CD in Changer gets jammed and ejects

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003 | 12:53 AM
Advanced

CD in Changer gets jammed and ejects

Does anyone else have this this problem when switching from one disc to another? it starts to change and then just gets stuck or something and ejects the CD.

Peece.
Old 12-31-2003 | 01:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Is your car parked outside under cold weather?

Does this only happen while the car is still warm-up?
Old 12-31-2003 | 01:15 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Are your CDs store-bought or burned?
Old 12-31-2003 | 01:42 AM
Advanced

my car is parked in my garage most of the time, but it does seem to happen when the car is cold overall...

at first i thought it maybe b/c the CDs are burned, but it happens with original CDs as well

This jamming doesn't happen all the time, only on occasion.
Old 12-31-2003 | 02:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by silvermullet
my car is parked in my garage most of the time, but it does seem to happen when the car is cold overall...

at first i thought it maybe b/c the CDs are burned, but it happens with original CDs as well

This jamming doesn't happen all the time, only on occasion.
Someone may have the same issue and post the thread for helps a while ago, the jamming in the cold weather. Sorry, I couldn't search out that thread.
Old 12-31-2003 | 08:55 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Jinkies! I was afraid this would happen.

I haven't been shopping for new cars for quite a few years. When I started shopping a few months ago, I saw the in-dash 6 CD changers everywhere.

I was very unenthusiastic. I saw this as an extremely fragile new feature. Changing CDs (or now, DVD-As) isn't that complicated if you have access to a seperate changer inside (like in the center console or glove box). Even if the changer was in the trunk, you can get almost 7 hours of play from a 6 disc changer. I can get out of the car once every 7 hours to change the CDs. I'm not that lazy.

The old seperate 6-disc changers were mechanically complicated enough, and I have had problems with those. The in-dash units with only one load/eject slot have to be even more complicated and more prone to breakage. Sigh.

The only multi-disc player concept that mechanically simple and reliable was Sony's turntable switcher, where the playback mechanism was stationary and the 5 or 6 discs would rotate horizontally around a ring to change the playing disc. I don't think that is what is going on behind the dash.
Old 01-01-2004 | 05:21 PM
3rd Gear

It's funny how that's the first question everyone asks when a CD gets stuck in a player nowadays:

"DID YOU USE A HOME MADE BURNED CD?"

Btw, I just got my in-dash cd player replaced because the cd was jammed in here (error code). I tried unsuccessfully for a couple hours using the "cd release trick" which involves taking another cd to push the edge of the stuck cd down enough so the rotating mechanism has good contact to eject the cd. My problem was that the stuck cd wasn't position at the slot so no way to reach it. Carefully trying to pry out the closest cd didn't work.

So I called the dealer... they said it would costs about $1800 for a new player! But that it was totally covered under warranty, whew!

So they order a replacement for me and it arrived within 3 days... It took about 1.5 hours to do the job.

Good luck with yours. Since my dealer knew exactly what I was talking about when I talked to them, this issue is very common.
Old 01-01-2004 | 10:17 PM
Advanced

I have an 03 Accord with an in-dash changer.. I haven't had any problems with that (knock on wood). But with my TL, it seems to happen every other day. Oh well.. thanks for the post... I'll just wait until i have to replace mine too.

Peece
Old 01-02-2004 | 10:30 PM
Racer

I sure hope that mine doesn't jam up! The trunk-mounted changer in my Solara jammed once. I had to take it completely apart to un-jam the mechanism. One of the trays that hold the CDs had popped off the track.

I don't know why the in-dash thing is so important. I prefer the way it is in the Solara and the Audis - one disc in the dash and a changer in the trunk with the CD cases - where they belong!

Good Luck all -
Old 01-04-2004 | 02:13 PM
Pro

The manual says DO NOT use home made CDs where you stick the label on yourself.

I have lots of those, and the labels are secure so I use them, but when it gets hit I can see how the label might curl and jam the unit.

I do not think this would be covered since it warns you NOT to put those discs in!