Transmission Problems? (Sport Hybrid)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Transmission Problems? (Sport Hybrid)

With part throttle acceleration, not light, not aggressive, but sort of middling, I am beginning to experience a lack of smoothness.

It's a kind of jerkiness that seems to be associated with 4th gear, assuming I start off in 2nd.

If I accelerate more lightly, it's not there. If I accelerate harder, it's not there.

Just a kind of jerkiness like the clutch is coming and going, something like that, or that perhaps the car's trying to decide that its shouldn't quite shift to 5th yet.

Anybody else?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Grandpa

20,850 miles.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Haven't noticed yet. I'm now at 9805 miles.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Beta Testers.......
Does anyone know if the transmission is built in house by Honda, or is it outsourced?
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (04-29-2016)
Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
With part throttle acceleration, not light, not aggressive, but sort of middling, I am beginning to experience a lack of smoothness.

It's a kind of jerkiness that seems to be associated with 4th gear, assuming I start off in 2nd.

If I accelerate more lightly, it's not there. If I accelerate harder, it's not there.

Just a kind of jerkiness like the clutch is coming and going, something like that, or that perhaps the car's trying to decide that its shouldn't quite shift to 5th yet.

Anybody else?
My PAWS has always had this weird thing whereby the engine revs up higher for about a quick second right before shifting into 4th gear. Like if it got confused for a second and thought it needed to stay in 3rd and quickly rev up, but then backs off at the last second and decides to shift into 4th...

It's always done this since I leased it, and it typically does it when I'm somewhere between normal and aggressive on the throttle.

I never mentioned it as it never really bothered me. But it became very apparent to me after having experienced the 7-spd DCT in the SH. Much smoother by far.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I have not sensed anything previously but I will pay attention to it to see if I can duplicate what you are experiencing. It may be nothing.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
I experience both -- sometimes it is really smooth, and sometimes it does what you describe. But I haven't yet identified when it occurs (only 1800 miles so far) but I'll try to note the gear.

I'm still trying to deal with a low speed dragging/vibration. I have new tires and wheels on order (I'm downgrading to 18" and getting dedicated summer tires) and I'll be asking the dealer to see if he can find what might be causing it while it is in the shop. It seems most prevalent when I'm just starting out and making turns. And the vibration goes faster as the car speeds up until it disappears around 30 MPH. I'll be reporting my conclusions here.

Regardless, I stand by my earlier comments when I said that this car is the most difficult car to drive smoothly. It is fun to drive (as my first speeding ticket in five year attests) and it is a marvel of technology. But the acceleration and brake take some getting used to. It takes more conscious effort because it is a hybrid. I would love for them to have an "easy" or "smooth" mode -- something that minimizes the occasional jerks when the car is trying too hard to be economical.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by anakin44011
I experience both -- sometimes it is really smooth, and sometimes it does what you describe. But I haven't yet identified when it occurs (only 1800 miles so far) but I'll try to note the gear.

I'm still trying to deal with a low speed dragging/vibration. I have new tires and wheels on order (I'm downgrading to 18" and getting dedicated summer tires) and I'll be asking the dealer to see if he can find what might be causing it while it is in the shop. It seems most prevalent when I'm just starting out and making turns. And the vibration goes faster as the car speeds up until it disappears around 30 MPH. I'll be reporting my conclusions here.

Regardless, I stand by my earlier comments when I said that this car is the most difficult car to drive smoothly. It is fun to drive (as my first speeding ticket in five year attests) and it is a marvel of technology. But the acceleration and brake take some getting used to. It takes more conscious effort because it is a hybrid. I would love for them to have an "easy" or "smooth" mode -- something that minimizes the occasional jerks when the car is trying too hard to be economical.
But it is a lot of fun to drive. You are right that it isn't easy to drive smoothly. The throttle is so immediate that it would do well to have a "smooth operation mode". I have earned my share of tickets in this car, but none received yet. Of course now that I say this, I jinxed myself. It takes a while to learn the finer qualities of this automobile.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

I notice a little bucking in reverse now, only when cold (1st start of day). Still nothing in forward gears, however.

As far as driving this car smoothly, I think after almost eleven months now, I've almost got the hang of it. Of course, just when I'm being overconfident, I tap the brakes, my head almost goes through the windshield from the braking power and I'm shocked from the resulting skidding tires. This usually happens after I've been driving my CTS-V, which of course has no such issues and does what you want when you want it to. It's even worse after I've been driving the Mommymobile, which has soft squishy brakes for the ladies. In sum, the Sport Hybrid's brakes are a wee bit grabby at times.

tl;dr You get used to it.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

I experience bucking when starting out in reverse and am backing up a driveway. I just put it in sport and the bucking stops. I think it is a software issue of the EV motors engaging with that type of transmission. I don't think it is a problem necessarily, just a quirk. I do find that if the throttle is finessed, you can drive it supremely smooth in most conditions, but the "tip in" is so close and enjoyable, that I don't want to drive it smoothly. The smoothest throttle I ever remember was an old diesel Buick my dad had in the 80's. That seemed like it never shifted gears and the tach never moved above 2k.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Grandpa

About reverse:

I also find that when parked nose down an incline, I have to be prepared for the car to roll forward a foot before being able to reverse.

Not tragic, but not something you should have to worry about. And it could catch a new driver unawares.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if engaging the brake hold will resolve the roll forward issue. I have to try that. Certainly the sport mode makes the engagement smoother in that reverse incline situation.

Good point GK.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I was driving around quite a bit today and tried to pay attention for any transmission issues and I felt nothing but the normal silky smooth shifts.

There is a lot going on with the Sport Hybrid power train with the engine turning off and on etc and I wonder if the "roughness" that George felt was related to the variable cylinder management telling the engine to fire up from 3 to all 6 cylinders at a certain point when the transmission is reading the same need for power and downshifting. I tried to recreate those conditions today, but obviously it would take very particular circumstances of power requirement, cylinder activation, vehicle speed, transmission gear selection etc. that I was unable to reproduce it.

Just my two cents.
TampaRLX-SH (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I wonder if engaging the brake hold will resolve the roll forward issue. I have to try that. Certainly the sport mode makes the engagement smoother in that reverse incline situation.

Good point GK.
Interesting you guys bring this up. Its not specific to the RLX. The TLX also does this. There appears to be some type of "rolling gap" when placing the transmission into park and then letting your foot of the brake. Sometimes the car will "roll" back or forth a few times before coming to a complete stand still.

On the RLX PAWS transmission, this can result in a hard "jolt" or "pop" in the shifting process when shifting out of park and back into drive or reverse.

The way Ive dealt with this during parking is by following these steps:

1. bring the car to a complete stop.

2. keep my foot on the pedal brake while moving the transmission into "Park"

3. engage the parking brake while still holding down the pedal brake (this is the important step).

4. now let your foot off the brake and turn off the car.

The car should be solid and standstill with no rolling. Works for me every time.

Last edited by holografique; 09-23-2015 at 07:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
old blue (04-16-2016), victorber (09-30-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
Interesting you guys bring this up. Its not specific to the RLX. The TLX also does this. There appears to be some type of "rolling gap" when placing the transmission into park and then letting your foot of the brake. Sometimes the car will "roll" back or forth a few times before coming to a complete stand still.

On the RLX PAWS transmission, this can result in a hard "jolt" or "pop" in the shifting process when shifting out of park and back into drive or reverse.

The way Ive dealt with this during parking is by following these steps:

1. bring the car to a complete stop.

2. keep my foot on the pedal brake while moving the transmission into "Park"

3. engage the parking brake while still holding down the pedal brake (this is the important step).

4. now let your foot off the brake and turn off the car.

The car should be solid and standstill with no rolling. Works for me every time.
That works for me too. Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I already do this as well. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who uses the parking brake in an automatic, bringing the habit over from MT cars.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:10 AM
Grandpa

If you don't engage the parking brake when coming to a stop, almost all cars are going to roll a tiny bit.

The unusual issue is how much the car can roll down an incline when you try to un-park and reverse when you're nose down on an incline.

I never drove the Porsche PDK in commuting enough to know if the PDK does it.

I'm interested in the comment about the TLX. Was that a 4 cyl. DCT that does that?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Grandpa

I want to put a number on the reverse out of park issue.

When pointing downhill, it is 12-18" and that is enough that it can catch you unawares enough to have a physical impact.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

I tried to replicate your rolling forward experience by engaging reverse, and without the brake on, it did roll forward about 6 inches by my estimation before engaging reverse throttle input, but by keeping my foot on the brake as I normally do when switching from D to R or P, it did not move at all. I think all transmissions have a little slack in them (lack of a better word), when you select park or reverse from drive without the brake application.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Grandpa

I tried to replicate your rolling forward experience by engaging reverse, and without the brake on, it did roll forward about 6 inches by my estimation before engaging reverse throttle input, but by keeping my foot on the brake as I normally do when switching from D to R or P, it did not move at all. I think all transmissions have a little slack in them (lack of a better word), when you select park or reverse from drive without the brake application.
Sure. It's just too much makeup for my taste, and too big a chance an inexperienced driver could have an accident because of it.

I'm not saying it's a crappy car or anything.

:-)
Old 09-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

The unusual issue is how much the car can roll down an incline when you try to un-park and reverse when you're nose down on an incline.

I'm interested in the comment about the TLX. Was that a 4 cyl. DCT that does that?
I agree, the "gap" in the TLX/RLX seems a bit exagerrated versus other cars I've driven. Including my wife's 2013 ILX, which does not exhibit this at all.

And my comments on the TLX come from the V6 9spd ZF transmission. I've had 3 loaners at this point (2 PAWS, 1 SH-AWD) during service windows for my RLX and they all exhibited the "gap/slack".

Ive also had a couple 2014/2015 MDX loaners over the past two years but cant remember if they exhibited it or not.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I already do this as well. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who uses the parking brake in an automatic, bringing the habit over from MT cars.
you're not alone weirdo

plus it just always "feels" safer, although I know it's just all in my head...
Old 01-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation BUMP! I'm officially on my third transmission - 17k miles

I have been gone from here for quite a while but after a phone call I just received, decided to jump and see if anyone else has been having issues.

I am officially getting my transmission replaced for a second time and the first time was about a month ago (read: less than 1k miles). I am apparently also on notice by Acura that they will not replace another one if I have any issues as they are suspicious of my activities as a driver and suspect that I have been racing the car. Um...really?!?

My issues with the second transmission were completely different than those of the first which is funny. The first tranny lasted 16k and had some minor noises that I reported and if anyone recalls the 01-03 CLS/TLS tranny, it started to show some signs of that as well.

This time, I would:

Get odd/rough idles, the car would lunge forward in D (regular) after being stopped and then me letting very lightly go of the pedal..only to push down hard to avoid from hitting anything.

If I put the car in Sport mode at a light and let go of the brake then very lightly accelerate, the car would jerk around like it's falling apart. Staying in Sport mode and then stopping again, would do it lightly once more, and sometimes a third time...after that, nothing.

Park to Reverse - You could hear 3-5 'clanks'...almost as if they clutch is engaging a plate or two...then a second to two after, jerk back to engage the gear.

Coasting to stop in Normal - At times, the car would go electric, decide "Nope", engage gas engine, jerk a little, then decide "oh, I'm stopping, I'll downshift and then go electric" and you could feel the changes.

Anyone else having these issues? According to Acura, I'm the ONLY person in North America who is getting a second transmission. I have never put this car on a track, raced, time trialed, whatever you want to call it. And besides that, if Acura is going to sell a car as a performance vehicle and they're having issues with the transmission not holding up to what it is powering..perhaps a bigger issue all together?

I will read some other posts but may start a new thread with a poll if I see some patterns. I can't be the only one out there.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by holografique
I agree, the "gap" in the TLX/RLX seems a bit exagerrated versus other cars I've driven. Including my wife's 2013 ILX, which does not exhibit this at all.

And my comments on the TLX come from the V6 9spd ZF transmission. I've had 3 loaners at this point (2 PAWS, 1 SH-AWD) during service windows for my RLX and they all exhibited the "gap/slack".

Ive also had a couple 2014/2015 MDX loaners over the past two years but cant remember if they exhibited it or not.
I have the same issue in my wife's TLX SH-AWD...it's annoying!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by falabarce
Anyone else having these issues?
Not to the extent you're having them.

When *not* in Sport Mode, accelerating at about half throttle gets some jerkiness. Not tragic, just not perfect.

Putting the car in *R* while the nose is facing downhill, the car might roll downhill slightly and/or I'll have to give it some pedal before the car's moving backwards. This is not a very refined thing to have to be doing.

Putting the car in Sport Mode and then engaging D1(M), there is quite a thunk when first gear is engaged.

It's not at a stage I'd think about replacing the transmission.

I am apparently also on notice by Acura that they will not replace another one if I have any issues as they are suspicious of my activities as a driver and suspect that I have been racing the car. Um...really?!?
The control unit will download enough information to them. They can prove or disprove any of that by just getting the information off of the control unit. It gives all kinds of information that I wish we had readouts for. :-)

Last edited by George Knighton; 01-15-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

In normal driving the transmission is silky smooth and silent for me. I do find that there can be some over responsiveness at times between the hybrid drive and the direct transmission, but to me that is just part of the unique qualities of the car. I do wish that the front suspension eliminated wheel hop when we do what is essentially launch control because for me when there is a loss of traction, the front tires do not smoothly spin. Not that I do that often, but when a jack rabbit start is "required" and the surface is not warm and clean of any dust/loose gravel as we can have from time to time, when the front wheels break loose there is a hopping action. However when the surface is right, only a very small chip and then a full hook up ensues. That is a boat load of fun!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Replaced tires...

In normal driving the transmission is silky smooth and silent for me. I do find that there can be some over responsiveness at times between the hybrid drive and the direct transmission, but to me that is just part of the unique qualities of the car. I do wish that the front suspension eliminated wheel hop when we do what is essentially launch control because for me when there is a loss of traction, the front tires do not smoothly spin. Not that I do that often, but when a jack rabbit start is "required" and the surface is not warm and clean of any dust/loose gravel as we can have from time to time, when the front wheels break loose there is a hopping action. However when the surface is right, only a very small chip and then a full hook up ensues. That is a boat load of fun!
I should note that after almost creaming an Alpina B7 at 40mph, Acura replaced my tires with some of my choice and I ended up with Michelin PSS. A lot of the traction issues have gone away but I think if we were sitting on 20s with a stiffer sidewall and tighter suspension this car would just be flat out the best sleeper.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Stay tuned...

I got the call yesterday that the transmission has been replaced and I'm able to pick up the car...

I shall report back what happens but have been advised to get a copy of the download of the ECU and my GPS data from them and to require written reports on their findings of the old transmissions and a letter explaining to me why Acura is voiding my warranty after this second replacement.

Stay tuned folks...
Old 01-24-2016, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Recently, I've noticed that in the cold, the transmission shifts HARD (i.e. you can FEEL it jerk) when moving from R to D. This only happens on the first drive of the day. It didn't happen last winter....and last winter was much colder here than this one is. Also, in the low gears, I feel a vibration through the wheel at every shift in the low gears (1-2-3), again, only when the transmission is cold.

For now, I'm keeping an eye on the situation. If it worsens, I'll make an early visit to the dealer as I'm about six months away from another oil change with my driving. I may try a transmission flush first.

Anyone else?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Grandpa

25% to just short of 50% throttle is where mine seems to act up.

I also get the hard shift between R and D, and the car will roll forward instead of beginning to reverse when you first put it into R.

Strangeness. Not tragic, but just a little disappointingly unrefined.

Keeping an eye on it and will complain when I don't want to deal with it. :-)
Old 01-25-2016, 07:22 PM
Instructor

So it is all about phrasing my friends...

After a 45 minute talk with the new Service Director, it seems that what the service tech said to me was in complete error. Acura is not voiding my warranty and they do not suspect I am racing the car...but was told, "If you are doing something that the car is not designed to do, please stop and we will find out if you do".

Fair enough of a statement but most people in the dealer itself know me personally as well over my 15 years of buying nothing other than new cars from them...hell even this car, I got dibbs on when there were two buyers already for it and only having my 6MT for 17 months.

So far, no jerking, no noise at ALL from all shifting...just smooth sailing. I don't even feel the previous clicks I did before where I could feel the electric motors engage..and unlike the second transmission where it felt that I did not have any kind of motor or transmission mount...nothing on this one so far.

The physicist in me is writing a rather long dissertation of the previous and current feel of the car more in detail and will be giving that to Acura for reference. I was interviewed by Acura two months into owning the car but couldn't really speak too much about it as it only had 700 miles at the time...I wish they would do it again.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by falabarce
So it is all about phrasing my friends...

After a 45 minute talk with the new Service Director, it seems that what the service tech said to me was in complete error. Acura is not voiding my warranty and they do not suspect I am racing the car...but was told, "If you are doing something that the car is not designed to do, please stop and we will find out if you do".

Fair enough of a statement but most people in the dealer itself know me personally as well over my 15 years of buying nothing other than new cars from them...hell even this car, I got dibbs on when there were two buyers already for it and only having my 6MT for 17 months.

So far, no jerking, no noise at ALL from all shifting...just smooth sailing. I don't even feel the previous clicks I did before where I could feel the electric motors engage..and unlike the second transmission where it felt that I did not have any kind of motor or transmission mount...nothing on this one so far.

The physicist in me is writing a rather long dissertation of the previous and current feel of the car more in detail and will be giving that to Acura for reference. I was interviewed by Acura two months into owning the car but couldn't really speak too much about it as it only had 700 miles at the time...I wish they would do it again.
Mine is smooth as silk almost all the time, with the exception of occasional bucking if I engage the ICE from EV mode under moderate throttle input, but with experience you can smooth that out with the proper throttling technique. I wish there wasn't the "popping" noise when the ICE engages.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
I have noticed that it isn't very smooth when first starting out in the morning and going slow as I pull out of my neighborhood. After a few blocks though it is back to normal.

The more anoying thing though that I have noticed is when cruising on the highway in traffic at 60mph and I try and punch it up to get around the guy ahead of me there is a significant lag before I feel the power come up. I think it is probably due to the variable cylinder management. It does not happen if I put it in sport mode first.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by pac1999
I have noticed that it isn't very smooth when first starting out in the morning and going slow as I pull out of my neighborhood. After a few blocks though it is back to normal.
I notice some lugging of the electric motors in the same situation. But I have noted the Blue COLD TEMP icon illuminated when it does so. It seems to be a cold E motor characteristic as it disappears then the icon goes off. Further I did not experience it in the warmer weather.

There is a LOT going on with the car. Power transfers, cylinder deactivation, regen braking and negative torque applications. Some I have learned the sensation and some I can manipulate with throttle control. But some I do not know whether it is a tranny shift, cylinder activation / deactivation, that slight bump when shifting to E Drive or Brake Hold release from a stop (including E Parking Brake).

I have not experienced any aggressive tranny shifts. One thing that comes to mind that may trigger those rough shifts from Reverse to Drive could be the ABS System Test and perhaps in conjunction with Brake Hold release?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pac1999
The more anoying thing though that I have noticed is when cruising on the highway in traffic at 60mph and I try and punch it up to get around the guy ahead of me there is a significant lag before I feel the power come up. I think it is probably due to the variable cylinder management. It does not happen if I put it in sport mode first.
The PAWS models do this as well. Same behavior and same resolution by putting the car in Sport mode.

The other trick that works for me is down-shifting a gear and THEN punching the pedal, and it works in Normal or Sport mode. It's faster than just punching the pedal alone and waiting for the engine/tranny to catch-up. It also seems to help by immediately putting the engine RPM where it needs to be for VTEC to kick in, making it ready and available as soon as you do punch the pedal.

Last edited by holografique; 01-30-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
Yup. I just reach back as if I'm going for a stick shift, press "Sport", and "punch it". It never gets old in this car. My fuel economy (or lack thereof) is a testatment to the insatiable need to punch it.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
fsmith (02-01-2016), LoneStar 16 RLX SprtHybrd (02-03-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-31-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 08:30 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been considering the upcoming MDX "mated" with the sport hybrid system.

This thread has been quite helpful alerting me to transmission and system
integration issues.

Regarding a couple of points above, I have a BMW 335is with dual clutch transmission.
Hesitation from rest has always been a factor with this transmission [much less
since worked out strategies], and the "bucking" that was described above - especially
when cold - was a problem as well.

My solution to the bucking when cold was to put the car in gear and just leave my
foot off the throttle for a few seconds, after which it just as calm and gentled as a
horse that has been trained and treated properly.

The bucking would also occur when starting forward right after starting the engine
when cold, but disappeared with a hesitation before giving it throttle.

Haven't had any further problems with the 335is after I listened to it, and adapted
myself to it.

Sounds like there are related dual clutch transmission problems in the RLX SH, further complicated by all those multiple systems interacting.

I wonder if Honda has gotten the problem better sorted with software and integration as their experience with the system has progressed?

Thanks for the reports and insights.

mike
Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I have been driving a few DC Transmission vehicles lately. A few points:

The SH RLX does not launch in 1st gear. Also, when launching, it is not via the ICE / DC7, instead it is via the rear electric motors. So any lugging or jerkiness at launch or low speed is due to the e motor behavior. I have noticed some e motor lugging when leaving my neighborhood on cold mornings, and always the C (old) icon is still illuminated in the dash. Two blocks and it is gone (as is the C icon) I also get some lugging when reversing into the garage. Sport Hybrid - RLX's trick to punch the sport button takes care of that as the reverse lugging was in e drive only.

Further, the DC7 of the SH RLX will not behave as other DC trannies as there is the e pancake motor between the DC& and the ICE contributing to the smooth engagement of the ICE. In effect it smooths the often jerky characteristics in other DC trannys at slow speeds.

Otherwise I have experienced nothing but smooth shifts. They are quick and progressive. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are a lot of things going on with this car and I still find it difficult to differentiate tranny shifts, cylinder activation / deactivation and even shift to e drive (unless I notice the tach drop). When launching from a stop the ICE joins in after the e motors address initial inertia, and that just feels like a tranny shift with a growl. The only time I feel the ICE engine shudder is when at a stop, say waiting at a traffic light and because the battery level is low the ICE fires up to juice the battery.

I found DC trannies in Audis more abrupt and jerky. And I find 6+ trannys in Lexus are often hunting for gears and pauses trying decide which gear to take. I have limited experience with BMW DCs and did not like the start / stop in the cars I drove. I find the SH RLX DC7 well done in comparison.

I think Honda has done a great job orchestrating these systems based on other Hybrids I have driven. With so much going on, I believe they cooperate quite well. Being the 1st launch of SH technology, I am impressed and pleased. Have I had to learn some different behavior and sensations? Of course, but more that I am focused and intrigued by what is going on with this car and captivated by it. On a rare drive I turn off the power distribution monitor and change the HUD to not show tach and I just drive it. Few would know it is a hybrid and in Sport mode, I forget it myself.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 04-16-2016 at 09:27 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (04-17-2016), hondamore (04-16-2016), Malibu Flyer (04-17-2016), pgeorg (04-17-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-17-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pdk

If you don't engage the parking brake when coming to a stop, almost all cars are going to roll a tiny bit.

George,
I'll check my PDK's nose down behavior tomorrow and report back...
Old 04-24-2016, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by old blue
I've been considering the upcoming MDX "mated" with the sport hybrid system.

This thread has been quite helpful alerting me to transmission and system
integration issues.

Regarding a couple of points above, I have a BMW 335is with dual clutch transmission.
Hesitation from rest has always been a factor with this transmission [much less
since worked out strategies], and the "bucking" that was described above - especially
when cold - was a problem as well.

My solution to the bucking when cold was to put the car in gear and just leave my
foot off the throttle for a few seconds, after which it just as calm and gentled as a
horse that has been trained and treated properly.

The bucking would also occur when starting forward right after starting the engine
when cold, but disappeared with a hesitation before giving it throttle.

Haven't had any further problems with the 335is after I listened to it, and adapted
myself to it.

Sounds like there are related dual clutch transmission problems in the RLX SH, further complicated by all those multiple systems interacting.

I wonder if Honda has gotten the problem better sorted with software and integration as their experience with the system has progressed?

Thanks for the reports and insights.

mike
I wouldn't worry much about the Sport Hybrid's transmission. For the most part, it works just fine and you don't have to think about it. Since it's warmed up around here, I haven't any cold start wonkiness. I still make use of the parking brake when parking....just like everybody else should IMHO, whether driving manual or automatic. I simply don't get why everyone else in the world thinks that parking pawl in an automatic or DCT transmission is perfect.

As an aside, why not design a program in new automatics that just automatically activates the parking brake when you shift into "Park"?
pgeorg (04-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems? (Sport Hybrid)