Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

wil let u know how the whites look..i got blue in the doors and i got the 6 led for the domes...looking to keep the car classy...if i blue everything out i might as well get acura across the front windshield..my 2 cents

I am 44 and I am not into the ricey look, I think all lights in blue is very classy and sets off the ebony interior / anthracite exterior. It is different yes, but
no too far to the lesft IMO.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zexi
wil let u know how the whites look..i got blue in the doors and i got the 6 led for the domes...looking to keep the car classy...if i blue everything out i might as well get acura across the front windshield..my 2 cents

I am 44 and I am not into the ricey look, I think all lights in blue is very classy and sets off the ebony interior / anthracite exterior. It is different yes, but
no too far to the lesft IMO.
i have the same colors as u...i was undecided on the white or the blue..i was thinking that all blue inside would be like over kill...but i cant really tell unless i saw with my own eyes...
they say the white has a hue of blue in it so maybe the blue in the doors goes with the dash and the white domes will go with numbers on the dash...contrast,,,,but hey take some pics if u can.,..i might be all wrong and luv all blue....i am 25
Old 04-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Cruisin'

I went ahead and put blue everywhere and it looks great. Not too over the top, but different enough to make the car stand out. What a great mod for less than $20.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Team SSM

My LEDs just came in, but got the Wled 4 instead of 6...AH....

anyways the front dome ones are a pain the ass, I've worked on them for 10 mins and I still havent been able to get them out, hard to get a good grip on the bulbs. After the 10 mins, I decided i'll try the rear dome, I took off the plastic cover, DAMM, it looks even harder then the front dome.

ah tips would help

:banghead:
Old 04-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Instructor

the back is def easier than the front ...i used both of my index fingers at the same time and wiggled and used the forearm strength..i got the 6 led white for the domes...looks hot...and i got the 6 led blue for the door and the trunk
Old 04-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do I pop the covers on the rear dome lights?

BTW, I got the WLED-B6s in today to replace the T13s. It looks better in my opinion (better light spread and less of a blue "hot-spot"). Not necessarilly enough to force me to switch ... but the WLED bulb fits in a lot better with solid electrical contact!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i didnt have any problems fitting the T13's in...they fit perfectly, snug and with perfect connections. I order 6 of the 6 led and 6 of the 4 LED. I like the 6 LEDs on the door and rear dome, but I think it is a bit bright for the front dome. I am going to change those out for the 4 led when i get time.

BTW, it came very much in handy that I work for an electrical manufacturing corporation. we have a huge manufacturing facility, and tools are abundant. Not to mention some of our equipment takes small bayonet based incandescent bulbs. They come with little rubber tools to help grip the bulbs. I used the little rubber tool, and BAM..had each dome bulb out in less than 30 seconds.

just have patience. try using something with some grip...i heard some of the guys were wrapping electrical tape around a pair of channels locks, sounds like a good idea, just dont squeeze too hard and bust the bulb. the bulbs are fairly rugged, they shouldnt break that easily. good luck and just remember to be patient. and BTW< your fingers will prolly hurt like a MUTHA F*@#*R when u r done. LOL
Old 04-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the T13's. Doors are blue and the domes are white and the license plate are white as well. The whites have a bit of a blueish hue. A lot better the the yellow hue of the orig bulb. I wore latex gloves to get a better grip. My thumb and finger still hurts from trying to remove the bulbs! I did rack the bulb side to side to help remove the bulb.

Removal of the license plat bulb is from the inside of thr trunck lid. You have to remove the lid over (at least partially to gain access to the bulb holder). The license bulb holder is a bit of a challenge to remove. The housing is clipped to the lens. You have to giggle it a bit then pull off. The bulbs are easy to remove on the license plate.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

I am going to try using shrink tubing tomorrow to remove the rear dome lights. Shrink tubing shrinks to less than half it's size when heated with a heat gun / match / some hair dryers. Used for forming insulators around electical soldered joints, available at Radio Shack.

I'll tell you the results tomorrow.

Man, these rear domes are worse than the fronts!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
How do I pop the covers on the rear dome lights?

BTW, I got the WLED-B6s in today to replace the T13s. It looks better in my opinion (better light spread and less of a blue "hot-spot"). Not necessarilly enough to force me to switch ... but the WLED bulb fits in a lot better with solid electrical contact!

back domes...there is only one clip u have to remove,...on the opposite side of where u push in...that is where the clip is..use a slim butter knife and push in that side and then get the clip out....

gently but forceful..they are easier than the front lights....

then when putting them back u put clip in first then u push the other side in
Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Thanks, tonyg24 - I did get the covers off. Now, I'm tring to get the darned lamps out!
Old 04-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Team SSM

Angry

Total time put into the right front Dome light 30 minutes

No success

dam small tight bulbs. Does it feel like its coming out when you pull? or does it just come out all of a sudden. :banghead:
Old 04-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Try putting on latex gloves. You have to rack the bulb back and forth while trying to pull it out as hard as you can. I was very tempted to use a long nose pliers but I eventually got it out.

Tajam - it kinda pops out once you get it out "unlocked" from its holder.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Instructor

BTW, day two, my thumb and index finger are still sore.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Search other post. Someone used shrinktube
Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

Compared to the stock dome lights, how bright are the WLED-B6 bulbs? I am tring to decide if I should get the 4 or the 6 for the dome lights.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Instructor

If u are looking for the same density as the factory lights i would say go with the 4...the white light is a crisp bright white light rather than the factory dull yellow tint light..i have the 6 led and i dont think it is too bright though...u can never have too much light....i dont feel like they are spotlights...i say the brighter the better...show off that interior
Old 04-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the relpy, but I am interested in the brigthtness of the blue leds in the dome lights.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Instructor

then my 2 cents on that is...whatever led u have in the door .. use on the dome...if u are deciding on blue i would prob more lean towards the 6 since blue is a darker color...i have the 6led blue in the door and trunk...i thought about getting the blue in the dome but thought it might be more overkill and say smurf power when i opened up my door...like when u go to club and get valet parking or at wedding...there u are at a classy spot then u open up your car door and blue disco lights come shiningout...who knows though...many people have the blue and say it looks hot...i would honestly have to see it in person..my friend has the tsx and i wasnt too into it..i think it might look better on the TL though because there is more blue inside...but look at the dash...if the lines and the numbers were both different shades of blue would it look as nice as it does now with a mixture of blue and white?..thats why i balanced the lighting half and half...blue doors white dome....i am blabbing on here...not busy at work yet...lol
Old 04-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Cruisin'

Looks like I'll go with the six then.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

For those that didn't see my other posting, here's the "secret" to extracting the dome lamps quickly, easily, and safely:

Read the secret here!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 AM
8th Gear

Thumbs up Back dome lights

To all,

thanks for the input and the website for www.superbrightleds.com. I've purchased the:

Product: T13-B6 Blue LED bulb $ 2.99 (each) (doors) (4 each)
Product: WLED-W4 White LED bulb $ 2.59 (each) (front dome) ( 2 each)

And trust me, these lights do make a big difference!!! Makes the '04 TL look cooler and sleeker. Installation is fairly simple. You check need a very sharp knief with a very thin edge so you can open the dome lights fairly simple. I've tried a butter knief but it's too thick and also damaged the dome light covers. The hardest part if removing the blubs in the dome. They are a PAIN!!! It took me the proper angle and a lot of "wiggle" to remove them. Finally after a good 5 mins. It was done and they look great and reading is not a problem. Overall, it took me around 10-15 mins tops to complete the whole thing. My suggestion, get these lights ... it's worth it.

Question: Are the lights for the front dome same as the back??? I need to replace the back dome lights since it's looks chessey. Esp. everytime you enter and exit the car.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Instructor

ya the back and the front and the one in the trunk and doors are all the same either the t13 or the WLED fit...wled are a tad shorter than the t13
Old 04-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Originally Posted by tonyg24
ya the back and the front and the one in the trunk and doors are all the same either the t13 or the WLED fit...wled are a tad shorter than the t13
What fits in the license plate light???
Old 04-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Swat Dude
i am pretty sure that the license plates are also the same size..the only one that is different sizes i think is the glove box and the other compartment in the middle
Old 04-08-2004, 12:28 PM
10th Gear

Hey guys, I know this is an '04 thread.....but does anyone know if the LED bulbs mentioned - T13s, and the WLEDs will work in the same areas on an '03 TL (Door lights, front and rear map lights) ??

I'm ready to order WLED-6 (white) for the interior (as I don't have the cool blue '04 mood and gauge lights :p).....and the T13-UV6 (Blacklight) for the doors....just wanna make sure this will fit

thx
Old 04-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by Swat Dude
SEARCH RESULTS=License plate lights

I was looking at the license plate lamps and the T13's fit.

Looks sweet.. Just make sure to use T13-W6..
Old 04-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Instructor

i thought about lighting up plates but who wants to put more lighting on the license plate...u dont want people to be able to read the numbers...lol..brighter plates takes away from the cars attention...maybe i would try the white ones but i hear its a bitch to remove the covers to get lights in
Old 04-08-2004, 01:26 PM
10th Gear

2003 ??

anything at all??? i got no luck searching second-gen TL.....
Old 04-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Wink

I think I have also decided to go with the blue lights in the front, back and the doors. Can someone please list the exact bulbs and the price and how many i need in total. Also the best fit, since there was a thread started recently that said something about better fitting bulbs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by narmeen
I think I have also decided to go with the blue lights in the front, back and the doors. Can someone please list the exact bulbs and the price and how many i need in total. Also the best fit, since there was a thread started recently that said something about better fitting bulbs.

Thanks in advance!

well this is what was said..get the WLED all around..they fit better on the doors..they dont come as far as the t13..close to lens......so all u have to decide is if u want the 4 leds or 6 leds...so WLED 4B..or 6B....i got 6 all around...blue on the doors and the white on the domes...hot white though..not a boring regualr white...2004 tl....one in each front door...2 for front and 2 for rear dome lights..total of 6,,and one for the trunk if u wanted to go that far...i also hear that the license plate takes the same bolb..the t13 or the wled both fit....t13 is just a tad longer of a bulb...
Old 04-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Originally Posted by tonyg24
i thought about lighting up plates but who wants to put more lighting on the license plate...u dont want people to be able to read the numbers...lol..brighter plates takes away from the cars attention...maybe i would try the white ones but i hear its a bitch to remove the covers to get lights in
I don't want more light, I just want to get rid of the warm light and replace it with the cool white which is more on par with what Xenon's put out. So is it WLED-W4's for the license plate????
Old 04-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Racer

i got all my lights out pretty easily w/ my handy dandy plyers and some duct tape. I would cover the original bulb w/ enough duct tape to cushion the plier's grip, and then grasp it w/ MODERATE force and wiggle and pull. REALLY EASY. No cracks or nothin. Toughest thing is getting duct tape off the original bulbs.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

where on the website are the WLED-B6 Blue LED bulb, all that i see are the B4's?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:23 PM
TLover

you have to select blue from the drop down menu near the WLED R6. i was just wondering how to get white ones. it says pick white red or blue, but i cant find the white option in the menu.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Pics of dome and door lights

In case anyone still wants to see pics of the LED's for domes and doors (shows difference in light color between white LED's and stock dome bulbs.)

http://homepage.mac.com/maecrispy/PhotoAlbum7.html
Old 04-10-2004, 06:00 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by tlxlr8s
you have to select blue from the drop down menu near the WLED R6. i was just wondering how to get white ones. it says pick white red or blue, but i cant find the white option in the menu.
Ditto! How do you get WLED-6W? ANy help?
Old 04-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlxlr8s
Hmm.. just checked the site. Defintely no white in the menu. Out of stock perhaps?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:19 PM
never stops!

Nope! I checked the out of stock list they have. No WLED-6W in the list. So they are available. One of the worst user friendly sites I've ever seen.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:54 PM
TLover

Originally Posted by maecrispy
Hmm.. just checked the site. Defintely no white in the menu. Out of stock perhaps?
i know. there is just red or blue in the drop down menu.

maybe someone can call them.

Quick Reply: LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!