Sponsored by:

Damn, lol, "Amplified Exhaust"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Damn, lol, "Amplified Exhaust"

I got a ticket by a Cornell cop saying I have an "amplified exhaust"

(although I don't blame him! pre-cat deletes and 3rd cat delete with ATLP full catback isn't going to whisper)

Any way around this?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Well you can look up the state statue on the limit for the exhaust (95Db I think) and then measure your exhaust. If it is under, you can show that to the judge and get around the ticket.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
im surpised i dont get pulled over for that too.. i've got the same setup, with .3L more displacement... my car is noise POLLUTION
Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats why you get a resonated exhaust!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian

(although I don't blame him! pre-cat deletes and 3rd cat delete with ATLP full catback isn't going to whisper)

Any way around this?
perhaps a fellow local aziner is willing to swap exhausts with you for a day to get it written off.

on a side note:
does atlp offer a certificate similar to what greddy does with their exhausts that states its sound level and compliance with decibel laws/requirements?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by XjoEnX
perhaps a fellow local aziner is willing to swap exhausts with you for a day to get it written off.

on a side note:
does atlp offer a certificate similar to what greddy does with their exhausts that states its sound level and compliance with decibel laws/requirements?
You know.... that's exactly what I was wondering, I think Mike's products are all legel in terms of decibels and emissions.... gotta give him a ring to double check.

The officer says to me, "did you know that having any amplified exhaust is illegal,"

I said "This exhaust set up is completely legal."

He walks away without saying a word and comes back with a ticket LOL
Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
im surpised i dont get pulled over for that too.. i've got the same setup, with .3L more displacement... my car is noise POLLUTION
GET THE F*** OUTTA HERE !!!!

I swear to god !!! i just got pulled over on a McDonalds run on Jericho tpke !!!! Cop said he was dozing off, and my mufflers woke him up

he was cool as shit though, told me to "let off the gas" and "be careful"

as soon as he said that i was like DAMN YOU BRIAN !!!!

no tickets or anything

I think its the cold weather, makes it really loud and agressive
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Safety Car

I swear to god !!! i just got pulled over on a McDonalds run on Jericho tpke !!!! Cop said he was dozing off, and my mufflers woke him up

no tickets or anything

AHAHAA, WDP curse now... eh?

That is too funny man.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:37 AM
I have car ADD

i couldnt believe it... less than an hour after i typed that...

i have noticed with the cold weather, my car is sounding really bad ass..... aside from my battery dieing, my car LOVES these temperature
Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got pull over once before. Cop said my exhaust is not legal. I said I got it check and it's legal. He said well check it again and drive slowly.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
is that just from the precat deletes? what about just the jpipe and test pipe?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

no tickets or anything

lucky!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i'm not running precat deletes, and was pulled over yesterday for the same thing!!!!!.....i will say, the cold weather has made the car sound ridiculously meaner, esp after freeing up some more breathing room;

i was lucky, i told the cop that my car was bone stock, that everything came from acura (haha white lie?); in his hick accent (not bashing on MO-ppl, but this guy was had the worst twang ever) he's like "that sure sounded like em aftermarket exhausts"....

i told him, "i assure you if you look at the back of my car, it's stock"; he walks to the back of my car (CLEARLY didn't see anything; stock tips FTMW!!!) went to his car and gave me a "warning" slip from his station (which means basically nothing)......ROFL, what a tool

how much louder does the precat make the car? i'm thinking about getting them done too

brian get one of your Engineer major friends to grab a decibalmeter and measure it quick; if it's within legal range, goto a real place to get it done, and call up the station with the slip;

Last edited by JCL622; 11-20-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts

Any way around this?

Does the ticket say you have to bring the car back after the "fix" so they can hear it? Or do you have to provide proof you changed it back to stock?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Got pulled over once for loud greddys by a MA state trooper, I told him that there is a leak in the exhaust and I am working towards getting it fixed .

Brian, try that and see if it works.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by JCL622
how much louder does the precat make the car? i'm thinking about getting them done too
Before

After
Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^^^^^^ hahahhahaha Big difference huh!!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
"Amplified exhaust"
Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Yeah Brian, you deserved it! Who told you to hook up Rockford Fosgate Amps to your exhaust and connect them to Bazooka tube subs? Come on, didn't you know amplified exhausts are illegal?

Amplified exhaust, HAHA OK......sucks man! The ATLP is tempting me more and more, I may do it soon too. I guess this is just a consequence you have to put up with. GL with the ticket, put "not guilty", I am sure it will work out. After all you don't have your exhaust hooked up to an amplifier, see if that defense works, haha. "Not guilty" ALWAYS helped me!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by r*d*x*
^^^^^^^^ hahahhahaha big difference huh!!
roar!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

i couldnt believe it... less than an hour after i typed that...

i have noticed with the cold weather, my car is sounding really bad ass..... aside from my battery dieing, my car LOVES these temperature
Yes I've noticed that too.. the pre-cats make a more metallic sound than usual, but it's good to know that the cold air is good.

Originally Posted by erick3
is that just from the precat deletes? what about just the jpipe and test pipe?
It's from a combination of multiple things: the overall ATLP catback, pre-cat deletes (which I weigh more heavily since they're connected directly to the engine), race pipe (basically 3rd cat delete), and a more beefier j-pipe.

i'm not running precat deletes, and was pulled over yesterday for the same thing!!!!!.....i will say, the cold weather has made the car sound ridiculously meaner, esp after freeing up some more breathing room;

i was lucky, i told the cop that my car was bone stock, that everything came from acura (haha white lie?); in his hick accent (not bashing on MO-ppl, but this guy was had the worst twang ever) he's like "that sure sounded like em aftermarket exhausts"....

i told him, "i assure you if you look at the back of my car, it's stock"; he walks to the back of my car (CLEARLY didn't see anything; stock tips FTMW!!!) went to his car and gave me a "warning" slip from his station (which means basically nothing)......ROFL, what a tool

brian get one of your Engineer major friends to grab a decibalmeter and measure it quick; if it's within legal range, goto a real place to get it done, and call up the station with the slip;
Haha lucky.. once I told him that this exhaust is legal, he didn't even say anything, walked away, and came back with a ticket.

And yes, the pre-cats make the car VERY loud... but I owe it to the race pipe that replaces the catalytic converter as well..

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Does the ticket say you have to bring the car back after the "fix" so they can hear it? Or do you have to provide proof you changed it back to stock?
Naw, it says I can provide proof I changed it in such a way so as to not make it as "amplified". Or, I can plead guilty or not guilty and take it the hard way.

Originally Posted by JnC
Got pulled over once for loud greddys by a MA state trooper, I told him that there is a leak in the exhaust and I am working towards getting it fixed .

Brian, try that and see if it works.
Hm... I already received the ticket though, I think at this point I'm going to get Mike's hi-flow cat and replace the race pipe, and tell the inspection station to sign off my slip because technically I am making my car quieter.

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Yeah Brian, you deserved it! Who told you to hook up Rockford Fosgate Amps to your exhaust and connect them to Bazooka tube subs? Come on, didn't you know amplified exhausts are illegal?

Amplified exhaust, HAHA OK......sucks man! The ATLP is tempting me more and more, I may do it soon too. I guess this is just a consequence you have to put up with. GL with the ticket, put "not guilty", I am sure it will work out. After all you don't have your exhaust hooked up to an amplifier, see if that defense works, haha. "Not guilty" ALWAYS helped me!
LOL yeah man, AMPLIFIED EXHAUST! That's probably the official term too.... but it's not more bullshit than my other warning for "DAZZLING HEADLIGHTS", for when I had my angel eyes on and the lower grill HID fogs. THAT's, what you call bullshit.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL yeah man, AMPLIFIED EXHAUST! That's probably the official term too.... but it's not more bullshit than my other warning for "DAZZLING HEADLIGHTS", for when I had my angel eyes on and the lower grill HID fogs. THAT's, what you call bullshit.
wtf are you serious?!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

wtf are you serious?!
I'm dead serious, I was on my way to an 8 o clock dinner reservation for a friend's bday (I wasn't speeding) but it was dusk, so it was the perfect time to show off the angel eyes and fogs; a cornell cop thinks they're illegal or some shit so he looks up a bunch of rules and says "dazzling headlights" hahaha
Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
We're not allowing any more, " I got a ticket" threads in 3G. I think there are a few threads on AZ that address this issue. Try and seek those threads out for advice and/or heed the advice already provided in this thread. Closed.