3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I ordered and installed the WLED-W6 bulbs in the dome lights (front and rear) and the WLED-B6 bulbs in the doors and I think it looks great. I really am not into the whole "rice" look and think that it looks like the car should have come (okay, maybe the doors are a bit more ) equipped. One other thing that I really noticed tonight as I was driving was how much less distracting the dome lights are now. My wife was reading in the front and my daughter in the back and the light, although very suitable for reading purposes, was barely noticeable to me as I drove. In addition, when looking in the rear view mirror, I could see perfectly out the back, with no distraction like that of the stock bulbs.

Thanks again for the tip!
Old 10-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Instructor

No one has answered this yet??

Anybody know the bulb replacements for the glove compartment and the center console ??
Old 10-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by JMan
Anybody know the bulb replacements for the glove compartment and the center console ??
All it says in the service manual is they are both 1.4W. They look like small push in type bulbs. No other specs given.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Instructor

And by the way, who said there is as light under the hood?!?!?! Not on my '04TL?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good info
Old 10-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Instructor

I would like to add lights (LED) by the footwell of the driver and passenger side. I want it to connect it to the same circuit as the dome light. Can someone send pics as to where to tap for this circuit?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by techguy
I would like to add lights (LED) by the footwell of the driver and passenger side. I want it to connect it to the same circuit as the dome light. Can someone send pics as to where to tap for this circuit?
I did this same thing to my car and here's how I did it:

I used an "add-a-circuit" from AutoZone (any auto parts store will have it for about $6, but avoid overpriced Napa). Make sure it is the right size (ATM). Connect it to the fusebox on the left side of the driver footwell. When you take the cover off that fusebox, you can see a sticker on the inside of the cover that lists all the fuses and what circuit they protect. Find the one for the interior lights, labeled "int. lights". Then connect the power wire for your 12v LED lights to the add-a-circuit red wire, and connect the ground wire to any metal screw attached to the car.

I hope this helps. Give me lots of rep points even if it doesnt.

Since this is kind of tangential to the rest of this thread, I think I'll start a new how to thread with this info. Maybe even post some photos later.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Use a 74 LED. superbrightleds.com sells them cheap in a ton of colours. To replace them, pop out the white clear plastic piece. An entire light housing will come out with it. The white plastic piece DOES NOT separate itself. Twist the entire top housing to reveal the bulb inside.

Originally Posted by JMan
Old 10-25-2004, 01:57 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

I installed my doors, domes and trunk LEDs last week.

For the front domes, I put a plastic knife (Fast Food) under the bulb where it tapers towards the wedge. Then put my fingers over the top and this was enough leverage to get the bulb out without breaking it. Rear domes and doors were easy compared to front domes. Trunk light was easy as well, but the LEDs pointing forward mean the trunk gets less light overall.

I Used 6 bulb's all around.

Once the rain lets up, I'll start in on the side markers.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MisterLawyer

I used an "add-a-circuit" from AutoZone (any auto parts store will have it for about $6, but avoid overpriced Napa). Make sure it is the right size (ATM). Connect it to the fusebox on the left side of the driver footwell. When you take the cover off that fusebox, you can see a sticker on the inside of the cover that lists all the fuses and what circuit they protect. Find the one for the interior lights, labeled "int. lights". Then connect the power wire for your 12v LED lights to the add-a-circuit red wire, and connect the ground wire to any metal screw attached to the car.

Since this is kind of tangential to the rest of this thread, I think I'll start a new how to thread with this info. Maybe even post some photos later.
I use add-a circuit for my radar detector and for my GPS (pocket PC attached since I do not have NAV). If I attach the add a circuit to the one labeled interior lights, will dim the lights as well? If it does, then it would be advisable to use only LED or low wattage bulbs as it may burn out the dimming circuitry.
I assume you tried this already. What kinda bulbs did you connect to it?
Old 10-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Instructor

A DIY step by step would be awsome!

Does the footwell lights dim with the dome lights?

Old 10-26-2004, 02:29 AM
Instructor

Yes the footwell lights do dim with the interior lights. Here are some other ways to control the added circuit based on where you plug it in the fuse box:

•If you plug it into the "acc. 1" empty fuse slot, the footwell lights will be on whenever the key is in the ignition 1 or ignition 2 position.
•If you plug it into the "acc. 2" empty fuse slot, the footwell lights will be on whenever the key is in the ignition 2 position. (e.g. when the car is running)
•If you plug it into the "Right Rear Power Window" fuse slot, the footwell lights will be on whenever the key is in the ignition 2 position, except when the windows are locked from the driver's master switch. This is useful if you want to use the master window switch to turn the footwell lights on and off.
•If you plug it into the "driver's power seat" fuse slot, the footwell lights will be on always (until the battery dies).

These are just examples. If you have any sort of conception of electrical wiring, you should be getting the idea by now. If the device that the fuse protects has power available to it, then the add-a-circuit that you added to that fuse slot will also have power available to it.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by techguy
I use add-a circuit for my radar detector and for my GPS (pocket PC attached since I do not have NAV). If I attach the add a circuit to the one labeled interior lights, will dim the lights as well? If it does, then it would be advisable to use only LED or low wattage bulbs as it may burn out the dimming circuitry.
I assume you tried this already. What kinda bulbs did you connect to it?
LEDs all around!
Old 10-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Instructor

LEDs all around!
What LEDs did you use for the foot wells? Did you get a light bar or did you use a boyonet type bulb with a cluster LED?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:48 AM
Instructor

A single led bulb would be sufficient for the footwells, but a bayonet bulb like a 6LED or 9LED would be good if want a LOT of brightness down there. Light bars should work pretty well too, but take up more space and tend to cost more than just a couple of good 12v LEDs. I myself use just a single blue LED in each of the footwells.

Btw, if you want the footwell lights to be on whenever your headlights are on, you can run wire through the firewall to the fusebox in the trunk and then use the add-a-circuit on one of the headlights. The 1991-1995 Acura legend had that ambient lighting feature.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Misterlawyer-
Lights in the footwells? My '04 doen't have them? Did I miss something here??
Old 10-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Just to be perfectly clear on how you're doing this:

To add 6LED light to the footwell area, you would simply plug in the "Add a Circuit" fuse to the fuse box, solder the red wire from the "add a circuit" to the + terminal of the LED, then solder a wire to the - terminal of the LED, and plug that wire to the ground terminal of the car? No other circuits, resisters, capacitors of that natures is required?

If that's the case, it's an extremely simple and cool mod!

A single led bulb would be sufficient for the footwells, but a bayonet bulb like a 6LED or 9LED would be good if want a LOT of brightness down there. Light bars should work pretty well too, but take up more space and tend to cost more than just a couple of good 12v LEDs. I myself use just a single blue LED in each of the footwells.

Btw, if you want the footwell lights to be on whenever your headlights are on, you can run wire through the firewall to the fusebox in the trunk and then use the add-a-circuit on one of the headlights. The 1991-1995 Acura legend had that ambient lighting feature.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Jman, see this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98980

Oil Fighter, Just make sure it's a 12V LED. (These are LEDs with all the necessary resistors, etc built directly into the bulb, so that you can treat it as if it were a 12V bulb).

Check eBay, there's a guy named TecToys selling the latest generation of 12V LED bulbs. They are a little more expensive but will last longer, will shine a tiny bit brighter, and most importantly, are durable which reduces the chances of breaking it during installation or use. I use them in my TL and they work great.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Instructor

I found a 10" blue neon for $3.00 at BigLots. I installed in the trunk. Looks OK. Will post pics if you want. I wanted to install then for the footwells. My delema is that I wanted them connected to the dome circuit. With the dimming action, I am afraid that the dimming circuit will blow with neon lights. Has anyone tried hooking up a neon "baton" to the "int. lights" fuse tap?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Instructor

The "int light" fuse tap is constant on. It does not go off with the dome lights. I'm not sure how "misterlaywer" had his setup working with the dome light.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Lots of Pics of LED Mods on my 04TL

Same as posted here

Enjoy

PS: I hope to have the Side Marker Mod finished and well documented by sometime next week, and I will add that to my "Exterior Mods" section of my gallery. I have pics from KJSmitty already posted there but not documented. (Thanks Smitty!!)
Old 11-24-2004, 06:15 PM
5th Gear

This is what my SSM looks like with the domes and doors changed to blue.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:41 PM
10th Gear

sorry for rehasing an old thread.

since the WLED-W6 were out of stock, I was thinking about getting the 921-W9.

I saw a few posts saying they ordered the 9 bulb ones, but never really came back to post results. The site says the W6 are the brightest of this bulb type. Not sure if that means it's brighter then the W9.

Everyone seems to have gone W6 or B6, but if the W9s are brighter.then I dont see why i'd wait for W6s.

thx in advance!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:02 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Here is an Ebay Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33713
Old 12-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Instructor

I bought the 12 LED version from the same guy. I changed all the lights to blue, and I must admit, it looks pretty sweet.

Originally Posted by tkx
Old 12-14-2004, 07:36 PM
4th Gear

all this talk about blue lights.... what about xeon dome lights.... get rite of that yellowish light
Old 12-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sublimecreature
all this talk about blue lights.... what about xeon dome lights.... get rite of that yellowish light
Many have used white LEDs with great results to get rid of the yellow tint that the regular filament bulbs give off.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for this one!!

Just got my blue lights for the doors in today and installed them in less then 5min. They look great! Kudos to all who made this suggestion!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Check ebay; only lik 15 bucks.. id install some on the doors but not on the overhead lights; it kinda hard 2 see....
Old 12-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Advanced

Well, I too just spent about 20 minutes putting the B6 lights in the door, and W6 lights in the front cabin and W4 lights in the back cabin. Even my wife likes it, I think.

Of the six bulbs, all of the covers were easy to remove - just look where you need to pry a bit. One of the bulbs was pretty hard to get out in the front, and the one in the rear was almost impossible to get out, I must have spent ten minutes trying to get that one out. Two seconds to put the new one in.

I wish I had ordered four of the W6 bulbs, as the back is a little dull, but I can live with it.

Shipping from superbrightleds to Canada required a minimum $25 order, so I have a couple of extra B6 and B4 bulbs.

Thanks to the originator and the others who have done this and shared. It was easy to order the right things, easy to do, and I'm super pleased with the results!

Especially with the silver exterior, it just glows...

One question. When I took the cover off the back dome lights, what is the little round void or connector in there? I didn't take a flashlight with me, and it was drak, but it looked like it was some sort of connection.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Advanced

I read that people have done their license plate lights. There are two of them, right? Is it easy to change them? I may do a second order to get W6 for the back dome lights, and ones for the trunk, and license plate - if that's straightforward.

Is the glovebox the same light? I could use the W4 there I suppose.

Has anyone use 9 LEDs in the cabin?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:30 PM
PTN
Instructor

where are the 9LED's on superbrightleds?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 AM
PTN
Instructor

Originally Posted by aznlstar
sorry for rehasing an old thread.

since the WLED-W6 were out of stock, I was thinking about getting the 921-W9.

I saw a few posts saying they ordered the 9 bulb ones, but never really came back to post results. The site says the W6 are the brightest of this bulb type. Not sure if that means it's brighter then the W9.

Everyone seems to have gone W6 or B6, but if the W9s are brighter.then I dont see why i'd wait for W6s.

thx in advance!
the 921 style W9 is the wrong bulb. you need the 194 style for the doors. i haven't seen a 194 style bulb in 9LED on that site.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

I've been searching for a way to put blue side marker lights on my Abyss 04 for weeks; thanks for your post. I would only quibble with your definition of "easy." Since it is my life-long goal not to own any tools, your step 1, remove the front tire, lost me!

Anyone in MN or WI that is reputable and would do this for me?

Also, anyone checked for state laws on blue side-marker? I've seen lots of colors on trucks, but I hear rumors of flashing red/blue on the side of new patrol cars.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:48 PM
black on black on bla....

Originally Posted by PeterGrant
I read that people have done their license plate lights. There are two of them, right? Is it easy to change them? I may do a second order to get W6 for the back dome lights, and ones for the trunk, and license plate - if that's straightforward.

Is the glovebox the same light? I could use the W4 there I suppose.

Has anyone use 9 LEDs in the cabin?
dont put blue on the exterior of the car, especially above the license. Not only is blue an "official" (reserved for cops, emergency vehicles, etc aka illegal) color in some states, it looks gross i tried it. There are two bulbs above the license easily removable from the outside using a butter knife or simialir tool. They are the same bulbs found in the doors, dome lights.

The glovebox however, uses a smaller bulb that i have purchased a blue replacement for, but cannot figure out how to install it (remove glovebox?) but i did replace the center console light with a blue one using a pair of pliers and some glue to replace the white plastic thing.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply on the exterior; you have saved me immeasurable heartache! I got one reply that said just pop-off the lense, its easy--not the same as described here--and that reply was from a company selling the bulb(s).

I tried to order the interior blubs but www.superbrightleds.com does not list any 6-LED in the WLED-B6 or any color. Have they been discoutinued?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Acurazine Addict

Originally Posted by PTN
the 921 style W9 is the wrong bulb. you need the 194 style for the doors. i haven't seen a 194 style bulb in 9LED on that site.
You sure about this? In the description provided, it states that 921 style W9 replaces 194/168 wedge base bulbs. Can anyone confirm first-hand if this bulb will work or not? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:03 PM
PTN
Instructor

Originally Posted by da_illist_onE
You sure about this? In the description provided, it states that 921 style W9 replaces 194/168 wedge base bulbs. Can anyone confirm first-hand if this bulb will work or not? Thanks in advance.
i haven't actually seen the bulb that you are referring to but as far as bulb style numbers go... a 921 style bulb is what's used in the TL's reverse lights. it is a bigger bulb with a round base that has tabs on the end to allow it to seat into the socket when twisted in. it is not a wedge style bulb like the 194 is.

maybe what they are talking about is something completely different, i don't know, but i am sure of the above bulb style descriptions.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
for the billionth time, get 9 leds. 6 doesnt cut it. somebody said soemthing about license plate bulbs. yes you can change em, yes they fit, but its a little tricky to do them. and make sure you get the birghtest you can. i had 2 single led's left over and i put them in there, not bright enough
Old 01-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

What happened to Supercomputers and the Door Sills?

Quick Reply: LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!