Limp mode 2019 A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Earwood
A couple of days ago, on April 19th, my wife and I were driving through Columbus, GA. It was around 7:00 AM and raining. We had been driving about 1 1/2 hours and we were only going around 30 MPH when I accelerated to pass a dump truck. The 2019 RDX (6000 miles) started accelerating and then lost all power. I was able to limp over to the side of the road without getting run over by the dump truck but it a was very scary couple of minutes. I turned the RDX off for a minute, restated and then continued our trip. I took the RDX to the Acura dealer in Macon the following day and even though the check engine light came on no codes were stored. The service department did a hard reset of the system hoping to fix the problem. They seem to think that Acura is coming out with a software fix soon but that always seems to be the standard answer. I'm now afraid to let my wife drive the RDX. I had previously thought that my biggest problem with the RDX was the Android Auto no show. Acura needs to fix this problem ASAP before someone gets killed.
Sorry you had to experience your RDX going into limp mode. Also, thank you for filing a complaint with NHSTA. That’s the only way we’re going to get AHM’s attention about this serious issue. If and when AHM comes up with a software update I just hope it indeed fixes the problem.

Last edited by 2019RDX; 04-22-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Advanced

I sent a PM to Acura on Facebook yesterday. Lo and behold, I heard back this morning that they’d like to “talk” to me about my issue. Right. It will be more lip service and thanks for being an Acura Customer and please don’t post anything on Facebook. My wife is even saying now we should get rid of the RDX even though we will lose thousands of dollars and endanger the motoring public. Oh, another complaint was just posted on NHSTA. This new one is from Minnesota.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Heard from Acura after contacting Acura Client Relations this afternoon and telling them I’m sick and tired (not necessarily in those words) of their foot dragging. I’m supposed to be contacted by a District Case Manager (someone’s who’s not a millennial?) in 1 or 2 business days to discuss my options regarding my RDX, whatever that means. Other than a new 2019 MDX at their cost and top dollar for my RDX they can take any other offer and stick it. I’m guessing my contacting Consumer Reports and the Center for Auto Safety and agreeing to talk to a reporter pushed the right buttons. Now it’s wait and see. Perhaps I should make a MAGA hat—Make Acura Great Again!
The following users liked this post:
Padre Dave (06-04-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced

I got a call today from the District Case Manager; a waste of 21 minutes of my life. He is going to get back to me on Monday since he is so busy. Right. Originally he was going to call back next Wednesday since he needs to talk to my selling dealer and the dealer I took my RDX to the day after it went into limp mode. I told him Wednesday was unacceptable. I didn’t think anything is going to happen. He was clueless, it seemed, about what limp mode was and while he was courteous he didn’t seem to care about me, just hoping I’d go away. Not going to happen until I’m totally satisfied.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Got a call from an Acura dealership down here Friday afternoon. AHM wanted their engineer to test drive my RDX and diagnose it over the weekend. He is doing such a good job that yesterday he was at Epcot (used location finder on AcuraLink app) for 4 hours in the parking lot. Before that my RDX was parked at his house until around 2:30 until he was at Epcot at 3. I am so pissed. That was so unprofessional and I texted the service guy I talked to on Friday. He didn’t seem to care and told me I gave permission for test driving. Today I can’t locate my RDX. I guess the a-hole is blocking AcuraLink. So far he’s put over 100 miles on my RDX that I know off and triggered 2 speed alerts over 85 mph. At this point I really don’t care what the engineer finds. I am so done with Honda/Acura and all their BS. I’m taking the hit and trading in the RDX tomorrow..

Last edited by 2019RDX; 04-28-2019 at 07:37 PM.
vidma (05-01-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
just wanna say; thank you for documenting your troubles.
it's beneficial for the community as a whole!
Old 04-30-2019, 05:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2019RDX
Got a call from an Acura dealership down here Friday afternoon. AHM wanted their engineer to test drive my RDX and diagnose it over the weekend. He is doing such a good job that yesterday he was at Epcot (used location finder on AcuraLink app) for 4 hours in the parking lot. Before that my RDX was parked at his house until around 2:30 until he was at Epcot at 3. I am so pissed. That was so unprofessional and I texted the service guy I talked to on Friday. He didn’t seem to care and told me I gave permission for test driving. Today I can’t locate my RDX. I guess the a-hole is blocking AcuraLink. So far he’s put over 100 miles on my RDX that I know off and triggered 2 speed alerts over 85 mph. At this point I really don’t care what the engineer finds. I am so done with Honda/Acura and all their BS. I’m taking the hit and trading in the RDX tomorrow..
Do you have any update if anything was found during an engineer test drive?

It is absolute disgrace that he would use your car for his personal trips. That is not how it is supposed to work.
I was planning to buy RDX but kept waiting as I wanted a solution for 2 big issues: "Limp mode" and "Oil Gas dilution". I see more and more reports with Honda CRV users having issues with engine (related to oil gas dilution) and at the same time I do not want to drive the car that might go into 'limp mode'. If Acura will not take these issues seriously (and take test cars for Epcot run and not actual proper tests), I am not buying RDX.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I actually got that offer from my local dealership. They were wanting to do an extended test drive to Disney. I declined the offer since I knew it take more of a longer drive than that to experience limp mode. But I was impressed that they would offer that to diagnose the issue.

By the way if anyone is wondering still going through a lawyer with my car to settle this issue.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 AM
Advanced

This will be my last post in Acurazine, unfortunately, but I will monitor the site from time to time to see if there will ever be a fix. The so called “engineer” found nothing after putting over 100 miles on my former RDX. The district case manager called Tuesday with the report after telling me he’d call Monday as I posted the other day. No apologies about the unauthorized use of my RDX, and no admission, or real concern, from AHM that the RDX is experiencing limp mode issues. BTW, another formal complaint was made to NHSTA a couple days ago.

I purchased a 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (Yes, I know most people think it’s an old man car, but I am an old man the last time I looked) Monday afternoon after getting the impression from the pendejo service writer I dealt with at the Acura dealership that there was nothing found. I took a $9,600 hit on the RDX, but let someone else worry about it now. I just pray they don’t get hurt or killed, or hurt/kill anyone else in the seriously defective RDX.

The Avalon is super nice and getting 41 mpg out of the box. Excellent handling and great initial pickup. It’s one of the highest rated vehicles by Consumer Reports, and deservedly so from what I can tell so far.

Well, that’s it from me. My older brother, the car nut, still has his RDX and has not had problem one. Happy trails to all the members at Acurazine. ˇAdiós! It’s been a pleasure. -30-

Last edited by 2019RDX; 05-02-2019 at 06:45 AM.
acuraada (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
This will be my last post in Acurazine, unfortunately, but I will monitor the site from time to time to see if there will ever be a fix. The so called “engineer” found nothing after putting over 100 miles on my former RDX. The district case manager called Tuesday with the report after telling me he’d call Monday as I posted the other day. No apologies about the unauthorized use of my RDX, and no admission, or real concern, from AHM that the RDX is experiencing limp mode issues. BTW, another formal complaint was made to NHSTA a couple days ago.

I purchased a 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (Yes, I know most people think it’s an old man car, but I am an old man the last time I looked) Monday afternoon after getting the impression from the pendejo service writer I dealt with at the Acura dealership that there was nothing found. I took a $9,600 hit on the RDX, but let someone else worry about it now. I just pray they don’t get hurt or killed, or hurt/kill anyone else in the seriously defective RDX.

The Avalon is super nice and getting 41 mpg out of the box. Excellent handling and great initial pickup. It’s one of the highest rated vehicles by Consumer Reports, and deservedly so from what I can tell so far.

Well, that’s it from me. My older brother, the car nut, still has his RDX and has not had problem one. Happy trails to all the members at Acurazine. ˇAdiós! It’s been a pleasure. -30-
If there's nothing to find, there's nothing to find. You can't always force something to fail on demand. By day, I'm a mechanical and electrical engineer for a company that designs and manufactures industrial heating equipment. Occasionally, we'll have a product that experiences a unique, intermittent problem that frustrates the customer and stumps our technicians who have been supporting our products daily for decades. On some of those occasions, I get pulled away from my normal routine to help. Sometimes, I'm unable to duplicate the problem or determine a cause myself - the moment I leave the problem reoccurs. In those instances, we'll start replacing parts until the issue resolves, but we're in a better position to do that than an automaker and independently-owned auto dealer.

The 2019 Avalon is a very comfortable and efficient automobile that hopefully proves to be reliable. However, when I see maneuvers like this I can't help but wonder why a person purchased an SUV in the first place if all they needed was a sedan or why they purchased a sedan knowing they'll have a need to haul more/bigger cargo than will fit in the trunk of a sedan.

It sounds like you took a much larger hit on the RDX than you should have. I lost $5,000 on mine trading it in after 3.5 months, but I understand every situation is different.

At the end of the day, no automobile is worth losing sleep over - life's too short. I, too, wanted to be enthralled with my RDX, but it had too many problems. Would I recommend one to someone else? Absolutely! Don't feel you have to leave this forum just because you no longer own an RDX.
acuraada (05-02-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Everyone,
New to the forums and have been lurking this thread for a while now. Have narrowed my new car choice to either the CX5 with turbo or the 3G RDX and would love to move forward with the RDX as it is my top choice but the limp mode issues that I am reading are scaring me away. Would like to know if anyone has any insight into whether not this issue pertains to early builds? (would plan to buy a late build 2019 as close to today as possible) Or would people recommend I just wait for the 2020 model and hope that Acura had patched this issue?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by g1huang
Hi Everyone,
New to the forums and have been lurking this thread for a while now. Have narrowed my new car choice to either the CX5 with turbo or the 3G RDX and would love to move forward with the RDX as it is my top choice but the limp mode issues that I am reading are scaring me away. Would like to know if anyone has any insight into whether not this issue pertains to early builds? (would plan to buy a late build 2019 as close to today as possible) Or would people recommend I just wait for the 2020 model and hope that Acura had patched this issue?

Thanks!
No problems like that here, after ~4,000 miles...
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
have you test drove both? i had high hops for cx5 too. While it is indeed impressive, especially when comparing to Subaru, CR-V or Rav4, it is still more near luxury than the RDX. Don't get me wrong, it's great value and got all the features you probably would want. The finish is nice. However, few points won out on the RDX, better sound system, larger pano and more space in back seats (especially the middle where the floor is near flat) and a bit more cargo space. Otherwise, it is a fine vehicle!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Hello everyone. I experienced limp mode again. I was driving home on a 600 mile drive through torrential downpours. The roads eventually cleared up and I went to pass someone and it went into limp mode. I coasted off the interstate into a gas station. My OBD reader says it was a cylinder 1 and 4 misfire. The car was running very roughly
Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KK689
Hello everyone. I experienced limp mode again. I was driving home on a 600 mile drive through torrential downpours. The roads eventually cleared up and I went to pass someone and it went into limp mode. I coasted off the interstate into a gas station. My OBD reader says it was a cylinder 1 and 4 misfire. The car was running very roughly
Sucks to have limp mode the second time but with ur obd reader we might be getting somewhere.
maybe Honda got a defective batch of coil and or spark plugs.
I had my limp mode during damp condition too. My dealer didn’t get a reading and they did nothing.
Hopefully your dealer will at least replace the coil and spark plugs under warranty. Make sure fight hard for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by omygod711:
KK689 (05-12-2019), xerious3d (10-07-2020)
Old 05-12-2019, 12:24 AM
Advanced

This is the fourth time it’s happened to me. It’s going to the dealership on Monday. The coils have already been moved around to different cylinders to pinpoint the issue. I have been lucky enough to have codes stored every single time except once. I’m not expecting it to be stored this time since it’s going to be in my garage
Old 05-13-2019, 12:26 AM
Cruisin'

Does anyone know if this issue pertains to both the FWD and AWD models?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Idk but mine is a FWD. Although I do wish I would’ve gotten the SHAWD though lol
Old 05-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Uh...so I had something weird happen today but I do not think it was a limp mode.

i was driving at about 35-40mph in some light stop and go traffic. I had approached and intersection, coasting, at about 20mph, anticipating a light change so I didn’t have to stop. As expected it turned and traffic kept flowing, I barely pressed the accelerator and the engine just revved, like it was in neutral, although it was in drive, comfort mode, normal mode not S mode or anything. I thought I had inadvertently hit the mistral button, so I tapped drive again which put it in S. At this point I’m coasting almost to a stop so I pull on the shoulder and it seems to find first gear, but is revving again as if it’s in neutral. It wasn’t like it was sputtering or had no pickup like the limp mode has been described, it was more like it wasn’t in gear. So I coast into a parking lot. Stop. Try to reverse into a parking spot but it didn’t do anything, just rev. So I go flab k to drive. It moves, but doesn’t go out of first gear, Revs high, like redline high of i had continued to press it. So I stop again, shut off the car, open the door, close it up, restart, and it is back to normal.

No dash lights or warnings ever came on. No strange noises or smells. I got home, then went back out and it’s been fine.

strange thing - but I don’t think it was limp mode....at least I hope not
Old 05-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Does anyone know if this issue pertains to both the FWD and AWD models?
Shouldn't make any difference at all...the vehicles are identical except for the AWD train and this has nothing to do with AWD.

I have over 8500 miles on her now and I have not experienced the limp mode issue...thankfully.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
People who have experienced this problem should post their build date / when they purchased it. I like to believe that this has occurred only for early builds. I bought my RDX March even after reading this thread and after 3,500km in and I have experienced zero issues.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Purchase date means nothing...it is the build date that would be important.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes but not everyone knows their build date off hand.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
Yes but not everyone knows their build date off hand.
There's a label on the driver's door jamb with the build date.
securityguy (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
There's a label on the driver's door jamb with the build date.
Yep...can't get any easier than that!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Advanced

My car is still at the dealership for the limo mode issue and for the horrible vibration at start up from a cold start. If I remember correctly mine was built either in July or August of 2018. On the other note my new 2019 RDX loaner is worlds better than mine at shifting (1-2 and. 2-3 shift) and at start up I don’t lurch and vibrate out of the garage.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

People who have experienced this problem should post their build date / when they purchased it. I like to believe that this has occurred only for early builds. I bought my RDX March even after reading this thread and after 3,500km in and I have experienced zero issues.
Would like to know this as well. If there are no mechanical problems with the later 2019 build dates and its just infotainment then I might be tempted to just buy a later 2019 than an early 2020
Old 05-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Same here...only 300 miles on RDX SW AWD. Accelerating, the car died on the highway with the AWD lights flashing informing me of a malfunction.
Re started...but car had maybe 50% power, and would not go over 60 mph.
The next day, normal. SO I will wait before taking in, as my nearest dealer is 100 miles away.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I didn’t experience limp mode until 8000 miles. Only had it happen one time, currently at 15k miles. June 2018 build.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

You do know that the Gen 2 RDX was basically a well dressed CR-V
So what? The same has been said about Gen 3.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Dente
So what? The same has been said about Gen 3.
The 3rd generation RDX no longer has anything in common with the CR-V. it's on a unique platform that is currently not used by any other Acura or Honda automobile.
markm929 (05-28-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 05:37 PM
5th Gear

May 25 2019: Another Limper

Below is what I just reported to NHTSA after experiencing this dangerous issue in my new (to me) Certified 2019 RDX Advance SHAWD while on a road trip. Mine is an early build.

What happened?

While driving on a 2 lane highway on May 25, 2019, I attempted to pass a slower moving vehicle by flooring the gas to overtake them, and crossing the hashed highway line. I was driving in an area where the road undulated, so passing was only legal in stretches where the road was flat with distant visibility. As I moved over and floored it to pass, the car hesitated and lost propulsion, and the engine light began flashing. I was forced to transition from an aggressive, but legal, passing maneuver, to swinging back into position behind the vehicle I was attempting pass, and in front of another vehicle tailing me, but now I was losing speed. The car behind me was forced to brake hard, and my mechanical failure put them and me at risk. As I slowed due to lost power while in limp mode, I moved to the shoulder, shut off my car, and waited a few minutes. I restarted and experienced no continuing issue. This issue is so far isolated in my experience, however I have researched it on the following site and see multiple reports of the same issue: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...-971802/page3/.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wmgentry
Below is what I just reported to NHTSA after experiencing this dangerous issue in my new (to me) Certified 2019 RDX Advance SHAWD while on a road trip. Mine is an early build.

What happened?

While driving on a 2 lane highway on May 25, 2019, I attempted to pass a slower moving vehicle by flooring the gas to overtake them, and crossing the hashed highway line. I was driving in an area where the road undulated, so passing was only legal in stretches where the road was flat with distant visibility. As I moved over and floored it to pass, the car hesitated and lost propulsion, and the engine light began flashing. I was forced to transition from an aggressive, but legal, passing maneuver, to swinging back into position behind the vehicle I was attempting pass, and in front of another vehicle tailing me, but now I was losing speed. The car behind me was forced to brake hard, and my mechanical failure put them and me at risk. As I slowed due to lost power while in limp mode, I moved to the shoulder, shut off my car, and waited a few minutes. I restarted and experienced no continuing issue. This issue is so far isolated in my experience, however I have researched it on the following site and see multiple reports of the same issue: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...-971802/page3/.
Sounds like limp mode to me. Did you take it to the dealer? The car throws codes and will keep them for a short while. At least mine does
Old 06-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Intermediate

What mine did to

Sounds like limp mode to me. Did you take it to the dealer? The car throws codes and will keep them for a short while. At least mine does
Build 2/19. SH-AWD ADVANCE
did it twice the first 3 days I owned the car. Then not since.
Dealer said they found nothing wrong.

It is discouraging.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by van mccarty
Build 2/19. SH-AWD ADVANCE
did it twice the first 3 days I owned the car. Then not since.
Dealer said they found nothing wrong.

It is discouraging.
Sorry to hear that. Personally I trade cars with my parents when I travel out of town when rain is in the forecast. It’s happened 4/5 times already to me. My build date was August of 2018.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:56 PM
5th Gear

I haven't made time yet. However, I did relay the same info I captured here to Acura's feedback loop. No response yet from them. If this happens again, it's going to the dealer.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Add me to the club. Our 2019 has 3,000+ miles. We're on vacation in Western NC. Wide open on-ramp- decided to floor it to see what she can do. Sport mode, FWIW. Same as others reported- engine cuts out, solid engine light comes on. Pulled over, turned off the engine, restarted and everything is normal. Did one more hard acceleration (not to the floor) without issues. We have a great Acura Service Department in Cary. We're heading home tomorrow and I will be contacting them on Monday.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by robnalex
Add me to the club. Our 2019 has 3,000+ miles. We're on vacation in Western NC. Wide open on-ramp- decided to floor it to see what she can do. Sport mode, FWIW. Same as others reported- engine cuts out, solid engine light comes on. Pulled over, turned off the engine, restarted and everything is normal. Did one more hard acceleration (not to the floor) without issues. We have a great Acura Service Department in Cary. We're heading home tomorrow and I will be contacting them on Monday.
Ours is at Dealer Service Dept. today. I asked them to test drive with hard (to the floor) acceleration before and after any work. It would be great if they can duplicate the issue, but you all know how that goes- rarely happens. I'll report back what, if anything, they find.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Advanced

What were the ambient conditions when this happened? Let us know if the dealership found stored codes
Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Racer

What were the ambient conditions when this happened? Let us know if the dealership found stored codes
Maybe a little drizzle- it had been raining off and on during the preceding days. The temperature was probably around 70 degrees. The car was in Sport/Drive. I don't know if ACC and/or LKAS were active.

Quick Reply: Limp mode 2019 A-Spec