Sponsored by:

6-sp vs. auto...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 6-sp vs. auto...

Hello,

Newbie here! This coming weekend, I'm trading in my '04 Pilot for an '05 TL as my new winter "beater". I'm 95% sure I'd like to get an automatic. How much slower is the auto than the manual? Since it's a winter "beater", it's better in auto form. I already have an S2000 for shifting, its gear box is top-notch, so it is basically a summer fun car. Anyway, back to my question, how much slower? Not that I'm buying this car as a dragster, but still I wonder how much an auto is slower than a manual. It doesn't hurt to wonder.

Btw, I'm getting white diamond (pearl white) with parchment/beige, whatever. Man, this car is like the most value for the money. For only low $30K, it comes with EVERYTHING, and the quality is excellent, that's besides the renowned reliability. Had it been an AWD car, it'd be even better. But as a winter ride, FWD is better than RWD in my case.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:02 AM
Intermediate

Hewwo?!!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Safety Car

from magazine publications the 5AT clocked 0-60 times at around 6.7 seconds while the 6MT has gotten as fast as 5.7. even tho you are using the car as a winter "beater" the auto doesn't necessarily mean it will give you better traction in the snow. you can control a 6MT just as well in the snow as an 5AT.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Intermediate

Wow! A whole second slower? Interesting! But I still get an auto...I was just curious.

It's not about control in the snow, it's about hassle-free drives in the winter and traffic; no need to deal with shifting and clutch, etc. Oh, and yes, auto is easier to control on snow, trust me.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol winter beater

Why get a TL if winter is that bad get an awd car or suv. Makes more sense.
Mine winter car is a 4runner. It is much better in snow than a TL 4WD with hi and lo and locking center differential. You're not going to have the EL42 issues either. Those tires suck in the snow..

So if you get a tl for a winter beater, be prepared to but a set of tires on it..
Old 02-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EnigmaofTL
Hewwo?!!
Huwa!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:53 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen times for the 6MT as low as 5.9 sec 0-60 and 14 sec in the 1/4-mile. However, I think those numbers are a little aggressive. I lean more towards the average times published in most magazines which is 6.2 sec 0-60 and 14.3 sec in the 1/4-mile. Of course, it all comes down to the driver and the conditions. Numbers published in a magazine don't amount to much since you weren't the one driving. The same thing goes for HP ratings. Many people get all hyped up on horses and forget about torque, traction, and the weight of the car.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Best 0-60 time reported in a magazine was Car and Driver. They managed 5.6 seconds with a quarter mile of 14.3 at 99 MPH. The car was an A-Spec, but as you know, there is no difference in power or drive train.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

To the last two posters, I didn't ask for the times of 6-sp MT. Apparently, I've signed on to a forum that lacks reading comprehension. But what am I to expect? The American education system keeps depreciating. I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but please read before replying to some posts.

No, winter here doesn't involve snow, but more like rains and chilliness. I need a car that's comfortable and relaxing to drive in the rainy and cold winter, and the TL fits the bill. The Pilot was very comfy to drive, but it drinks gas. The S2000, of course, it's not very comfy to drive in the rainy and cold winter.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Instructor

To the last two posters, I didn't ask for the times of 6-sp MT. Apparently, I've signed on to a forum that lacks reading comprehension. But what am I to expect? The American education system keeps depreciating. I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but please read before replying to some posts.
I mean, if it looks like a duck, squawks like a duck, and otherwise acts like a duck, then, by golly, I think it IS a duck!

Seriously, I don't think those two posters meant any harm...I think they were trying to be helpful. Chill out a bit...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cccjoecool
I mean, if it looks like a duck, squawks like a duck, and otherwise acts like a duck, then, by golly, I think it IS a duck!

Seriously, I don't think those two posters meant any harm...I think they were trying to be helpful. Chill out a bit...
Are you calling me a duck? That may be, but sometimes it just pisses me off when people would reply without reading. But yes, I'll chill out. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:40 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

No, winter here doesn't involve snow, but more like rains and chilliness. I need a car that's comfortable and relaxing to drive in the rainy and cold winter, and the TL fits the bill. The Pilot was very comfy to drive, but it drinks gas. The S2000, of course, it's not very comfy to drive in the rainy and cold winter.
Oh, so I guess we are only allowed to respond to the original post and nothing else. Whatever! And yes, you sounded just like what you didn't mean to sound like.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,152 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Don't expect much better mileage from a Pilot to a TL. My wife has a Pilot and we average ~20MPG in mixed suburban driving. I've only had my TL a week, and get ~23 for similar driving and it requires premium. For a winter beater a Accord may be cheaper .

Old 02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

By the way, didn't you ask in your original post, "How much slower is the auto than the manual?" Duh.

I haven't seen the times for the auto so I posted those for the manual, hoping that someone else could post for the auto.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Shift_faster

Relax. People are trying to help you. You did ask about the difference in speed. A few people posted the times of an auto, and a few posted about the manual. You seem set on getting an auto, so go for it. You were curious about how much slower so people told you.

I think the Camry or Accord would be a better "beater" car with reasonable amounts of luxury.

Oh wait, you didn't ask for that did you? I guess I'm also guilty of lacking reading comprehension. I should get that checked out.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Apparently it will be about a .5 second difference in acceleration (unbiased reasoning). This means manual is CAPABLE of - 5.7 to 6.3 0-60mph, auto - 6.3 - 6.8 0-60mph. But you have to remember (and why i have CAPABLE in caps), most manual drivers are unable to achieve anything faster than the auto stomp most of the time anyway (.2 second delay on a shift or two will equate to the same acceleration).
Old 02-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Intermediate

Alright, alright, sorry for "lashing out"! :p Can we kiss and make up now? Hehe...just kidding!

Anyway, the reason I'm getting a TL is like most of yours, it's beautiful, imo. And for low $30K, it comes with lots of standard features. Honda's reliability is good too. So for looks (and "prestige"), I'd prefer it over an Accord and Camry.

As for the gas mileage, my Pilot was lucky to get 18 mpg on average. I'm not expecting to get the Prius' level of gas mileage from the TL, but it should still be better than even my S2000. TL: 20/29 mpg. Not bad! My S2000 gets about 24 mpg on average with normal driving. I expect the TL to get at least that, which is not bad.

So conclusively, I'm not only getting a TL for gas mileage (or to drive in the snow, which is not very frequent here), but I'm getting it for the overall package it presents--looks, power, features and amenities, quality, reliability, comfort, decent gas mileage, etc. It sounds like a pretty damn good car and I can't wait to own it. However, I'm going to miss hauling my 140-lb dog in the Pilot. What am I going to do? The TL will be too small and luxurious to be hauling him. That is the only set-back.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

TL for a winter "Beater" and a S2000 for a fun summer car?? I was going to buy an S2000 untill I drove it and found out that its kinda slow. I agree the TL isn't a speed machine but using it as a winter beater is wrong. I use mine as a summer daily driver.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To EnigmaofTL;

I would venture to say I probably received a better education that did you. The public schools had not made it into the toilet by the time I graduated from high school. And Virginia has among the best primary and secondary public schools in the entire nation.

That being said, your own question, "How much slower is the auto than the manual" begs an answer of performance information. Your attitude is certainly not going to win you friends nor will it ingratiate you with the members of this forum.

You might try a little civility.. it could go a long way to help you here and in life.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Instructor

This guy sounds like a troll anyway. Using a TL as a winter beater? Berating members in such a few posts is a sure mark of an internet troll.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shodog
This guy sounds like a troll anyway. Using a TL as a winter beater? Berating members in such a few posts is a sure mark of an internet troll.
I sound like a troll? No, you moron, I sound like a mature, educated guy. You, on the other hand, sound like a loser. I tried to make nice, but moronic members like you just piss me off and irritate me. If you tried to instigate me, I will have no problem bashing you. After all, I'm a pretty feisty guy.

There is nothing wrong with using a FWD sedan as a winter beater to drive in the wet and cold season. Moron!

Here's my S2000, in case your moronic mind thinks I'm just playing and lying on here. I'll take pix of my TL once it's here.

Southerboy, if you've had received a degree higher than my Master's degree with Magna Cum Laude in Mathematics, then yes, chances are that you may have had a better education. What say you? I don't claim to be the smartest, most educated person, but I certainly am not your typical trash that's found on car forums.

So who wants to make nice and who wants to fight me? I have no problem with either.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alpine97tt
TL for a winter "Beater" and a S2000 for a fun summer car?? I was going to buy an S2000 untill I drove it and found out that its kinda slow. I agree the TL isn't a speed machine but using it as a winter beater is wrong. I use mine as a summer daily driver.
You OBVIOUSLY have not driven an S2000, or you don't know how to drive a car, period! There are only a handful of cars that could compete with S2000 in the fun factor, for any amount of money. You obviously lied out of your ass. If you knew how to drive an S2000, it's not slow. In fact, it would beat out a TL; and it would murder the TL in handling and funness.

What's wrong with using a FWD sedan as a winter beater? What the hell is WRONG with you guys? I sincerely don't know what the hell is wrong with you guys. A FWD sedan is excellent for driving in the rainy and cold climate, and even more so, the TL is comfortable and accomodating at that. Use your damn TL for whatever you want, but I'm going to use mine as a winter beater, for it's a comfortable and accomodating FWD sedan. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOUR MENTALITY? I'm perplexed by it. Comes summer time, I'll drive my S2000 with the top down, cuz that's what the car is meant to be for.

I'll tell you what, since you're from WA, if you have a stock TL, I'll race you for money with my S2000 and show you how slow it is. Learn how to drive. 99.9999999% of people in this world wouldn't know how to drive an S2000 if a gun was put to their heads. It is not a push-and-go car. It takes precision and quick reflexes.

Anyway, I've had it with you damn little kids.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

I apologize to the members who are mature and respectful. I apologize for lashing out. But for those who tried to trash-talk me, I certainly have no problem with trash-talking back. Troll my ass!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Instructor

You absolutely right Enema. You are much smarter than any of the people here on the board. I can tell your smarter by the way you can call me a moron and a loser in the same paragraph. I guess it takes one to know one.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shodog
You absolutely right Enema. You are much smarter than any of the people here on the board. I can tell your smarter by the way you can call me a moron and a loser in the same paragraph. I guess it takes one to know one.
Like I said, I don't claim, and never have, to be the smartest or most educated anywhere. But when someone who doesn't know me starts to call me a troll or whatever, since I tried to make nice, it doesn't fly with me.

Anway, let's all drop it. I'm not a troll and you're not a moron. Let's all just drop it. I found out what I came for, so let's stop this bickering thing. Normally, I can be a very nice and cool guy, but I do have a side of feistiness that comes out once in a while. So, yeah, sorry! I'm trying to be nice again, so let's leave it at that.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not here to bash on the TL or any of you. I'm fond of the TL and that's why I'm putting out over $30K of my hard-earned money to buy one.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I sound like a troll? No, you moron, I sound like a mature, educated guy. You, on the other hand, sound like a loser. I tried to make nice, but moronic members like you just piss me off and irritate me. If you tried to instigate me, I will have no problem bashing you. After all, I'm a pretty feisty guy.

There is nothing wrong with using a FWD sedan as a winter beater to drive in the wet and cold season. Moron!

Here's my S2000, in case your moronic mind thinks I'm just playing and lying on here. I'll take pix of my TL once it's here.

Southerboy, if you've had received a degree higher than my Master's degree with Magna Cum Laude in Mathematics, then yes, chances are that you may have had a better education. What say you? I don't claim to be the smartest, most educated person, but I certainly am not your typical trash that's found on car forums.

So who wants to make nice and who wants to fight me? I have no problem with either.
"if you've had received"

Typical math major in that he has the grammatical skills of a seven year old. LOL. Masters degree in Math notwithstanding, I bet this guy still socially conveys the image of a HS diploma lacking loser.

(Sorry for the necroposting, but I couldn't resist this one)
Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c

I bet this guy still socially conveys the image of a HS diploma lacking loser.
You are giving this guy way to much credit.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
GET A Manual !!!
Old 02-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by anx1300c
"if you've had received"

Typical math major in that he has the grammatical skills of a seven year old. LOL. Masters degree in Math notwithstanding, I bet this guy still socially conveys the image of a HS diploma lacking loser.

(Sorry for the necroposting, but I couldn't resist this one)
You must be bored to dig up a 3 year old thread.

By the way, he has been gone for 3 years as well so I don't think he will get the message.