3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
markie mark, could you take a pic of that and show us how it looks?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since apparently the LED lights fit the back license plate light...

Has anyone tried to order the UV/Blacklight LED to illuminate the license plate?? This would probably only work in a few states, but in NJ we have Yellow/White reflective background with black letters, the blacklight may create a neat subtle effect without all of that neon crap.

Just curious if anyone has ordered the UV/blacklight and knows if the bulbs would have enough light to do this & still illuminate the plate?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:34 PM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by tonyg24
how much better (brighter) are the white lights than the factory lights...? {for the dome}
OK they're not brighter, just more white than the factory. They might be a little dimmer but they look much better..... :think:
Old 03-31-2004, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Someone has to post pics soon! Ahhhh!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spector973
Since apparently the LED lights fit the back license plate light...

Has anyone tried to order the UV/Blacklight LED to illuminate the license plate?? This would probably only work in a few states, but in NJ we have Yellow/White reflective background with black letters, the blacklight may create a neat subtle effect without all of that neon crap.

Just curious if anyone has ordered the UV/blacklight and knows if the bulbs would have enough light to do this & still illuminate the plate?
this has me thinking...i have a white license plate being i am in NY...i wonder how that would look
Old 04-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by copter
I was looking at the license plate lamps and the T13's fit.

Looks sweet.. Just make sure to use T13-W6..

How do you access the license plate bulbs? Through the trunk or outside?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Instructor

there is so much discussion here on the right bulbs for all parts...can somone who order the parts and has them working list the right ones and size to order from http://www.superbrightleds.com/..this way it will make it easier for people to order at once...and the site seemed to change a bit

dome light:
door light:
trunk:
hood:
license plate:
glove box:
Old 04-01-2004, 05:04 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
guys I can't take out the bulbs in dome.... door ones were easy.... so whats the trick to remove the dome bulbs... I had few of my friends try it... they couldn't pull it either.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Team SSM

there is so much discussion here on the right bulbs for all parts...can somone who order the parts and has them working list the right ones and size to order from http://www.superbrightleds.com/..this way it will make it easier for people to order at once...and the site seemed to change a bit

dome light:
door light:
trunk:
hood:
license plate:
glove box:
wait theres a light in the hood?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blufox
do not get the 3022-B4's for the domes they dont fit
get T13-B6

the 3022 are 4 the tsx...the t13 are for the tl...domes
Old 04-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by BigBluu
How do you access the license plate bulbs? Through the trunk or outside?
Outside... Just remove the license plate and frame and slide the lamp housing to the right and pull the left side out. The rest is easy; however getting it back in was a chore!!! :smackhead
Old 04-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
guys I can't take out the bulbs in dome.... door ones were easy.... so whats the trick to remove the dome bulbs... I had few of my friends try it... they couldn't pull it either.
Patience...wiggle them slowly back and forth each time pulling with the wiggle. They will come out eventually.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Door and dome experinnces

Just to chime in with my door and dome mod experience. Lights came from:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR

DOOR COURTESY LIGHTS:
Part: T13-B6 Blue

This is a wedge type bulb with 6 blue LED's. Install is *very* easy. Take a butter knife and wedge it near where the cover's clips are. Gently pry out the cover. Pull out standard bulb. Insert T13-B6 bulb.

Note: Initially, the bulb didn't work. Figured out the contacts were set a bit wider than the bulb's wires. I had to slightly bend the bulb's contact wires outwards for them to make good contact.

DOME LIGHTS:
Part: WLED-W6 White (On website, listed as WLED-6. Choose White)

This is also a wedge type bulb. It has 6 white LED's . Install is also quite easy. Take a thinner knife (steak knife worked for me.) For the front domes, wedge the knife on the inside edge of the covers (the edge closest to the moonroof controls) about halfway up the length of the cover. Gently pry out the cover. Pull out standard bulb. It's a bit tight but it will come out.

For the rear domes, wedge the knife on the small edge of the cover opposite the side that is used to turn the light on manually.

COLOR IMPRESSIONS:
The blue lights for the courtesy door are an excellent match for the blue of the guages. Since the courtesy lights don't shine too much into the cabin, they add a nice classy look that complements the rest of the blue lighting.

White lights for domes are a great change over the standard bulbs. It has a 'cool' blue hue to them. Closest I can come to describing the color is the color of the lettering in the MID. It's a *great* color for the ebony interior. It's lends a high tech look to the cabin.

IMHO, the white led's would not look good with the camel or parchment interiors because of brown and tan tones. It would look a bit bettter with the quartz interior but it tends to be a bit washed out by the lightness of the interior. For ebony, the effect is just stunning.

Definitely should use 6 LED bulbs. Even then, the overall lighting output will seem less than the standard bulbs. This is because LED's tend to throw their light forward while incandescent bulbs tend to radiate more.

A side benefit is that the front dome passenger is just the right balance between readability for the passenger side (for short viewings, anyway) and distraction for the driver. I could easily drive for an extended period of time with the passenger light on with no problem.

Anyway, very easy and quick for about $25 (bought extra bulbs just in case.)
Old 04-01-2004, 07:38 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
read this: http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75726

Originally Posted by Jessedog
Patience...wiggle them slowly back and forth each time pulling with the wiggle. They will come out eventually.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Good point. I should have mentioned that the bulbs really are a bit tough to take out.

Best advice I can give is to grasp the bulbs on opposite sides and put straight out. I think wiggling them side to side is a bit dangerous and will increase your chances of breaking the bulbs.

Another trick (especially if you have fat fingers) it to work your fingertips as close to the base of the bulb (where it tapers down near the contacts) to give yourself a bit of leverage.

It does take quite a bit of finger strength but it will happen. Just be patient.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by maecrispy
Just to chime in with my door and dome mod experience. Lights came from:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR

DOOR COURTESY LIGHTS:
Part: T13-B6 Blue

This is a wedge type bulb with 6 blue LED's. Install is *very* easy. Take a butter knife and wedge it near where the cover's clips are. Gently pry out the cover. Pull out standard bulb. Insert T13-B6 bulb.

Note: Initially, the bulb didn't work. Figured out the contacts were set a bit wider than the bulb's wires. I had to slightly bend the bulb's contact wires outwards for them to make good contact.

DOME LIGHTS:
Part: WLED-W6 White (On website, listed as WLED-6. Choose White)

This is also a wedge type bulb. It has 6 white LED's . Install is also quite easy. Take a thinner knife (steak knife worked for me.) For the front domes, wedge the knife on the inside edge of the covers (the edge closest to the moonroof controls) about halfway up the length of the cover. Gently pry out the cover. Pull out standard bulb. It's a bit tight but it will come out.

For the rear domes, wedge the knife on the small edge of the cover opposite the side that is used to turn the light on manually.

COLOR IMPRESSIONS:
The blue lights for the courtesy door are an excellent match for the blue of the guages. Since the courtesy lights don't shine too much into the cabin, they add a nice classy look that complements the rest of the blue lighting.

White lights for domes are a great change over the standard bulbs. It has a 'cool' blue hue to them. Closest I can come to describing the color is the color of the lettering in the MID. It's a *great* color for the ebony interior. It's lends a high tech look to the cabin.

IMHO, the white led's would not look good with the camel or parchment interiors because of brown and tan tones. It would look a bit bettter with the quartz interior but it tends to be a bit washed out by the lightness of the interior. For ebony, the effect is just stunning.

Definitely should use 6 LED bulbs. Even then, the overall lighting output will seem less than the standard bulbs. This is because LED's tend to throw their light forward while incandescent bulbs tend to radiate more.

A side benefit is that the front dome passenger is just the right balance between readability for the passenger side (for short viewings, anyway) and distraction for the driver. I could easily drive for an extended period of time with the passenger light on with no problem.

Anyway, very easy and quick for about $25 (bought extra bulbs just in case.)

u got me thinking should i get the white or the blue lights for the domes..i have the blue in the door and i luv them

i was thinking that gauges on car are all blue why not keep all the lights blue

whats the difference between WLED-6 LED bulb and the T13-B6 LED bulb ... u can get them both in blue but the WLED is more money than the t13...why? is it brighter...i am looking to get these lights for the domes...i got the t13 for the doors
Old 04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Instructor

whats the difference between WLED-6 LED bulb and the T13-B6 LED bulb ... u can get them both in blue but the WLED is more money than the t13...why? is it brighter...i am looking to get these lights for the domes...i got the t13 for the doors
Honestly, don't know. I couldn't find the T13's in white so I ooked for an alternative. The WLED's worked as they also replace 194 type bulbe.

I didn't end up going for blue with the domes because it looked a bit ricey to mee. Blue in the doors was alright with me as I kind of view it as accent lighting. The domes to me are to widespread in the cabin to be considered 'accent' lighting. Hence, my choice of the more neutral white. Had I gone with blue, there would have been too much blue and not enough readable light.

My $0.02.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The results are in!

O.K. ... Here's what I found out, and there's a change from what you may have read before:

First, the change: Don't order the T13 series bulbs! They are a little bit larger than the standard bulbs, and don't make as good of an electrical contact as the WLED series for some reason.

My recommendations are:

Doors: (2 total, 1 for each door) WLED-B6 (for blue) or WLED-W6 (for white). The blues look darned cool, even in my Parchment interior. Bet they look even better in the Ebony or Quartz! Note: The T13-B6 fit too close to the diffusing lens and looked kind of goofy.

Door light cover removal instructions: To remove the cover, take a small flat-head screwdriver (1/8" blade works well) and put it in one of the two indents at the top of the cover. Pry just enough of the cover away to separate it slightly from it's latching area. Keeping this section separated by pulling slightly downward on the cover, take the screwdriver and pry the other indent at the top - and then the cover will come off easily. You shouldn't have to twist or press hard on anything here to remove the cover.

Door light removal and replacement: Close the door after removing the cover. Let the lights get cool to the touch. The lights pull straight out without too much force. Remember that the lights are made of glass, so don't force anything. Save them (and label them) in case you need tem in the future for some reason.

Open the door now - you'll want to see that you're making good electrical contact when putting in the LED bulb. When the LED is lit (it won't get very hot), your making decent contact. Keeping the bulb blade horizontal, push the bulb in until it is seated properly. Snap the cover back on by putting the hooks in at the bottom first, then snap it in at the top. Done!

Domes: (4 total, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear) WLED-W4. Period. If you get the WLED-B4 blue LEDs, you'll probably regret it a year or two from now. Or possibly the first time that you actually try to read something with the entirely blue lighting. Here's a decorating tip for those of you who are decor challenged: Don't overdo a good thing ... the blue lighting in the TL looks so good because it's subtle. By using white LEDs, you actually get a more cohesive "blend" because it will pick up the white LED lighting in the speedometer. The WLED-W4 white LEDs are "blue" enough to still go really well with the blue interior lighting.

The amount of light from the WLED-W4 4 LED package seems pretty good for reading. I suspect that the WLED-W6 may be too bright. If you are unsure, you can still order 2 extra WLED-W6s to try out in the front. Let us know your results.

Dome light cover removal instructions: The notch of interest is on the edge towards the front of the car, near the center of the lens. Using the same flat-head screwdriver mentioned above, you can pry the cover loose, which will then swing down and towards the back of the car. Pull the cover free. Again, you shouldn't have to force anything. Note: If you installed wood trim around the dome lights like I did, the 2 notches at the rear of the lens are a bit more challenging to get out. You may have to wiggle the lens around a bit while pulling it down and out. Don't force it!

Front dome light removal: This is the one that sucks. You will have to be a bit aggressive here, so be careful. Remember that the bulb is made of glass! If you attempt this, the bulb may break - it has for some of the other guys. Good Luck!

Also, if you have big fingers, you may want to let someone else do this.

Again, wait until the bulb has cooled down. What I found to work was to wiggle the bulb side-to-side a little first. Then, I grasped the bulb near the base where it plugged in, holding the the top and bottom, so that I had a little more "grip" because of the bulges in the bulb. Then I gently wiggled up/down and left/right, trying to keep a constant pulling pressure. Eventually (about 2-3 minutes per bulb), it should come out. Whew!

Next, press the white/gray circular pushbutton towards the front of the light to turn on the power to the light. The WLED-W4 may be "polarized", which means that it will only go on if it is plugged in in the right direction. Put the LED bulb in the socket (but don't press it in yet). If it doesn't light up, try flipping it over. It should light one way or the other. Once you find the proper direction, press it in until it seats correctly. Then, wipe down the reflective silver stuff around the light bulb to clean away your fingerprints/dirt/oil. Snap the cover back on by inserting the two notches in the back of the cever first, then push the front of the lens up and forward until it snaps back into place. Done!

I'll give you my tips on replacing the rear dome lights when I get them in.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Instructor

I used a machinist type metal ruler (thin type).
Lots of surface width to pry evenly, no marring or gouging.

Channel locks: starting w/light pressure, pull straight down.
When the channel locks slipped, I applied more pressure.
Viola! (3-4 attempts later)
The second one came out on the first attempt.

Like removing a splinter--just enough tugging/pressure and straight out.

This just gave me an idea:
Take some electrical tape, and wrap a short length around one jaw, and then another short length around the other jaw of the channel locks = GRIPPAGE!

6 LED's in the doors and 4 LED's in the domes--looks cool ( I don't think I am a ricer--hope not). 6 LED in the trunk.

Put the old bulbs (minus 1 broken front-left dome), in the bags that the LED's came in. Also wrote where they came from (ie.dome).

The UV LED's might be in the future, for the white CA plate...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Drifting

pics?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Instructor

I've got an Olympus C50 zoom 5 MegaPixel,
but I am not motivated to get them on this site.

Every time I go to take a picture of the car, I get complacent and either stare at the car, or go for a putt.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

So which is it??? The WLED-W6 or W4 for the domes? Also, do they dim alot faster than the incandescent bulbs? Finally, what are you using for the license plate lights and someone mentioned the trunk light.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:36 PM
270: Dats a lot o' horses

Originally Posted by maecrispy
Honestly, don't know. I couldn't find the T13's in white so I ooked for an alternative. The WLED's worked as they also replace 194 type bulbe.

I didn't end up going for blue with the domes because it looked a bit ricey to mee. Blue in the doors was alright with me as I kind of view it as accent lighting. The domes to me are to widespread in the cabin to be considered 'accent' lighting. Hence, my choice of the more neutral white. Had I gone with blue, there would have been too much blue and not enough readable light.

My $0.02.
Just an FYI, the white T13 type bulbs are listed on the bottom of page 2 on superbrightleds. For some reason, they aren't listed with the other T13 bulbs.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Instructor

I wonder if I should get a personalized plate 04TLPBR???