Trunk noise when driving over 60 km/h - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Trunk noise when driving over 60 km/h

 
Old 01-28-2019, 09:57 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Trunk noise when driving over 60 km/h

Hi all...been lurking for awhile. I've had my new Platinum Elite RDX for about 3 weeks and all has been good but I'm having a sound issue from the trunk. When I'm going over 60 km/h or so I start hearing a rattling or knocking sound. It sounds like there is something in the underneath storage bin knocking up and down. Very plastic sound. I had some stuff stored in their but took everything out and the noise is still there. It almost sounds like the bottom of trunk floor cover plastic is bouncing on the plastic bin. It's pretty loud (Unless I crank the stereo ;-). Anyone else have that issue? I may try putting additional padding on the top of the bins to see if that helps.

Thanks!
mattman3234 is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 47
Posts: 119
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I can't say that I've experienced anything like what you have described, but make sure to check your spare tire and the mechanism that holds it in place underneath the rear of the vehicle.
bluntman72 is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 08:31 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 53
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattman3234 View Post
Hi all...been lurking for awhile. I've had my new Platinum Elite RDX for about 3 weeks and all has been good but I'm having a sound issue from the trunk. When I'm going over 60 km/h or so I start hearing a rattling or knocking sound. It sounds like there is something in the underneath storage bin knocking up and down. Very plastic sound. I had some stuff stored in their but took everything out and the noise is still there. It almost sounds like the bottom of trunk floor cover plastic is bouncing on the plastic bin. It's pretty loud (Unless I crank the stereo ;-). Anyone else have that issue? I may try putting additional padding on the top of the bins to see if that helps.

Thanks!
There is a Secondary Plastic Tray at the far right side of the trunk in the storarge area, and there are a few emergency items below the tray, are any of them rattling?
DHood is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluntman72 View Post
I can't say that I've experienced anything like what you have described, but make sure to check your spare tire and the mechanism that holds it in place underneath the rear of the vehicle.
Had that thought as well...reached under and tried to rock the spare but it wasn't moving...
mattman3234 is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:13 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DHood View Post
There is a Secondary Plastic Tray at the far right side of the trunk in the storarge area, and there are a few emergency items below the tray, are any of them rattling?
Checked that...I even pulled the top of the tray off to see if that was making the noise...no luck.
mattman3234 is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Just an update in case someone else runs into the same issue....so....not really much of an issue. Had my wife drive the car while I was in the back listening and found the culprit....the dealership didn't fasten down the license plate all the way so the wind was catching it.
mattman3234 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattman3234 For This Useful Post:
billyt1963 (02-10-2019), GW208 (02-10-2019), subin (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
DrWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Age: 60
Posts: 165
Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mattman3234 View Post
Just an update in case someone else runs into the same issue....so....not really much of an issue. Had my wife drive the car while I was in the back listening and found the culprit....the dealership didn't fasten down the license plate all the way so the wind was catching it.
Dealers always tend to just use 2 screws to fasten the license plate. The first thing I do when I bring home a new car -- fasten down the license plate with 4 screws, after adding a few rubber bumpers underneath.
DrWoo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DrWoo For This Useful Post:
subin (02-12-2019)
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cray159
3G TL Problems & Fixes
118
02-20-2019 05:03 PM
charmer37
2G TL Problems & Fixes
6
12-09-2014 12:11 PM
simonjiang
3G TL Problems & Fixes
10
10-31-2013 01:12 AM
Fuda
1G TSX Problems & Fixes
4
05-31-2008 09:45 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk noise when driving over 60 km/h


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.