Mirror puddle light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Mirror puddle light?

Quick question, the mirrors have LEDs under them, but when I hit the button to open the doors they don’t illuminate, thoughts?
Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
They should illuminate as you approach the vehicle. Check your settings to see if there is a setting that has them disabled.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 PM
rek
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up my 2019 RDX Advance model yesterday. Mine does not have puddle lights under the mirror. There is only a camera under the mirror.

There is an incandescent light (yellow looking and not too bright) on the bottom of the door that comes “on” when the door is open. I guess that’s what they call the puddle light.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rek
I just picked up my 2019 RDX Advance model yesterday. Mine does not have puddle lights under the mirror. There is only a camera under the mirror.

There is an incandescent light (yellow looking and not too bright) on the bottom of the door that comes “on” when the door is open. I guess that’s what they call the puddle light.
This is correct. Unfortunately, it is significantly under powered. In looking at this in the dark, the interior lighting bleeds well onto the ground as the door opens.The area missed is between the car body and the angle that the interior light shines. The puddle like does a very poor job of filling in this or any area. Not really sure how the Acura engineers blew this one.

An after market change to beef up the bulb will likely help. (some day)

And yea - a true puddle light like found on European cars install them on the mirrors so when you unlock the car a light shines on the ground BEFORE you open the door. This usually happens with the remote from a distance from the car, the same concept does not translate well to a door you have to touch to open. (i.e. you are already standing in the puddle when you touch the door to open it) So for Acura we are stuck with a puddle light which helps when getting out of the car and it misses...

-Stan
The following users liked this post:
Cr7 (11-22-2021)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rek

Sorry. I was going on the experience I have with my 2015 TLX Advance. Sounds like the 2019 RLX Advance passed up some features like puddle lights and including the remote start button on the key fob as standard. However, they packed in a bunch of other features that I don't have and still kept the pricing reasonable.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
The puddle lights, though advertised on the US site are only available on the Canadian models of the RDX. There have been numerous errors in the manual as well as the press releases. This is nothing new, I have seen these feature listing errors in numerous other Acura vehicles I have owned over the last 10 years. Not sure if this is a marketing dept issue, but someone is beyond lazy when putting this important information out to the public. Love the vehicles, but sadly never trust anything on "paper" with Acura.
Cr7 (11-22-2021)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:59 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
There's an accessory for that.

Welcome Light - Acura (08V27-TJB-200)

Old 07-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
the puddle lights, though advertised on the us site are only available on the canadian models of the rdx. There have been numerous errors in the manual as well as the press releases. This is nothing new, i have seen these feature listing errors in numerous other acura vehicles i have owned over the last 10 years. Not sure if this is a marketing dept issue, but someone is beyond lazy when putting this important information out to the public. Love the vehicles, but sadly never trust anything on "paper" with acura.
ditto!!!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I just got a 2018 2.4 Elite ASpec with puddle lights under the mirrors. They activate on approach with the key in our pocket/hand. My mirrors were factory set to fold when the car locked on walk away, and vice versa when approaching. However, when washing the car yesterday with the key in my pocket, there was a lot of folding and unfolding with puddle lights going off and on and headlights flashing. Presumably I should simply keep the key in the car when washing or waxing, etc. Anyone else with this experience? I have scoured the manual with no luck.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I just got a 2018 2.4 Elite ASpec with puddle lights under the mirrors. They activate on approach with the key in our pocket/hand. My mirrors were factory set to fold when the car locked on walk away, and vice versa when approaching. However, when washing the car yesterday with the key in my pocket, there was a lot of folding and unfolding with puddle lights going off and on and headlights flashing. Presumably I should simply keep the key in the car when washing or waxing, etc. Anyone else with this experience? I have scoured the manual with no luck.
I don't have mirror folding, as it is not offered in the US, but yes, if key is in my pocket while hand washing it's constantly beeping as I wash past wherever the sensors are in the doors. I now keep the key in the house or in the car while washing.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I found a Faraday pouch that has a shielded sleeve and an unshielded sleeve that fits into a pants pocket. If when washing the car you put the key fob into the shielded sleeve, the signal is blocked and your car won't act schizophrenic when washing it. I ordered it via Amazon and I think it was about $15 or $20 US. It is also useful to store your keyfob in the shielded sleeve when not driving to keep the signal inside the pouch away from any prying electronics..
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anybody install the OEM Welcome LIght Kit? if so, how difficult? Curry sells he part for around 200 and dealer wants 400 to install. thanks
Cr7 (11-22-2021)