**OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14: Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Ganplosive
I tried typing in the lyrics on google but then I realized I actually can't figure out what he's saying in half the songs
I looked at teh comments on Youtube and most comments about the song are very negative
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
I was at the NY auto show and was extremely disappointed in the new RLx.

It looks like a cross between the 2013 Nissan Altima, Infiniti G25, the uninspiring new Lexus GS, all melded together with the outgoing 2012 RL grill. Funny that they had the new ILX right in front of the RL......The Dashboard in the RL, especially the passenger side, looks almost identical to the ILX......which is is very similar to the humble Honda Civic.

The sides of the center console in the new RL (at least the concept) are hard molded plastic.

The new Lincoln MKZ looks much better in person inside and out than pictures.....Ford did a great job on the Lincoln. IMO, Acura really screwed up the design of the new RL inside and out. I bet there will be heavy incentives on this puppy shortly after introduction.

Last edited by CadiGTi; 04-06-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Was the Lincoln a production vehicle, or concept?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

They had the concept MKZ on stage and 2 production version (2013) MKZ's on the floor. The new 2013 MKZ they said goes into production later this year.

The exterior styling is very Audi A7 and the interior even more so, but, IMO, more sleek than Audi. They have a direct injection 2 liter turbo 4, Hybrid 4, and a 300+ hp V6. AWD also available. They showed both that new full glass sunroof and the standard type sunroof options.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CadiGTi

The sides of the center console in the new RL (at least the concept) are hard molded plastic.

Really?! That's disappointing especially considering they're trying to position itmambitmmore upmarket.

The hard molded plastic on the dash and the upper portion of the doors was my one minor gripe with the interior in my RL.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

perhaps the same Honda Civic cost cutting guru also spec'd out the new RL interior?

maybe the production model will have better materials.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I agree, they should have had someone more polished and stylish do the into. Not the Yoda in a frumpy poorly tailored suit..

As to the 370hp... Keep in mind there is no published torque rating or accel times. My understanding is that electric motors make peak torque instantly an have flat torque curves.... So while the rating is 370... It could make mad torque immediately and
Have performance that exceeds what we expect due to the electric motors providing a lot or torque.... Just a thought.

I'll be interested to see what kind of real world accel figures it creates. I'm guessing it is more than what you woul get from a gas motor making 370 hp.... I bet it's more than we expect..: I hope!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
The hard molded plastic on the dash and the upper portion of the doors was my one minor gripe with the interior in my RL.
Really? Push harder with your thumb. That's not hard molded plastic. It's very firm, but it's padded.

Now, the sides of our cars' consoles ARE hard plastic. That justifies a bit of complaint (though, to me, only a bit); they could have run carpet up those sides pretty easily and fixed that.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CadiGTi
It looks like a cross between ... the uninspiring new Lexus GS, all melded together with the outgoing 2012 RL grill.
I agree about the resemblance to the new GS, especially in profile. One poster (maybe on VW Vortex?) already put up side-by-side photos that dramatically made this point. I see a resemblance to the LaCrosse, too.

I'll say this about the saleability of this car: They're gonna have a hard time convincing people that the base RLX -- a large US-built mid-size with a snazzy interior and a big DOHC V6 putting out 300-some horsepower through the front wheels -- is worth over $15,000 more than its styling twin the LaCrosse, which can say exactly the same things for itself. And the LaCrosse doesn't have a beak.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

^ You consider the RL a mid-size?

The reason I asked about the Lincoln being a production vehicle is that it would be ready to go. The RLX is not ready. If you take a look at the hump, you can see a poorly placed carpet insert hanging over it. I would put money on that not being a production part. No RL or Legend had it. My point is that the interior is likely very far from finalized with that particular concept vehicle, and while you may argue that Acura should have prepared a better presentation, what is really going to sell is the final product.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I must say that while I am very excited by all of the technological marvels of the new RLX, I have been very underwhelmed by its exterior styling. I wished that it were more original and more exciting. Yes, it does look like a Korean luxury car wannabe now, since it looks a bit like Lexus, a bit like BMW, a bit like Infiniti and a bit like Acura.... so disappointing. I really don't know what is going on in that Acura design studio. The exterior design is so uninspiring. Don't get me wrong, it's "nice" but it's just so dull and bland. As much as I am an Acura fan, they need some serious help in their design department now.

Did anyone see that new Mazda Takeri concept car? All I could say was "WOW"! Mazda has got some hot designs going on now:

http://www.insideline.com/mazda/6/ma...auto-show.html

If Mazda could do it, why couldn't Acura? I just don't get it.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Here's the thing, Ostrich. Would you prefer this unoffensive style or the 4G TL , in which they simply went overboard? I personally think this car will sell with its current exterior styling. I, for one, don't think Acura screwed up this time.

Do they need help in the design studio? Oh HELLZ yes. They need to come up with an edgy style that will turn eyeballs and yet not turn off 70% of the buying public (aka, not another 4G TL fuglified disaster).

I, for one, will likely pick one up in 2-3 years when it's time to relegate the V to weekender status.....if I haven't folded first to finally buy that TSX wagon I'm enamored of right now. Not ready for a new car right now, so Acura's timeframe on this car is better than right for me.

For those of you qvetching about the interior.....it's not 100% feature correct. I read on TOV today that the interior was more to give Acura execs an idea of what the interior space should be, rather than what the interior WILL be. There's some work to do on this car in 8 months.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oo7spy
^ You consider the RL a mid-size?

Well, now that you asked:

Edmunds.com: “On paper, the 2011 Acura RL seems like a pretty desirable midsize luxury sedan.”

NADAguides.com: “The 2012 Acura RL is a mid-size luxury sedan.”

Autotrader.com: “Heavily upgraded for 2009, the Acura RL mid-size luxury sport sedan...”

ConsumerReports.org: “Blind zone measurements: Midsized sedans – 2009 Acura RL.”

Overall length
LaCrosse: 196.9 inches
RL: 195.8 inches

Wheelbase
LaCrosse: 111.7 inches
RL: 110.2 inches

Interior volume
LaCrosse: 101.7 cubic feet
RL: 99.1 cubic feet

Motorweek.org: “The mid-size Buick LaCrosse.”

GMfleet.com: “2012 Buick LaCrosse – Midsize Sedan.”

Wikipedia: “The Buick LaCrosse is a mid-size entry-level luxury sedan.”

So, in answer to your question:
•Do I consider the RL a midsize sedan?
•And your other implied question: Do I consider mid-sizers such as LaCrosse big enough to be in the RL's size class for comparison purposes?

I'll let you answer both of those. (Smirking emoticon omitted.)
Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Here's the thing, Ostrich. Would you prefer this unoffensive style or the 4G TL , in which they simply went overboard? I personally think this car will sell with its current exterior styling. I, for one, don't think Acura screwed up this time.

LOL! Neuronbob, I actually like the 4G TL design! ROTFLOL! See, I liked it so much I bought it twice already.... LOL!

No, seriously, I do realize that it should not be as edgy as the 4G TL, but as an Acura fan, I was just a bit frustrated by how they could not get the styling right for this very critical vehicle. You know how they hit jackpot with the exterior styling of the NSX Concept, so I was really hoping that they could do the same for the RLX.... but then... sigh! The truth is, it does not look bad, it's just not distinctive or distinguished enough.

The ironic thing is, they had this ultra-conservative styling for the RLX Concept, then they paired it up with those 20" ghetto rims that are so ugly that they hurt my eyes!!! LOL! What on earth were they thinking!?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Beak Be Gone!!!

In Japan and Europe they'll remove the "beak" and call it a "Legend" which by the way, wouldn't look bad at all. See my "butchered" rendition. Can anyone clean up and make more presentable? Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails **OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14:  Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28-rlx-redo.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TonyCD
Well, now that you asked:

So, what do you consider a full size sedan? A quick Google search of full size sedans turns up the Avalon, 300, Charger, & Taurus, among others.

Avalon: Length = 197.6", Wheelbase = 111"
300: Length = 198.6", Wheelbase = 120.2"
Charger: Length = 200.3", Wheelbase = 120.2"
Taurus: Length = 202.9", Wheelbase = 112.9"

I suppose the line has to be drawn somewhere, but that whole 2.5" of bumper and .8" of wheel base the Avalon has on the current RL is a world of difference.

Now, you seem to think the RLX will be a mid-size too. You don't think it will be 2" bigger?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shrykhar
I've owned plenty of Hondas and Acuras ... I just find their current floundering about depressing and wish they'd put out something competitive instead of fiddling with badges and eco credentials.
I agree....like a face lift on an aging celebrity!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

So, what do you consider a full size sedan? A quick Google search of full size sedans turns up the Avalon, 300, Charger, & Taurus, among others.

I suppose the line has to be drawn somewhere, but that whole 2.5" of bumper and .8" of wheel base the Avalon has on the current RL is a world of difference.

Now, you seem to think the RLX will be a mid-size too. You don't think it will be 2" bigger?
All in fun, mind you:

We were talking about the RL, not the RLX with its bigger interior. But now that you mention it, the RLX will NOT be 2" bigger.

Don't trust me, trust Acura's own press release: “Dimensionally, the RLX Concept is approximately the same length as the current RL,” with a 2" longer wheelbase offset by shorter overhangs. Or, as reported by Autoblog: “Honda is quick to point out that the (RLX) sedan will provide large car interior volume in a mid-size package.”

Now, I'll admit that the trend of big interiors in smaller exteriors is blurring the lines of these size classes; even the Accord is classified by the EPA as a "large car" based on its interior volume (although only if you don't get the sunroof).

I think you could legitimately make the argument that the RLX will be functionally a full-size car. But as an RL owner, I can't honestly say my car is full-size, except of course for its turning circle. ;.)

There's just not the rear-seat room or trunk space to justify the label. Before I got my RL, I test-drove (and test-sat, front and back) lots of sedans that spanned a wide range in both size and price. I'd compare the overall roominess of our cars to, say, a previous-gen Sonata. Next to the RL, a previous-gen Avalon or Azera is a gymnasium.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Fair enough. I just can't imagine driving anything much larger that this boat.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Fair enough. I just can't imagine driving anything much larger that this boat.
The RL is not a large car....it just feels like one.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
Really? The only time my RL felt large was in parking lots, where the HUGE turning radius made for occasionally challenging situations. OTOH, on the freeway, SH-AWD makes the car feel much lighter on its feet.

I'd call the RL "just right" in size, but that's just me. I can't stand huge land barges.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
New Acura RLX

I can't believe I am going to say this but I went to the NY Auto Show and sat in the new RLX. Am I getting old? I thought it was just as cool as the TL I already have. The car had cross drilled brakes probably just for the show car, awesome headlights that may never see production, and wheels that also may never see the light of day, BUT the overall shape was very modern with subtle details. I have read already that some feel that it is not inspiring or braking any new boundaries, but from an evolutionary perspective it is very cool.

The interior switch gear is very cool, almost Bentley like in feel (big step up for Acura). The leather felt and smelled like Italian hides. Even the stitching looked upgraded. I could care less about mileage even though I get about 27.5+ mpg on the highway when I can keep out of the gas, but getting 30+ would only mean going longer between fill ups when dragging the brude to the in-laws.

Am I a goof or is the RLX looking sharpe?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Altegris
I can't believe I am going to say this but I went to the NY Auto Show and sat in the new RLX. Am I getting old? I thought it was just as cool as the TL I already have. The car had cross drilled brakes probably just for the show car, awesome headlights that may never see production, and wheels that also may never see the light of day, BUT the overall shape was very modern with subtle details. I have read already that some feel that it is not inspiring or braking any new boundaries, but from an evolutionary perspective it is very cool.

The interior switch gear is very cool, almost Bentley like in feel (big step up for Acura). The leather felt and smelled like Italian hides. Even the stitching looked upgraded. I could care less about mileage even though I get about 27.5+ mpg on the highway when I can keep out of the gas, but getting 30+ would only mean going longer between fill ups when dragging the brude to the in-laws.

Am I a goof or is the RLX looking sharpe?
It's not bad and I think the technology is very interesting, but I think they should modify the front bumper, it looks to simple to me... my
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I've seen it-I like it too.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I thought the interior was completely non functional, just for the concept car. I'd take the level of refinement with a grain of salt. The production car may not be the same quality.

The headlights seemed like some new Acura signature look. I think they may stay for the production car. I kind of liked the way to wheels look when in motion, but I agree with most they will probably go.

Overall I think Acura moved in the right direction with the RL. The new tech is great and hopefully a sign of what will be in other models someday. The styling isn't radical but I didn't expect it to be. It is a mature car for mature buyers. If I were willing to spend that much on my next car I would not write it off. It would be on my list.

It has me thinking positively about the TLX which I hope will be my next car. IF THE REAR SEATS FOLD DOWN! Are you listening Acura? Probably not.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Thread merge imminent. LoL
Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Turn the traction control off and floor it for tighter turns.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

Keep in mind that vehicle size classifications are done based on interior volume and not exterior size.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Thread merge imminent. LoL
and done.

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-09-2012 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

Did I miss this:
Does anyone know if it is a "pluggable" hybrid? My suspicion is no or mpg might be even higher.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
Did I miss this:
Does anyone know if it is a "pluggable" hybrid? My suspicion is no or mpg might be even higher.
It is not a plug in hybrid. This is a evolution of Honda IMA (Integrated Motor Assist), with three electric motors. One to assist the main engine (true Honda IMA) and 2 direct drive units for the rear wheels (this a new to Honda and the groundbreaking stuff), with software driven SHAWD the rear electric motors instead of a mechanical differential with planetary gears.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Tampa, figured as much.

I'm disappointed that the ground breaking stuff won't be available in first production units, if that is indeed accurate. Won't they have to call it FWD without the rear motors?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I think it is still too early to know if it will be ready for launch or not. But assume the SH-SHAWD system is still being tested and tweaked for both the RL(X) and NSX.

If it is a delayed option, keep in mind the 4 wheels steering will be incorporated with the FWD configuration. Acura will find a way to emphasize that handling attribute to minimize the FWD attribute. It will enhance the handling of FWD even if not as robust as SHAWD or SH-SHAWD.

Keep in mind, our current RLs are truly FWD but the SHAWD system minimizes FWD attributes while creating RWD overdrive and AWD stability.

Gets to be splitting hairs when the true definition and assessment resides in your butt.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I think it is still too early to know if it will be ready for launch or not. But assume the SH-SHAWD system is still being tested and tweaked for both the RL(X) and NSX.

If it is a delayed option, keep in mind the 4 wheels steering will be incorporated with the FWD configuration. Acura will find a way to emphasize that handling attribute to minimize the FWD attribute. It will enhance the handling of FWD even if not as robust as SHAWD or SH-SHAWD.

Keep in mind, our current RLs are truly FWD but the SHAWD system minimizes FWD attributes while creating RWD overdrive and AWD stability.

Gets to be splitting hairs when the true definition and assessment resides in your butt.
Yeah, but you know that the critics will say!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by getakey
Yeah, but you know that the critics will say!
When the critics write the check, their opinions will have weight on my decisions.

And the happiest RL owners I read on this forum trust themselves more than they follow the opinions of others.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Totally agree
I just need to make sure mine holds on long enough for the sh-shawd to come out.
Otherwise, I need an interim solution.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These groundbreaking stuffs makes Honda or Acura cars stand out in my opinion. I rather drive a car that has new technology such as these than full luxury such as Lexus etc. I am really excited about the future Acura line up until then I will enjoy my TSX

Originally Posted by TampaRL
It is not a plug in hybrid. This is a evolution of Honda IMA (Integrated Motor Assist), with three electric motors. One to assist the main engine (true Honda IMA) and 2 direct drive units for the rear wheels (this a new to Honda and the groundbreaking stuff), with software driven SHAWD the rear electric motors instead of a mechanical differential with planetary gears.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
The RLX's look is growing on me, I must admit.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The RLX Concept Link, Only 3.5-Liter V6?

Just thought i would share the link for the new RLX. Why would they change from the current 3.7 Liter back to a 3.5? i just dont get it.

http://www.acura.com/future/RLX?SP_R...ullsite=true#1

Last edited by Mr.Tea; 04-10-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Because 3.5 was all that was needed for the amount of power and 30 MPG overall

Quick Reply: **OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14: Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28