Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early '04's transmission Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdimaria
I just called and I am affected also. My VIN is XX4337. ACS stated that the letters will be going out on July 2, 2004. They said I should expect that the car will be in for service all day. Looks like I be getting a loaner for the day.
That makes sense cause my letter was said to be coming out Mid July - staggered out like they said. My VIN is 13XXX.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! even for '04TL's before you hit 50K miles. When the accountants at Honda begin to realize they are losing more money on replacing transmissions than selling cars, they will do something.

I tried to baby my '03, change the fluid at 30K (earlier than recommended), etc. When my new tranny comes in, I won't change the fluid ever again, and I'll be a bitch with the sports shift.

My goal is at least five trannies installed before 100K. :sqntfawk: Acura A/T. I will only get a M/T from now forward.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOO HOO.... taking possesion of my 6MT navi this weekend.........
Old 06-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
Acura has known about this problem since 2001. If not earlier...

It has been in newspapers... they extended 2nd Gen warrantys to 100,000 miles back in 2002... etc etc.
I know, I owned a 2G TL (thankfully without any tranny problems). My 1st quote in this thread...

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Wow. The only positive thing I can say about this situation is that Acura stepped up to the plate early on. They dragged things out with the 2G TL for two years, and there's at least one class-action lawsuit pending against Acura for THAT situation.
Like I said.....back to work while this gets sorted out. Maybe Honda needs to contract out to GM for trannys--they're pretty bulletproof.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Just got off the phone with ACS and they confirmed that the VIN range is up to 14224 - anything after that should not be affected. At least that's what they're saying now... But nothing about it affecting "sporadic" VINs, and they didn't ask what my mileage is, so it looks like 14224 is the VIN cut-off for now.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd take a Pontiac GTP (buick Regal GS) tranny in a heartbeat.. those things can handle all that torque all day long, years in a row...
Old 06-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I don't think this is a big deal. Our '02 Odyssey is going in for this on Friday, and if I am getting the same letter on my TL, oh well, it's just a recall. I haven't ever had a car that didn't have at least one recall.

Mike
Old 06-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Racer

I had a 2000 TL AT for 3.5 years, 46K miles and no problems with anything. This will not stop me buying an 05 AT. I also have friends with Accords, Odesseys and MDX's who have had no problem. Kudos to Acura/Honda for stepping up to the plate and at least trying to recitify the problems. More than some manufacturers do. I was very pleased when they extended the warranty on the old car.

The people who answer the phones are not car experts (they almost certainly don't know as much as you guys!), and will only be able to tell you what they've been told. I'm glad I don't have their job!

I'm not belittling ANYONE who has had problems; indeed, I feel for you. I've been through lemon law with GM on a deathtrap Suburban that had way more problems than the TL's (GM tranny - NO THANKS!!).

Please, no-one have a coronary over this?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I had a 2k TL that was affected by the recall but never had a problem. As far as my 04 is concerned, I am wondering if and what Acura did to the transmission to warrant a cut-off after a certain VIN? Why would a 14,000 VIN have it and my 32000 VIN not? Sorry if this is a repeated question - I didn't go through all the posts in this thread.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:00 PM
5th Gear

I just went to my Acura Ownerlink homepage and didn't find any recalls specified for my VIN #. Does this mean (1) I'm okay or unaffected (for now), (2) they haven't officially declared this tranny problem a safety recall, (3), the website is not realtime and has a delay, or (4) the Honda Company is not fessing up to a problem they know exists?

Does anyone else's Ownerlink page say the same thing, especially those that have confirmed their tranny is affected?
Old 06-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svtmike
I don't think this is a big deal.
The irony is that so many active posters have taken this attitude. On the thread running a week ago comparing the TL's value @ $32K vs. a BMW at $50K, the same group was swearing that there was no difference and BMW people were buying the "label". I'll be the first to admit that BMW has its share of issues, but not wholesale multi-year transmission failures across the entire product line. Someone recently even posted that Gen II'ers were making the whole tranny problem up and/or that it was abuse. I have to say, as an ex-Gen II owner, I feel somewhat vindicated. As to those freaking out, like Soopa said, welcome to the world we Gen II'ers lived for years.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by svtmike
I don't think this is a big deal. Our '02 Odyssey is going in for this on Friday, and if I am getting the same letter on my TL, oh well, it's just a recall. I haven't ever had a car that didn't have at least one recall.

Mike
Well Mike, it's a bigger deal to other people for different reasons -- i went thru three transmission in my TL-S ... so can you at least understand why I'm a little more peeved than you are?
Old 06-30-2004, 05:08 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Well Mike, it's a bigger deal to other people for different reasons -- i went thru three transmission in my TL-S ... so can you at least understand why I'm a little more peeved than you are? Or isn't this that big of a "deal?"
Well, I honestly can't believe you went back with Acura. Sure you got a great deal but I would have turned around and sold the car immediately if I had the same experience as you.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, I honestly can't believe you went back with Acura. Sure you got a great deal but I would have turned around and sold the car immediately if I had the same experience as you.
Call me stupid for thinking this car company would have resolved the tranny issue once and for all when they friggen re-designed the TL for 2004, w/ all that bad press over the previous gen. TL haunting them
Old 06-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Safety Car

I think Michael Moore should investigate this for us .. someone should post this man's home phone number so that we can contact him personally over this issue:
Old 06-30-2004, 05:22 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I don't understand you guys, are you retarded?

There hasn't even been an issue yet, Honda thinks there MIGHT be, and they are taking precuations to fix the problem. You should all be happy, not pissed.

(I'm refrencing to the 04TL)
Old 06-30-2004, 05:27 PM
10th Gear

2004 TL's through VIN 4A014224 are affected by the recall. Higher VINs have internal transmission changes to resolve the lubrication issue.

Regarding the "blue bolts" on new or remanufactured transmissions (Lore) - The blue paint is utilized as a verification of bolt torque. The blue paint is applied from inside the torque wrench socket to mark the bolt head as it is being tightened/torqued (watched it myself).
Old 06-30-2004, 05:43 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GaleForce
I don't understand you guys, are you retarded?

There hasn't even been an issue yet, Honda thinks there MIGHT be, and they are taking precuations to fix the problem. You should all be happy, not pissed.

(I'm refrencing to the 04TL)
I think people have a valid reason to be pissed. Many had to deal with Acura f#@king them over with the 2nd gen TL and now they are wary. Other auto manufacturers have issued recalls for much less serious issues than Acura (e.g., Nissan recalled all of their v6 models due to faulty O2 sensor!!!).

Right now, I'm LMAO at the people who keep denying that the 2nd Gen TL had serious tranny issues. Talk about denying reality...
Old 06-30-2004, 05:51 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm on hold right now, vin # is in 17 range.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:55 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

My vin # is 17xxx and its not affected as they just told me. Oh well I'm not worried, if someting happens, i'm taking it in or forcing my dad for 6mt :P
Old 06-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Instructor

does anyone actually know if honda manufactures the trannys??? could it be a third party???

hell my 94 firebird formula 6sp was a borgue & warner (sp). the demand was so high that gm decided to make the six speeds later on. then again that company was known for making high quality trannys.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:05 PM
5th Gear

Being a former '01 CL-S owner, I'm glad Honda/Acura is finally owning up to some transmission problems. Fortunately for me, I sold the car before any transmission problems showed up and also before resale value took a big hit. I wanted a manual transmission back in 2000 when I bought the Acura, but pretty much the only cars that had MTs back then (in the target price range) were the Mustang, Firebird, and Camaro. Hence, the Acura w/ the 5AT.

At any rate, I swore I'd never get another 5AT from Honda for any car that had a 6-cylinder engine -- and I stayed true to my word. Unfortunately I couldn't get the 6MT TL w/ navi due to lack-of-funds :'( , so I am purchasing the V6 Accord Coupe 6MT w/ navi at invoice ($26,131). Not a bad deal. The TL looks like pure sex on wheels compared to the Accord, but sometimes you can't always have what you want. I just hope the 6MT's won't start blowing up ....

Now, back to the transmission issues. Are we sure that this recall covers the *same* issue that Honda has had with the previous gen trannies, or could there actually be two different issues at hand? I seem to recall the 2nd gen TL/CL issue was with the clutchpacks and not 2nd gear lubrication -- so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just guessing that since this problem *is* correctable with a band-aid measure the recall was done. Perhaps the 3rd gear clutchpack could only be fixed with a design change (ie: complete tranny swap with a fixed tranny) and was not possible with some oil jet band-aid?

Anyone?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Racer

thats weird that the 04 tl was included in the recall. we still havent done any 04s at my delearship. i did however just order a trans for an 03 this morning.lol.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:13 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

who makes honda's trannys?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:14 PM
9th Gear

Just got off the phone.

I am not affected .. yet! 046XXX. I had a CL-S before my TL, and the tranny did slip in that one. While my dealer was good about fixing the CL after I could duplicate it for them, it was scary experience driving that thing. I hope that this is the only thing wrong with these trannies. I really like my car.

The ACS guy stated that the warning signs are clicking noises while driving, because of a lack of lubricant. Whatever! While I haven't heard anything like that, a rare rough shift can occur when I don't come to a complete stop before accelerating. Cl did that too. I am not worried yet, but this new does disappoint me. I really would like to stay loyal to this company.. my last 3 cars were all Hondas. We'll see what happens...

Be safe guys!

Old 06-30-2004, 06:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jackal2001
does anyone actually know if honda manufactures the trannys??? could it be a third party???

hell my 94 firebird formula 6sp was a borgue & warner (sp). the demand was so high that gm decided to make the six speeds later on. then again that company was known for making high quality trannys.

The TL automatic transmissions are manufactured by Honda in Russells Point, Ohio using globally sourced parts.

www.autofieldguide.com/articles/090106.html
Old 06-30-2004, 06:17 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Originally Posted by Sinsyth

:sqnteek: stop crying like a baby, go drive ur TL more and enjoy it.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Well Mike, it's a bigger deal to other people for different reasons -- i went thru three transmission in my TL-S ... so can you at least understand why I'm a little more peeved than you are?
I can understand your frustration and concern, but not your return to Acura.

I went through three transmissions on a Dodge Caravan (zero transmission recalls though! Woohoo!) and that's one of the reasons we bought the Honda when it came time for a new van.

Recalls don't really bother me; these days they are simply part of owning an automobile. Major failures and defects, however, do bother me, and those don't have to be part of the equation.

Mike
Old 06-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
Oh well I'm not worried, if someting happens, i'm taking it in or forcing my dad for 6mt :P
The belief that manual transmissions are significantly more reliable than automatics is, in my opinion, a likely fallacy. You hear more about automatic trans failures because automatics are the overwhelming choice of American drivers. Manual transmissions, though, also have their problems.

Clutches fail, throwout bearings fail, and gears chip (and when they do often cases crack because of the tight clearances inside). I've had all of these things happen to manual transmissions over the years, little of it covered by warranty, and none of it cheap.

Mike
Old 06-30-2004, 06:58 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by ACuraR
2004 TL's through VIN 4A014224 are affected by the recall. Higher VINs have internal transmission changes to resolve the lubrication issue.

Regarding the "blue bolts" on new or remanufactured transmissions (Lore) - The blue paint is utilized as a verification of bolt torque. The blue paint is applied from inside the torque wrench socket to mark the bolt head as it is being tightened/torqued (watched it myself).
Hey there,

Thanks for the insight - who was it then who suggested that remanufactured transmissions are indicated as such by their prominent blue bolt display?

edit: okay, looks like it was Silver's post on the transmission problems.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore

Hey there,

Thanks for the insight - who was it then who suggested that remanufactured transmissions are indicated as such by their prominent blue bolt display?

edit: okay, looks like it was Silver's post on the transmission problems.

Lore, thanks for asking this question. I'd like to know, too.

Well, since the original tranny comes from the plant, it seems right that there is no blue blots from robot or prodcution lines. While the local dealer tries to take apart of the tranny by their own, the torque wrench with blue mark seems to be the good answer... :o
Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

The TL automatic transmissions are manufactured by Honda in Russells Point, Ohio using globally sourced parts.

www.autofieldguide.com/articles/090106.html
Referring to the Parts Content Information on the window sticker from my car, my transmission came from Japan. At least that's how I interpret the word JAPAN next to Transmission.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

4A014224... is this the final answer...

Could anyone give us the final conclusion? I'll post this info on the top of Garage...

I'd appreciate all you have done for this forum.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:24 PM
10th Gear

rets - VIN 4A014224 is the final answer...

The blue paint IS used as descibed in my previous post during the production of NEW transmissions @ Honda Russells Point, Ohio (via my observation at that facility).

[Referring to the Parts Content Information on the window sticker from my car, my transmission came from Japan. At least that's how I interpret the word JAPAN next to Transmission - Shemp]

The content information on the window sticker is determined by some convoluted formula with parts $ value. As described above... the transmisson is manufactured @ Russells Point, Ohio from globally (Japan) sourced (and domestic USA) parts. I had the opportunity to tour this facility last year. Aluminum casting, machining and assembly operations were observed.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:59 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think people have a valid reason to be pissed. Many had to deal with Acura f#@king them over with the 2nd gen TL and now they are wary. Other auto manufacturers have issued recalls for much less serious issues than Acura (e.g., Nissan recalled all of their v6 models due to faulty O2 sensor!!!).

Right now, I'm LMAO at the people who keep denying that the 2nd Gen TL had serious tranny issues. Talk about denying reality...
No one is being fucked over. They would have been fucked over if there was an ACTUAL problem and Acura did nothing. Instead, there is ONE transmission failure and Acura is already taking action. And they should. They have a bad rep over the old TLs/CLs, but it doesn't mean they're fucking you over now. All it means is they're taking extra precautions to make sure it doesn't happen again to keep the customers safe and happy. There is nothing to be pissed about. No one's transmission has been failing through a manufacturing defect, but Acura noticed a possible problem, and is taking the steps to prevent it from causing trouble.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks... this 5AT tranny issue should be well taked care of by Acura... As ppl said above, it's good to see Acura has stepped up early.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Great http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=248836
Old 06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by geminis2

Kind of surprised that TOV is not the first site to announce this news... Bitium brought up this... thanks...
Old 06-30-2004, 11:19 PM
USC YQUE

Excellent reply

Originally Posted by TLGator
WHat the hell is the big fucking deal? Some people here are scared? Some are outraged? You're kidding, right? Wasting those big emotions on something as trivial as this?

So there's a recall. Fine. You take your car in, they do what they have to do. Yes, it's annoying, and yes, it's a little puzzling that Honda continues to have these tranny issues. But scared? Outraged? Please. Get a grip. It's a fucking car and the odds are better you'll win the lottery and get hit by lightening on the same day than actually suffer any personal harm because of this recall.

If this is the worst thing that happens in your life this year, praise God and be thankful. Some of you people really need better coping skills if you get so rattled by a recall on your car.
Amazing reply!!!

Good going TLGator!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Its kind of Ironic the early 2004 TLs get the recall did they give them 2003 left over trannys??

Quick Reply: Early '04's transmission Recall