HID headlamps are over-rated

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Skeedatl
One last post. Here ya go lamer.

CBR1000RR
I don't see an ACURA badge on that bike.

And we're discussing CARs.

Show me ONE Acura CAR that can best the combination of 19 city/28 highway and 300 RWHP.

The NSX costs FOUR TIMES what I paid for my "junk Camaro." It shouldn't even be CLOSE!

http://www.ericohlsen.com/FBODY/CamaroDyno.jpg

Man, that (older, 385 HP vs current 405 HP) Z06 sure did SPANK that NSX, didn't it? And the ol' Camaro was nipping @ the NSX's heals - WITHOUT the 1LE package!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, now it's cars. First it was YOUR 1LE. Then it became magazine LS1's. Then it was 2-seater Z06 vettes.

And you suddenly draw the line there?

You're too funny.

Fact is Honda SMOKES Chevy...PERIOD.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Drifting

Oh, now it's cars. First it was YOUR 1LE. Then it became magazine LS1's. Then it was 2-seater Z06 vettes.

And you suddenly draw the line there?

You're too funny.

Fact is Honda SMOKES Chevy...PERIOD.
This discussion has ALWAYS been about cars.

And after all the BS settles (and with Steve Millen doing the driving on a roadracing circuit), the (older, 385 HP vs. current 405) Z06 flat out SMOKED the NSX. And the "junk" Camaro was nipping @ the NSX's heals...solid axle and all and withOUT the benefit of RPO 1LE!

And both Chevies get BETTER MILEAGE than the NSX (per the EPA).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3

How many STONE STOCK Honda/Acura products can do this at ANY price, let alone for ~ $22K?

http://www.ericohlsen.com/FBODY/CamaroDyno.jpg

Honda builds a much higher quality product that GM. But that does NOT mean that Honda provides more performance/$$.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Sounds like he wants a race car, personally, if I wanted Koni's, I'd buy them and add later. I'll keep my DVD-Audio and just enjoy driving while he's racing some ricer in a clapped out old Toyota. Our cars are made to drive and enjoy, not race at every stoplight. I love my Acuras, that's why I'm on my 4th one, starting with a Legend, wow....what a nice car now that I think about it.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by JetJock
Sounds like he wants a race car, personally, if I wanted Koni's, I'd buy them and add later. I'll keep my DVD-Audio and just enjoy driving while he's racing some ricer in a clapped out old Toyota. Our cars are made to drive and enjoy, not race at every stoplight. I love my Acuras, that's why I'm on my 4th one, starting with a Legend, wow....what a nice car now that I think about it.
No...I wanted a TL with the A-spec package (minus the phony body add-ons).

Thing is, I have to pay the Acura dealership an ADDITIONAL ~ $6K in order to get that. And when I'm done I get to take all of the stock parts (that I just paid for when buying the car) home with me and store them in my garage or football them on e-bay.

So I instead decided to get an Accord EX/V6/sedan, order bigger rubber (225/55-16) for it, KEEP my 1LE Z28 and STILL come out ahead financially (vs. buying a new TL with dealer installed A-spec for ~ $39K).
Old 02-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I wonder if they make a find it a problem about the non-HID lights that are improperly adjusted and bright the crap out of you in like 50% of the cars and trucks sold out there..
Ed
Old 02-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL
I wonder if they make a find it a problem about the non-HID lights that are improperly adjusted and bright the crap out of you in like 50% of the cars and trucks sold out there..
Ed
The NHSTA is getting a lot of complaints regarding "glare" from HID lights....

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...d-analysis.htm
Old 02-27-2004, 02:13 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by harddrivin1le
The NHSTA is getting a lot of complaints regarding "glare" form HID lights....

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...d-analysis.htm
I'm guessing most of those complaints are coming from you and people like you (no lives, too much free time, jealousy issues, crappy discontinued domestic car owners)
Old 02-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
I'm guessing most of those complaints are coming from you and people like you (no lives, too much free time, jealousy issues, crappy discontinued domestic car owners)
:thefinger
Old 02-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

My 1LE Z28 can make the TL and the G35 look SICK.
Not to make this debate any hotter but if that Z28 is stock it ain't gonna make a TL sick, 5AT or 6MT.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
Old 02-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Norse396
Not to make this debate any hotter but if that Z28 is stock it ain't gonna make a TL sick, 5AT or 6MT.
Good point. Everyone knows that bone stock TLs run as hard as this bone stock LS1 Firebird (equipped with RPO 1LE):

Acceleration: 0-30 mph: 2.08 sec. 0-60 mph: 4.94 sec.
1/4 mile: 13.15 sec. @ 108.27 mph

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto.../index11.phtml
Old 02-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Racer

There's a big difference between "can't afford" and "not willing to pay for."

The TL would be a fabulous car if could be had with a FACTORY INSTALLED/RPO A-spec package (minus the useless add on body parts that come with it) @ a negotiated price of ~ $32,500.

I'm not going to drop ~ $33K on a car and then pay the same dealership another ~ $6K to install the parts that should have been installed by the factory to begin with.

All in all, it's a very nice car as it is - until one starts to drive it hard.

Personally, I'd glady sacrifice "bluetooth" and "5.1 DVD" for a set of factory installed Konis.

I simply get amazed by some of the blind statements people make about it without having the slightest bit of actual knowledge to back those statements.
All of your post is result of your remorse, you can't accept any facts and denial is your biggest enemy. Please stop trying to argue about stupid HID lights, why ??? because you don't have it?? I know PLENTY of ACCORD owners, and they drool everytime I put on my HID lights on. YOu might be one rare person that doesn't like HID, well then, keep that shiet to yourself.

since you have opinions, let me share mine

I think Accords are nice, but the sedan has the most ugliest rear out of all of generation of accords.....and you picked that gerneration. LMAO....( no wonder you hate the TL )

I think you believe you saved great amount of money, but now, you are stuck with a car that you wasn't planning to get, and now you are thinking......man i shoulda gotten the TL..... BOO HOO

I think you probably have no social life what so ever, IF you did, you wouldn't have gotten the Accord, nor would you make stirring rude comments to not just one, but many websites.

I think this dude needs some mental help.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by DARK6mt
All of your post is result of your remorse, you can't accept any facts and denial is your biggest enemy. Please stop trying to argue about stupid HID lights, why ??? because you don't have it?? I know PLENTY of ACCORD owners, and they drool everytime I put on my HID lights on. YOu might be one rare person that doesn't like HID, well then, keep that shiet to yourself.

since you have opinions, let me share mine

I think Accords are nice, but the sedan has the most ugliest rear out of all of generation of accords.....and you picked that gerneration. LMAO....( no wonder you hate the TL )

I think you believe you saved great amount of money, but now, you are stuck with a car that you wasn't planning to get, and now you are thinking......man i shoulda gotten the TL..... BOO HOO

I think you probably have no social life what so ever, IF you did, you wouldn't have gotten the Accord, nor would you make stirring rude comments to not just one, but many websites.

I think this dude needs some mental help.
But I own a 1LE equipped Z28, too...

Does that count?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Pick up the latest issue of HOT ROD. An LS1 F-body in there is in the 10s and the ONLY internal engine mod was the cam. And no, there is no blower or no bottle.
So, an LS1 with just a cam change yields so much horsepower you drop almost 3 full seconds in qtr mile times, please post this article, I think someone is smoking bad hash because that is impossible and anybody who knows engines knows this.

The LS1 Camaro is a fine car, why sully it's rep by making outlandish impossible comments? I've spent 22 years in the racing scene and there is no such thing as a huge power gain from just a cam and no other internal mods to the heads or compression to get the benefit from the new cam.

I'll be picking up the new issue on the way home since their web site doesn't post it. This should be interesting indeed.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Drifting

So, an LS1 with just a cam change yields so much horsepower you drop almost 3 full seconds in qtr mile times, please post this article, I think someone is smoking bad hash because that is impossible and anybody who knows engines knows this.

The LS1 Camaro is a fine car, why sully it's rep by making outlandish impossible comments? I've spent 22 years in the racing scene and there is no such thing as a huge power gain from just a cam and no other internal mods to the heads or compression to get the benefit from the new cam.

I'll be picking up the new issue on the way home since their web site doesn't post it. This should be interesting indeed.
Apparently you didn't read what I wrote.

Why don't you buy the ^*(#&@^@ magazine (April 04 HOT ROD)?

The only INTERNAL engine mod was a cam. All other engine INTERNALS (heads, pistons, rods, crank, etc) were STOCK. There were many EXTERNAL bolt ons (headers, big slicks, 4.30/12 bolt, suspension mods, etc) but NO BLOWER, NO NOS, etc...
Old 02-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Racer

But I own a 1LE equipped Z28, too...

Does that count?
OH GEEZ......FORGOT ABOUT THAT......AIIGHT AIIGHT...... YOU DO HAVE ANOTHER CAR.......

YOU NEED TO GET THIS STRAIGHT DUDE. FORUM WASN'T FOR ARGUING AND SELF FULFILLING DEBATES. ITS FOR MUCH APPRECIATED INFORMATION TO BE PASSED AROUND.

IF THIS IS CORRECT, YOU ARE MESSING UP OUR SITE.

GO FIND ACCORD SITE, THERE YOU CAN MAKE MANY FRIENDS AND TALK SHIET ABOUT TL ALL DAY.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

DVD audio IS over-rated because they're aren't many audio DVDs out there
People who can afford the TL don't mind augmenting their collections, also some people actually have had DVD-A at home for a few years now so it's nice to have one in the car as well.

and many people aren't likely to spend big money to replace their CDs.
So said the VHS salesman to Blockbuster a few years ago. Wonder what he's selling now hmmmmm?

The fact that their aren't as many DVD-A's as Cd's doesn't mean it's over rated, it means the same thing as it did when DVD first came out, it was/is a superior technology that took awhile to stick.

I'd prefer a set of factory Konis over the DVD audio/Bluetooth duo.
Of course, since you have neither. If you feel the need to feel better about your purchase take a look at the new Accord (yours is 2004 right?) and be happy to be owning last years CL.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote.
Of course I read it, and because I know how an internal combustion engine works I know what you're saying is crap.

Why don't you buy the ^*(#&@^@ magazine (April 04 HOT ROD)?
Apparently you didn't read what I wrote, I said I'm buying it on the way home.

The only INTERNAL engine mod was a cam. All other engine INTERNALS (heads, pistons, rods, crank, etc) were STOCK. There were many EXTERNAL bolt ons (headers, big slicks, 4.30/12 bolt, suspension mods, etc) but NO BLOWER, NO NOS, etc...
Right, and this took 3 seconds off of the stock time, you betcha. I have a feeling the article will explain much better than you are thus far. Somehow I get the feeling you didn't understand the article, how I would get this impression is probably obvious to everybody reading this thread.

In the end the point is moot and detracts from what this thread is about. I think most people would agree that the HID's on the TL perform to their liking and don't need consumer reports to tell them so.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

RIGHT ON NORSE!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Drifting

People who can afford the TL don't mind augmenting their collections, also some people actually have had DVD-A at home for a few years now so it's nice to have one in the car as well.

So said the VHS salesman to Blockbuster a few years ago. Wonder what he's selling now hmmmmm?

The fact that their aren't as many DVD-A's as Cd's doesn't mean it's over rated, it means the same thing as it did when DVD first came out, it was/is a superior technology that took awhile to stick.

Of course, since you have neither. If you feel the need to feel better about your purchase take a look at the new Accord (yours is 2004 right?) and be happy to be owning last years CL.
You can't "augment" with something that barely even exists...

How many DVD audio titles are out at this time?

Remember DAT (Digital Audio Tape) and mini-discs? They were going to be the next big things in audio. Where are they now?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Racer

here's a thought.

if the accord had all those gadgets, i.e. bluetooth, dvd-a, i guess i can include HID, etc etc......etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc ( so many things in a TL and not it Accord...lol )

harddrivn will argue that all those things are far better than anything out there.

harddriven you argue very well, but is this what you wanted? to argue about pointless things? because these debates are so worthless and boring

why don't you stop comparing and putting down other cars and make a worthy topic and give us information that is valuable?

i will give you one.

" I like my accord " and then tell us in brief detail about your reaction to accord and how its driving.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Of course I read it, and because I know how an internal combustion engine works I know what you're saying is crap.

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote, I said I'm buying it on the way home.

Right, and this took 3 seconds off of the stock time, you betcha. I have a feeling the article will explain much better than you are thus far. Somehow I get the feeling you didn't understand the article, how I would get this impression is probably obvious to everybody reading this thread.

In the end the point is moot and detracts from what this thread is about. I think most people would agree that the HID's on the TL perform to their liking and don't need consumer reports to tell them so.
Sounds like you don't understand the difference beteen INTERNAL and EXTERNAL engine mods.

The only INTERNAL mod was the cam, just like I said.

Here's one from 2 years ago. INTERNAL mods consists SOLELY of a cam a pair of worked LS6 heads. The entire bottom end is bone stock:

Old 02-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Lurker

You being stupid enough to buy a Slomaro is an internal mod.

Your mullet is an external mod.

Meanwhile my car smokes yours and cost 1/2 the price. Nanner nanner.

But then again...I'm a bit jealous. While my TL came with DVD-A, a great rattle free interior, 270HP, room for 5 and of course CLASS...I didn't get the Slomero special of 3 years of free mullet cuts.

Guaranteed babe magnet for sure!

Old 02-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Old 02-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Lurker

Slomero Mullet Power!

Old 02-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Drifting

But then again...I'm a bit jealous. While my TL came with DVD-A, a great rattle free interior, 270HP, room for 5 and of course CLASS...I didn't get the Slomero special of 3 years of free mullet cuts.

Guaranteed babe magnet for sure!

That's a GEN III car.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Lurker

Daddy? When I grow up I wanna P.O.S. rattlebox Slomero too!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Lurker

Gen III car? You mean IQ of 3 car.

But then every Camaro is an IQ of 3 car.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

You can't "augment" with something that barely even exists...
You can't? I guess I have 90 barely existing titles then...

How many DVD audio titles are out at this time?
Enough to augment my collection.
Check out http://www.dtsonline.com/ and http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...h&field=format they have 211 titles in their online store, plenty for anybody to augment their collections.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Gen III car? You mean IQ of 3 car.

But then every Camaro is an IQ or 3 car.
Really?

It gets 19 city/28 highway per the EPA and produces 300 RWP bone stock.

Please name ANY Acura that produces an MPG/drive wheel HP than can even come CLOSE to that.

And while we're at it:

This HEAVIER Camaro SS (without the 1LE handling package) was damn near as fast as the NSX, which was flat out SMOKED by the Z06 (older, 385 HP version). Steve Millen did all the driving (around a roadcourse, the kind with CORNERS):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article...5&page_number=3

The NSX costs ~ 4X as much as my 1LE and it's COMPARABLE on a road course.

3/4 = 0.75

So the NSX must an "an I.Q. of 0.75 car" LOL
Old 02-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Drifting

You can't? I guess I have 90 barely existing titles then...

Enough to augment my collection.
Check out http://www.dtsonline.com/ and http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...h&field=format they have 211 titles in their online store, plenty for anybody to augment their collections.
211 titles?

Compared to how TENS OF THOUSANDS of CD titles?

What happened to DAT and Mini CD? Remember the week those were the "next big things" in audio?
Old 02-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you don't understand the difference beteen INTERNAL and EXTERNAL engine mods.
Of course I do, I have yet to see you post something with just external mod's other than the cam, two years ago isn't what you posted about.

The article you posted now specifies cam and head package, this doesn't mean the engine wasn't blue printed or other wise worked on. I can gaurantee you that the Intake has been worked on, new fuel injectors installed and the computer remapped. The term "stock" can mean many things, the article you posted hardly qualifies for your argument. Also, you didn't post the entire article.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Lurker

Really?

It gets 19 city/28 highway per the EPA and produces 300 RWP bone stock.

Please name ANY Acura that produces an MPG/drive wheel HP than can even come CLOSE to that.

And while we're at it:

This HEAVIER Camaro SS (without the 1LE handling package) was damn near as fast as the NSX, which was flat out SMOKED by the Z06 (older, 385 HP version). Steve Millen did all the driving (around a roadcourse, the kind with CORNERS):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article...5&page_number=3

Clue for ya mullet head. Damn near as fast means slower.

As for your previous question. 2005 RL. 300HP, 40MPH
Old 02-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Of course I do, I have yet to see you post something with just external mod's other than the cam, two years ago isn't what you posted about.

The article you posted now specifies cam and head package, this doesn't mean the engine wasn't blue printed or other wise worked on. I can gaurantee you that the Intake has been worked on, new fuel injectors installed and the computer remapped. The term "stock" can mean many things, the article you posted hardly qualifies for your argument. Also, you didn't post the entire article.
GO TO THE STORE AND BUY AN APRIL 2004 ISSUE OF HOT ROD.

THAT SHOULD CLEAR THINGS UP FOR YOU JUST FINE.

The "cam only" LS1 car (one of 5 featured LS1s) ran upper tens with 409 rear wheel HP. That's ~ 40 less HP than the head/cam combo I showed you.

Here:

www.cartek.net

They've had the same customer cars on there for the past 2 years; I'm sure some have gotten better results since.

Most of the quoted results were done with FULL EXHAUST (including cats) in place.

CARTEK is the source of the car that was tested in that article I posted.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:51 PM
Drifting

Clue for ya mullet head. Damn near as fast means slower.

As for your previous question. 2005 RL. 300HP, 40MPH
But that SS is heavier than a 1LE car and lacks the 1LE suspension...
Old 02-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Lurker

You're just pissed 'cause you can't afford a TL. But then having to buy new wheels for your house every few years will do that to ya.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Drifting

You're just pissed 'cause you can't afford a TL. But then having to buy new wheels for your house every few years will do that to ya.
No, I'm pissed because Acura doesn't offer the A-spec as part of a reasonably priced, FACTORY/RPO option and instead expects me to hand the dealer ~ $6K to get it AFTER I pay him ~ $33K for the car.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

No, I'm pissed because Acura doesn't offer the A-spec as part of a reasonably priced, FACTORY/RPO option and instead expects me to hand the dealer ~ $6K to get it AFTER I pay him ~ $33K for the car.
I'll agree that the extra cost for the A-Spec seems a bit steep considering their isn't any engine enhancments.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Lurker

Personally, I can't wait for the Slomero to make a comeback...even it's new logo is pissed.

Quick Reply: HID headlamps are over-rated