Good find, thank you.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Props to Toyota and Honda.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Way Fast Whitey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of those numbers make no sense. Look at the Mini Cooper. They are listing base prices but showing residual value of nicely equipted models. Almost Doctoring numbers.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....no Lexus
Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Racer

This is why I will never buy another Nissan product. I went through two Maximas before my TL and took an absoute bath on both!! The last was an 04 that I paid 31k for....blue book 1 year later with 12k miles, immaculate condition?........$20k!!!!

Nissan resale blows!! I'd imagine tis goes for Infiniti as well....
Old 03-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
so what your saying is if i buy a totota tundra then in 3 years I will be making a $300 profit....inaccurate info maybe
Old 03-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EMF213
This is why I will never buy another Nissan product. I went through two Maximas before my TL and took an absoute bath on both!! The last was an 04 that I paid 31k for....blue book 1 year later with 12k miles, immaculate condition?........$20k!!!!

Nissan resale blows!! I'd imagine tis goes for Infiniti as well....

So you're saying that Nissan/Infiniti resale must blow based on ONE model?

Hmmm, let's see...why did you even bother to buy an Acura?!?

CL's resale BLOWS, the prev. generation RL's resale BLOWS, and I can see where the current RL's resale is headed if people can get a $50k car for $42k new.

that's 3 examples of poor resale models for Acura, yet only 1 example of poor resale model for Nissan...yet you can judge ALL of Nissan off this one model, but not Acura off of 3 models?

does logic exist in your little world?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Ottawa '02 3.2 Type-S

Nice to hear that it holds value. ;-) Great find.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Racer

the new gen Audi A6 holds it's value incredible well unlike the last gen A6 .
Old 03-31-2006, 04:22 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
new gen A6 is one year old... give it a couple of years.

/came from audi
//still hurting from the trade-in value.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
no american brands
Old 03-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
So you're saying that Nissan/Infiniti resale must blow based on ONE model?

Hmmm, let's see...why did you even bother to buy an Acura?!?

CL's resale BLOWS, the prev. generation RL's resale BLOWS, and I can see where the current RL's resale is headed if people can get a $50k car for $42k new.

that's 3 examples of poor resale models for Acura, yet only 1 example of poor resale model for Nissan...yet you can judge ALL of Nissan off this one model, but not Acura off of 3 models?

does logic exist in your little world?
He only gave one example, but could've given more. It's proven that Nissan/Infiniti have poor resale values (moreso than Acura, whose resale value is among the best). The examples of the CL and previous generation RL can't really be put into play because 1) Acura doesn't make CL's anymore, and 2) the previous generation RL is what it is--a previous generation. If you compare the newer models of Acura to the newer models of Nissans/Infinitis, I'm sure you'll find that Hondas/Acuras have much better resale value than Nissans.

And just look at the Forbes list...no Nissans for a reason.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pkim05
He only gave one example, but could've given more. It's proven that Nissan/Infiniti have poor resale values (moreso than Acura, whose resale value is among the best). The examples of the CL and previous generation RL can't really be put into play because 1) Acura doesn't make CL's anymore, and 2) the previous generation RL is what it is--a previous generation. If you compare the newer models of Acura to the newer models of Nissans/Infinitis, I'm sure you'll find that Hondas/Acuras have much better resale value than Nissans.

And just look at the Forbes list...no Nissans for a reason.

OK then please give more examples. I gave 2 examples of poor Acura resale but you have provided NONE.

since you brought it up, please prove it. You say he could've provided more...please do so.

the current generation RL is selling at very discounted prices from the $50k msrp...how does this translate to good resale?
Old 04-01-2006, 03:47 AM
Cruisin'

OK then please give more examples. I gave 2 examples of poor Acura resale but you have provided NONE.

since you brought it up, please prove it. You say he could've provided more...please do so.

the current generation RL is selling at very discounted prices from the $50k msrp...how does this translate to good resale?

The purchase price of the vehicle is a part of the equation in determining a relative resale value. If the purchase price was lower then the relative resale value increases.

Example: Car A has a resale value of $30,000 and car B has a resale value of $20,000 with all other conditions remaining equal (age, mileage, condition, etc.). Should one automatically assumes that car A has better resale value? No. If car A is a NSX and car B is a TL, then the TL would have a better resale value since the NSX initially cost a lot more. (I know, an NSX would cost more. It's just an example)

To compare resale values of a CL or a previous model RL, you must compare them with vehicles under equal conditions. ie. compare an excellent 2002 Acura CL ($16,210 value/$28,030 MSRP) with an excellent 2002 Infinity I35 ($14,960 value/$28,750 MSRP) per Kelly Blue Book. The Acura CL retained 58% of its value while the Infinity I35 retained 52%. This clearly shows the Acura CL has a better resale value.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by norcaltl
The purchase price of the vehicle is a part of the equation in determining a relative resale value. If the purchase price was lower then the relative resale value increases.
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I'm takling about MSRP vs. actual selling price.

If the purchase price is LOWER than the MSRP, then the resale value DECREASES.

Take the RL for example...msrp above $50k but selling at $42-43k. Are you telling me that the RL's are gonna have stellar resale value when it can't even sell near MSRP? The resale value can be predicted as SUCKING because the car's not even worth the MSRP, which is what resale value is calculated from.

Example: Car A has a resale value of $30,000 and car B has a resale value of $20,000 with all other conditions remaining equal (age, mileage, condition, etc.). Should one automatically assumes that car A has better resale value? No. If car A is a NSX and car B is a TL, then the TL would have a better resale value since the NSX initially cost a lot more. (I know, an NSX would cost more. It's just an example)
This proves you have no idea what i'm talking about. I'm talking about actual selling price vs. MSRP being a factor in resale, not comparing baseless resale prices.

But back on topic...my point is that EMF213 is supporting his argument that ALL Nissan resale value sucks based on resale of ONE model. He goes even further and assumes Infiniti resale value sucks just because its part of Nissan.

Yet he conveniently overlooks the fact that Acura has models with very bad resale values and doesn't use the same logic on Acura as he did on Nissan. Using the SAME logic, he would have to assume that Acura resale value sucks too. Using the same logic further, he would have to assume that Honda resale sucks too since Honda and Acura are related.

The TL being on forbe's list is testament to the TL's strong resale, no other model.

The Accord being on the list is testament to the Accord's strong resale, no other model.

Same with the maxima example...poor resale for the maxima is testament to the maxima's poor resale, not any other Nissan.

It's plain outright WRONG to base resale value of an entire brand (nissan) on ONE model (maxima). It's plain outright MORONIC to base resale value of another brand (Infiniti) just because it's related to nissan. We might as well say that MB resale sucks since it's part of chrysler then.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Why so angry mrdeeno? Using words like "moronic" undercuts the effectiveness of your position.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I'm takling about MSRP vs. actual selling price.

If the purchase price is LOWER than the MSRP, then the resale value DECREASES.

Take the RL for example...msrp above $50k but selling at $42-43k. Are you telling me that the RL's are gonna have stellar resale value when it can't even sell near MSRP? The resale value can be predicted as SUCKING because the car's not even worth the MSRP, which is what resale value is calculated from.

This proves you have no idea what i'm talking about. I'm talking about actual selling price vs. MSRP being a factor in resale, not comparing baseless resale prices.
The purchase price, not the MSRP, is used in determining a vehicle's relative resale value. When a purchase price is not known, then MSRP is used.

If the RL was purchased at $43k and sold for $41k one year later (2005 RL Kelly Blue Book), it retained 95% of its value. That's a pretty good resale value.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by norcaltl
The purchase price, not the MSRP, is used in determining a vehicle's relative resale value. When a purchase price is not known, then MSRP is used.

If the RL was purchased at $43k and sold for $41k one year later (2005 RL Kelly Blue Book), it retained 95% of its value. That's a pretty good resale value.
You're kidding, right?

This is the last paragraph from that article linked above:

On the following pages we list the vehicles with the highest residual value in each of 10 categories covered by ForbesAutos.com. Pricing is based on 2006 base MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail pricing) and residual values are 36-month projections for March through April 2006.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mgates68
Why so angry mrdeeno? Using words like "moronic" undercuts the effectiveness of your position.

I use "moronic" because that's what it is...and i'm one that calls it like it is without sugarcoating.

EMF213 based an entire brand's resale status based on ONE model...that's flawed logic.

But then he goes on and bases a SEPARATE brand's resale off a model not even sold under that brand and this doesn't make ANY logical sense.

How the HELL can he base resale of all Infinitis off of the Maxima? Infiniti DOESN'T sell Maximas. How is this not moronic?!? That's like saying the Accords resale MUST SUCK because the RL's resale sucks...it just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not saying he's a moron or anything, I'm saying his statement which is based on very flawed logic is moronic.

When someone makes a smart comment, people are allowed to say, "smart comment!". Or is that not allowed either?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
Time out, guys!

Back on topic or the thread gets the .