3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Really? My parents wanted a laserdisc so bad because karaoke...

My parents despised karaoke. Both were college profs and so, bookworms who cared very little for "frivolous entertainment". They were very "typical" Taiwanese-type parents (i.e. watching FoB was like reliving my childhood esp. with the way they portray the Mom) but also very atypical meaning that they did not watch soaps or karaoke.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:17 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
You get Hepatitis-B, why not Hepatitis-A?
The following users liked this post:
polobunny (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha

My parents despised karaoke. Both were college profs and so, bookworms who cared very little for "frivolous entertainment". They were very "typical" Taiwanese-type parents (i.e. watching FoB was like reliving my childhood esp. with the way they portray the Mom) but also very atypical meaning that they did not watch soaps or karaoke.

Son why you have fun and you no study?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:22 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
When was the lamb sacrifice?

Pretty sure my parents did similar. Like hey why not go out, get married, have kids all in 2 years tops when we're 20?

And here I am, 27 and single.
Its goat sacrifice, get your shit right

butttt, gotta love goat curry

yeah my dad got on my case when I turned 25...he had very very valid points to getting married early (in India, retirement age is set at 58, so its common to get married early, that way you have kids out of college and settled by the time you hit 50...you dont want to pay their college out of your retirement fund)...

but the tradition there was different back in the day...you bring the wifey home to your parents...so you dont have to worry about financials tooo much...you already have a roof on your head (until recently, there were nooo loans, you want to buy a car, you pay it full when you buy it...same with house)...also you have a steady income coming in...

but things have changed soooo much in the past 8-10 years...now people are moving away from the nest and building their own nest, hence they take couple more years to settle down and get married...

either way, I think its more of a personal preference...A local couple have been dating for ~8 years (if am not mistaken) and both dont want to get married...they love how things are...they have a house together and just like it that way....I think as long as you can find happiness, it doesnt matter if you are single/dating/swinging/married/renting/etc...
polobunny (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by swoosh

yeah my dad got on my case when I turned 25...he had very very valid points to getting married early (in India, retirement age is set at 58, so its common to get married early, that way you have kids out of college and settled by the time you hit 50...you dont want to pay their college out of your retirement fund)...

but the tradition there was different back in the day...you bring the wifey home to your parents...so you dont have to worry about financials tooo much...you already have a roof on your head (until recently, there were nooo loans, you want to buy a car, you pay it full when you buy it...same with house)...also you have a steady income coming in...

but things have changed soooo much in the past 8-10 years...now people are moving away from the nest and building their own nest, hence they take couple more years to settle down and get married...

either way, I think its more of a personal preference...A local couple have been dating for ~8 years (if am not mistaken) and both dont want to get married...they love how things are...they have a house together and just like it that way....I think as long as you can find happiness, it doesnt matter if you are single/dating/swinging/married/renting/etc...
Hey lamb is tender.

Things have changed a lot in the past 10-15 years, not just for India. It's not uncommon to wait until 30 to have kids, get married, that sort of stuff. If you didn't do it by 21 back then you were considered abnormal.

Agree with you, only happiness matters.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Registered Bunny

nfn is onto the 91 thread. it's gonna happen
Old 04-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Old 04-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts

indeed. or goat biryani..
Hey lamb is tender.
Goat is very tender too after it's been cooked for hours into perfection

Old 04-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Son why you have fun and you no study?
Sounds about right.

Guess who had to practice piano for 2 hours right after skoo each day? Me.

Guess who had to go to art classes on Saturdays for 3 hours after being dragged along to participate in "family time" by running errands (i.e. groceries) with my parents? Me.

In all, while I can laugh and say I appreciate what they did to me back then now, I hated it as a kid. HATED IT. There were times I loathed by Old Man. I resented having to do additional/supplementary math/science work and/or practicing when all my buddies were out playing or at the mall. Kinda weird how life is...you understand it about 20 years too late...and too late to say thanks.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Majofo
I don't give a faaaawk Keysha!

Sounds about right.

Guess who had to go to art classes on Saturdays for 3 hours after being dragged along to participate in "family time" by running errands (i.e. groceries) with my parents? Me.

In all, while I can laugh and say I appreciate what they did to me back then now, I hated it as a kid. HATED IT. There were times I loathed by Old Man. I resented having to do additional/supplementary math/science work and/or practicing when all my buddies were out playing or at the mall. Kinda weird how life is...you understand it about 20 years too late...and too late to say thanks.
You know I wish I had that sort of parental guidance sometimes. Not saying as severe, but to say my mom was "too nice" to her kids is an understatement. Some of the events in my life would have been easier to deal with if I had been more diligent with the efforts I put into them. Same for my brother and 2 sisters.

Oh and goat is good. Any indian food I like. Got my ex into it last year for her birthday, now she can't get enough.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:04 PM

You know I wish I had that sort of parental guidance sometimes.
Never too late.. come over to my house..
Once your ass goes black, you never sit back.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 160 Posts
Truer words than that last sentence have never been spoken, Yummy!
Yumcha (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

food is tasty...but, I can't consume it daily since I end up with the washroom all day especially with richer curry dishes.

I do enjoy tandoori quite a bit...that does not do as much funky stuff to my digestion.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Sounds about right.

My gf did piano since she was 4 and now is finishing up to become a music teacher. She hated it growing up to but it definitely gave her a strong foundation for her career..

Similar yet different case for me. I actually begged for piano lessons because I wanted to learn but no $$$ I think I really gave my family a lot
grief for never $ for toys, $ for hobbies, etc etc... but I never saw the fact that they probably worked their asses off for getting food on the table, roof over my head, and clothes on my back. Also that struggle sort of gave me the drive to hustle, i guess.

So being the proper kid, it's now my job to pay them back with interest.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

My parents were pretty lenient. But, my dad taught me the value of a dollar very early in life. Sure son, you want $100 shoes? Here's the lawn mower! After you cut the grass once a week for 2 mths and save the money, you'll be able to afford them. And, he had plenty of money. He just wasn't going to feed me with a silver spoon. That's the problem with kids these days. Most of them are just lazy and want things handed to them.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Your father doesn't need thanks and neither will you H. His job was to set you on a good path. Sometimes that backfires but it sounds like he hit all the marks. Maybe he wishes you were a doctor instead.. but I'd say you're doing pretty well and he'd be proud, whether or not he ever expressed it. You might not rule lil cha's life with an iron fist , but he still might hate you at times. If that makes him better prepared when he's on his own and about to start his own family, that's the greatest reward.. knowing they're going to be okay when you're gone.

Yumcha (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 04:26 PM

My mom laffs when I tell her how much the bamboo chopsticks hurt when I was young.. like shut up pussy.

Dad had an iron stare.. he always worked.. sometimes wouldn't see him for days if he was on a case, but know when that report card got in.. I better have had my shit together. I got a midterm report with a C in maffs because senioritis.. didn't talks to me for weeks. At least I didn't get beat.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM

Whoop their ass early.. and they'll always fear it (the stare). Be prepared to whoop that ass again tho..
Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

If that makes him better prepared when he's on his own and about to start his own family, that's the greatest reward.. knowing they're going to be okay when you're gone.

horry sheit.... such wisdom for a wednesday...
Old 04-22-2015, 04:30 PM

I will say that Math is indeed money. The more you have, the farther you go.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maj is always full of wisdom... Real talk!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

My mom laffs when I tell her how much the bamboo chopsticks hurt when I was young.. like shut up pussy.

Dad had an iron stare.. he always worked.. sometimes wouldn't see him for days if he was on a case, but know when that report card got in.. I better have had my shit together. I got a midterm report with a C in maffs because senioritis.. didn't talks to me for weeks. At least I didn't get beat.
My Mom's "abuse" weapon of choice was the metal coat-hangars...the ones you get from dry-cleaners. My parents never threw them out (fark, my entire closet was lined with them to hang my clothes) and so, whenever I got disobedient, she would storm off to reach for one and beat me repeatedly with it. She also had those extra long and thick noodle chopsticks that she used...and oh, I was beat with a soup ladle before too.

My old man, did not beat me as often as my Mom but, his voice thundered and when he got angry, that look was often scary...In other scenarios, I did get beat by my Pops and while I won't go and spout how strong he is (my dad can beat up your dad BS), he was in shape given all the time he did with taichi and other -type exercises. He just used his hand and well, THOSE hurt...I still remember I had the outline of his hand on my skin after he slapped me.

Yeahhh...good times.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 PM

Hey lamb is tender.

Things have changed a lot in the past 10-15 years, not just for India. It's not uncommon to wait until 30 to have kids, get married, that sort of stuff. If you didn't do it by 21 back then you were considered abnormal.

Agree with you, only happiness matters.
Baby goat is what you want...trust me on this...and get the legs, more and tender meat hides there

Its good to know things have changed everywhere...since I wasnt here 15 years back, didnt want to generalize it...I shall celebrate my 10th year this August

I am right thurrr with ya brother...I owe it all to that "extra" work and them beatings...

I recently read this somewhere "by the time you realize your dad was right, you have a kid telling you, dad you are wrong"

that thing hit home...I never fail to express my love to padre...I see how some folks shy away from hugging their dads, shit not me...I hug the crap out of him, even till date...

Oh and goat is good. Any indian food I like. Got my ex into it last year for her birthday, now she can't get enough.
so your ex cant get enough of Indian eh

noodz of mentioned ex...inbox cleared!

food is tasty...but, I can't consume it daily since I end up with the washroom all day especially with richer curry dishes.

I do enjoy tandoori quite a bit...that does not do as much funky stuff to my digestion.
hahaha...I have a strong digestive system, but at times I have a similar reaction to mexican food..anytime I am not feeling too good, I eat mexican food and it clears out my internal

indeed. or goat biryani..

Goat is very tender too after it's been cooked for hours into perfection
come on over for some...my mother in law is here and she is a darn good cook...
Yumcha (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Pek pek
Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

Who wants a BJ???
Old 04-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

My gf did piano since she was 4 and now is finishing up to become a music teacher. She hated it growing up to but it definitely gave her a strong foundation for her career..

Similar yet different case for me. I actually begged for piano lessons because I wanted to learn but no $$$ I think I really gave my family a lot
grief for never $ for toys, $ for hobbies, etc etc... but I never saw the fact that they probably worked their asses off for getting food on the table, roof over my head, and clothes on my back. Also that struggle sort of gave me the drive to hustle, i guess.

So being the proper kid, it's now my job to pay them back with interest.
Yeah, so my Dad's English was unfortunately, his downfall in NA. IMO, I now know he was a brilliant scientist but was held back by language. He could communicate fine but for some reason, the late 80s and early 90s were tough for him...he ultimately got laid off and after trying his hand in a variety of jobs, he gave up and took up a position as vice-dean at a college in Tainan.

Of course, the hard part was leaving his family behind in NA. So, as a kid, where my priorities was video games and felt little appreciation for schoolwork and the extra curricular activities they enrolled me in, I often did not put in the proper effort to meet their expectations. Now that I'm a family man, I can say this, if I had to be torn away from my wife and kid to put $$$ on the table for them, it would kill me. Working in Taiwan is, IMO, ultimately what ended my Dad's life prematurely at the age of 50.

And again, per what I wrote earlier, I now know and am grateful for the high standards they held me too in school and in conduct. I have snarked about the racial difficulties in the past and honestly, in my assessment, it is still true since it is tough to climb the positional ladder in a white-dominated society. I've personally experienced and have seen others taken ahead of minorities when all things are equal. I stand by this.

That being said? I would not be where I am and earning a very comfortable living if it were not for my academics and how my rents brought me up.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Who wants a BJ???
Are you giving it?
Old 04-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I am right thurrr with ya brother...I owe it all to that "extra" work and them beatings...

I recently read this somewhere "by the time you realize your dad was right, you have a kid telling you, dad you are wrong"

that thing hit home...I never fail to express my love to padre...I see how some folks shy away from hugging their dads, shit not me...I hug the crap out of him, even till date...

hahaha...I have a strong digestive system, but at times I have a similar reaction to mexican food..anytime I am not feeling too good, I eat mexican food and it clears out my internal
Amen, Kumar. As nicely as how our rents raised us, I'm still intent on raiding Fort Knox and stealing our $$$$ for that Poopdick McFartington and etc.

Yeah, I figured you Desis have iron stomach. I forget, are you northern or southern...? Over here, it's pretty much all northern Indians and for the odd person from the south I encounter, they say that the south is very much different and if I love seafood...helloooooo.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:54 PM

Amen, Kumar. As nicely as how our rents raised us, I'm still intent on raiding Fort Knox and stealing our $$$$ for that Poopdick McFartington and etc.

Yeah, I figured you Desis have iron stomach. I forget, are you northern or southern...? Over here, it's pretty much all northern Indians and for the odd person from the south I encounter, they say that the south is very much different and if I love seafood...helloooooo.

am from Bombay (called Mumbai now but fuck that I love calling it Bombay)...

Its the biggest metro and the financial capital (like NYC), so anything north of us is North India and anything south is Southern India...so am from right in the middle (not technically but I bet you feel the emotion )

But yeah, the foods are totally different...The Northern guys like flavor and Rotis/Nan etc, the Southern guys like flavor and spiced up food and they love Rice...

India being a peninsula, you will get seafood pretty much anywhere, YOU'RE WELCOME !!!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

am from Bombay (called Mumbai now but fuck that I love calling it Bombay)...

Its the biggest metro and the financial capital (like NYC), so anything north of us is North India and anything south is Southern India...so am from right in the middle (not technically but I bet you feel the emotion )

But yeah, the foods are totally different...The Northern guys like flavor and Rotis/Nan etc, the Southern guys like flavor and spiced up food and they love Rice...

India being a peninsula, you will get seafood pretty much anywhere, YOU'RE WELCOME !!!

Ah-so...!

I would love to try some genuine southern Indian food sometime. Maybe if I visit a larger city, I can look up a joint next time.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Are you giving it?
I was going to send a co worker over, but you missed it by 2 minutes.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I was going to send a co worker over, but you missed it by 2 minutes.
He/she hawt?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Ah-so...!

I would love to try some genuine southern Indian food sometime. Maybe if I visit a larger city, I can look up a joint next time.
all Indian restaurants cater to both kinds

now if you really want to have good food, try an Indo-Chinese joint...ooomph...

Schezwan Chicken Fried Rice with Chicken manchurian

Dont forget them Chicken lollipops :slurp:
Old 04-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
My parents were super strict with my brother. I remember him getting the shit beat out of him on the regular when I was very young. Bad report card? Beat his ass with the leather belt until he couldn't sit on it for the next 4 days. Want to use the bathroom? Here's a 5 gallon bucket half full of water in your bedroom. Get back to studying

He didn't knock a few trees down for me... he paved an 8 lane highway for me. Smooth sailing ahead! But because of it all, he always rebelled against them. I was the good kid in comparison and as such, I was rewarded for my efforts. I didn't want to endure half the shit my parents put him through, so I did good in school, amongst other things.

That's not to say I didn't have my fair share of dumbass moments growing up, doing things my parents would have beat me to within one inch of my life if they knew

One thing I hated was having to go to immigrant school on Saturdays. All my friends played sports on Saturdays, while I had the pleasure of learning to read/write/talk Polish and learn about Polish history. For fuck sakes...

Last edited by TacoBello; 04-22-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

come on over for some...my mother in law is here and she is a darn good cook...
Will she still be there during the National Meat? I may have a great excuse to go to KC if that were the case :P Oh and try out the infamous Joe's KC (aka Oklahoma Joe's)

Yeah, so my Dad's English was unfortunately, his downfall in NA. IMO, I now know he was a brilliant scientist but was held back by language. He could communicate fine but for some reason, the late 80s and early 90s were tough for him...he ultimately got laid off and after trying his hand in a variety of jobs, he gave up and took up a position as vice-dean at a college in Tainan.

Of course, the hard part was leaving his family behind in NA. So, as a kid, where my priorities was video games and felt little appreciation for schoolwork and the extra curricular activities they enrolled me in, I often did not put in the proper effort to meet their expectations. Now that I'm a family man, I can say this, if I had to be torn away from my wife and kid to put $$$ on the table for them, it would kill me. Working in Taiwan is, IMO, ultimately what ended my Dad's life prematurely at the age of 50.

And again, per what I wrote earlier, I now know and am grateful for the high standards they held me too in school and in conduct. I have snarked about the racial difficulties in the past and honestly, in my assessment, it is still true since it is tough to climb the positional ladder in a white-dominated society. I've personally experienced and have seen others taken ahead of minorities when all things are equal. I stand by this.

That being said? I would not be where I am and earning a very comfortable living if it were not for my academics and how my rents brought me up.
The 'rents definitely instilled hard work/good work ethic and good morals in us. Mine never 'made it big' in America but I still came home to a full dinner every night and a bed to sleep in, and for that I should be eternally grateful; some don't even have that...
Old 04-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Registered Bunny

"Cooking" one of those oven premade pizzas. I feel like I'm 20 and don't know how to cook. This better be a decent culinary experience hahaha
Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
"Cooking" one of those oven premade pizzas. I feel like I'm 20 and don't know how to cook. This better be a decent culinary experience hahaha
It will be, if it's Delicio

Don't they have a money back guarantee or some shit? Take them up on it!!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Speaking of indian! Eating paneer tikka masala from trader joes for dinner!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Team Owner

Yummy,

Depends on who I send. I keep some for myself.

I didn't see the girl at the gym today.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by TacoBello
It will be, if it's Delicio

Don't they have a money back guarantee or some shit? Take them up on it!!
it is Delissio actually. I don't see any guarantee on it, maybe it's something for the squareheads only, us Frenchies would keep claiming our money back with our refined taste. *snob*

I'm really not sure about this. They said put it straight on the grill... I'm scared it'll go through and mess up my oven.

We'll see in 15 minutes if it's edible. Then gonna watch the game, habs are going to eliminate the sens.

Quick Reply: The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)