3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOW WOULD YOU RATE THE PURCHASE OF YOUR TL?
Its a lemon!
5.08%
Cars is Ok and thinking of trading in for another soon!
4.66%
It is a great car but I expected more for what I paid!
11.44%
Met my expectation and is one happy consumer!
78.81%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

How Would You Rate The Purchase Of Your Tl So Far?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:30 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
How Would You Rate The Purchase Of Your Tl So Far?

Old 06-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
I said it met my expection, but you really need another category for exceeded my expectation. This car is awesome!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by narnia
I said it met my expection, but you really need another category for exceeded my expectation. This car is awesome!
Ditto.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
werd
Old 06-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If money was no object, I would probably have a new car every few months. I already want many new cars as they come out, from the WRX STi, to the new GTO, new Mustang, Toyota Highlander hybrid, etc.

However, the TL is everything I hoped it would be, and I think that FOR THE MONEY it is the best car on the road. The only disappaointment is the lack of a bluetooth phone for Verizon customers (obviuosly not Acura's fault). I hope to keep the car for at least four or five years.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:14 PM
100k miles club

it met and exceeded my expectations. only thing that would make it flawless is if it came with 10 year/ 100K warranty since i drive a lot and will blow by 40K in 16 months. oh well i'll probably buy it before the other runs out just as a precaution
Old 06-15-2004, 03:17 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Great idea for a poll. Hopefully it will help out with all the "OMG I SEE COMPLAINTS THIS CAR MUST SUCK!" threads.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, need a new poll with better choices. Great idea though.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Advanced

I would like to see the dealers come off the MSRP more. I got $1500 off but that seems to be an exception. I would like to pay closer to invoice.

Other than that, I'm very happy. The car performs better than I expected.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

more then meets expectations. Build quaulity makes this car an exceptional value. FWD only drawback but understandable @ this price point
Old 06-15-2004, 03:25 PM

This should have been a PUBLIC POLL. I'd bet that the G35 trolls voted for lemon.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia
Old 06-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Life is good.

Car is cool. Not complaining but, tranny replacement at 9000 miles and 3 new headliners is not too cool.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

way more than I expected, especially for the money.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Team Camel Chief Justice

im very happy, id be ecstatic if they fix all the problems we have....
Old 06-17-2004, 01:19 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by 2004MT6TL
Car is cool. Not complaining but, tranny replacement at 9000 miles and 3 new headliners is not too cool.

Tranny problem so fast? Knock on wood since I have a 5AT. My buddy has the 2nd Gen and he has his replaced after 1yr. I thought Honda should of fixed up this problem by now!!
Old 06-17-2004, 06:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a G35 Troll and I voted for Lemon. This car has been the biggest Piece of Sheet Lemon I've ever owned or known anyone owning.

Honda has built their laurels, rested on them, and has now trampled on them so badly they are not even comfortable to sit on anymore. They expect their loyalty to be by name now, not continued quality and customer service.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:50 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by Sherlock
I'm not a G35 Troll and I voted for Lemon. This car has been the biggest Piece of Sheet Lemon I've ever owned or known anyone owning.

Honda has built their laurels, rested on them, and has now trampled on them so badly they are not even comfortable to sit on anymore. They expect their loyalty to be by name now, not continued quality and customer service.
Everyone is entitled to their valid comments but for the ppl who voted this great car a lemon needs to tell us why they voted Lemon. We need to know why for the three others that also voted "LEMON". So we TLr's can take precaution of what some problems might come ahead. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience w/the car but we need some answers!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ed99
Everyone is entitled to their valid comments but for the ppl who voted this great car a lemon needs to tell us why they voted Lemon. We need to know why for the three others that also voted "LEMON". So we TLr's can take precaution of what some problems might come ahead. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience w/the car but we need some answers!!!

There are answers on numerous threads. Most of the complaints appear to be quality/design issues as opposed to major mechanical problems. I don't think people would be as disappointed if the car didn't cost north of $30K.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll list them, I don't mind discussing the faults of my baby:

Drove off the lot, the MIL came on, first dealer reset it and did nothing, 2nd time, dealer reset it and did nothing. 3rd trip (lemon law threat), they replaced the coil packs, the spark plugs, and I think injectors, still did not fix. They replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and it fixed it. The sensor was misreading and not telling the cylinders to fire.

Seat memory issue (nearly everyone had it)

Back dash rattle (still no "formal" fix from Acura)

Tire vibration induced in car after my A1 service. Car was relatively fine up till then. Dealer damaged my wheels when they rotated them. I griped and they replaced two of them and ever since the car has vibrated. Took it in for a balance, it got worse, had to drive from ATlanta to Orlando vibrating like a John Holmes play toy. Got it balanced in orlando, exactly no change, vibrated all the way back. First dealer then replaced 3 wheels and a brand new set of Turanza EL42's (I originally had Potenza EL42s). Still vibrates.

Last Saturday, the MIL came on again and stayed on, even after a reset at the shop, it's still in the shop for that one. O2 sensor error/failure

stitching over passenger where headliner goes into the rubber edging, if you put your elbow on the door frame and point straight up, it was there, was coming out, tucked back in twice, still came out, last time they did something and it appears to be staying. But you can feel like they bent or did something to the underlying cardboard panel to wedge it in there, and it still shows a little bubbleing out.

Rotors turned already, typical Honda problem, had it done early on every Honda/Acura I've owned so far.

Windshield sprayers adjusted, shooting over car, even at speed. Then they aimed them so low they just sprayed into the wiper arm and bounced off the windshield. They are relatively good now, so that's ok.

Now that I've had two loaners, mine idles rough in comparison, and starts rougher than these two newer ones. I would hazard a guess that my engine and ECU are just fubar'd. My mileage has also gone down over time.

Emergency brake went all the way to top stop since I got it. That was adjusted successfully and satisfactorily. My 00TL had the same issue.

Really old date on the Navi DVD, every other one I've seen was from October 7th or later . Mine is a June 03 release.

Top Right of touch screen is very unresponsive, where the up/down scroll button images appear for going thru lists, 9 times out of 10 they won't work, end up using the joystick.

I think that's enough to qualify my statement, ya think

Have a good Day.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:58 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

I'll list them, I don't mind discussing the faults of my baby:

Drove off the lot, the MIL came on, first dealer reset it and did nothing, 2nd time, dealer reset it and did nothing. 3rd trip (lemon law threat), they replaced the coil packs, the spark plugs, and I think injectors, still did not fix. They replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and it fixed it. The sensor was misreading and not telling the cylinders to fire.

Seat memory issue (nearly everyone had it)

Back dash rattle (still no "formal" fix from Acura)

Tire vibration induced in car after my A1 service. Car was relatively fine up till then. Dealer damaged my wheels when they rotated them. I griped and they replaced two of them and ever since the car has vibrated. Took it in for a balance, it got worse, had to drive from ATlanta to Orlando vibrating like a John Holmes play toy. Got it balanced in orlando, exactly no change, vibrated all the way back. First dealer then replaced 3 wheels and a brand new set of Turanza EL42's (I originally had Potenza EL42s). Still vibrates.

Last Saturday, the MIL came on again and stayed on, even after a reset at the shop, it's still in the shop for that one. O2 sensor error/failure

stitching over passenger where headliner goes into the rubber edging, if you put your elbow on the door frame and point straight up, it was there, was coming out, tucked back in twice, still came out, last time they did something and it appears to be staying. But you can feel like they bent or did something to the underlying cardboard panel to wedge it in there, and it still shows a little bubbleing out.

Rotors turned already, typical Honda problem, had it done early on every Honda/Acura I've owned so far.

Windshield sprayers adjusted, shooting over car, even at speed. Then they aimed them so low they just sprayed into the wiper arm and bounced off the windshield. They are relatively good now, so that's ok.

Now that I've had two loaners, mine idles rough in comparison, and starts rougher than these two newer ones. I would hazard a guess that my engine and ECU are just fubar'd. My mileage has also gone down over time.

Emergency brake went all the way to top stop since I got it. That was adjusted successfully and satisfactorily. My 00TL had the same issue.

Really old date on the Navi DVD, every other one I've seen was from October 7th or later . Mine is a June 03 release.

Top Right of touch screen is very unresponsive, where the up/down scroll button images appear for going thru lists, 9 times out of 10 they won't work, end up using the joystick.

I think that's enough to qualify my statement, ya think

Have a good Day.

Dammmm.....that is alot of shit you had to go thru for a brand new car. Excuse my language but I will feel just as piss as you if I had to go thru all that crap. Acura should just give you another new TL to replace the Lemon. Must be 1 out of say 1000 that will have defaults maybe. Hope everything works out dude!!!!
Old 06-19-2004, 04:33 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Love the car. No rattles, no vibrations (except if I'm in 6th gear at too low an RPM), no drooping headliner.
Had seat memory module replaced.
Gave the Bullshitstones the 'Heave-Ho', best move so far.

The only things that I really don't like are:
a) lack of turn signals on either the side mirrors or fender markers, and
b) the gas mileage.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:27 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by DMZ
Love the car. No rattles, no vibrations (except if I'm in 6th gear at too low an RPM), no drooping headliner.
Had seat memory module replaced.
Gave the Bullshitstones the 'Heave-Ho', best move so far.

The only things that I really don't like are:
a) lack of turn signals on either the side mirrors or fender markers, and
b) the gas mileage.

The only thing I was dispointed with the TL is "No Chrome Door handles (Like the TSX) and the turning lights for the front R/L mirrors" Other than that I am pretty happy with the car so far!!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:15 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by ed99

The only thing I was dispointed with the TL is "No Chrome Door handles (Like the TSX) and the turning lights for the front R/L mirrors" Other than that I am pretty happy with the car so far!!

I wonder for the other 6ppl that voted the TL a"LEMON" was resulted from Tranny problems. I say this b/c it seems to be a topic right now!!! Hope not tho!!!

Here is the Thread if you guys are interested:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84736
Old 06-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Believe or not, they may refer to Rattle instead of Tranny issues.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

I like the body colored door handles over chrome, talk about #1 spot for fingerprints and grime, I like the fact that they hide. I'm ECSTATIC that they finally went back to the Legend-style door handles with the full grip, I hated the tilt up handles of my Accord and the 2nd Gen TL. My fingertips slide/pop off those damnedable handles all the time and boy that smarts when ya do it. I LOVE the new handles, body color and all. They blend into the body strip so friggin cool.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:50 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

I like the body colored door handles over chrome, talk about #1 spot for fingerprints and grime, I like the fact that they hide. I'm ECSTATIC that they finally went back to the Legend-style door handles with the full grip, I hated the tilt up handles of my Accord and the 2nd Gen TL. My fingertips slide/pop off those damnedable handles all the time and boy that smarts when ya do it. I LOVE the new handles, body color and all. They blend into the body strip so friggin cool.

Although I also notice our 3rd gen does not have the chrome window strips surrounding the front and rear door windows. The TSX has it so did the 2nd Gen TL. I think the car would of stand out a bit more with it!!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:02 AM
Advanced

So far so good,But I must say if I had read this web site I would not have bought the TL for sure.And Sherlock I had a chevy truck that had way more problems,and chevy did nothing,That's why I will NEVER buy a GM anything,and yet I know lots and lots of people who buy chevy trucks and have never even had their truck in the shop for anything other than an oil change,But with that said,I would like to thank you for taking one for the team..
Old 06-23-2004, 01:12 AM

Somebody tampered with the poll. I doubt that many people replied in 1 week.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Somebody tampered with the poll. I doubt that many people replied in 1 week.

Our Admin's reputation has been defiled by your malicious gossips. You've been continually underrating the total numbers of our register members. If I say the same thing to Dave in ClubL, I'll be cut.

:o
Old 06-30-2004, 02:04 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

:flamer:
Originally Posted by rets
Our Admin's reputation has been defiled by your malicious gossips. You've been continually underrating the total numbers of our register members. If I say the same thing to Dave in ClubL, I'll be cut.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Banned

I voted it as a lemon for various reasons:

three times in for check engine light (changed injectors, plugs, crank angle sensor, eprom reprogram, and mass air sensor)

tires could not be ballanced

Flat spotting tires (new and old)

Bad Vibration and droning sound at 1500rpms (at speeds of 30-35 and 45-60) - Acura says there is no fix, and that this is NORMAL. People can not believe this is normal.

Leather that looks like it is 5 years old and is "Normal" - others tell me it looks 5years + old (due to side bolster condition)

Falling head liner (3 times)

Body panels not in allignment (hood, front fender, rear door, lower valance, rear trunk)

Hard starting (need to crank 2-3 times at leas 50% of the time) - friends ask what is wrong with this thing and is it going to start? - Acura can not fix

Rough idle

Rear deck vibration

front dash lower valance came off on its own

depresion formed in dash near center speaker

perf leather on pass door started to peel

memory seats (at least this was fixed)

rear brake lights went out

e-brake does not hold (adjusted 3 times)

tires in rear were bald at 7k miles (just in time for new formula tire installation)

can't get steering wheel centered

crap under paint and or clear coat

Hood has to be slamed to shut (dealer says this is normal, but other cars on lot do not have this issue)

pass mirror motor stopped working

HVAC has a mind of it's own and temps go to full max or full cold when starting

Lost all radio stations 3 times

other smaller issues
Old 06-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Banned

I agree it is a lemon and have some of the issues LED Master had (which is quite a list).
Old 07-01-2004, 01:05 AM
3rd Gear

Love my Manual TL 2004 (SSM), I just put in the Mobil Synthetic Oil and the gas milage improved about 3 to 5 miles pg!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tk68la
Love my Manual TL 2004 (SSM), I just put in the Mobil Synthetic Oil and the gas milage improved about 3 to 5 miles pg!
What weight Mobil ! did you use?

0W-20 or 10W-30?

Why?

XP
Old 07-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

wow.. I forgot some of the things I had that LED brought up.

The poor condition of the smooth (non-perf) leather on the sides of the seats does look 5 years old already.

Tires cannot be balanced, even replaced and still not balanced.

Numerous body panel alignment issues.

I now have the drivers window creak, the center speaker creak, the sunroof creak, and the glove box upper left corner creak.

And now the early vin 5AT tranny bullcrap.

Acura has till tomorrow noon to call me with their decision on my car or else I'm formally sending my papers in to the state of Georgia to file Lemon Law. I've been trying to be nice and let them swap it out before it officially goes on the record but I think they're dicking me around waiting to see if I'll let it slide.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:47 AM

I need my own option. I love the car, its more than I expected, but its a lemon. The check engine light keeps going on. Its going in for service for the third time for the MIL on thursday. One more time and I am legally allowed to file for the lemon law, because it depreciates the value of the car... who is going to buy a car that has the MIL on wit the owner and Acura not knowing how to fix it?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Lexus nagging problems

Originally Posted by rets

rets,

Did I tell you about all the complaining on the newsgroup alt.autos.lexus? Lexus owners are very upset about balking and lagging on acceleration with the throttle-by-wire system and also TRANSMISSION problems. Here is a sample message:

I don't think you get it.

Are you saying you'd trade quality for horsepower? Manufacturers just love
to read the stuff you write. They sit around the boardroom table and laugh
at people like you that lovingly accept the crap and mistreatment they dish
out.

It's not about horsepower and quality. It's about money and quality. I
wouldn't expect that hesitation problem in a $12k car. When someone pays
close to $40k for an ES, it should not have such a quality and safety issue.
Further, a company that claims it's "relentless pursuit of perfection", and
then refuses to admit there's any problem with the product, is clearly
thumbing it's nose at it's (previously) loyal customers.

As for Steve Lxxxxxx, he has paid his dues, and has every right to express
his views and opinions here. He owns a Lexus; it has a problem; and this is
a Lexus ng. I don't see a problem with that.

If Lexus policy is now "Let's make them faster, then maybe, they'll talk
about that and not the lack of quality and poor customer satisfaction", is
that acceptable?

Not to me.

Unless they correct my trans problems, they've lost me as a future customer.
I'm a repeat buyer now, but I see Lexus has lost interest in people like
me - people who merely want what they paid for

Mind you.... if anyone tried to post that on Club Lexus, there would be hell to pay and someone would get banished to Siberia.

I don't have any negative experiences myself with Lexus. I think they are fine cars. I have one on order. I quote this message to make the point that each make and model of car has its percentage of problems. They are not perfect.

So, Club Lexus visitors: Welcome. Now, get off your high horse and participate in a positive way.

XP
Old 07-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Advanced

Met my expectations, which were/are quite high. My sunshade rattles occasionally, and also occasionally the steering wheel seems off-center, though it's so slight I still can't be sure. - that's it! Mouse-squeak vanished when I conditioned leather seats. My only dissapointment is foregoing rear-drive, but I knew that going in. No complaints.