3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006+ (ALL NEW THREADS DEALING WITH 06+ TL WILL BE MERGED HERE) OFFICIAL SPECS PG. 11

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps on the next major revision of the TL, they will add an updated version of the RLs SH-AWD which they will call: Super Handling Improved Traction-AWD. Hmmm. I wonder what acronym they will use.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EleVatE
does the RL have a iPod Interface?

not sure
Old 12-21-2004, 01:18 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Granticus
I would hope they finally getting around to adding the ability to play mp3s.
Finally a rational thought. I think most of you are just plain dreaming. They arent gonna add 10hp with an Aspec kit (where would it come from?), they arent gonna add AWD (yet), they arent gonna add side blinking mirrors (our front signals are mounted on the outside corner and we have side markers already, blinking mirrors is too much crap on the car.)

Here are some easily do-able things I have thought of. I have a connection to someone over at Honda R&D and I will be sending these + Any REASONABLE ideas I see in here to him and he will fwd on to the TL R&D Mgr.

1) MP3s - as said by Granticus, this is a GREAT idea. A "Stage 1" would be MP3 on CD-R, if they really wanetd to step up, "Stage 2" would be MP3 on DVD-R or DVD+R. As we all know, this is really up to Panasonic to implement, but with enough pressure from Acura, it could happen.

2) Auto Switch to Radio on NAV Models - Something that bugs me is on my NAVI, wheny ou start her up, if you had the radio on before it comes right back on, even before the NAV Screen has gotten to the Warning screen and long before the OK Button appears. 20-30 seconds after OK Appears the whole screen goes black if you dont pres OK. Why the hell cant they just switch to the radio interface instead of going black, if the radio is on. Then later on when you press Menu or Map, you get the OK Screen again and have to press OK to continue. When your on radio view and you turn it off, it switches to NAV view automatically, so this cant be thathard to implement.

3) Easier NAV "Personal Address Book entry" - Ability to add a location to your Personal Address Book from the screen where they show you the Address and Phone Number and you press OK to start plotting the route. Getting something entered and then realizing you have to go into Setup screen 2 to find the buried Add to Address Book and enter all that crap again is ridiculous.

4) Larger Glove Box - That thing is tiny and barely fits the Owner Manual set in the little binder. They seem to have wanted a more finished look than a Plastic bucket, but they wasted a TON of space in there.

5) Power Plug in Center Armrest Always ON - This is the Most probable location of your Cell Charger plug, and they did all the work to allow your cell to sit on the upper tray, but the plug is then only on when the car is. If they can leave the lights on for 30 seconds and have all these other electronics on after the car shuts off, the trickle of your cell phone shouldnt be enough to run down the car's battery. Perhaps if they hate this idea, they could put a switch somewhere in the car that flips this port from always On to on with engine.

Thats what I have so far.
If you guys have any other REASONABLE changes, please post them here and after new years I will send the list to my contact. THINK SMALL. He asked me specifically to promise I wont give out his info, so please dont bother asking.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
does the RL have a iPod Interface?

no, but it does play MP3 CDs
Old 12-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Instructor

So does anyone know if the SH on the RL (or would/could be TL) is the same or at least similar technology that was on the Honda Prelude?

Just if you didn't know, the Prelude came in two trims, the base and the SH, standing for "super handling" It used a box on the axis called ATTS which stood for Active Torque Transfer System. Any info on if its the same/similar?

http://hondaprelude.sitemynet.com/tech.html more info about the ATTS can be found there
Old 12-21-2004, 08:29 PM
I shift therefore I am

So does anyone know if the SH on the RL (or would/could be TL) is the same or at least similar technology that was on the Honda Prelude?

Just if you didn't know, the Prelude came in two trims, the base and the SH, standing for "super handling" It used a box on the axis called ATTS which stood for Active Torque Transfer System. Any info on if its the same/similar?

http://hondaprelude.sitemynet.com/tech.html more info about the ATTS can be found there
You could call what Prelude had as SH-FWD. Since Prelude was a FWD car, the torque transfer happened between the front two wheels.

RL, it happens across all the wheels, since it is AWD. Hence the name SH-AWD.

My !
Old 12-22-2004, 12:46 AM
Intermediate

Here are my suggestions. Some of them are reasonable.
I would prefer a simple mini jack audio input for the stereo to hook to an ipod rather than the mp3 cd reader (or in addition to). most of my music is mp4 by now, it probably will be mpeg5 by the time they get around to adding mp3 cd support. and the compressed audio formats will keep changing. granted, it would be nice to have it read windows media, mp3, mp4, everything current, (like my 60 dollar dvd player) but you can't plan ahead with file formats that aren't invented, so just give an input too. and put it in the bin, not the face of the stereo.

compatability with dvda AND sacd would be nice.

it would be nice if the nav could learn, (am i going overboard yet?) and you could send corrected road data, or places with wrong data for them to check up on via satellite to be corrected on the next disc. or, a hard drive based nav system that could download updated map data whenever it was available. that's certainly feasible.
a tire pressure monitor. (duh?)
and I want the voice commands: "are we there yet?" and "shut up!"
-pardon?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Two words - Station Wagon!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:25 AM
2005 TL SSM/Quartz

I would like to know if anyone knows there will be any additional exterior colors for the TL in 06?

I just think they need more than what they have now.

:padlock:
Old 12-28-2004, 11:31 PM
7th Gear

Any info on changes to the '06 TL??

I'm debating on whether or not to wait and see what the '06 TL will be all about. Does anyone have any idea on anything different between the '05 and '06 TL. I have the option of extending my lease until the '06 comes out, but if there aren't any changes due, I might buy an '05. I've seen in some posts people mentioning AWD as an option, as well as a few other maybes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.....
Old 12-28-2004, 11:34 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts

https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/toyota-close-replacing-ford-worlds-no-2-automaker-103475/
Old 12-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Gratis dictum

My uneducated guess is that as long as they (Honda/Acura) can sell as many as they can make, changes will be minimal at best. Look to 2008 for any substantial changes.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear

More torque please.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:37 PM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

I would love SH-AWD....and that iPod interface...!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Licking Platters Clean

I think you guys are all really missing the boat on this one. Forget traffic NAV, AWD, and Ipods. Acura is facing some real challenges in this market segment so if they are going to compete, they are going to need to get real and complete some major overhauls for '06. Here are just a few items from the punch list:

1) Reduce the size to that of a Civic, increase MSRP by $10k and reduce the reliability in order to better compete with BMW. There should also be a mini-van option as BMW will soon be rolling those out as well.

2) Overhaul the stylish interior with school-bus-orange lighting everywhere and reduce gas mileage to better compete with Infinity.

3) Soften the ride to boat-like quality, eliminate the current quick steering response, cut the horse power by 25% and option out everything at great expense including a $900 charge for XM to better compete with Lexus. This way Acura can afford dealership upgrades and we can shit on golden toilets while our wallets get ass-raped in service.

I could go on indefinitely with this list, but you see, I don't want to give Acura too much to do in one year. Clearly they are behind already.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Pro

JackSprat01:

That was kind of funny.
On a side note, it's spelled "Infiniti"
Old 01-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Jacksprat, best rebuttle ever!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLGen3
Yeah, I didn't exactly mean a complete face lift. But rather what sebounet2005 said, about maybe some fog lamps, or blinker mirrors similar to the RL. Stuff like that... less the 10hp comment.

The TL has fog lights, just not in the bumper. The set up is more like the first Gen TL's just that the lighting isn't yellow.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro

A horse power increase could happen as I've read were Honda purposely reduced the TL's motor to 270. However with the RL having 300 any higher increase with the TL is cloudy. SH-AWD can be added to ANY Global Mid-Size model with a V6 so the TL "could" get it. It would help in my opinion. The TL is already a great car now and handles fairly well, however I even admit that the front tires are at their limit when I drive my are around a curve marked 40mph and I do my best to push 60mph. I will say that VSA hasn't kicked in yet though. But with SH-AWD, now with the out side rear being spun faster to "push" the car through the turn....

I would like to see Keyless Access, pwr tilt/telescopic steering wheel, On-Star's return, and a pwr rear window sun shade. An update of the Nav to input street names by voice would be very helpful as I I hate having to try an type a street name and address on the go (and yes I know I can pull over but there aren't too many areas that I want to pull into just to type some letters and numbers). I do not care about Traffic info as Wichita is too small for such a feature nor do I care about the restaurant guide. I will say that a DVD option like the TSX's would be a great feature.

As for the tail lights getting a clear covers like the last gen's, well with the turn signals on the out side a clear cover just wouldn't look right. Now if Acura were to use the look of the ASPEC concept, that would work. The covers were clear with the turn signals, tail/break lamps and reflectors remaining red. New front turn sigals would be a good change as the current one's are too old looking comparied to the TSX's round signals, the RL's below the lamp cluster look. Even the Accord has a more modern turnsignal look.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see i-VTEC finally, DOHC and timing chain.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Saintor
I wouldn't be surprised to see i-VTEC finally, DOHC and timing chain.
i-VTEC on any of their V6's would be nice since the rest of the Automotive world has caught on to Honda's trick and is now doing Honda one better with timing on intake and exhaust as well as the ability to have the extra "punch" right now instead of waiting till the engine reaches a certain fixed RMP.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:25 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
COOLED seats. My bro-in-law just bought an '04 Lincoln LS V8 (12K miles,$27k!) and his seats are cooled AND heated, though not at the same time. Worked great in an '04 Expedition I test drove this summer. Also, it has memory seats, pedals AND steering wheel. Very cool to see that in motion. We could use those things on the Acura, no?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fast-tl
COOLED seats. My bro-in-law just bought an '04 Lincoln LS V8 (12K miles,$27k!) and his seats are cooled AND heated, though not at the same time. Worked great in an '04 Expedition I test drove this summer. Also, it has memory seats, pedals AND steering wheel. Very cool to see that in motion. We could use those things on the Acura, no?
The new Oddy has pwr pedals. I'd be willing to bet that the next MDX Touring adds pwr pedals and steering wheel to the memory system that will also expand on what the RL has.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by jwaters943
JackSprat01:

That was kind of funny.
On a side note, it's spelled "Infiniti"
Ha, yeah, I know that, just rattled it off at the time.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Gratis dictum

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
The TL has fog lights, just not in the bumper. The set up is more like the first Gen TL's just that the lighting isn't yellow.
Canadian TLs do not have fog lights. In Canada, the fogs have been replaced with DRLs to conform to Canadas vehicle lighting laws.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

I want a keypad phone dialer in the nav so i dont have to say the number to it 5 times before it gets it right. or bluetooth address book sync with my phone.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Saintor
DOHC and timing chain.

and change their name to Nissan
Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cTLgo
and change their name to Nissan
Doesn't the 2.4L i-4 in the Accord and TSX have a timing chain?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah, the keyless ignition would be great....be even nicer if they could make it retro-fittable for 04-05 models!

A minor point at best....but I'd like to see the demise of that high-tech, state-of-the-art cassette deck. Then we'd HAVE the input needed for mp3 or iPod use!

Perhaps another 100 watts of power in the sound system so you can hear it when the windows are open?

I'd like to see the cooled seats happen, too......a great help in June/July/August!

Another minor point.....make an adjustment so that the coin holder doesn't spill all your change when you use it in the driver's side storage area. Stronger springs perhaps?

Fold-down back seat? The pass-thru thing is nearly useless. I honestly don't miss MUCH about my old Mazda 626...but I do miss that!

All in all though.....this is still one sweet ride! I love my TL!
Old 01-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Any info on the 2006 TL?

Hey guys, I'm in the Marines and I'm going to Iraq for about a year so. I'm going to return my TL (it's a lease). It breaks my heart to get rid of my TL, but it's pointless for me to paying for it when I'm going to be gone for so long.

But, I really want to get another one when I get back, so I was wandering if anyone has heard or seen what the 06 TL is going to look like, and if any changes.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Question Get 05 or wait til 06

I have not yet purchased a TL, but plan on getting one very soon. I've read treads about Acura's survey. Will most of these features be on the 06 and be a big change from the 05. Is it worth the wait???

-Thanx
Old 01-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No one has any idea what's going to be on the 2006 TL, and all the threads you read on next year's model are pure speculation. If you're interested in the TL, just buy one when you're ready, whether that's now or in the fall. Personally, I don't expect much change, though I hope I'm wront about that.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Weapon X

I would suggest checking the threads from the 04 to the 05.. Yes they fixed a few things and mad a few modifications. Nothing major to show a big difference. Its kind of a gamble. The 06 may fix some of the 05 issues and then it may have a whole new set of issues.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I want to see ...

A 3.5 XL 325 HP in a coupe with all wheel drive. Then I would buy it....
Old 01-24-2005, 11:46 PM
2nd Gear

Question Onstar in '06 Acura TL??

Does anyone know or does anyone have inside information to whether the 06 TL will have Onstar included?? I have an 03 CL Type-S and Onstar saved my life. I want the next Acura I get to have it (Hope to be an 06 TL) b/c I cannot afford RL which has Onstar!!

THANKS FOR THE HELP
Old 01-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Racer

what did OnStar do for you?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
PTN
Instructor

same question here. as long as you have your cell phone, i don't see why you might need onstar? but maybe your situation is different?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They can do alot for you ... even unlock your doors remotely. Its pretty hard to lock yourself out of these cars but I am sure there are other functions that are worth while!
Old 01-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Instructor

I would'nt hold my breath waiting for a Type S on the 3rd gen car. They already have the ASPEC that the dealers make a ton of money on so don't expect them to give that up easily. Remember when the S was in production there was no Aspec around.
Tail light and head light changes. Maybe auto down on all the windows, some tweaking to the nav system and driver recognition starting are some likely candidates.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

to answer your question

Onstar saved my life. I was run off the road and into a ditch driving late on night by a drunk driver. I was bleeding internally. Onstar contacted me and I did not answer because I was knocked out. They sent an ambulance to me and I went to the hospital. The doctor said If I would have gotten there 10 minutes later I would be dead! ONSTAR saved my life and I will never own another vehicle without it. I guess I realize the true value being that this has happened to me!

Quick Reply: 2006+ (ALL NEW THREADS DEALING WITH 06+ TL WILL BE MERGED HERE) OFFICIAL SPECS PG. 11