Limp mode 2019 A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i own a 2019 Acura RDX. 2 Months ago I experienced Limp mode while passing someone on the highway (Flashing check engine light). There was a light rain that day but it was not raining when the event occurred but the highway was a bit wet. I have owned this vehicle for about 6 months prior to this occurring and was not aware of this limp mode issue. The next day I took my vehicle to the Acura dealership service center and had to pay 1 hour diagnostic fee. they found no stored codes and found no issues and told me to continue driving and if it happens again within the next 3 months I won't have to pay diagnostic fee. In frustration I spoke to the service manager and showed him the TSB i found which described my situation. He stated he has never heard of this issue before. He said he has seen in the winter when the intercooler fills with moisture and freezes and they have to bring it to the shop to thaw the intercooler and and that point they would receive the upgraded intercooler. he said in my case since there was no stored code that there was simply nothing which they can do for me and that was as far as they would help me. This service manager said this was the first time he has ever heard of a case where the check engine light code has not been stored. I find that surprising since on this forum thread multiple accounts of no stored codes is mentioned. I made a ticket with Acura Canada and they told me to take my vehicle to the dealership for diagnostic which they obviously weren't listening since my vehicle was already their once They concluded that he had not heard of this issue and I demanded they replaced my intercooler. They explained that there was no point because it would be replaced with the exact same intercooler so only until it completely fails would they replace it. I explained the USA TSB and they said in USA they replace the intercooler with an updated version but in Canada they only replace with it the original design. I made a claim with Transport Canada which appears to be a useless activity as they said they will monitor the situation. But this issue has been around since 2018 so how long does NHTSA and Transport Canada need to monitor the situation? I can't believe the level of unprofessional service from all levels of Acura, Honda, NHTSA, and Transport Canada. Does anyone have any advice for me because without producing an engine code they won't help me. What Code are they looking for? A misfire code? I doubt that alone will be enough to convince Acura to help me. Do i just bite the bullet and pay to have the intercooler replaced myself? Is it in fact an updated Intercooler? Because Acura Canada insists that if i replace my intercooler it will be replaced with the exact same part which I already have on my vehicle (the original stock part). Is there a good chance my Limp mode event in the rain has another explanation? The dealership service center said they will not perform the TSB because they have no way to know if that will ultimately be my fix! I am at a loss for how incompetent Acura is. And finally CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY THIS SUPER IMPORTANT CODE WHICH ACURA DEMANDS TO SEE ISN'T BEING STORED??? ARE THEY NOT ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE EITHER? WHY TO DEMAND A CODE WHICH DOESN'T GET STORED? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE RESET MECHANISM OF THE MISFIRE CODE
Old 10-18-2023, 05:24 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Curtwerty, it seems odd to me that they would replace the inter cooler with the same one, especially since they use an updated design in the USA. The limp mode issue happened to me twice, and there were no codes either time. I believe the TSB wasn’t out the first time, and they performed the work with no issues the second time. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
CurtyWerty (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 08:08 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble getting this taken care of.

The codes clear themselves after the car is stopped and started a couple of times as the condition no longer exists once the moisture is cleared from the intake system. That's why it's nearly impossible to show a dealer the code unless you drive straight there after it happens.

Have you tried talking to a different dealer? Many folks here in the states found that some dealers are more than happy to honor the TSB while others are just assholes. I had the limp mode issue happen a couple of times but got lucky with my dealer who performed the TSB work without question. The service manager you are dealing with is just trying to avoid doing the TSB work and ignoring the issue. To say that they would use the upgraded intercooler parts if it froze but not if the condition was caused by just water is asinine.

The TSB is issued by Acura and should be honored regardless if it's Canada or the US. I would try a different dealership and keep calling Acura Canada until you get some results. I know that isn't the best solution but it's what many of folks had to do here in the states until dealers started to get onboard.
CurtyWerty (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Wow, its really bad. Remember that Service advisors are not technical, so it could be just some duchess bag spewing crap. You can order parts yourself from US, TSB has a list of updated parts and then have it replaced by your local mechanic. They will not warranty this anyway because TSB does not apply for out of warranty (which is a big kick in the ass from Acura to their customers)
CurtyWerty (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
There is no DTC code specified in the TSB. Under Symptom it merely says, "The MIL is flashing with loss of power." You have satisfied the requirements of the TSB, so there is no reason for them not to do the work.

The TSB specifies what the corrective action is: Update the PGM-FI software and replace the intercooler, the intercooler outlet pipe assembly, and the intercooler outlet hose.

Even if they are able to pull a code, it isn't listed in this TSB. You should ask them, under what circumstances would they apply this TSB? They are asking for a code that isn't specified in the TSB!

Ron
CurtyWerty (10-18-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 07:15 AM
Drifting

Received 1,263 Likes on 918 Posts
It's probably been said a thousand times but avoid buying cars in the first model year of a new generation! The recent rollout of Mercedes' redesigned GLC has been a complete sh*tshow!
markm929 (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
It's probably been said a thousand times but avoid buying cars in the first model year of a new generation! The recent rollout of Mercedes' redesigned GLC has been a complete sh*tshow!
I have to admit, it seems like 90% of cars with problems on this forum, as well as Facebook, are either MY 2019 or to a lesser extent MY 2020. That doesn’t mean there aren’t problems with MY 2021+ but it sure seems like a lot less.

Last edited by Otherbmw; 10-19-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ELIN
You mean dont buy first 3 years when Acura comes up with NextGen car? The limp mode is present in 19-21. Or maybe the safest choice is to buy last year of the current Acura generation, this would be by far the most safest choice…. Is this what Acura brand has become? If so, maybe the safest choice is to buy Lexus. Its ridiculous to put blame on owners, Acura should be able to apply this TSB fix on all impacted cars as its a safety issue, but they rather save money vs keeping their customers safe.

Last edited by russianDude; 10-20-2023 at 06:00 AM.
ELIN (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 06:52 AM
Drifting

Received 1,263 Likes on 918 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
You mean dont buy first 3 years when Acura comes up with NextGen car? The limp mode is present in 19-21. Or maybe the safest choice is to buy last year of the current Acura generation, this would be by far the most safest choice…. Is this what Acura brand has become? If so, maybe the safest choice is to buy Lexus. Its ridiculous to put blame on owners, Acura should be able to apply this TSB fix on all impacted cars as its a safety issue, but they rather save money vs keeping their customers safe.
Agreed that Acura should just take the hit and apply TSB to all customers (even out of warranty) as a "good will" gesture.

One good example was when Toyota/Lexus were hit with a couple of lawsuits from "unintended acceleration". In order to overcome bad publicity and win back their customers, Toyota instituted 2 years of free scheduled maintenance for their cars. The plan worked and Toyota was able to regain much of their reputation back. Ironically, it turns out many of the cases and tragic accidents involving Toyota/Lexus vehicles were primarily due to "mis-pedal application": instead of slamming the brakes, they actually slammed the throttle!

Acura also recently instituted free scheduled maintenance starting with their MY23 cars but it has more to do w/being competitive as opposed to the "good will" gesture from Toyota.
markm929 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Every automaker has issues with their first and/or second MY after a major redesign. I’ve purchased first MY BMWs and Toyotas and both have had issues that were “fixed” in later years. After this experience, I’m a lot more reluctant to do this again.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Otherbmw
Every automaker has issues with their first and/or second MY after a major redesign. I’ve purchased first MY BMWs and Toyotas and both have had issues that were “fixed” in later years. After this experience, I’m a lot more reluctant to do this again.
Sure, there are more issues in the first year, but the fact that Acura does not make it a recall and people had to argue about safety is not acceptable. As I said before, safest choice is to buy last model years. However, you will be largely disappointed to see new body on the roads in a year which will make your car look old. Its a choice you have to make. I think there would be more customer support if something like that happened in Lexus/
Old 03-09-2024, 09:11 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2019aspec
I was driving on the highway about 75mph and I was trying to pass someone. Then my engine cutout and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate I believe it’s called “limp” mode. I had to pull over, shut the car off and turn it back on and everything is fine.

Has as anyone had this issue? I use premium gas, and the car has 1500 miles on it.

Yes, I’ve had it happen at least twice. I’ve also experienced the transmission just not working. You did the right thing pulling over and turning it off seems to be the only way to reset it. So lame though.