AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/)
-   -   Trunk noise when driving over 60 km/h (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/trunk-noise-when-driving-over-60-km-h-976782/)

mattman3234 01-28-2019 08:57 PM

Trunk noise when driving over 60 km/h

Hi all...been lurking for awhile. I've had my new Platinum Elite RDX for about 3 weeks and all has been good but I'm having a sound issue from the trunk. When I'm going over 60 km/h or so I start hearing a rattling or knocking sound. It sounds like there is something in the underneath storage bin knocking up and down. Very plastic sound. I had some stuff stored in their but took everything out and the noise is still there. It almost sounds like the bottom of trunk floor cover plastic is bouncing on the plastic bin. It's pretty loud (Unless I crank the stereo ;-). Anyone else have that issue? I may try putting additional padding on the top of the bins to see if that helps.

Thanks!

bluntman72 01-29-2019 05:07 AM

I can't say that I've experienced anything like what you have described, but make sure to check your spare tire and the mechanism that holds it in place underneath the rear of the vehicle.

DHood 01-29-2019 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mattman3234 (Post 16373089)
Hi all...been lurking for awhile. I've had my new Platinum Elite RDX for about 3 weeks and all has been good but I'm having a sound issue from the trunk. When I'm going over 60 km/h or so I start hearing a rattling or knocking sound. It sounds like there is something in the underneath storage bin knocking up and down. Very plastic sound. I had some stuff stored in their but took everything out and the noise is still there. It almost sounds like the bottom of trunk floor cover plastic is bouncing on the plastic bin. It's pretty loud (Unless I crank the stereo ;-). Anyone else have that issue? I may try putting additional padding on the top of the bins to see if that helps.

Thanks!

There is a Secondary Plastic Tray at the far right side of the trunk in the storarge area, and there are a few emergency items below the tray, are any of them rattling?

mattman3234 01-29-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by bluntman72 (Post 16373210)
I can't say that I've experienced anything like what you have described, but make sure to check your spare tire and the mechanism that holds it in place underneath the rear of the vehicle.

Had that thought as well...reached under and tried to rock the spare but it wasn't moving...

mattman3234 01-29-2019 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DHood (Post 16373240)
There is a Secondary Plastic Tray at the far right side of the trunk in the storarge area, and there are a few emergency items below the tray, are any of them rattling?

Checked that...I even pulled the top of the tray off to see if that was making the noise...no luck.

mattman3234 02-10-2019 07:45 PM

Just an update in case someone else runs into the same issue....so....not really much of an issue. Had my wife drive the car while I was in the back listening and found the culprit....the dealership didn't fasten down the license plate all the way so the wind was catching it.

DrWoo 02-11-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mattman3234 (Post 16380521)
Just an update in case someone else runs into the same issue....so....not really much of an issue. Had my wife drive the car while I was in the back listening and found the culprit....the dealership didn't fasten down the license plate all the way so the wind was catching it.

Dealers always tend to just use 2 screws to fasten the license plate. The first thing I do when I bring home a new car -- fasten down the license plate with 4 screws, after adding a few rubber bumpers underneath.