Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
So they don’t want business, it sounds like.
LOL, seriously! They told me I was supposed to be there last Friday to do installation. How that heck would I know that if nobody called me. Someone in Parts Department dropped the ball.
The following users liked this post:
phile (08-23-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

BAD NEWS: dropped of car this morning for windshield replacement. SA just called to tell me that the installer found a hairline crack on right side after installation. They ordered a new replacement but I have to wait at least 2 weeks to remove the damaged glass as the glue is not dried yet, removing it too soon could cause problems. Why are these glass so fragile and so difficult to install? Dealer fortunately source a replacement in Ohio so I won't have to wait 1 month for shipping from Japan. Glass are shipped ground only for obvious reason, so I hope it doesn't take too long. They will of course cover the replacement on their dime. What a freaking nightmare! Guys don't get a cracked windshield in your RLX-SH.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I don't know whether to laugh or cry, jdpdata, I'm just sitting here shaking my head at your news. Is your name "Job" by any chance??

For what it is worth, I sincerely hope the replacement of the replacement goes well.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

LOL, me too. No, my name is not Job, you can call me JP.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:08 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Can you drive your RLX? Did they calibrate the upper camera's? If not, you might need a loaner until the new glass arrives (hopefully, it is the glass for the RLX with the HUD from Ohio).
Old 08-26-2021, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I drove the car home without any issues other than the big crack on the passenger side. I don't know if they calibrated the camera or not, my guess is they probably did not. It would really suck if they ordered the wrong glass and I end up waiting another month. I will call service advisor tomorrow to remind him the importance of checking the right part number. The new glass looks correct, HUD is working so I don't see why they wouldn't order the same part again.

I asked for 20% discount for all the troubles. Service manager wasn't in today so I have to wait until Monday to hear back. What a freaking mess!
mrgold35 (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh, mine is being installed tomorrow after waiting since like June 6 for it to come in - it's been in for a week now, so I hope they had a chance to look at it for defects; hoping I don't run into a similar situation!
Old 08-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

SA mentioned my first replacement glass didn't came from Japan after all. It was sourced somewhere locally but he didn't tell me from which dealership. He said someone else also wanted RLX-SH windshield and since mine was sitting on the floor for over a week, they were about to sell it to this other customer. Luckily I called just in time, else I would have to wait weeks longer. Greedy bastards!

I bet someone carelessness during shipping caused a pinhole damage which manifested to a giant crack during installation. They did look over the glass before installation, didn't find any obvious defects. The waiting continues....
Old 08-27-2021, 01:20 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I'm starting to miss the days of replacing your windshield for less than your car insurance deductible from any glass supplier during a lunch break.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
jdpdata (08-27-2021), rlx015 (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Seriously all these cameras and driving assistance tech are so complicated. Which in-turn places strict requirements on the windshield installation and calibration procedures. Wait until your LED headlight breaks. That's thousands to replace for sure. Starting Oct 1,2019, Acura Care now covers all LED headlamps, tail lamps, and turn signals (except for breakage). More of a reason to get Extended Warranty.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Annoyed as F. Went into Safelite this morning for the replacement and they wouldn’t touch it because the LKAS system was already throwing warnings. (It had been like this since I bought it used 17 months ago - was told it was because it wasn’t calibrated correctly when they put a non-OEM windshield in).

he said they couldn’t work on a vehicle that already had existing camera warnings, nor could they replace the glass and not calibrate it. 😡😡😡😡

After waiting three months for this to come in, I’m still no closer to having it fixed.

Last edited by ckiggins; 08-28-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
ckiggins, I'm sure the company's lawyers would not allow them to install a windshield and NOT calibrate the cars safety systems because of the exposure to liability if you were in an accident. Most, if not all, companies establish policies based on liability avoidance and this is no exception.

Unfortunately for you, this means that you'll need to get your safety systems all up to date and functional and then the new windshield can be installed and the safety systems recalibrated. Sadly this is the cost of owning a luxury car which possesses all of the modern electronic safety features - they are great to have, could save your life some day, but come with a cost when repairs are needed.

Sorry for all of the hassle you are going through.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Ckkings, you may have to bring your car to an Acura dealership as they have correct equipment to do calibration. 3rd party like Safelite don't. I don't have any trust in Safelite at all, they scratch up a couple of my cars when replacing glass in the past. They are a bigger company that unfortunately uses inexperienced installers. Occasionally you run by a really good installer but most of the time it's just kids out of college that couldn't care less for your car.

​But how did they know you have LKAS issues? Did you have warning lights on your dash or you told them?

My dealership uses a pro-glass guy that has been working with them for years. Installation was flawless other than for the cracked glass. Anyways, I wish you good luck getting your issues fixed. If your insurance is already covering OEM glass replacement, I'm sure they will cover the calibration too.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:19 PM
Instructor

I’ve had the “Lane Keep Assist Problem” warning in the MID for months. I really don’t care TBH, as I hate most of those ‘features’ anyway, and turn them off (LDW, LKAS, ACC). The dealer told me it’s because of the non-OEM glass (brand is Fuyao?) that’s in there now and the windshield likely wasn’t calibrated when installed.

I figured that now with the crack in the glass, they’d install the new windshield, calibrate it and it’d take care of all of the issues at once - warnings in the MID disappear and the glass is new. I never thought that they wouldn’t install it because of the warnings…I assumed this would all resolve itself with the new glass but Safelite says that they don’t have proof or guarantee that the warnings will actually resolve with the new glass and what the dealer said is ACTUALLY what’s wrong with the LKAS system.

I feel Like it’s a chicken and egg scenario now though, because I don’t think the dealer would likely be able to get the warnings in the MID to clear without a new windshield or me paying to have it calibrated on the windshield that’s going to be ripped out, and no one is going to install new glass without the warnings gone.

Last edited by ckiggins; 08-28-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

You do have to bring all your LKAS system up to factory specs before they'll replace the glass. If you drive off after glass replacement and get into an accident due to calibration issues, they could easily be on the hook for that. When you purchased the car, why wasn't LKAS issues fixed before purchase? Or the issue didn't manifested until later?

Sounds like your issue is because non-OEM glass was used and previous installer either didn't do calibration or didn't have the right equipment to do it correctly. Bring your car to Acura dealer, ask for calibration. My dealer charges $179 for calibration. Maybe you could ask them for a combo deal with glass installation and two calibration (before and after). You mentioned your insurance already approved OEM glass and calibration. So for $179 to get your car up to specs isn't a bad deal. I'd have the dealer install do both glass installation and calibration. Safelife may not have the right equipment do to calibration. Your insurance should have no problems with dealer doing the work. you could go anywhere really so why bother with Safelite. Personally I wouldn't drive around with any dash warning lights on, that would drive me nuts.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: Just received the 2nd windshield yesterday. Dealer installed the new glass without any issues, but taking forever with calibration of the cameras. SA called to say they're having "computer problems" whatever that means and that they may need to keep the car for another day. Damn freaking nightmare. Don't get broken windshield guys. This has been 3 mos of hell.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Finally got the car back. New windshield looks good. Went for an extended drive yesterday to test out LKAS and ACC. At first the camera couldn't pick up lane markers. Maybe direct afternoon sun was blinding the camera. But after a few minutes when sun is setting, it picked up the lane markers and ACC worked as expected. Happy Camper. Took 17 mos from start to end. What a nightmare!
Old 10-24-2021, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Now I’m wondering whether the hassle of clear windshield protection film is worth it. Unfortunately, the film has its own issues.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

It will help minimize windshield pitting if you drive alot in dusty conditions. But doesn't do a damn to prevent larger rock strikes. If my insurance didn't reimburse me for the 2nd Exoshield application, I wouldn't do it again.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

So I dropped off the RLX to my PPF guy to reinstall Exoshield. He told me about a new product that's better than Exosheild. It's call Stek DynoFlex. Worth checking out if any of you are interested in windshield protection. Let's hope it protect better from rock strikes than Exoshield did.

https://www.stekautomotive.com/ws/dynoflex/
hondamore (10-26-2021)