Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyg24
hey i think i jinxed myself..one of my back lights (dome) are flicking now...i removed and placed it back same results..what did u do...did super bright lights replace the bulb?
I had 2 of the WLED-6's do this on my first order. Email them, they will send replacements. If you place a second order, you can also fill out the "comment" section on the order form requesting replacements - They will include them in your order.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
I had 2 of the WLED-6's do this on my first order. Email them, they will send replacements. If you place a second order, you can also fill out the "comment" section on the order form requesting replacements - They will include them in your order.
do u have to mail the defectives back to them?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Instructor

delete...server mistake
Old 04-30-2004, 07:13 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyg24
do u have to mail the defectives back to them?

Tony, I did not have to. I just explained my issue and they automatically included them in my 2nd order.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:29 AM
9th Gear

Just as a heads up, www.superbrightleds.com appear to have the WLED-W6's in stock again in case anyone was trying to get ahold of them.

Ordered mine yesterday (2 WLED-B6's and 4 WLED-W6's)...
Old 05-05-2004, 02:31 PM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanx for the info getting mine next week
Old 05-05-2004, 02:32 PM
TLover

thanx for the info. getting mine next week.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:43 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxlr8s
thanx for the info. getting mine next week.
Thought I say something here since this thread has so many hits!!!! :rocketwho :rocketwho :rocketwho :rocketwho :rocketwho :rocketwho :rocketwho :rocketwho
Old 05-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Racer

Has anyone changed the dome lights in the back?? I replaced my front dome lights, but seem to have trouble getting the back ones out? And they also look like they are a different bulb?? Are they the same bulb as the front dome lights? And is it supposed to be just as easy in the back??
Old 05-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xpditor42
You mean that avatar picture is not you?
Nope. I'm an engineer, but I'm not a saxist.

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Did you ever consider that maybe...... well, you know... Is it possible you are a lesbian trapped in a man's body bathed in a techno-blue LED light?
I guess I never thought about it before, but maybe I am!

DopeTL04 - See here.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

The back works with the same size as the front.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by cybermatrix
The back works with the same size as the front.

Is there a easier way to take them out? Seem like theres less room in the back than the front....harder to take out!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

It is not that easy but here are some tips that may help.

1) Sit in the back when you attempt this.
2) Use a butter knife (rounded edge) or thin spackling blade.
3) Do it pref. when the car is warm inside so the plastic is flexible rather than brittle.
4) Push the light on and off, the top of the side you push in is where you want to insert the knife. Then tilt the blade slightly toward the light about 5 degrees while you pull downward.

It takes a little doing, but in my experience it was easier than the front. What constitutes the right amount of force is up to you so dont blame me if you take a sledgehammer to it or apply too much force. I've swapped mine out a number of times (switching from blue to clear, and back to blue) and I did not break anything. The only bulb I found to have a different size was in the glove compartment. (smaller)
Old 05-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Racer

3) Do it pref. when the car is warm inside so the plastic is flexible rather than brittle.
4) Push the light on and off, the top of the side you push in is where you want to insert the knife. Then tilt the blade slightly toward the light about 5 degrees while you pull downward.

It takes a little doing, but in my experience it was easier than the front. What constitutes the right amount of force is up to you so dont blame me if you take a sledgehammer to it or apply too much force. I've swapped mine out a number of times (switching from blue to clear, and back to blue) and I did not break anything. The only bulb I found to have a different size was in the glove compartment. (smaller)

thanks, I will attempt this!
Old 05-07-2004, 03:49 PM
I slap people

This is a very interesting post. You see.. after I read it I went to my garage to check it out. and freakin A, the driver's side complimentary door light cover is gone! nowhere to be found.. that sucks ass.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Team Anth. Audio Engineer

Thumbs up Very Easy Way to Remove Front Dome Lights

The absolute hardest part of this procedure is changing the front dome lights. The best suggestion that I've read was from ¿GotJazz? - he proposed using shrink tubing to grip the bulbs...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76235

Pretty cool solution, if you can find the tubing.

I couldn't find the tubing, so here's what I did:

1. Cut a 6"-8" strip of electrical tape.
2. Fold that strip of tape length-wise (so that it sticks to itself).
3. Put the middle of the tape on top of the light bulb, all the way back to the base of the bulb.
4. Fold the tape around the bulb so that it is very snug all around.
5. Use the tape to pull the bulb out.

Mine came out first try both times! I felt like I had invented time travel or something.

I hope that this can prevent many sore fingers...
Old 05-10-2004, 02:47 PM
the Budman

Thumbs up Cool beans!

Originally Posted by bzss7x

I couldn't find the tubing, so here's what I did:

1. Cut a 6"-8" strip of electrical tape.
2. Fold that strip of tape length-wise (so that it sticks to itself).
3. Put the middle of the tape on top of the light bulb, all the way back to the base of the bulb.
4. Fold the tape around the bulb so that it is very snug all around.
5. Use the tape to pull the bulb out.

Mine came out first try both times! I felt like I had invented time travel or something.

I hope that this can prevent many sore fingers...
I had a hard time getting them out with my fat, sweaty fingers and was going to give up. :smackhead I figured I try it one more time. Worked great! Thanks!
Old 05-11-2004, 01:23 PM
the Budman

Thumbs up When replacing the back dome covers ...

On additional tip for the back dome lights. When you replace the cover, put the outside edge in first (the one closest to the window on either side). Once you have that edge in, you can push the other side in easier.

Oh and BTW, the black masking tape trick that bzss7x mentioned works well on the back dome lights, too. Just did mine and put blue ones in by mistake :smackhead , then replaced them with the clear. Looked good in blue, just not what I wanted.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I got my bulbs today....4 days after ordering them....very good service. I love the blue in the doors and the front domes look great.

Now what is the type of bulb I need for the dome light in the center of the car? I cannot seem to find the type.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2004, 12:54 PM
10th Gear

Now what is the type of bulb I need for the dome light in the center of the car? I cannot seem to find the type.
I have a 2nd-gen TL and have been following this thread pretty closely....purchased the WLEDs for the front map lights and I bought the 3022 (4-LED festoon bulb) for the center dome light. Not only was this 31x10mm bulb too "short" for the metal connector clips, but the 4 LEDs did not provide nearly enough light as the stock incandecent bulb that was there (although the "whiteness" of the bulb is much better).

I placed an order for the 3910 (6-LED festoon bulb, 39x10mm) to use instead, hopefully those will work better. Like I said though, I have an '03, so i'm not sure if that will work for you....for $3 you have nothing to lose
Old 06-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Team NightHawk VP

here is another tip, instead of heat shrink, use dish washing rubber gloves, it should be able to grip the bulb and pull it right out.

i used the glove with no problems

Cliff
Old 06-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Team Camel Chief Justice

bought 10, replaced 7

i just used a thin piece of cloth, and it came right out. Pretty much anything that will provide grip would take it off. it was really easy, and a great mod for under 50 bucks.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
FisKarz,

I just ordered that same bulb, 3910, and will see if it works. Hopefully it will

Thanks I will let everyone know how it goes.

I don't understand the problems people are having removing the stock lights. I have not had a single problem removing them with my fingers. No special tricks...maybe I got lucky.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Cruisin'

does anyone know if the wled-b6 fits the doors for the 03 tls?
does the wled-w6 fit the domes or does the 03 model need different leds?

thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Instructor

I really don't know what the fuss is all about. I replaced all my lights (door, front, back and trunk) with wled6's within 30 minutes using nothing but a tiny flathead screwdriver to remove the covers and my fingers.

The toughest were the back seat lights. I found out that if you start out by sort of rocking the bult and wiggling it side to side first and then try pulling it out sort of sideways, they come right off. No heatshink tubbing, no rubber gloves, no nothing.

One problem is that my trunk light bulb which was replaced with a white wled6, seems too dim at night. Has anyone switched the trunk lights with a brighter LED?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Advanced

I think we should all send that guy from the TSX board all the superbrightled.com bumbper stickers that you get when you order some... What a great idea!

I just did mine and I like it a lot! I'm still getting used ot it though.. I'm trying to make sure it's not too 'ricey' (as they say..).

If I could just get the interior lights dimmer so you can see the blue better at night, that would be prime. Right now I leave off the dome lights when you open the door though. Is there any way for me to make them dimmer, but still allow then to be bright when I need more light? I still have the originaly bulbs in the map/dome lights..

-Steve
Old 08-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

I did it, and it looks awesome, not "ricer".

8 LEDs in all to include the front and rear domes, doors, glove box, and center console. The best part is they match the blue lighting on the dashboard, the blue light emitted from the overhead console, and the blue light around the ignition. Took me all of 15 minutes to chnage them all out. Look on E*Bay for them, you will find them for about $35.00 for all 8.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
pics

anyone has any pics to share? I would consider doing this, but I want to see before I try.

thanks
Old 08-10-2004, 04:17 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by badboy
anyone has any pics to share? I would consider doing this, but I want to see before I try.

thanks
I did this mod as well. It is so hard to photograph. My digital camera likes lots of light. And with lots of light, you can't see the blue. It gets drowned out. If I use no suplemental lighting, the picture comes out way too dark. It looks like tiny blue lights surrounded by darkness.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Here's some...

Originally Posted by badboy

thanks
Here are a couple that I took at night, but I only have 1 of the WLED-6 (blue) in each car door.

The last couple pictures on page 3 best represent how they really look most of the time.

-Steve
Old 08-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Just finished

I just did the LED mod today on my WDP with parchment and the look is absolutely striking. I didn't realize how it would really look until this evening in the dark - everyone should give this one a try - you will not be disappointed. I replaced the front and rear domes along with the doors - blue in the doors and white in the domes. Also, I had no problems removing the stock bulbs from the domes - took maybe 5 minutes to do the front, a little longer for the rear.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

FYI:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR

Superbrightleds.com now has the WLED-6 in stock in both blue and white. I have been checking there site for the past couple weeks and this is the first time they are both in stock.

I ordered 2 Blues for the doors, and 4 Whites for the overhead lamps. Comes to $26.XX including shipping.

Just thought I'd bring their availability to everyones attention.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:15 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I used a long-nose pliers to gently but firmly grip the bulbs, and did not smash one.

The rears are easy.

The hardest are the "map" lights over the mirrors. The trick there is to get between the plastic and the stamped metal that holds the light assembly. I used a small flat blade, using the far right of both map lights. There is a plastic retainer that needs to be depressed to release the plastic lens. I found that once I had separated the plastic from the metal a bit, i could insert another small flat blad to press in the center of the plastic, releasing the locking tab. It was frustrating at first, and I was weating like a stuck pig in the sweltering Virginia heat, but after I got the passenger side, the driver side came along easy.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Go Giants!!

I did this upgrade recently on my SSM/Ebony TL. I got the 9LED lights and put blue in the doors and white in the maps. Looks real good w/o going overkill. The whites read nice and have a slight blueish tint which goes well.

The doors are easy, as everyone has said.

For the maps that my big, meaty paws could not grab here's what I did.
* Get one of those rubber jar openers
* Get a needle nose plier
* Put the rubber in the tip of the plier
* Gently grab the blub and slight tug.

Came out w/ no fuss and no mess.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:55 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Well I'm about to place my first oder over at SuperBrightLEDs based on reading this thread several times. Here is the order as it stands now

6 WLED-W6 - 2xFrontMap, 2xRearMap, 1xTrunk, 1xLicPlate
2 WLED-B6 - 1 each for Door Courtesy Lights
2 WLED-B4 - 1 each for front side marker light (based on this )
2 WLED-W4 - For FrontMap or RearMap if I dont light the Brightness of the W6s

I was considering ordering Turn Signal LEDs as well, but there is alot less research on this forum on that topic. So I'll place this order with SuperBright and while installing all these, research the Signals. And then if any of the first order bulbs are DOA or have the Blinking problem some described, I can have SuperBright replace them in my next shipment for the Turns.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Good info.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Casper42
Well I'm about to place my first oder over at SuperBrightLEDs based on reading this thread several times. Here is the order as it stands now

6 WLED-W6 - 2xFrontMap, 2xRearMap, 1xTrunk, 1xLicPlate
2 WLED-B6 - 1 each for Door Courtesy Lights
2 WLED-B4 - 1 each for front side marker light (based on this )
2 WLED-W4 - For FrontMap or RearMap if I dont light the Brightness of the W6s

I was considering ordering Turn Signal LEDs as well, but there is alot less research on this forum on that topic. So I'll place this order with SuperBright and while installing all these, research the Signals. And then if any of the first order bulbs are DOA or have the Blinking problem some described, I can have SuperBright replace them in my next shipment for the Turns.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Good info.
I am thinking about going with the 9 LED bulbs instead of the WLED6 that others have used. As I understand it, they 9 LED will still fit, will be brighter, and might not have the same early reliability problems that WLED6 had.

In terms of the LED signal bulbs, I tried it but wasn't happy with the off-axis brightness. There is a dual-contact bulb that has 6 LEDs that point out the sides to improve visability, but I haven't seen a single contact RED LED with this. My concern is that if someone is in the lane you're switching into, they may not be able to see you signaling.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:55 AM
TLover

i think there is a reason they didnt use LED's for the signals.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:14 AM
2005 WDP TL

I have the complete LED setup I have removed from my car. If anyone wants it send me a pm. I have the blue doors and superwhite dome bulbs.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
I have the complete LED setup I have removed from my car. If anyone wants it send me a pm. I have the blue doors and superwhite dome bulbs.
Why did you remove the LEDs? Most of the comments I've heard about the mod have been overwhelmingly positive.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:03 AM
2005 WDP TL

My car is used for business, I have a lot of clients that get in and out of it.

Quick Reply: LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!