Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got rear ended today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:17 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry got rear ended today...

I was sitting at a stop light waiting to turn and all I hear was tires squeling, so as I was looking around...bam.. I got hit in the back. Thank god no one was hurt. The damage to my car isn't as bad as the other car. His is pretty smashed. I now got a dilapidated bumper and the trunk won't open. Now here's the sad thing. The cop told me that an hour and half prior to this wreck, this guy hit another car about a mile and half away. Poor old man shouldn't be on the road. Here are some pics...

Old 01-25-2006, 07:27 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, thank goodness you weren't hurt. I have to tell you, I am thoroughly amazed by the amount of damage sustained by your car when I compare it to his demolished front end. Looks like the TL did a wonderful job in protecting you
Old 01-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by MissM
The cop told me that an hour and half prior to this wreck, this guy hit another car about a mile and half away. Poor old man shouldn't be on the road.
Wow. This sounds like a classic story of dementia in an older person, or he had a stroke while driving (seen it happen several times in the last year ). I am aggressive about taking away drivers' licenses for my patients who do this--my medical license would be on the line if I didn't.

This is a reason all people over age 65 should be required to do yearly road tests. Unfortunately, no one in my state capitol will listen to this recommendation.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Wow! I *hope* things work out okay for ya. I was in a similar accident a while back and didn't start hurting until a couple days later - and THEN did I hurt. Best of luck gettin' the car fixed!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:47 PM
9th Gear

here's another view of the back...
Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Bob our older generation seriously need to be rechecked constantly, the whole debate is how would they get around otherwise. Good luck with fixing your car, and hopefully that guy won't be on the road any longer
Old 01-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Wow. This sounds like a classic story of dementia in an older person, or he had a stroke while driving (seen it happen several times in the last year ). I am aggressive about taking away drivers' licenses for my patients who do this--my medical license would be on the line if I didn't.

This is a reason all people over age 65 should be required to do yearly road tests. Unfortunately, no one in my state capitol will listen to this recommendation.
i completely agree with you and i have been advocating this for years now. but people will use age discrimination as the argument against this. it's fortunate that no one was hurt in this accident but other times it can be fatal. another reason why a law will never be passed is that senior citizens make up a huge % of the votes in an election. no candidate is going to commit what basically is political suicide on this topic even though it seems so like common sense to most people.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Yes, he did that

Originally Posted by caball88
i completely agree with you and i have been advocating this for years now. but people will use age discrimination as the argument against this. it's fortunate that no one was hurt in this accident but other times it can be fatal. another reason why a law will never be passed is that senior citizens make up a huge % of the votes in an election. no candidate is going to commit what basically is political suicide on this topic even though it seems so like common sense to most people.

Also, the AARP is one of the strongest lobbying groups in Washington!

Glad to see no one was hurt and the TL held tough
Old 01-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't have the link but I remember hearing on the news that seniors as a whole have MORE accidents per mile driven than any other age group...although they have the lowest number of accidents overall as a group. Something to chew on the next time you see a Lincoln Continental looming in your rearview.

dsc888
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 AM
mio
Police

Glad to see everyone is ok, get ur car fixed soon~
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
that TL has a lot more damage then you think. once you get under the bumper and get into the frame....

trust me, its waaaaay more then you think. once they take the bumper off, you will see... keep us updated with the estimate to fix it.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
phew, glad you and the devotions are ok
Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cTLgo
phew, glad you and the devotions are ok
haha me too, i was hoping to see more pics.. maybe more with rims and the sad look on missM next to the car. (since im gonna get brushed aluminum rims, same car color same a-spec kit)

I've been rear ended in my maxima before at no more than 10mph and that sh*t costed a lot! hope the old man has insurance.

your gonna have to look for

frame damage
new/repair trunk hinges
new bumper
new rear a-spec
new trunk lid (maybe)
and a bunch of tiny lil things to come across

make sure to check out w/ a chiropracter in about 2 weeks, might have some back pain creep up on you.

Best of luck and please post more pics
Old 01-26-2006, 06:48 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
haha me too, i was hoping to see more pics.. maybe more with rims and the sad look on missM next to the car. (since im gonna get brushed aluminum rims, same car color same a-spec kit)

I've been rear ended in my maxima before at no more than 10mph and that sh*t costed a lot! hope the old man has insurance.

your gonna have to look for

frame damage
new/repair trunk hinges
new bumper
new rear a-spec
new trunk lid (maybe)
and a bunch of tiny lil things to come across

make sure to check out w/ a chiropracter in about 2 weeks, might have some back pain creep up on you.

Best of luck and please post more pics
I remember MissM posting pics of her car a while back after the Devotions were installed and I quickly recognized it when Ron posted wallpapers of her car on his site, so here it is:
Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

The important thing, as all have said is, its great to hear that you weren't hurt. Unfortunately there will be more damage than just the bumper. Make sure things get repaired to your specs, NOT the insurance adjusters.

These are the times when at least the fine state of CT is making advances in the 16 year old population having driving restrictions. But, they have left the AARP crowd out of the mix which is truly a purposeful and sad omission. I have seen many accidents where the geriatric patient has applied the accelerator pedal rather than the brake, they come in confused (an existing condition usually verified by family members). Studies have shown decrease reactionary times etc. The only thing these legislative guys are thinking is that the AARP people vote, and the 16 year olds don't.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
cTLgo - I thought the same thing.

MissM - Glad you're ok. Hopefully there's not too much damage behind the bumper. Given the condition of the other car, it must've been quite an impact. Definitely keep us posted on how it goes.

As for old drivers, most should have their licenses taken. I saw my 90 year old neighbor on the road once ...license should've been taken years ago. But as many have noted, they'll never require annual tests or anything like that...AARP, aging boomers, ACLU, etc. will all keep that from happening...no wonder FL is a no fault state!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by chill_dog
no wonder FL is a no fault state!
LOL
Old 01-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Racer

this is why they should make people retake a driving test after a certain age. yes, you could feel bad for the old people and thin kabout how will they get around, but its better to keep them off the streets if they are incapable of driving instead of allowing them to endanger other peoples lives
Old 01-26-2006, 10:48 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

It looks amazing how nothing else was bent on outside.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:04 AM
"Joe Cool"

Glad you weren't seriously injured.

BTW... I love those rims.
By far the nicest rims for a TL IMO.

I would love to get some but my wife would just hit the curb and I'd have to kill her.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Seniors unlike any other demographic go to the polls in numbers. Hell will freeze over before a politician puts his job on the line.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:37 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know you were not hurt and hope there is no frame damage. All the best.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 PM
9th Gear

Oh yeah I definitely agree with you guys. I know that there is more damage to my car than the bumper itself, but hopefully not too much. It was quite an impact. He was probably going about 20mph before he hit me. You can see his tire marks from a long way and right after he had hit me, his car bounced a car length back. I’m quite impressed that the TL took it well.

I have a doctor’s appt today because the back pain is slowly creeping up on me. I’m also stopping by the body shop so I will keep you guys posted on the damage.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Glad you're OK. Hope to see you at the next Dallas AZ meet when you get the ride fixed up.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Funny thing is older people always drive these big steel tanks/boats. I remember when i had my 65 mustang, a Civic hit me while i was parked, my car had no damage while the Civic's whole fron end was messed up Bumper came off,headlight housing cracked etc.....
Old 01-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Racer

Lightbulb Retest Drivers Every Fours Years

To me, the best approach is to retest each driver every four years. This approach takes away the age issue and may prevent the experienced drivers (sarcasm) from renewing their driver’s license.

Of course, some states driving test consist of driving around the parking lot. I think a federal law of retesting drivers every four years and specific driving test criteria should be performed.

Hope you are okay MissM. I nearly joined the accident group during my after work commute home this evening. Long story short, we all missed each other’s cars and I was in the middle of everything.