Sponsored by:

HID headlamps are over-rated

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by harddrivin1le
Good.

I'm gald you're happy with them; maybe the TL's HIDS work well.

But I'm tired of hearing people ASSUME that HIDS are superior to halogens because that's not always the case.

they are superior in regards to the fat that they light the road in a more realistic light.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by adam209
they are superior in regards to the fat that they light the road in a more realistic light.
And they are inferior for other reasons:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html
Old 02-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

And they are inferior for other reasons:

quit pasting all these damn websites. can't you come up with your own ideas? why do you personally think that halogensa re just as good as HIDs? because you don't have them in your accord? grow some balls and come up with your own opinions.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Harvest day sucks....

I suppose you'll want to dismiss the CONSUMER REPORTS article, too...
Consumer reports just doesn't "get it". As stated earlier, mere distance isn't everything, as far as I can tell from that Consumer Reports article is that 1 halogen bulb equipped vehicle had superior distance to the rest of the field. But I see nothing that describes the beam pattern.

I live in the country and my HID's have saved me from countless accidents with deer because if their superior periphery performance. Halogen simply cannot compete in this regard, sorry.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Drifting

quit pasting all these damn websites. can't you come up with your own ideas? why do you personally think that halogensa re just as good as HIDs? because you don't have them in your accord? grow some balls and come up with your own opinions.
You don't know anything about lights other than the fact that HIDS "look cool."

I go by objective science and related test results versus marketing hype and what looks "cool."

A good set of halogens are at least as effective (all things considered) and are far less expensive.

Those articles explain why that is so.
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TE-63 from a junkyard with a new HKS wastegate, ATR headers, 55 LB injectors, 9" converter, 3.42's, stock heads, stock cam, stock block, stock intake, stock susp except southsides, stock cats, supp fuel pump, 11.5" ET streets, went 10.985 at Las Vegas on pump gas. And it even passes CARB emissions. Hell, little 4 banger Mistu Evo's will smoke your ass.

Only dorks read Hot Rod. Hot Rod, Car Craft, they all suck...same old recycled tech articles 2 years after being on the net.

And 1LE is a handling package lameass. Doesn't make the car faster out of the hole. Ooooo Koni shocks, fog light delete, SLP sway bars, I'm a bad ass. Whatta troll. 1LE makes it slower cause the limited weight transfer makes it hook for crap. I'll dial down the boost, suck down a Slurpee and smoke your stupid ass plastic Chevy. You mulletheads are just pissed cause Chevy finally grew a brain and cancelled that crapbox Camaro. I see lamers like you every month at Carlsbad and Irwindale...thinking 12's and 13's is fast. Well, news to you...it ain't.

Chevrolet

Can Hear Every Valve Rattle Over Leaky Exhaust Ticks
Drifting

Originally posted by Corn
Consumer reports just doesn't "get it". As stated earlier, mere distance isn't everything, as far as I can tell from that Consumer Reports article is that 1 halogen bulb equipped vehicle had superior distance to the rest of the field. But I see nothing that describes the beam pattern.

I live in the country and my HID's have saved me from countless accidents with deer because if their superior periphery performance. Halogen simply cannot compete in this regard, sorry.
Does this guy "get it" or do you know more about lighting than he does?

Old 02-27-2004, 12:52 PM
7th Gear

Pick up the latest issue of HOT ROD. An LS1 F-body in there is in the 10s and the ONLY internal engine mod was the cam. And no, there is no blower or no bottle.

That is a load of horse poopoo if ever read it.
I have a 2000 Mustang GT with every concieveable bolt on modification including an intercooled twin screw supercharger. I have invested over $15K in my car. I put down damn near 500 hp to the wheels and with slicks and good weather conditions I can run in the 10s. Your telling me that all the LS1 needs is a set off $600 cams and it can do the same?

Thats funny, the $160,000 Lingenfelter LS1 Corvette has a 7 liter twin turbo and makes over 800 hp and it only does high 9's in the 1/4 (that is WITH slicks!)
Old 02-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

You don't know anything about lights other than the fact that HIDS "look cool."

I go by objective science and related test results versus marketing hype and what looks "cool."

A good set of halogens are at least as effective (all things considered) and are far less expensive.

Those articles explain why that is so.
ok smartass, what do you know about them? i haven't seen you give your own opinion as to why halogens are just as good as HIDs. you just post frivilous bullsh!t that frankly, nobody cares about.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Harvest day sucks....

ok smartass, what do you know about them? i haven't seen you give your own opinion as to why halogens are just as good as HIDs. you just post frivilous bullsh!t that frankly, nobody cares about.
But...but....but.....Daniel Stern says so!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Skeedatl
TE-63 from a junkyard with a new HKS wastegate, ATR headers, 55 LB injectors, 9" converter, 3.42's, stock heads, stock cam, stock block, stock intake, stock susp except southsides, stock cats, supp fuel pump, 11.5" ET streets, went 10.985 at Las Vegas on pump gas. And it even passes CARB emissions. Hell, little 4 banger Mistu Evo's will smoke your ass.

Only dorks read Hot Rod. Hot Rod, Car Craft, they all suck...same old recycled tech articles 2 years after being on the net.

And 1LE is a handling package lameass. Doesn't make the car faster out of the hole. Ooooo Koni shocks, fog light delete, SLP sway bars, I'm a bad ass. Whatta troll. 1LE makes it slower cause the limited weight transfer makes it hook for crap. I'll dial down the boost, suck down a Slurpee and smoke your stupid ass plastic Chevy. You mulletheads are just pissed cause Chevy finally grew a brain and cancelled that crapbox Camaro.

Chevrolet

Can Hear Every Valve Rattle Over Leaky Exhaust Ticks
The Camaro isn't the fastest car on the road.

But it IS faster than a TL, which is ther point I made when the TL owners laughed @ the Accord V6/auto.

I bet that Buick does really well in the corners...LOL...You DO drive around corners, too, don't you?

I almost bought a GN brand new in '86. Even the Mustang GT I ended up buying instead handled a LOT better than that Buick.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Drifting

"There are physiological disadvantages to HID auto headlamps that do not exist with glowing-filament lamps.

Probably the biggest issue is HID headlamps' significantly worse color rendering index (CRI), which is in the high-60s to low-70s range. Halogen headlamps' CRI tends to be around 90 to 97 or so. In English, this means that the human eye's color perception and differentiation is much, much better under halogen light than under the light produced by automotive HID headlamps. "
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
He was funny in City Slickers.

Mike
Harvest day sucks....

Just ignore the troll and he will go away.
Three Wheelin'

The Camaro isn't the fastest car on the road.

But it IS faster than a TL, which is ther point I made when the TL owners laughed @ the Accord V6/auto.

I bet that Buick does really well in the corners...LOL...You DO drive around corners, too, don't you?

I almost bought a GN brand new in '86. Even the Mustang GT I ended up buying instead handled a LOT better than that Buick.
who cares if a camaro is fater than a TL!!?? a camaro is a sports car! if the camaro if slower than a family sedan, then chevy has some serious issues.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by NAZGUL
I have a 2000 Mustang GT with every concieveable bolt on modification including an intercooled twin screw supercharger. I have invested over $15K in my car. I put down damn near 500 hp to the wheels and with slicks and good weather conditions I can run in the 10s. Your telling me that all the LS1 needs is a set off $600 cams and it can do the same?

Thats funny, the $160,000 Lingenfelter LS1 Corvette has a 7 liter twin turbo and makes over 800 hp and it only does high 9's in the 1/4 (that is WITH slicks!)
And top fuel dragsters run in the 4s...

So what?

The TL owners was laughing because his "Sports sedan" is SLIGHTLY faster than my Accord EX/V6. I then reminded him that I don't care, since I have another car that would smoke his TL.

Get it?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Drifting

Cite a valid reference that refutes this:

"There are physiological disadvantages to HID auto headlamps that do not exist with glowing-filament lamps.

Probably the biggest issue is HID headlamps' significantly worse color rendering index (CRI), which is in the high-60s to low-70s range. Halogen headlamps' CRI tends to be around 90 to 97 or so. In English, this means that the human eye's color perception and differentiation is much, much better under halogen light than under the light produced by automotive HID headlamps."
Old 02-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Probably the biggest issue is HID headlamps' significantly worse color rendering index (CRI), which is in the high-60s to low-70s range. Halogen headlamps' CRI tends to be around 90 to 97 or so. In English, this means that the human eye's color perception and differentiation is much, much better under halogen light than under the light produced by automotive HID headlamps. "
plagerism is bad cite your source son.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by NAZGUL

The LS1 doesn't use cam "sets." It only has one cam.

The 2000 4.6 GT is junk...

The April issue of HOT ROD has a full article on 5 LS1 cars in varying states of tune. READ IT. The only INTERNAL engine mod to the the car in question was the CAM. It has headers, exhaust, slicks, gears and other EXTERNAL mods (but no blower or NOS).
Old 02-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Lurker

Faster to what...the dealership for warranty work? To the gas station? What are you retarded? That mullet must really be putting undo stress on your brain. Of course anyone who would have picked the crap headed, POS T5 86 EFI mustang over a GN should have their head examined.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Lurker

The LS1 doesn't use cam "sets." It only has one cam.

The 2000 4.6 GT is junk...

The April issue of HOT ROD has a full article on 5 LS1 cars in varying states of tune. READ IT. The only INTERNAL engine mod to the the car in question was the CAM. It has headers, exhaust, slicks, gears and other EXTERNAL mods (but no blower or NOS).
And 1LE Camaros are junk...what's your point.

I have NO internal mods and run 10's. No nanner nanner.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Drifting

Faster to what...the dealership for warranty work? To the gas station? What are you retarded? That mullet must really be putting undo stress on your brain. Of course anyone who would have picked the crap headed, POS T5 86 EFI mustang over a GN should have their head examined.

The '86 GN was a little quicker than the '86 GT; nowhere have I claimed otherwise.

The Mustang handled a LOT better.

And some of us like corners, too.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Drifting

And 1LE Camaros are junk...what's your point.

I have NO internal mods and run 10's. No nanner nanner.
But you have an intercooled blower....

The LS1 is N/A.:wow:
Old 02-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Lurker

The '86 GN was a little faster...

The Mustang handled a LOT better.

And some of us like corners, too.
A little faster? $80 wastegate mod and a stock 86 GN runs mid 12's. If you like corners then you must be disappointed with the number of corners cut by Chevy while making the Slomaro.

But then you get those corners back every time you go to the corner gas station or the corner Chevy dealer for repair work.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Lurker

But you have an intercooled blower....

The LS1 is N/A.:wow:
But...but...but....you have a blower....

It's a turbo lameass. A 6 cyl turbo. So what. The 1LE is a V-8...so what. You're the one bragging about your POS plastic Chevy.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Drifting

A little faster? $80 wastegate mod and a stock 86 GN runs mid 12's. If you like corners then you must be disappointed with the number of corners cut by Chevy while making the Slomaro.

But then you get those corners back every time you go to the corner gas station or the corner Chevy dealer for repair work.
The car has required very little in terms of repairs.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Lurker

Yeah right. Except for the glue and paperclips holding the interior together.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Drifting

But...but...but....you have a blower....

It's a turbo lameass. A 6 cyl turbo. So what. The 1LE is a V-8...so what. You're the one bragging about your POS plastic Chevy.

No...

I was merely pointing out that my OTHER car is quicker than the TL owner's car who laughed @ my Accord V6.

Get it?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Lurker

No...all that rattling isn't your car being fast...it's it being a POS.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Drifting

No...all that rattling isn't your car being fast...it's it being a POS.

My new V6/Ex/Auto Accord probably IS as fast as your new TL now that you've installed those huge (heavy, lots of rolling and wind resistance) wheels.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Lurker

Yes...that's right...Slomaro owners are very easily confused. It's all that superglue Chevy uses.

Now knock off with the trolling...you don't even own a TL. Go cut off your mullet and join the other preschoolers in a Chevy forum.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Yes...that's right...Slomaro owners are very easily confused. It's all that superglue Chevy uses.

Now knock off with the trolling...you don't even own a TL. Go cut off your mullet and going the other preschoolers in a Chevy forum.
Superglue?

Post a reference citing that.

Even GM was smart enough to offer REAL SHOCKS as an option...

And for $21,300 out the door I can overlook a lot of the "plastic" that you cite.

It even gets 19/28 MPG (per the EPA) while making ~ 300 RWHP.

How many Acuras have equalled/bettered that mileage/power combination?

Answer: NONE

(The ~ $85K NSX doesn't come close, so don't bother looking it up.):p
Old 02-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Lurker

What combination? Rattling plastic, cheap components, bad build quality? You're right...Acura would never put out a product as horrid as the Camaro. And it seems Chevy no longer does either.

Now I'm sure there is a repair appointment you need to get to. I won't keep you any longer. Come back to the TL forum when you actually get enough allowance and buy a TL.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Drifting

What combination? Rattling plastic, cheap components, bad build quality? You're right...Acura would never put out a product as horrid as the Camaro. And it seems Chevy no longer does either.
No...

Mileage/Horsepower...The lower the resultant the better.

((19 + 28)/2)/300 RWHP = .078333

Here.

This HEAVIER SS (without the 1LE handling package) was damn near as fast as the NSX, which was flat out SMOKED by the Z06 (older, 385 HP version). Steve Millen did all the driving (around a roadcourse, the kind with CORNERS):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3
Old 02-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Okay, so halogens may have some advantages over HID's. But HID's undeniably have advantages over halogens as well. As long as people with HID's prefer them to halogens, who are you to say that they are over-rated? The whole crux of your argument is that "HID's are over-rated." You haven't produced a shred of statistical evidence to prove this point. Yes, you have provided some links that say that halogens provide some advantages over HID's (as any 5th grader with simple Google search can do), but that's about it.

You are an Accord owner who comes to a TL forum and belittles the TL in every way under the delusion of "objectivity." This can mean only one of two things:

1) You really wanted a TL, but couldn't afford it, so you somehow try to justify your Accord purchase by putting down the TL.

2) You genuinely believe that you got the value of the century in the Accord, and cannot believe that some people paid $7000 more for a TL. Hence, you have to come to a TL forum and imply that TL owners are suckers for overpaying for a TL.

Either way, it paints a sorry picture for the kind of person you are, and that's why everyone here laughs at you instead of taking you seriously.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by jrock65
Okay, so halogens may have some advantages over HID's. But HID's undeniably have advantages over halogens as well. As long as people with HID's prefer them to halogens, who are you to say that they are over-rated? The whole crux of your argument is that "HID's are over-rated." You haven't produced a shred of statistical evidence to prove this point. Yes, you have provided some links that say that halogens provide some advantages over HID's (as any 5th grader with simple Google search can do), but that's about it.

You are an Accord owner who comes to a TL forum and belittles the TL in every way under the delusion of "objectivity." This can mean only one of two things:

1) You really wanted a TL, but couldn't afford it, so you somehow try to justify your Accord purchase by putting down the TL.

2) You genuinely believe that you got the value of the century in the Accord, and cannot believe that some people paid $7000 more for a TL. Hence, you have to come to a TL forum and imply that TL owners are suckers for overpaying for a TL.

Either way, it paints a sorry picture for the kind of person you are, and that's why everyone here laughs at you instead of taking you seriously.
I could "Afford" a TL without even thinking about it.

And I would have BOUGHT one if Acura offered the A-Spec package as a FACTORY/RPO option for ~ $1,900.

They don't. And the thought of paying the dealership AN ADDITIONAL ~ $6K to install what SHOULD come form the factory was enough to change my mind.

HID lights are FAR more expensive to make (and to buy). They should be a lot better ACROSS THE BOARD for their price delta.

But they aren't.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Lurker

Now I know you're upset because your Camaro is a slow piece of crap, but that's still no reason to troll a TL forum. Camaros suck, HIDs smoke Halogens...and my car is faster than your car. Nanner nanner.

I'm finished with you. It's been fun though. You slomaro guys are always a hoot.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Harvest day sucks....

Cite a valid reference that refutes this:

Probably the biggest issue is HID headlamps' significantly worse color rendering index (CRI), which is in the high-60s to low-70s range. Halogen headlamps' CRI tends to be around 90 to 97 or so. In English, this means that the human eye's color perception and differentiation is much, much better under halogen light than under the light produced by automotive HID headlamps."
Cite me a valid reference that supports that! Where's the test, where's the data?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Drifting

Now I know you're upset because your Camaro is a piece of crap, but that's still no reason to troll a TL forum.
You're avoiding the question.

Name ANY Acura product that can beat the LS1/6 speed cars (any) or the Z06 in terms of mileage/drive wheel HP.
:p

C'mon....

The LS1 and LS6 use "old fashioned" pushrods and 2 valves/cylinder...

What's wrong? Can't a "high tech" 4 valver with variable valve timing beat that?

Answer: No, it can't.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Lurker

You're avoiding the question.

Name ANY Acura product that can beat the LS1/6 speed cars (any) or the Z06 in terms of mileage/drive wheel HP.
:p
One last post since you're into comparing apples and oranges Here ya go lamer. Here's a little 4 valve 4 banger from Honda that will smoke ANYTHING coming out of GM.

CBR1000RR

You can go cry now.

Quick Reply: HID headlamps are over-rated