Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my wheel fell off

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my wheel fell off

my wheel...fell off....it fucking..FELL OFF....THE FUCKING WHEEL FELL THE FUCK OFF!!! IT FUCKING FELL OFF!!!!!!! OFFF!!!!

i was going down the turnpike...i was going about 80 (thats my normal turnpike or parkway speed). i get a terrible steering wheel vibration....so i pull over to look at the car....i look under the hood to see if theres any abnormalities.....i look at the wheels....the wheel was taken off previously to see if we could get the springs on but we needed a compressor so it wasn't working out...so the wheel gets put back on....so as the vibrations are hitting me....im like oh shit...the wheel isn't on tight enough...so i pull over....tighten the passanger side front side wheel....with the cross iron. and im on my way....the vibration goes away for like 30 seconds....i get back up to 70-80mph....BAM! i feel the front of the car scraping against the pavement....the fucking DRIVER FRONT SIDE (not passanger side WTF?!?!) wheel is falling the fuck off...i go swerving back and forth on a 4 lane highway.....i almost died...im not even kidding...i was beyond scared...so there i am sitting in the middle of the turnpike with cars slowing down some getting out to help me and some just going around....some people help me move my car to the shoulder lane....and bring my wheel alone with me....there i am....frantic...i call acura roadside assistance...and the turnpike is a private highway so they can't send anyone out so i have to call another shop which takes an hour to get there. an hour and a half later.....theres the truck and he jacks up the car...he looks at hes like...wow...this dosn't look good.....the axle and rotor are bent and some of the wheel studs snapped off....he put the tire back on...i lost all my lug nuts on that wheel so i had to take one off of each tire so it would roll easy onto the flatbed.....i am so upset.....i almost died...my car is really fucked up......UCH!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

good that ur ok.. wow im speachless..
Old 10-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KADAW

good that ur ok.. wow im speachless..
seriously bro, so glad to hear that you are all right...............

i hope all works out and good luck bro

sang
Old 10-30-2005, 09:26 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank God you weren't killed...

Who's the evil genius responsible for not torquing the wheels back on properly in the first place?????

Sounds like an expensive learning experience...

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:29 PM
"Joe Cool"

I agree it's good to know your OK!

It may sound "cliche" but the truth is material possesions can always be replaced.

Any idea what caused it?

Post some pics of the damage if you have any.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Thank God you weren't killed...

Who's the evil genius responsible for not torquing the wheels back on properly in the first place?????

Sounds like an expensive learning experience...

Let us know how it turns out.
i have no idea...we didn't even touch the wheel that fell off
Old 10-30-2005, 09:32 PM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i have no idea...we didn't even touch the wheel that fell off
Who is we?

And are you sure one of the others didn't loosen the wheel thinking you might be working on that side or sumthin.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks man. Sorry - at least you are ok.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

BLKTL1 was helping me put on my springs...but we didn't have a compressor and thought we'd be able to do with just sockets and wrenchs...but it proved useless...so we just tried on one side....and it didn't work so we put everything back on correctly......but im like .....100% positive the other side wasn't touched.....i don't know how this happened........last night some black kids (not to be racist) but i was in a bad neighborhood and i have neons under the car and it attracts attention so these black guys started giving me shit as i was going into the movie theater...and when i came out there were near my car touching it and shit.....its a slight chance but i think they might have something to do with it cause i told them to fuck off.....but i don't know....i was just so scared on the road today....u can't even begin to imagine how scared i was...i wasn't just scared that i was gonna crash into something...i was more scared that i was gonna crash into other cars and cause a huge accident.....if uve ever seen final destination 2 u know wut i mean...uch
Old 10-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by vp911
its at the dealership....BLKTL1 can vouch for me...cause he spent an hour looking for me to come help me...but to no avail
Old 10-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
glad u okay but theres gotta be someone who loosened the studs on that wheel...I just cant imagine a wheel coming off for no reason...
Old 10-30-2005, 09:44 PM
6MT & LSD

Oh man... glad to hear you weren't injured in anyway. This happened to a buddy of mine, too (albeit he was going much slower, 30~ mph), and I can understand how scared you must've been. Your insurance should cover this, though (just don't mention anything about working on the car yourself).
Old 10-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
glad you're okay. first things first, find out who touched that wheel last..
Old 10-30-2005, 09:57 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by trancemission
glad you're okay. first things first, find out who touched that wheel last..
What good would that do? Even if it was a dealership/shop that supposedly touched it last, there's no way to prove that it's their responsibility - someone could've loosened the lugs and that's that. Insurance is the only way to go in this case.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 PM
"Joe Cool"

i was more scared that i was gonna crash into other cars and cause a huge accident.....if uve ever seen final destination 2 u know wut i mean...uch
I feel you I was just watching that movie on cable.
Someone definately loosened that wheel.

If I were you I wouldn't be telling people to fuck off then walking away from my car. That is just asking to be keyed her in LA or worst.....like what happened to you.

PS..If they were White you wouldn't have said "some white guys were by my car".
So next time don't point out that they were Black..it isn't necessary.
Just say some guys, cuz whether you are or not ...it does sound kinda racial.

BTW.. I am not Black so don't think I am offended, I am just older and wiser.

Goddluck with your dilema. I hope you get your car back on the road quickly.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by 1sweetTL

If I were you I wouldn't be telling people to fuck off then walking away from my car. That is just asking to be keyed her in LA or worst.....like what happened to you.

sorry man...that wasn't my intention...its just they were starting with me and they were saying shit like....WHATS A WIGGER LIKE WIT DAT KINDA CAR...and shit like that....and im not like that....so i walked away and i was like..."fuck off"...not really a smart move but i wasn't really thinking at that time...
Old 10-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ndx2
What good would that do? Even if it was a dealership/shop that supposedly touched it last, there's no way to prove that it's their responsibility - someone could've loosened the lugs and that's that. Insurance is the only way to go in this case.

I dont know I was just thinking that if he had recently come from the dealer and they did some work in that area it wouldnt be hard to prove. Insurance is a way to go, but I myself would not rule out the dealer if in fact they did any work to it. I really cant see them saying "maybe some guy came up and loosened them up on you"
Old 10-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1sweetTL

I'm sure he wasn't being racial at all.. he was just saying who was by his car.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 PM
05 WDP TL

man...good thing you are OK!!!

i can be sure it was some people who let loose ur wheel....

wheels just dont come off like that.....especially if you didn't even touch it before....

i put on my own rims and rotate them myself and it has never ever happened.....

people just need to respect what other people have...

if you like my car...u can go buy one yourself and fix it up the same way so you can admire it...don't need to be hating and/or abusing what i have....
Old 10-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, glad to hear you're ok. now next time, first thing is to at least get 1 lugnut that is keyed (so you'll need the special socket to take it off) for each wheel. Worst case, if there ever is a next time, you'll have one lug that's on for sure and are hopefully at attention/aware a vibration suddenly occurs you can check on the rest of the lugs/wheels.

if they indeed messed with your car, man it's times like this where I wish I had a thermal detection video camera mounted on the center dome that could take thermal or high resolution video and record it live to an internal hard drive or send it offsite via satellite or some shit.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
BLKTL1 was helping me put on my springs...but we didn't have a compressor and thought we'd be able to do with just sockets and wrenchs...but it proved useless...so we just tried on one side....and it didn't work so we put everything back on correctly......but im like .....100% positive the other side wasn't touched.....i don't know how this happened........last night some black kids (not to be racist) but i was in a bad neighborhood and i have neons under the car and it attracts attention so these black guys started giving me shit as i was going into the movie theater...and when i came out there were near my car touching it and shit.....its a slight chance but i think they might have something to do with it cause i told them to fuck off.....but i don't know....i was just so scared on the road today....u can't even begin to imagine how scared i was...i wasn't just scared that i was gonna crash into something...i was more scared that i was gonna crash into other cars and cause a huge accident.....if uve ever seen final destination 2 u know wut i mean...uch
That sucks bro. Must have been scary beyond belief.

Which theater was this? Just out of curiousity.

And if you need help on the spring install when you get the car back, hit me up. I'll be home around Thanksgiving and can lend a hand ( I have all the tools needed).
Old 10-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
That sucks bro. Must have been scary beyond belief.

Which theater was this? Just out of curiousity.

And if you need help on the spring install when you get the car back, hit me up. I'll be home around Thanksgiving and can lend a hand ( I have all the tools needed).
Essex Green....i parked right outside of Panera's
Old 10-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh wow. glad to hear that your ok. I almost had a similar thing happen to me one time in my Acura Legend. I went to trade some rims with a guy and when i was leaving it was raining and as im driving down the road i kept hearing this weird noise so I pulled over to check the wheels and see nothing wrong. I continued driving and I saw a gas station approaching so I decided to pull over and check it out better and i as pull into the gas station I realized that the drivers side wheel was coming off. The guy who was putting the wheels back on had changed the pressure on the air gun which caused it to not tighten the bolts back up. So I proceded to call the guys and they rushed to my aid with a jack and tools and did everything theirselves and told me that they had it and they deeeply apologized for it. So after getting the wheel back in order we drove back to the house where the gentlemans father inspected everything and apologized for the mistake. After that I was on my merry way home. Im glad that the highway wasnt right off the house because if it was i would've been one f%#ked up individual.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Yeah. Glad to hear that you're all right. You got me paranoid now, I have to check my wheels tomorrow. Hope everything comes out fine.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Advanced

thats why my friends, u torque your wheels down to specs.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by haroman311
thats why my friends, u torque your wheels down to specs.
Read 1st. Post 2nd.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Advanced

exactly, thats why you torque them to spec, say you dont torque them, and just use a ratchet and tighten them, could cause lug nuts to come loose and possible bend or take off studs. say u use a impact, and you over torque the wheels with it, isnt it possible to stretch the bolts out a bit, maybe possible make them weak? thats why if possible, when u take wheels off, inspect studs, clean them off, and the wheels and mounting surface. and if u can, use a torque wrench, and NOT TORQUE STICKS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Advanced

unfortunatly since u were "tinkering" with your car, you would be responsable for it, unless in some way, you can prove that the studs or some component in that general area caused your accident.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:14 AM
Cold Racketeer

This is the second story about a TL wheel just randomly falling off. The first was ctlgo's devotion wheel... what is going on here with the wheels? Scary stuff.

Sorry to hear about it NFL... very suprised.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

exactly, thats why you torque them to spec, say you dont torque them, and just use a ratchet and tighten them, could cause lug nuts to come loose and possible bend or take off studs. say u use a impact, and you over torque the wheels with it, isnt it possible to stretch the bolts out a bit, maybe possible make them weak? thats why if possible, when u take wheels off, inspect studs, clean them off, and the wheels and mounting surface. and if u can, use a torque wrench, and NOT TORQUE STICKS!!!!!!!!!!
the wheel that fell off...wasn't tinkered with....
Old 10-31-2005, 12:30 AM
Advanced

so it was the passenger side you were trying to look at for suspension, but driver side fell off. well its gonna be hard to prove the dealer or acura was at fault. they will try anything to not cover warranties. did u ever take that wheel off recently? did u go to any aftermarket shops? tire shops, did ya just not tighten them up all the way up one day? or like somebody else says could have been messed with by some kids. what id do is when u get it all fixed, get some wheel locks. good investment, my friends car was stolen, and found about a week later, with the aftermarket wheels still on because of locks
Old 10-31-2005, 12:41 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

so it was the passenger side you were trying to look at for suspension, but driver side fell off. well its gonna be hard to prove the dealer or acura was at fault. they will try anything to not cover warranties. did u ever take that wheel off recently? did u go to any aftermarket shops? tire shops, did ya just not tighten them up all the way up one day? or like somebody else says could have been messed with by some kids. what id do is when u get it all fixed, get some wheel locks. good investment, my friends car was stolen, and found about a week later, with the aftermarket wheels still on because of locks
the only place it was brought to was StreetEffectz warehouse...and there was no problem.......the only thing i could think of is the night at essex green. cause im pretty sure that the driver side wheel wasn't touched

also...im not looking to point fingers at anyone....insurance will cover whatever needs to be fixed and take care of towing costs and such. but im just upset....because A) i almost died B) my car is pretty messed up C) my insurance rates will definatly skyrocket D) I don't have a car for awhile now
Old 10-31-2005, 12:44 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Okay, what part of "The wheel that fell off".... "hadn't been touched"/"hadn't been tinkered with"/"was not the side we took off"

don't you understand? It was pretty clear to me.

Wheel locks can be snapped right off, by the way. They make life a little more difficult for criminals, but by no means can they prevent anything.

It's not about the dealer being at fault, or Acura. Acura has parts suppliers and perhaps there was a defect in the workmanship on some parts of his driver's side wheel. They have no choice but to honor a warranty.

However - this does sound like a case for insurance.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have wheel locks for all five bolts on all four wheels?

Or would that be way over the top...
Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 AM
Instructor

nfl,,,,glad to see your ok
everybody will give there two cents ,but who cares how it happened,thats why we pay ins!

i had a wheel start to vibrate and i pulled over and shit all where loose,?
no reason ,shit just happens

im joking here ,but treat your car like a airplane and check every thing before you drive again,,

keep it cool and dont let any of these guys get to you,,your alive and thats what matters
Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 AM
Banned

my wheel...fell off....it fucking..FELL OFF....THE FUCKING WHEEL FELL THE FUCK OFF!!! IT FUCKING FELL OFF!!!!!!! OFFF!!!!

i was going down the turnpike...i was going about 80 (thats my normal turnpike or parkway speed). i get a terrible steering wheel vibration....so i pull over to look at the car....i look under the hood to see if theres any abnormalities.....i look at the wheels....the wheel was taken off previously to see if we could get the springs on but we needed a compressor so it wasn't working out...so the wheel gets put back on....so as the vibrations are hitting me....im like oh shit...the wheel isn't on tight enough...so i pull over....tighten the passanger side front side wheel....with the cross iron. and im on my way....the vibration goes away for like 30 seconds....i get back up to 70-80mph....BAM! i feel the front of the car scraping against the pavement....the fucking DRIVER FRONT SIDE (not passanger side WTF?!?!) wheel is falling the fuck off...i go swerving back and forth on a 4 lane highway.....i almost died...im not even kidding...i was beyond scared...so there i am sitting in the middle of the turnpike with cars slowing down some getting out to help me and some just going around....some people help me move my car to the shoulder lane....and bring my wheel alone with me....there i am....frantic...i call acura roadside assistance...and the turnpike is a private highway so they can't send anyone out so i have to call another shop which takes an hour to get there. an hour and a half later.....theres the truck and he jacks up the car...he looks at hes like...wow...this dosn't look good.....the axle and rotor are bent and some of the wheel studs snapped off....he put the tire back on...i lost all my lug nuts on that wheel so i had to take one off of each tire so it would roll easy onto the flatbed.....i am so upset.....i almost died...my car is really fucked up......UCH!!!
that's a crazy story so that accident happened after new wheels installed or your suspension kit? what caused your wheel to fall off?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blitz, glad to hear you're okay. Dude, it's just a car and it can be fixed. The main thing is no one else was involved or injured. A lot of us feel for ya and we can empathize. I'll agree with what acura101 jjuat said ....
Originally Posted by acura101west
keep it cool and dont let any of these guys get to you,,your alive and thats what matters
Just let us know how everything turns out......
Old 10-31-2005, 03:02 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tzakiel
This is the second story about a TL wheel just randomly falling off. The first was ctlgo's devotion wheel... what is going on here with the wheels? Scary stuff.

Sorry to hear about it NFL... very suprised.
ctlgo's wheel fell off too? damn, when did this happen?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vp911
oooh pics!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:38 AM
mio
Police

Just don't tell anyone u touched any of those wheels...

Even though it is not the wheel u touched...

PS: scary story, glad u r ok, and still wanna know the reasons...

Quick Reply: my wheel fell off