Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my wheel fell off

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 04:43 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by special-ed
ctlgo's wheel fell off too? damn, when did this happen?
he was driving along and felt intense vibrations... by the time he pulled over he had lost several lugs and the wheel was all screwed up.

just unbelievable... im going to buy a torque wrench tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:57 AM

guess you did want my help doing your springs
Old 10-31-2005, 05:12 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

I'm glad your ok, but which dealer did you buy you car from?...When I was shopping for the TL all the dealers in CT that I visited mentioned that they had installed wheel locks on all their cars, did you have wheel locks and if so those people at the theater couldn't have done this...
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tzakiel
he was driving along and felt intense vibrations... by the time he pulled over he had lost several lugs and the wheel was all screwed up.

just unbelievable... im going to buy a torque wrench tomorrow.
I carry one in my trunk at all times!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:37 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=SebringSilver]Just out of curiosity, does anybody have wheel locks for all five bolts on all four wheels?

Exactly what I was thinking. Even if he had wheel locks on (which I believe comes 1 per wheel), whose to say the other 4 (per wheel) wouldn't fall off or be taken off? Wheel locks are for theft prevention, not accident prevention.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
guess you did want my help doing your springs
lol i did...i just wanted to go somewhere lo cal and i didn't have enough money for a 12 pack and lunch lol...
Old 10-31-2005, 06:46 AM
Racer

Simple law of physics....wheels don't just fall off one day...
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by simont53
Simple law of physics....wheels don't just fall off one day...
Nice attempt at a crack but it didnt work.

Learn physics, then post.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Team Anthracite Member

(Flame suit on)

Having had a wheel try to work its way off one of my cars in the past - I think this story may be BS
  1. When those things get loose you feel it and you'll know it way before it comes off
  2. As you got out your Driver side after pulling over - you ABSOLUTELY would have noticed your driver side wheel coming loose
Any pics of this damage?
Sorry man - if what happened really happened - you are very lucky.

Good luck fixing it up. Hopefully now we won't see any threads about "Acura has such crappy lug nuts!"
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by special-ed
I carry one in my trunk at all times!
I suggest everyone do this, and keep it in the trunk along with an extension and a socket that fits the wheel lugs.

That way if you ever have roadside trouble you are much better off than with a tire iron or the crappy OEM tools.

It also makes a very nice club should you need it for that.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by jdb8805
I suggest everyone do this, and keep it in the trunk along with an extension and a socket that fits the wheel lugs.

That way if you ever have roadside trouble you are much better off than with a tire iron or the crappy OEM tools.

It also makes a very nice club should you need it for that.

thats not a bad idea, not sure about having the torque wrench all the time but a good breaker bar with extension and socket is not a bad idea at all. I kept that in my CL with me all the time. I had locking lugs on every wheel stud, but I had aftermarket wheels though.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cannot get over how these things happen. Sometimes a torque wrench or air wrench is a bad thing if it is not set properly. In all the years that I have swapped summer to winter tires, I have never had a torque/air wrench and have never had a problem. Its called carelessness is all.

If it is your car, you make sure it is done right. You should inspect and or tighten the lug nuts yourself.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Holy shit dude.... So glad to hear that everything is ok... Anyone know what the spec torque is on the lugnuts? I'm going to check mine out.. Again man, very glad to hear you're alright
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Cold Racketeer

I have heard 80lbs/foot is the right torque, but do a quick search to make sure first.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I have heard 80lbs/foot is the right torque, but do a quick search to make sure first.

thats what it was for my CL. but it doesnt take a torque wrench to feel that. the german method of goodandtight usually works. I was wondering though, when I first got my wheels put on the CL it was suggested that I come back for a retorque. Maybe when you take a wheel off and on you should check retorque after driving it a bit. I guess it couldnt hurt.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1sweetTL
I feel you I was just watching that movie on cable.
Someone definately loosened that wheel.

If I were you I wouldn't be telling people to fuck off then walking away from my car. That is just asking to be keyed her in LA or worst.....like what happened to you.

PS..If they were White you wouldn't have said "some white guys were by my car".
So next time don't point out that they were Black..it isn't necessary.
Just say some guys, cuz whether you are or not ...it does sound kinda racial.

BTW.. I am not Black so don't think I am offended, I am just older and wiser.

Goddluck with your dilema. I hope you get your car back on the road quickly.
Next time some shit happens to your car, go tell the cops that you saw a male, with hair, with clothes on and see how far that goes.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HEK
I'm glad your ok, but which dealer did you buy you car from?...When I was shopping for the TL all the dealers in CT that I visited mentioned that they had installed wheel locks on all their cars, did you have wheel locks and if so those people at the theater couldn't have done this...
If the other 4 lugs were loosened and the wheel was secured only by the wheel lock, I'm sure under cornering, the wheel will fall off. And yes, the people at the theater could've done this.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:49 AM
tTLiang

i am telling u man. someone did something to ur car and intended to kill. this is the "leaving only 1 or 2 on loosely" or "all loose" old trick. "all loose" u feel it right away so i think they did the "only 2". good idea to buy wheel locks for this reason and others.

i can't believe you told someone to "F-off" and left ur car there for their pleasure. a POS 1988 civic is one thing but a TL??? i am glad ur OK. hope u catch them.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Word of advice, if you suspect your wheel is coming off, jack the car up first before tightening the lugs. With the car jacked up, push the wheel until it sits correctly, then tighten the lugs. If the lugs are already tight, then check the opposite wheel. Heck check them all to be safe.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
tTLiang

i noticed the post time is off. need to adjust DST.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

post times are correct bro. what exaclty are you talkin about?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by trancemission
post times are correct bro. what exaclty are you talkin about?
it's only 1:02 here ET. unless the server is in the Atlantic somewhere it's like one hr fast.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
thats not a bad idea, not sure about having the torque wrench all the time but a good breaker bar with extension and socket is not a bad idea at all. I kept that in my CL with me all the time. I had locking lugs on every wheel stud, but I had aftermarket wheels though.
yeah, the torque wrench in the trunk, the special locket for the keyed lugs in a special hidden place, and my craftsman breaker bar on the left side of my seat for my "personal" safety.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, you're right.. it's 80 for the TL. I rotated my tires this past weekend and looked it up first.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by hcekc
Next time some shit happens to your car, go tell the cops that you saw a male, with hair, with clothes on and see how far that goes.
Yeah? Isn't that prejudice against males? not to mention against people with hair?
I think he should have just said some (and still alledgely, they could have been aliens) human beings

I really think political correctness is going too far, however with respect to this post, and this forum, I do not think we needed to know what color the people involved were.

BTW glad to hear you did not get into an accident.

Dumont
Old 10-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by TBone2004
(Flame suit on)

Having had a wheel try to work its way off one of my cars in the past - I think this story may be BS
  1. When those things get loose you feel it and you'll know it way before it comes off
  2. As you got out your Driver side after pulling over - you ABSOLUTELY would have noticed your driver side wheel coming loose
Any pics of this damage?
Sorry man - if what happened really happened - you are very lucky.

Good luck fixing it up. Hopefully now we won't see any threads about "Acura has such crappy lug nuts!"
i didn't post this for shits and giggles...i wouldn't do that...ive been on these forums too long to be a few time poster looking for attention...but anyways...it did happen...BLKTL1 can vouch for me because he spent a half hour looking for me to come and try to help me out....i didn't take pictures cause i was so shocked....i was trying to get the car to the shoulder other people came to stop to see if i was okay and if i needed help....when i got to the shoulder....i jacked the car up on the OEM jack and put the wheel against the car and waited for the Tow Truck/Flat bed to come
Old 10-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by ttliang
i am telling u man. someone did something to ur car and intended to kill. this is the "leaving only 1 or 2 on loosely" or "all loose" old trick. "all loose" u feel it right away so i think they did the "only 2". good idea to buy wheel locks for this reason and others.

i can't believe you told someone to "F-off" and left ur car there for their pleasure. a POS 1988 civic is one thing but a TL??? i am glad ur OK. hope u catch them.
i don't know where u live but if u live in jersey...where i was is sort of an open place....they have a stationary police station nearby and the cops stay outside of the movie theater like 3 cops...in their cop car....i felt pretty safe to say "fuck off" to them cause even though im sure me against 5 other kids is a definate loss but it was just nerve racking so i just walked away and said fuck off.

2 of the studs were broken......the tow truck driver said that these 2 snapped off and the others fell off along the way....and when the pressure was too much....the other 2 snapped.....
Old 10-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dumont
Yeah? Isn't that prejudice against males? not to mention against people with hair?
I think he should have just said some (and still alledgely, they could have been aliens) human beings

I really think political correctness is going too far, however with respect to this post, and this forum, I do not think we needed to know what color the people involved were.

BTW glad to hear you did not get into an accident.

Dumont
I totally agree with dumont. political correctness is not an issue here. we need to focus more on NFLblitze1's well being and give him some hope after that terrible incident. i almost got killed myself several years ago because front tire exploded on a freeway.....spinned 360 and bounced off on center divider. thank god i didn't hit any vehicles
Old 10-31-2005, 03:18 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by Pizza4Everyone
I totally agree with dumont. political correctness is not an issue here. we need to focus more on NFLblitze1's well being and give him some hope after that terrible incident. i almost got killed myself several years ago because front tire exploded on a freeway.....spinned 360 and bounced off on center divider. thank god i didn't hit any vehicles
sorry to hear that man...that sounds pretty bad...i was lucky enough to not hit anything or anyone....
Old 10-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have wheel locks for all five bolts on all four wheels?

Or would that be way over the top...
I can see 3 wheel locks/wheel, but definitely not five. Imagine the pain in the ass when rotating the tires.

But really, how often are you going to tell some guys to fuck off and then leave your car there at their mercy and then have them loosen your lugs?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Since it was towed have you went to the dealer to look at it/tallk to them and see what happened? Are you going to take some pictures of it at the dealer so we can check it out? Just wondering.....
Old 10-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by DavidPax
Since it was towed have you went to the dealer to look at it/tallk to them and see what happened? Are you going to take some pictures of it at the dealer so we can check it out? Just wondering.....
when the flat bed came, the guy was putting the tire on the car but it wouldn't fit perfectly so he just put it on and attached it so it would make it on the flat bed securly and nothing bad would happen to it...then we took it to DCH Montclair Acura...it was sunday that this happened so nobody was there so we left a drop box note with my keys and the lug nuts that i found on the ground...im still waiting to hear from them....ill take pics if ud like but i don't know what ull see....nothing is physically visible unless the wheel is off. im still waiting to hear back from DCH Montclair to see what the deal with my car is and how bad the damage is...but if i can get some pics ill take em with my phone.

for all of the skepticle(sp?) i really don't know how to prove this to you....i would hope that i have some sort of reputable reputation that would stray you from thinking id start a bogus thread...but we'll see
Old 10-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by hcekc
I can see 3 wheel locks/wheel, but definitely not five. Imagine the pain in the ass when rotating the tires.

But really, how often are you going to tell some guys to fuck off and then leave your car there at their mercy and then have them loosen your lugs?
i wasn't really thinking about the consequences of saying that....but im not even sure it was them.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
when the flat bed came, the guy was putting the tire on the car but it wouldn't fit perfectly so he just put it on and attached it so it would make it on the flat bed securly and nothing bad would happen to it...then we took it to DCH Montclair Acura...it was sunday that this happened so nobody was there so we left a drop box note with my keys and the lug nuts that i found on the ground...im still waiting to hear from them....ill take pics if ud like but i don't know what ull see....nothing is physically visible unless the wheel is off. im still waiting to hear back from DCH Montclair to see what the deal with my car is and how bad the damage is...but if i can get some pics ill take em with my phone.

for all of the skepticle(sp?) i really don't know how to prove this to you....i would hope that i have some sort of reputable reputation that would stray you from thinking id start a bogus thread...but we'll see
I just would figure that if you were going 70-80 mph, like you said in the original post, that there would be a shit load of damage to the car... thats why I was asking if you took pics, because I was just interested in seeing what it looked like... that's all
Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Missing my Acura's

Honestly even if you did not mean too sound racist you did. And maybe you did not mean too say it that way but you did. And the bottem line is when you tell someone too fuck off you gotta expect something in return whether it be verbal or physical. Now we dont know if it was them but if it were hey like many have said you talk shit then leave the car, Not smart even if they started it now it looks as they finished it also and they won. But hey your insurance should cover the damage just dont admit too fucking with the wheels at all most they can do is make you pay the deductable witch is better than paying the whole bill. Now this will not cause a raise in your premium because they cant find you directlly at fault. Good luck and your a lil younger but watch that temper and make smarter desicions, It takes a bigger man too walk away and ignore them.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

I just would figure that if you were going 70-80 mph, like you said in the original post, that there would be a shit load of damage to the car... thats why I was asking if you took pics, because I was just interested in seeing what it looked like... that's all
nah man it wasn't HUGE ...the front end of the bumper smacked against the pavement then bounced back up and the wheel caught under the car causing to be like a friction bumper i guess u would call it. so it kinda of was riding on the tire not the rim..the tire...thats why i was swaying back and forth because (i don;t know how to explain) it was pushing my car in a different direction...its hard to explain...but this is what prevented it from being a terrible accident *knock on wood*
Old 10-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by REDLINEN
Honestly even if you did not mean too sound racist you did. And maybe you did not mean too say it that way but you did. And the bottem line is when you tell someone too fuck off you gotta expect something in return whether it be verbal or physical. Now we dont know if it was them but if it were hey like many have said you talk shit then leave the car, Not smart even if they started it now it looks as they finished it also and they won. But hey your insurance should cover the damage just dont admit too fucking with the wheels at all most they can do is make you pay the deductable witch is better than paying the whole bill. Now this will not cause a raise in your premium because they cant find you directlly at fault. Good luck and your a lil younger but watch that temper and make smarter desicions, It takes a bigger man too walk away and ignore them.
Racist? Give me a break!

All he said was "black kids". I've used worst in everyday conversations. Chink, Gook, Chinaman, Nigger, Sambo, Spear Chucker, Jap, WhiteBoy, Camel Jockey, Diaper Head, Wetback, Kike, Wop. What am I missing?

And I'm not white either!
Old 10-31-2005, 04:45 PM
"Joe Cool"

I'm sure he wasn't being racial at all.. he was just saying who was by his car.
Hold up.... I didn't say he was being racial.
But why point out someones color or ethnicity?
How is it relevant to the fact that some guys, no matter what color were giving him a hard time? It isn't.
He said, "I am not being racist or anything", so that goes to show even he thought the comment was outta of place.

The only time that sort of description is necessary is if there are others to whom you need to distinguish from.
In this case it was unnecessary to point out Black, White, Spanish, Arab.

Someone else might read it and think
"Oh just cuz they were black that means they did it".
I don't think he is a racist.. but some people are more sensitive.
For the Record I am not black...or sensitive, just observant.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by 1sweetTL
Hold up.... I didn't say he was being racial.
But why point out someones color or ethnicity?
How is it relevant to the fact that some guys, no matter what color were giving him a hard time? It isn't.
He said, "I am not being racist or anything", so that goes to show even he thought the comment was outta of place.

The only time that sort of description is necessary is if there are others to whom you need to distinguish from.
In this case it was unnecessary to point out Black, White, Spanish, Arab.

Someone else might read it and think
"Oh just cuz they were black that means they did it".
I don't think he is a racist.. but some people are more sensitive.
For the Record I am not black...or sensitive, just observant.
i understand what all of u are saying.......but that wasn't my intention....i figured i would say these black kids because they started picking on me for being white and a "Wigger" which im not....so thats why i said BLACK... i wasn't being racist...if i said...a bunch of niggers thats a whole different story....but that wasn't my intention...
Old 10-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

its cool NFL......you've made your point, lets get back on track here..

Quick Reply: my wheel fell off