3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlamps are over-rated

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:07 AM
The stickiest of the icky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the bottom line is, 60% of the HIDs tested in your so called "accurate" and "scientific" test reached the 400 mark. only 25% of the halogens reached that same mark. I like my chances better with HIDs thank you. But ill definately keep in mind the next time i want to see 600 feet down the road to go get a protege5 because lowbeam distance is really all that matters in a car, right?

HD i was looking thru this thread- you posted just about every other post. and this thread has over 300 responses. you realllllllllllllllllllllllly need to meet a girl (or a guy, whatever your preference).
Old 03-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by go4heat
the bottom line is, 60% of the HIDs tested in your so called "accurate" and "scientific" test reached the 400 mark. only 25% of the halogens reached that same mark. I like my chances better with HIDs thank you. But ill definately keep in mind the next time i want to see 600 feet down the road to go get a protege5 because lowbeam distance is really all that matters in a car, right?

HD i was looking thru this thread- you posted just about every other post. and this thread has over 300 responses. you realllllllllllllllllllllllly need to meet a girl (or a guy, whatever your preference).
But HID is markedly INFERIOR in terms of color rendering and on hills...

And it's VASLTY more expensive.

HIDs "look cool." That's mostly what this is all about. My .357 magnum "looks cool," too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to fasten it to the grill of my car.

And why must the topic of sexuality arise on an auto related bulletin board?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by harddrivin1le

And it's VASLTY more expensive.

HIDs "look cool." That's mostly what this is all about. My .357 magnum "looks cool," too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to fasten it to the grill of my car.

And why must the topic of sexuality arise on an auto related bulletin board?
It's just bait. You know what that is right???

I no longer believe that you own or drive ANY car. Now that your history with the other forums has been revealed, it's quite obvious that you have no time for anything else. Indeed, I can't believe that you work, or date, or drive.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:25 PM

COLOR RENDERING????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????

I personally dont care if the deer in my headlights looks green or purple as long as i can see him coming out of the bushes on the side of the road. and i sure as hell hope that the exact hue of what you see in your headlights isnt your main concern, just for the sake of all of the other people who share the road with you and your POS camaro.

and as a side note i personally like the light of HIDs much better than normal headlamp light, be it optically precise or otherwise.

and hills?? well thats important. im sure thats important. "Honey I'm not going to get the TL, its headlights don't perform well in meaningless tests!!! Not to mention on hills!!!" please spare me. the next time you see an accident related to HID headlamps so-called "poor" performance on a hill ill fly over on my pig and buy a bridge in brooklyn from the easter bunny.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Uh oh, he's talking about his .357 magnum now, like he's some sort of tough guy for owning a gun. Run for cover.

"HIDs "look cool." That's mostly what this is all about."

Basically, he's saying that you guys are poseurs for driving a car with HID since all you care about is looking cool. He's saying that deep down in your minds, you know that HID's aren't really better and you only like them for the blue-white light factor.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Intermediate

The HID lights on my '04 TL are even brighter and whiter than the ones on my old '03 TL.
When you turn on the fog lights, you really see the sides of the road as well. This was really apparent to me when I was driving on the FDR (NYC) in the left lane and when I turned on the fog lights, they illuminated the far right side lane.
I think I will switch to the PIAA 9600 XLs though.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:35 AM
Racer

harddrivin1le should be banned.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by jrock65
Uh oh, he's talking about his .357 magnum now, like he's some sort of tough guy for owning a gun. Run for cover.

"HIDs "look cool." That's mostly what this is all about."

Basically, he's saying that you guys are poseurs for driving a car with HID since all you care about is looking cool. He's saying that deep down in your minds, you know that HID's aren't really better and you only like them for the blue-white light factor.
Ricers like lights...Many attach them in various places both inside and outside of their cars. :wow: So HIDs are a natural here.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by go4heat
COLOR RENDERING????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????

I personally dont care if the deer in my headlights looks green or purple as long as i can see him coming out of the bushes on the side of the road. and i sure as hell hope that the exact hue of what you see in your headlights isnt your main concern, just for the sake of all of the other people who share the road with you and your POS camaro.

and as a side note i personally like the light of HIDs much better than normal headlamp light, be it optically precise or otherwise.

and hills?? well thats important. im sure thats important. "Honey I'm not going to get the TL, its headlights don't perform well in meaningless tests!!! Not to mention on hills!!!" please spare me. the next time you see an accident related to HID headlamps so-called "poor" performance on a hill ill fly over on my pig and buy a bridge in brooklyn from the easter bunny.
The "POS" Camaro produced 300 plus drive wheel HP and was rated @ 19 city/28 highway back in the '99 model year.

Please name ONE Acura/Honda automobile that is able to match that on a HP/MPG basis.

Even the NSX can't touch that.

And that "POS" Camaro was damn close to this NSX around a road racing circuit, with Steve Millen @ the wheels. (That Camaro wasn't even fitted with the 1LE performance handling package.)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

And here's a 1LE Firebird and an NSX (among other cars) duking it out on a drag strip:

1LE:

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti.../index11.phtml

NSX:

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti.../index10.phtml

That "POS" Camaro cost me $21,300 brand new when the local Acura dealer was asking $85K for an NSX.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:49 AM

hahahah i write all that and the only thing you talk about is my reference to your camaro. when was it ever mentioned that "theres plenty of acuras and hondas that get a better hp/mpg ratio than hd's ****ty ass camaro"???? great you get decent mileage and have good hp. congratulations do you want a prize of some sort? all i know is while im lounging in my real leather seats watching my navigation system guide me whilie talking on my phone through the cars stereo system and getting looks from pedestrians glaring at my awesome paint job and my stylish curves, you can enjoy your pleather and vinyl and im sure all the girls will love you for it.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Instructor

LOOOOOOOSSSSSSSERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Now you run back to the Camaro forum like a good little boy.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I've talked to 5 guys who own various versions of his camaro, two of them have the same one he has. NONE of them get better than 17mpg, bragging about EPA numbers has nothing to do with real world numbers.

I digress, who frigging cares how his overweight Geo Storm/Metro stacks up against cars it doesn't compete against.
I don't know anybody who purchased an NSX who visited the Chevy showroom to look at camaros.

Compare that camaro to a Mustang, it's the direct competitor which is still being made and out sold every version of the "F" body pile of crap so bad that Chevy/Pontiac doesn't build them anymore.

Now go climb back into that Geo Storm and show off to the 2 girls young enough to be impressed. While you're at it, go away, why you're here is obvious, and it has nothing at all to do with owning or going to own an Acura.:thefinger

At first people gave you a chance, you have gone out of your way to be the biggest ahole this forum has probably ever seen.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Norse396
I've talked to 5 guys who own various versions of his camaro, two of them have the same one he has. NONE of them get better than 17mpg, bragging about EPA numbers has nothing to do with real world numbers.

I digress, who frigging cares how his overweight Geo Storm/Metro stacks up against cars it doesn't compete against.
I don't know anybody who purchased an NSX who visited the Chevy showroom to look at camaros.

Compare that camaro to a Mustang, it's the direct competitor which is still being made and out sold every version of the "F" body pile of crap so bad that Chevy/Pontiac doesn't build them anymore.

Now go climb back into that Geo Storm and show off to the 2 girls young enough to be impressed. While you're at it, go away, why you're here is obvious, and it has nothing at all to do with owning or going to own an Acura.:thefinger

At first people gave you a chance, you have gone out of your way to be the biggest ahole this forum has probably ever seen.
My Z gets BETTER "real world" mileage than my new Accord EX/V6.

EPA numbers have EVERYTHING to do with "real world" as long as "real world" doesn't equate to burning rubber and driving around in low gears, as many "performance drivers" do. Any car will get sh*t for mileage if driven in an idiotic, foot to the floor manner.

I've personally seen 30 MPG @ a steady state 72 MPH with my Z28.

And I average low to mid 20s in mixed driving when driving with economy in mind, but still managing to run ahead of the pack.

So don't tell me what they CAN get for mileage if dirven properly.

http://www.people.westminstercollege...6/Page%203.htm
Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Okidoki 1le, you betcha, that Geo is the best damn car on the planet, makes more power per liter/insert anything here than anything made. The Acura sucks in comparison to the mighty camaro/storm/metro and how dare us think other wise, you're all knowing wise and one of the few who bows to the now defunct camaro.

Why didn't Chevy back in the 60's think about the future, I mean if you knew back then that the LS1 was going to smoke everything ever made and get better MGP than anything ever made how come Chevy didn't? How come Acura didn't factor in the mighty/storm/metro/camaro when building the lowly crappy NSX?

You know what, I'm not going to buy the new Mustang next year, I need to find a geo/metro/camaro asap!
We bow to the mighty 1le....... NOT

:yack:
Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Norse396
Okidoki 1le, you betcha, that Geo is the best damn car on the planet, makes more power per liter/insert anything here than anything made. The Acura sucks in comparison to the mighty camaro/storm/metro and how dare us think other wise, you're all knowing wise and one of the few who bows to the now defunct camaro.

Why didn't Chevy back in the 60's think about the future, I mean if you knew back then that the LS1 was going to smoke everything ever made and get better MGP than anything ever made how come Chevy didn't? How come Acura didn't factor in the mighty/storm/metro/camaro when building the lowly crappy NSX?

You know what, I'm not going to buy the new Mustang next year, I need to find a geo/metro/camaro asap!
We bow to the mighty 1le....... NOT

:yack:
No Geo can match an LS1/6 speed in terms of PEAK HP per MPG.

No Acura or Honda can, either.

P.S. Most of this AHRA class champ's runs for 1970 in this LS6 454 ("450 HP") Chevelle were SLOWER than what you're claiming for the "375 HP" 396 version. LOL

http://www.chevelle454ls6.com/1970_d...ing_season.htm

Oh, and here's a "425 HP" 396 Corvette. Curb weight is nearly identical to today's C5 Corvettes. You'll argue, "But it had skinny tires," so I'll point out in advance the time it required to cover the 60 MPH to 100 MPH portion of the flat out acceleration run (7.0 seconds).

An LS1 'Vette (~ 290 RWHP) does that in ~ 6.2 seconds and the 2001 Z06 (385 HP (~ 340 RWHP), now 405 HP) did it in just 5.7 seconds

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=4

Old 03-07-2004, 11:00 AM
I'M Rich Beeyoch!

harddrivin1le,
And you are.....? Dude go vent your fustratations elswhere, you must have been picked on as a kid and now feel the need to prove everyone who even slightly opposses you wrong! We all have our likes and dislikes but do you feel the need to prove yourself...talk about low self esteem! If we wanted to drive a vette, we would. What makes you think that everyone is less than you or that you are better than anyone? IGNORANCE! Serriously dude back off, you take time away from acura enthusiasts by having people post and argue with you, I will not respond to any of your comments I just think you should surround yourself with people who agree with you...in short you are on the wrong site! Peace!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by ThaLegend
harddrivin1le,
And you are.....? Dude go vent your fustratations elswhere, you must have been picked on as a kid and now feel the need to prove everyone who even slightly opposses you wrong! We all have our likes and dislikes but do you feel the need to prove yourself...talk about low self esteem! If we wanted to drive a vette, we would. What makes you think that everyone is less than you or that you are better than anyone? IGNORANCE! Serriously dude back off, you take time away from acura enthusiasts by having people post and argue with you, I will not respond to any of your comments I just think you should surround yourself with people who agree with you...in short you are on the wrong site! Peace!
I go by verifiable, 3rd party sources that are backed by solid references. PERIOD.

"IGNORANCE" is claiming that stock 1969 L78 Chevelles produced 335 Rear Wheel HP.

The TL is a fine car...

I'll buy one if Acura ever smartens up by offering the A-Spec package as a REASONABLY PRICED, RPO/Factory option.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quit feeding the dumbass.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:14 AM
I'M Rich Beeyoch!

Hey skeed I was thinking about the same rims you have for my tl...you have any pics?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Lurker

Not yet, they're on backorder 'till later this month from Victoriatire.com . I had a test fit and they looked great but they didn't have 4 in stock and had to order them in from ADR.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Skeedatl
Quit feeding the dumbass.
If I'm a "dumbass" then you should be able to easily refute every claim I make with multiple, objective, 3rd party sources/links.

Why can't you?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I'M Rich Beeyoch!

Ok so post pics when you get'em I am curious to see what they would look like. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Ricers like lights...Many attach them in various places both inside and outside of their cars. :wow: So HIDs are a natural here.
So this must mean that white trash like old camaros...
Old 03-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I go by verifiable, 3rd party sources that are backed by solid references. PERIOD.

"IGNORANCE" is claiming that stock 1969 L78 Chevelles produced 335 Rear Wheel HP.

The TL is a fine car...

I'll buy one if Acura ever smartens up by offering the A-Spec package as a REASONABLY PRICED, RPO/Factory option.
is it really our fault that you're too cheap or poor to buy a-spec?
Old 03-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Lurker

Old 03-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by adam209
I don't think Acura's sweatin it.

If he wants it bad enough, he'll buck up and pay. If not, then one day he'll have to realize that endless whining is fruitless! It certainly hasn't engendered any sympathy for him on this forum.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Lurker

He would but Acura doesn't take food stamps.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by jrock65
So this must mean that white trash like old camaros...
No...

Some people bought 1LE Camaros because they wanted something that offered NSX-like performance (with better fuel economy, a back seat and a lot of cargo space) for 1/4 the money.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Lurker

Old 03-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Did YOU buy it?

A-spec is a rip-off because you're effectively paying for TWO sets of springs, TWO sets of shocks, TWO sets of wheels/tires and a steering wheel and "body cladding" that I'd have no use for. Plus you're paying some monkey to disassemble and reassemble a new car. Screw that.

A-spec kills the "value" of the TL and brings the MSRP to ~ $40K.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Lurker

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showth...postid=3427%5C
Old 03-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Instructor

No...

Some people bought 1LE Camaros because they wanted something that offered NSX-like performance (with better fuel economy, a back seat and a lot of cargo space) for 1/4 the money.
So says the white trash with the camaro.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did YOU buy it?

A-spec is a rip-off because you're effectively paying for TWO sets of springs, TWO sets of shocks, TWO sets of wheels/tires and a steering wheel and "body cladding" that I'd have no use for. Plus you're paying some monkey to disassemble and reassemble a new car. Screw that.

A-spec kills the "value" of the TL and brings the MSRP to ~ $40K.
actually, i did buy it. see, i'm not poor like you and i can actually afford to buy something that "should" be on the car. even if you just wanted the suspension, you'd realize that aftermarket parts would come out and are already out to drop the car. and low and behold, they only cost 600 bucks max with installation and a camber kit. hmmm
Old 03-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Lurker

We love the Slomero. 15MPG is great. Yee haw!

Old 03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

No Geo can match an LS1/6 speed in terms of PEAK HP per MPG
I guess you just ain't dat bright. When I said GEO, I meant the camaro looks like an overweight Geo Storm/Metro, not that the Geo has any kind of power or anything else except both are butt ugly and look very much alike. If I need to spell it out more for you just ask.

As for the rest of your tripe, give it a rest, those cars were built ages ago and weren't meant to compete with the cars from today.

I know this is hard for you to understand with such a one track little mind and all and that being banned from every forum hasn't taught you anything so it's doubtful that you'll learn when you get banned from this forum as well.

There is a guy on a political forum who is just like you so I'm guessing you two must be related since you're both incapable of learning.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Skeedatl,

Tomorrow I find out which tires I'm getting, hopefully it isn't new versions of the EL's.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Hey Norse,

Since I also have RR/P with EL42s that shake at 50 when cold...let us all know!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I could "Afford" a TL without even thinking about it.

And I would have BOUGHT one if Acura offered the A-Spec package as a FACTORY/RPO option for ~ $1,900.

They don't. And the thought of paying the dealership AN ADDITIONAL ~ $6K to install what SHOULD come form the factory was enough to change my mind.

HID lights are FAR more expensive to make (and to buy). They should be a lot better ACROSS THE BOARD for their price delta.

But they aren't.

If you can "afford a TL without even thinking about it", why didn't you get the A-Spec package? Lack of money? Apparently not. What is your real excuse?

You just didn't get one so you'd have something to do with all your extra freetime. Coming here and *****ing apparently is your pasttime.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

hoyahenry,

I'll update tomorrow night, the car is going to be getting all the rattles fixed (I hope) all day.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Ken1997TL
If you can "afford a TL without even thinking about it", why didn't you get the A-Spec package? Lack of money? Apparently not. What is your real excuse?
actually, i did buy it. see, i'm not poor like you and i can actually afford to buy something that "should" be on the car.
1) I don't believe you bought the A-spec, "Adam." Post the invoice for it.

2) There is a vast difference between "can afford" and "willing to pay for."

The most popular car among millionaires living in the United States is the Toyota Camry; more than half of all millionaires living in the US have NEVER paid more than $29K for a car.

If you bought the A-spec TL you're either a MULTI-millionaire or an idiot (but probably not both).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...602792-6799228

Quick Reply: HID headlamps are over-rated