Sponsored by:

Early '04's transmission Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dseag2
What do you mean, "us"? You don't own an Acura TL, so I don't know why you feel compelled to make that statement.

I've kept quiet on this forum as I've watched you jump at every chance to spread negativity, but now I feel compelled to speak up. Since I owned two Lexuses prior to my TL, I remember you quite well from the ClubLexus forums and the way you trashed any brand that wasn't Lexus. In that forum, when I mentioned I was considering a G35 Coupe you were very forthcoming in your remarks about the "POS interior". In this forum, you'd probably be the first to defend it.

In trying to figure out why you feel so compelled to stir up S**T, I can only guess it's because you still haven't been able to replace the GS4 that you totalled and are now driving a well-worn ES300. Knowing that, I would much rather hear from someone who actually owns the car than some wannabe armchair quarterback.

I still have no regrets that I traded in my GS300 for an Acura TL... recall or no recall... and there is nothing you can say that can change that. Go spread your trash somewhere else, "1WreckedLex".
Lighten up, its a forum Although I do feel that 1sicklex does bash everything that is not Lexus. Besides the IS300 (which is a SLOW) anyone under 50 shouldn't be driving a Lexus :P

I'm pretty kinda disappointed about the whole TL fiasco (from 2001 up). You would have thought that Honda would be EXTRA careful in making the tranny stronger. Hopefully, this fix will have good long term reliability. In a year, I may be lookin at a TL again
Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Damn, you guys just scare me this morning...

Based on what ACS told me, 04TL VIN in the range of xxxxxx will receive the recall notification in a few weeks. Please make an appointment with your dealer after receiving it, and your dealer will perform the transmission check and see if there is any damage with your gear (2nd??), then Acura will do the necessary repair or replacement.

Basically this recall will replace the "oil jet kit" if your transmission is found the problem. If the damage has been done and worse, they will replace the whole tranny for you...

Anyway, I'll still drive my 04TL to the 3k trip... :o
Old 06-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Tranny ALready Replaced

I had my AT replaced last week, not because of the recall...it was beacuse of a leak. Service manager said something inside was causing the seal to go bad. I haven't notice any difference in ride/performance...only time will tell how long a remanufactured tranny will last...good thing it comes with a full warranty
Old 06-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by SparkAF
I had my AT replaced last week, not because of the recall...it was beacuse of a leak. Service manager said something inside was causing the seal to go bad. I haven't notice any difference in ride/performance...only time will tell how long a remanufactured tranny will last...good thing it comes with a full warranty
What is your VIN - approx.?
thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Wow. The only positive thing I can say about this situation is that Acura stepped up to the plate early on. They dragged things out with the 2G TL for two years, and there's at least one class-action lawsuit pending against Acura for THAT situation.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Wow. The only positive thing I can say about this situation is that Acura stepped up to the plate early on. They dragged things out with the 2G TL for two years, and there's at least one class-action lawsuit pending against Acura for THAT situation.
It's in the best interest to do that... they can't afford to make that same mistake twice by letting the (potential) transmission problem drag on.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:29 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rets
Damn, you guys just scare me this morning...

Based on what ACS told me, 04TL VIN in the range of xxxxx will receive the recall notification in a few weeks. Please make an appointment with your dealer after receiving it, and your dealer will perform the transmission check and see if there is any damage with your gear (2nd??), then Acura will do the necessary repair or replacement.

Basically this recall will replace the "oil jet kit" if your transmission is found the problem. If the damage has been done and worse, they will replace the whole tranny for you...

Anyway, I'll still drive my 04TL to the 3k trip... :o

watt number of the vin do we look at.. THE LAST 6?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yes, the last 6...

More than hundreds of members have reviewed/read this thread, why couldn't anyone confirm the VIN range with us? ACS lied to me or no one could get this info out of ACS?

Can someone who isn't calling to ACS yet make a phone call now and ask nicely about this information?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Team Anthracite Member

More than hundreds of members have reviewed/read this thread, why couldn't anyone confirm the VIN range with us? ACS lied to me or no one could get this info out of ACS?

Can someone who isn't calling to ACS yet make a phone call now and ask nicely about this information?

Thanks.
Sounded to me that they did not want to tell me. Cause I flat out asked ACS this morning- What is the range and she kinda danced around the issue - probably does not want to set off any alarms by saying it is every single one of them.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 PM
SOLD

Thanks.
Phone number?
Moderator Alumnus

BTW, my stupid dealer confirms this and mentions to me they don't have part or instruction yet. This recall will spend more than 2 months to check all the cars in the range. They will do the checking only if the owner receives the recall notification from Acura...

Although you have confirmed with ACS that your VIN is in, the dealer won't take care of your car until you show them that notification letter.
Instructor

Vin Xxxxxxxxxxx002206
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by NightRider
Phone number?
1-800-382-2238
Old 06-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Acs #...

800-382-2238
Old 06-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro

OK, I need to know exactly what VIN is the cutoff for this voluntary recall of our tranny.

Is it the 014224 or 048224?

Can someone provide the correct number for me? I'm confused.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by HuKaShI
OK, I need to know exactly what VIN is the cutoff for this voluntary recall of our tranny.

Is it the 014224 or 048224?

Can someone provide the correct number for me? I'm confused.

Thanks!

This is the help I need from you (who ain't calling to ACS yet), could you call and ask them nicely? Thanks...

I bet some of those reps in ACS are willing to tell you the VIN range...
Old 06-30-2004, 12:44 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I could not get a range from them, but my car which is 21xxx is NOT affected according to Vance at ACS. My VIN is right in the middle of those two extremes so I doubt the recall, as it stands, affects cars all the way up to 48000. That may change though, as the history of Acura/Honda transmissions show.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro

So I should be safe with my 47XXX, correct?

My 98 accord went through this crap. I don't need this stress from a NEW car...
Old 06-30-2004, 12:47 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by HuKaShI
So I should be safe with my 47XXX, correct?
Call ACS and confirm that information for us, would ya?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I second this...
Old 06-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Pro

OK, I'm on the phone with them as I type this.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Instructor

I just checked with ACS, they said my original AT was affected VIN 002206
Old 06-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Pro

OK, here is the skinny on mine.

The lady tells me that there are no recalls currently for my VIN.

Also a surprise to me. I ask her about what VINs are affected. She says that the recalls don't have a range but are kinda spotty. She tells me that not all TLs are built in Marysville OHIO. She says that they are "built all over the place" Should I get a second opinion on my VIN? She seems kinda screwy in the head.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Banned

I knew it.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

My fault, sorry to confuse you guys...
Old 06-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
I thought Honda would be smart enough to redesign the whole transmission for the 04 TL. Now I might have to trade in for a 6mt.
Maybe you guys should have listened to SilverBulletCls. lol
Old 06-30-2004, 01:07 PM
I6

I just called ACS and the nice lady told me my TL is not part of the recall. My VIN is 039XXX.

She asks me how many miles I had on my car first though. Maybe it has something to do with the mileage?
Old 06-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

WHat the hell is the big fucking deal? Some people here are scared? Some are outraged? You're kidding, right? Wasting those big emotions on something as trivial as this?

So there's a recall. Fine. You take your car in, they do what they have to do. Yes, it's annoying, and yes, it's a little puzzling that Honda continues to have these tranny issues. But scared? Outraged? Please. Get a grip. It's a fucking car and the odds are better you'll win the lottery and get hit by lightening on the same day than actually suffer any personal harm because of this recall.

If this is the worst thing that happens in your life this year, praise God and be thankful. Some of you people really need better coping skills if you get so rattled by a recall on your car.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLGator
WHat the hell is the big fucking deal? Some people here are scared? Some are outraged? You're kidding, right? Wasting those big emotions on something as trivial as this?

So there's a recall. Fine. You take your car in, they do what they have to do. Yes, it's annoying, and yes, it's a little puzzling that Honda continues to have these tranny issues. But scared? Outraged? Please. Get a grip. It's a fucking car and the odds are better you'll win the lottery and get hit by lightening on the same day than actually suffer any personal harm because of this recall.

If this is the worst thing that happens in your life this year, praise God and be thankful. Some of you people really need better coping skills if you get so rattled by a recall on your car.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:12 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by TLGator
Some of you people really need better coping skills if you get so rattled by a recall on your car.

While not affected by this recall, I do get rattled by the rattles in my car!

ok, bad joke.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Called ACS. I'm in the recall. With my VIN of 0016XX, I'm not surprised. I've had NO tranny issues. For those who wonder whether the recall is in Ownerlink, it's not, yet. Of note: Honda stock was down over 1% on the news of yet another recall. Temporary, I'm sure, given sales lately.

Back to work!

P.S. As I said before, I'm just glad Acura didn't wait when it identified a potential safety issue. I'll go on with life, and get this looked at during my next oil change in a week or two, at which time I'm sure they'll have the parts and instructions necessary to deal with the recall.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:16 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
RELAX PEOPLE.

HOLY WAY TO PANIC!!!

2ND Gen TL/CL owners have been living with these shitty trannys for years. Its not a life or death situation here.

Panicing and rushing to get something that aint yet broken... fixed.... is gonna do nothing but cause a shortage of parts and labor for those whose trannys are BROKEN.

Simply go to the Acura website... sign up for owner link... put in your VIN#... and if this recall applies to your VIN range... it will tell you in a couple of days.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:18 PM
The Creator

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126

This is the tranny problem forum on A-CL.

As you can see... thousands of members trannys have gone... including 2 of my own... without a immediate safety issue.

The tranny does not just collapse... it slowly deteriorates... and when it is doing so... you will know!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:20 PM
SOLD

I just called and apparently my 39xxxx is not affected. He doesn't know the VIN range and says that old and new could possibly be affected though. He says the same thing about random numbers having problems, not any specific range.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:21 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
P.S. As I said before, I'm just glad Acura didn't wait when it identified a potential safety issue. I'll go on with life, and get this looked at during my next oil change in a week or two, at which time I'm sure they'll have the parts and instructions necessary to deal with the recall.
Acura has known about this problem since 2001. If not earlier...

It has been in newspapers... they extended 2nd Gen warrantys to 100,000 miles back in 2002... etc etc.

They have just refused to do anything this public about it.

My point is... WAIT is exactly what they did. Unfortunate too because they could of saved alot of you newer Acura owners this panic...

Your philosophy is good... go on with life... when you go in for next service... have this problem addressed. Otherwise your just gonna cause trouble for those without vehicles because their tranny has actually failed.

As I said. YOU WILL KNOW IF YOUR TRANNY IS ON THE FRITZ. It deteriorates over many months with significant noticeable problems.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:22 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by NightRider
I just called and apparently my 39xxxx is not affected. He doesn't know the VIN range and says that old and new could possibly be affected though. He says the same thing about random numbers having problems, not any specific range.
It's safe to assume that ALL Acura 5spd Auto transmissions built since 2000 are affected.

That doesnt mean it is affecting you RIGHT NOW.

So I will say again...

Address this issue when you are scheduled for your next regular service appointment.

There is nothing to panic about here
Old 06-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Just a comment -

I agree - there is no need and should be no mass panic here. But everyone has different issues that are very important to them and maybe not important to others. Some people get nervouse when it comes to trannies - Some people get all excited that they went to the track with their car and raced someone or the dyno thingy tells them this or that - YAWN! To each his own - people vent on forums - good and bad, fear and excitement. I don't think anyone should tell others what they should be concerned with and what they should not be concerned with. Some people who have gone down a tranny recall in the past may know what they are in for others have no clue - all they know is their 35K investment - which the bank owns - is part of a recall - and regardless how big it is or if it is for a faulty lightbulb - it is still a seed of doubt of hmmmm...am I going to have any more problems with this car? Will this problem reoccur AFTER warranty when I have to pay for it and maybe I can't afford that kind of repair.

Just something for people to realize - everything affects people in different ways.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Instructor

I just called and I am affected also. My VIN is XX4337. ACS stated that the letters will be going out on July 2, 2004. They said I should expect that the car will be in for service all day. Looks like I be getting a loaner for the day.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Soopa --

My last tranny went out in under 6 hours. At the beginning of the evening, it was running strong, shifting crisply like a champ (this is my third TL-S tranny I'm speaking of).. 6 hours later, after driving around thru-out the day noticing some querkiness that I attributed to the wheels slipping on the wet, rainy pavement .. the tranny blew completely.

You should modify what you're saying by stating that MOST trannies will likely deteriorate over one to two weeks once symptoms begin. However, SOME will just blow w/o warning. And sitting and waiting for a tranny to go is ridiculous. Acura should HEAR from each and every one of us so they are under pressure to address the issue properly. This issue needs MORE press and publicity than the previous issue(s) w/ the '00-03 trannies.

I took your advice for my first two trannies -- hell, I even came on here and bitched to other TL-S owners that they need to quit their crying and just realize it's under warranty and that they can make an appointment when it fails and get it replaced.

Now I feel the exact opposite, especially after fighting this a-holes at Acura/Honda for three months, and being told basically that I was a selfish, pretentious customer w/ unreasonable expectations from this Honda car company. I was told that just replacing the tranny, even if it means four or five times, is ACCEPTABLE. This is when I got extremely pissed, b/c my LIFE WAS PUT IN DANGER when I could not pull out of an intersection b/c my tranny was slipping, and it was JUST dawning on me that it wasn't the road condition, but my TRANNY.

Everyone needs to make a phone call to Acura. THIS DOES NOT MEAN PANIC. THIS MEANS BEING PROACTIVE. That's the first step. Soopa -- sit and chill if you'd like, that's your call.

Quick Reply: Early '04's transmission Recall