plastic around rear license plate - dust heaven

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy plastic around rear license plate - dust heaven

Hi I like my recently acquired 06 TL. However it spends quite a bit of time on dirt roads (handles superbly), and the dust (1) collects under the plastic molding that the rear number plate attaches to. No matter how much I wash, when I leave the car wash and drive away there is always mud that leaks down onto the bumper - is there a way to seal this insert to the trunk?
and (2) the dust seems to bypass the seals and cover the entire door jam (and in the case of the rear doors some dust actually gets completely past the seals and ends up inside the cabin on the plastic by your feet. Any ideas?? Car has not been in any kind of accident. Thought I'd pick the collective brain of this knowledgable crew.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by frozenpenguins
Hi I like my recently acquired 06 TL. However it spends quite a bit of time on dirt roads (handles superbly), and the dust (1) collects under the plastic molding that the rear number plate attaches to. No matter how much I wash, when I leave the car wash and drive away there is always mud that leaks down onto the bumper - is there a way to seal this insert to the trunk?
and (2) the dust seems to bypass the seals and cover the entire door jam (and in the case of the rear doors some dust actually gets completely past the seals and ends up inside the cabin on the plastic by your feet. Any ideas?? Car has not been in any kind of accident. Thought I'd pick the collective brain of this knowledgable crew.
water is supposed to get into the jambs to help it drain better, for the rear bumper the best thing to do is thoroughly rinse off the license plate area and to blast some air in the area to get all the water out. I do the same with the mirrors to keep it from dripping into the car.

If you condition the seals with some Honda Shin-itsu grease, they'll plump up and seal against dust better and help keep it out. After all rubber does dry out over time!