Low Resolution Back Up Camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 01:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Low Resolution Back Up Camera

I have a 2015 RLX Tech. This is my 4th Acura with Navigation and Back Up Camera.

2005 RL Nav Tech - back up camera displayed high definition image. Sharp day or night. Loved it.

2009 TL Tech - back up camera displayed high definition image. Sharp day or night. Loved it.

2012 TL Tech - back up camera displayed high definition image. Sharp day or night. Loved it.

2015 RLX Tech - fuzzy, low resolution close to worthless image. Finally took it to service at Tustin Acura. Very nice folks. They tell me that the image is normative for the new RLX. They gave me a loaner of a TLX Tech V6. Same issue with the back up camera.

I think Acura has lost its way. It ponied up a few bucks for the folding mirrors and illuminated handles and degraded the back up camera. They have favored cosmetics over safety and utility. Acura is heading the wrong way. I am very displeased.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by 2x6spds
I have a 2015 RLX Tech. This is my 4th Acura with Navigation and Back Up Camera.

2005 RL Nav Tech - back up camera displayed high definition image. Sharp day or night. Loved it.

2009 TL Tech - back up camera displayed high definition image. Sharp day or night. Loved it.

2012 TL Tech - back up camera displayed high definition image. Sharp day or night. Loved it.

2015 RLX Tech - fuzzy, low resolution close to worthless image. Finally took it to service at Tustin Acura. Very nice folks. They tell me that the image is normative for the new RLX. They gave me a loaner of a TLX Tech V6. Same issue with the back up camera.

I think Acura has lost its way. It ponied up a few bucks for the folding mirrors and illuminated handles and degraded the back up camera. They have favored cosmetics over safety and utility. Acura is heading the wrong way. I am very displeased.
I open a thread on this topic a ways back, I own a 2015 Advance. I found the backup view is only fuzzy in no light environment where is low or lighted situation it is fine. I don't think the no light is good considering my wife Prius back up camera get a great view in all environment. But I am in no light situation rarely so i learned to live with it. The point is that you should only be getting fuzzy views in the no light enrollment and fine in others. If not I would take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

My 2005, 2009 and 2012 gave sharp, high resolution images. I could read the license plate of the car behind, night or day. The new backup camera is absolutely worthless in low light. In the daylight, the image is fuzzy and extremely low res.

Acura gave me a TLX Tech V6 loaner. Backup camera is just as bad.

Acura has lost its way. Marketing types traded a safety feature, high res backup camera, for folding mirrors and illuminated door handles. Shame on Acura for catering to poseurs.

The RLX is a decent car but not worth $55,000. I got mine for $45,000 so I don't feel burned. Compared to my 2005 RL the new car lacks the beautiful real wood trim, standard SH-AWD, most comfortable front seats, polished and stable handling, the ability to function properly at WOT, and supple suspension.

The new RLX is a bit quicker and has more rear seat leg room. What a trade-off.

What the heck is going on at Acura?

Originally Posted by woropallo
I open a thread on this topic a ways back, I own a 2015 Advance. I found the backup view is only fuzzy in no light environment where is low or lighted situation it is fine. I don't think the no light is good considering my wife Prius back up camera get a great view in all environment. But I am in no light situation rarely so i learned to live with it. The point is that you should only be getting fuzzy views in the no light enrollment and fine in others. If not I would take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
The following users liked this post:
Terry RL (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by 2x6spds
I have the same problem you have. I got used to the higher resolution cameras on previous Acuras and don't like the low res trend. If you look at the camera, it seems to be a module that would fit on a wide variety of vehicles, just requiring the proper aim.

Two more issues that I have:

(1)It can take too long for the lines to show up. My car says Ready to Drive immediately on touching the red button, but it can take quite a few seconds longer for the NAV to initialize, the nag screen to go away, and the car to be ready to show the rear view with the lines.

(2)It can take as much as three to four seconds for the camera to switch from its low light mode to its daylight mode when you're moving from darkness into daylight. This can leave you blind for those few seconds.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Hi George

Same here. Slow Nav, sometimes, I get turn instructions after it's too late to turn. Slow initialization, crappy bargain basement low res camera, and undistinguished fake wood trim. I like wood. At least they could have used a high quality fake wood and more of it.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I am wondering whether there is an opportunity for an aftermarket solution here.

In the meantime, I'm currently filling out my MaritzCX owner initial survey. I'll make sure to mention this on the survey so hopefully it will get to eyes and ears that matter.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by neuronbob
...filling out my MaritzCX ....
I threw mine away because they seemed too interested in me and not interested enough in the car.
miner (03-19-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
The Maritz survey I received asked minimal questions about me and was mostly about what I thought about the car, along with what I was looking for in a car. I took advantage of the opportunity to vent a little even though I think the car is, overall, excellent, at least in initial quality.

There was a JD Powers survey that asked what magazines I like and too much about my income and profession. That one I tossed.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
My 2014 RLX Hybrid is my first car with a backup camera. My wife's Toyota has one, but I haven't used it much.

I noticed the low resolution, especially on the large screen. I prefer the fish-eye mode so that I can see "around" big trucks beside me when backing out of a parking space, but it's almost impossible to see an approaching car until it is right on top of me.

I didn't realize how bad it was, until I got a rental Jeep while my RLX was in the shop. It has a tiny screen, but the back-up camera has much higher resolution, and I can actually use it for the intended purpose.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Grandpa

I got used to it now, but I'd have preferred a higher resolution camera like the one on the 4G TL.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Havv there been any updates to this issue, like an available better quality Acura or aftermarket camera?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The 2016 MY has a high resolution surround view camera. It is superior to my 2006 RL's reversing cam. It is about $275 for the camera assembly, which I assume would connect to the existing harness. What I do not know is if there is a means to toggle the multi views. There is a stalk mounted and dash button controls in the 2016 (Advance) models. But for a better resolution and a potential plug and play installation it may be worth it?

The rear view only camera you have is part # 39530-TY2-A01 about $675 OEM Parts
The new multi view camera is part # 36530-TY2-H01 about $275 OEM Parts
The stalk (turn signal / high beam / camera) is part # 35255-TY2-X81 about $60 OEM Parts

The schematics of the parts look identical and simple to swap. I assume the old camera 'A' is for analog and the 'H' is for HD in the newer camera part #?
I don't know if the stalk controller swap would work controlling the multiple views of the camera?

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 05-28-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
The 2016 MY has a high resolution surround view camera.

The schematics of the parts look identical and simple to swap. I assume the old camera 'A' is for analog and the 'H' is for HD in the newer camera part #?
I don't know if the stalk controller swap would work controlling the multiple views of the camera?
Tampa - do you think that in addition to the parts swap that there might need to be some software update? Also, is the screen in the 2014s capable of displaying HD or would that also require a swap? I understand that a HD input into a lower resolution screen might look better than the low res but it won't really be HD unless the screen has the ability to display HD.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Good questions Malibu...

I did check the NAVI unit part #s between 2014 & 2016. They ARE different parts, along with substantial price differences. They are even packaged differently with $2K-$3K difference is costs.

So I do not know if:

1. The head unit can manage the HD signal from the camera
2. The screen can project the HD signal in true HD.

Perhaps one of the Acura Tech members could check that for us?

But is may point toward why the lack of software update to the RLX vs the MDX/TLX updates. Interestingly, both the MDX and TLX also have different configurations & parts between the 2015 & 2016 models.

Not cheap, but it appears possible to swap the older buggy system for the newer system. But they appear unique to each the RLX, MDX and TLX (not interchangeable between models) Expect a couple thousand to accomplish.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Thanks for doing the additional research. It seems that those of us with 2014s will have to get used to the risks of being beta testers. I knew there would be risks associated with being an early adapter. I am glad that, in hindsight, the problems have proved to be in the infotainment system and so far little else. The best part of the Sport Hybrid is the drive train/electric motors and that has so far been rock solid.
fsmith (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 05:48 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
^^^ What he said!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
I just noticed tonight that after I put the gearshift in reverse on my 14 P-AWS Advance, I pushed the Day/Night button on the center stack and the rear view brightened up on the upper screen. I assume I am switching to Day mode because the lower screen brightens as well. Still not a high def rear view but I was able to see more of what was behind me due to the brightened surroundings.
The following 2 users liked this post by NJ-RLX:
hondamore (02-21-2017), Pacific 32 (10-22-2020)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Grandpa

So many strange decisions were made regarding these cars, I have to think that Honda were afraid the dollar/yen conversion was going to be very different from what it turned out to be.

One of my tenants bought a 2016 Odyssey, and I am amazed at how much better a view the backup camera gives the driver.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe that my 2015 RLX had a protective plastic over the camera as new, because since the first pressure car wash a week after purchase, the rear camera was/has been incredibly good.