind the sunroof probably caused by an assembly robot. I had to wash the car three times before I saw it. Should come out with a little wax, but will take it in to show the dealer when I get that first oil change. This car handles about as well as can be designed with front wheel drive. I'm really pleased with how well the anthracite metallic hides the pollen down here in FL.
Old 03-24-2006 | 12:38 AM
2nd Gear

I got about 3500 miles. In addition to the clicking from the driver's door near the mirror, I noticed the metal plate around the shift lever creaks sometimes, and on hard acceleration, the shift lever itself rattles. NOt happy about any of it, but overall still like the car a lot and am learning to ignore it and keep radio cranked. I'll probably mention the rattling gearshift at the first service.
Old 03-24-2006 | 12:40 AM
Intermediate

you gotta get 05 your 12 hp below mw man

Quick Reply: Are purchasers of the '06 TL generally pleased with your purchases? Any prolems?