AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/)
-   -   Limp mode 2019 A-Spec (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/limp-mode-2019-spec-971802/)

2019aspec 07-23-2018 06:21 AM

Limp mode 2019 A-Spec

I was driving on the highway about 75mph and I was trying to pass someone. Then my engine cutout and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate I believe it’s called “limp” mode. I had to pull over, shut the car off and turn it back on and everything is fine.

Has as anyone had this issue? I use premium gas, and the car has 1500 miles on it.

ChrisBesu 07-23-2018 08:56 AM

High pressure fuel pump? Let us know if you get it diagnosed. Thanks

Fury63 07-23-2018 10:56 AM

This is where an ODB2 scanner would be nice to have.

windycitycy 07-23-2018 05:39 PM

Which ODB2 scanner would be recommended for the new RDX?

mrgold35 07-24-2018 09:10 AM

I usually can use my navi screen to drill down see the code for my 1st Gen RDX the last time I went into limp mode (failed i-Vtec solenoid, fixed under powertrain warranty)

justnspace 07-24-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by windycitycy (Post 16269253)
Which ODB2 scanner would be recommended for the new RDX?

any scanner will work.
cheapie ones from harbor freight work.

OBDII bluetooth dongles also work...which then you can pair to a device and read the info with an accompanying app

2019aspec 07-31-2018 02:41 PM

Acura had the car for 4 days, no codes when the hook the ODB2 scanner and there were no codes. they called a couple of other dealers and acura support to see if its a common problem or its a freak thing. They had another 19 RDX that had the same limp mode issue and they determined that it was there was a bad plug, which they checked on my car. so i basically got a 4 day car wash.

the 18 RDX loaner felt like a $40K CRV compared to the 19 RDX

vtec_inspired 07-31-2018 04:51 PM

At least they were able to fix it without an engineer's help. I couldn't imagine driving a 2nd a 2nd gen rdx after experiencing the 3g lol.

Burger Steak & Eggs 07-31-2018 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2019aspec (Post 16273209)

Tell us more. Less power? Firm ride?

2019aspec 07-31-2018 08:03 PM

The 2018 trunk seemed smaller since I load it up for weekend trips and I couldnt hold as much, handling was decent but might have been because the car didn’t accelerate as quickly

One thing better in the 18 was the trans shifted smoother. I’m used to driving stick so smoothness wasn’t a priority.

They definitely did a total redesign on the the interrior for 2019, all for the better. I never considered an RDX until I saw the 19. Hopefully it lasts. I have 184k on a 2011 outback and 142k on an 09 MDX both had normal maintenance and no major problems

Madd Dog 07-31-2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2019aspec (Post 16273209)
Acura had the car for 4 days, no codes when the hook the ODB2 scanner and there were no codes. they called a couple of other dealers and acura support to see if its a common problem or its a freak thing. They had another 19 RDX that had the same limp mode issue and they determined that it was there was a bad plug, which they checked on my car. so i basically got a 4 day car wash.

You do know that the Gen 2 RDX was basically a well dressed CR-V with the Accords bigger engine, not the Accord’s smaller one. Although the Gen 3 RDX also sports the Accord’s bigger engine, it is entirely on it’s own architecture.

billyt1963 08-08-2018 08:20 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but.....

i had had this experience tonight. I have had the car a little over a week, about 800 mile s so far. I turned right on red and someone was headed my way pretty quick. I gunned the engine and thought I saw a little black smoke out the back. Next thing I knew there was no acceleration and the check engine light was flashing. I got to where I could pull over safely, turned the car off, let it set a minute, then started back up. Ran fine after that.

A couple of things I noticed. The RPMs seemed to be above 6000 and it was almost like I tried the hard acceleration etween shifts. I was in sport mode when this happened.

My dealer is about 150miles away, so I am just going to watch what is happening.

Just wanted to let folks here know in case it happens some more.

Billy

Forgot to mention, I have a SH AWD, Advance.

2019aspec 08-10-2018 09:19 AM

let us know if they find anything, i was also in sport mode when it happened. i didn't notice any smoke, but i'm in NJ and the air is always off color...i've put 2000 miles on since it happened and so far so good.

rockstar143 08-10-2018 09:41 AM

who was that guy that was infamously familiar with the TLX and limp mode?
:rofl:

Yeah, buy a bluetooth scanner on amazon and pair it to your phone...

MTD 08-10-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by billyt1963 (Post 16277726)
A couple of things I noticed. The RPMs seemed to be above 6000 and it was almost like I tried the hard acceleration etween shifts. I was in sport mode when this happened.

Then Id suggest it was probably an over rev situation and the temp limp mode was a result. If it didnt stay in limp more and/or didnt show any codes Id also suspect it wasnt anything major. Limp mode is often in place so you dont do any damage by over revving or over boosting the engine.

I have an OBD reader and I havent noticed anything odd during normal driving. I would also be curious to see if the ECU limits boost under certain circumstances like many past turbo cars I have owned does. Some of them would limit boost if the car wasnt up to operating temps or low on gas.

Billy when this limp mode happened, was the car fueled and up to temps?

billyt1963 08-10-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 16278815)

When you say fueled I assume you are asking how much gas in the tank? It was probably between 1/2 to 3/4.
I had just driven about 20-30 minutes, so it should have been sufficiently warmed up.

Something odd I have noticed Since this happened. I don’t remember the auto-stop kicking in lately. I am overly sensitive to it now, so I will notice when it does kick in.

Thanks for the explanation. Being new to a turbocharged vehicle, I am sure I am going to have more learning to do.

Billy

omygod711 08-15-2018 07:21 AM

I also had this issue accelerating on a highway ramp, I accelerated to get to traffic speed, then engine light flash and limp mode. Pulled over and restart cleared it. I dropped the car to the dealer and they did not get any code. But they are hanging on to the car and asking Acura about it.

Stuck with a 17 TLX loaner, my RDX is so much batter.

justnspace 08-15-2018 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 16278815)
Then Id suggest it was probably an over rev situation and the temp limp mode was a result. If it didnt stay in limp more and/or didnt show any codes Id also suspect it wasnt anything major. Limp mode is often in place so you dont do any damage by over revving or over boosting the engine.

I have an OBD reader and I havent noticed anything odd during normal driving. I would also be curious to see if the ECU limits boost under certain circumstances like many past turbo cars I have owned does. Some of them would limit boost if the car wasnt up to operating temps or low on gas.

perhaps the terminology is wrong?
I dont think it's an "over-rev" condition... as that indicates a physical condition of the pistons kissing the valves.

perhaps, "over-boost" would be the more appropriate term?
where there is TOO much air for the turbo...as the condition is ripe for it..."in acceleration"

in any case, an OBDII reader will tell if the car is overboosting..
I doubt the car is limiting boost until it goes into limp mode..

which means something like an overboost condition can trigger the limp mode thus limiting boost...

Crashmaster 08-15-2018 08:00 AM

Most all of these problems are due to an undercharged battery. Most of these problems happen to newly purchased cars. The cars sit around and are moved around in the dealership without every really being driven. The battery goes slightly low. This is enough to cause all sorts of sensors to malfunction. The solution is very simple. Charge the battery on a slow charger overnight. That's also the reason the vehicle won't set a code. There is no malfunction. The problem is low voltage, which won't set a code. So purchasing an OBDII scanner won't really help in this situation. If you do nothing, the problem tends to go away anyway.

Fury63 08-15-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Crashmaster (Post 16280882)
Most all of these problems are due to an undercharged battery. Most of these problems happen to newly purchased cars. The cars sit around and are moved around in the dealership without every really being driven. The battery goes slightly low. This is enough to cause all sorts of sensors to malfunction. The solution is very simple. Charge the battery on a slow charger overnight. That's also the reason the vehicle won't set a code. There is no malfunction. The problem is low voltage, which won't set a code. So purchasing an OBDII scanner won't really help in this situation. If you do nothing, the problem tends to go away anyway.

Most of these cars are straight from the factory. This would not be the issue.

omygod711 08-15-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Crashmaster (Post 16280882)

My limp mode happened right after I had driven 40 miles to pick someone up and I had ~1000 miles on the odometer. I would assumed the car is all charged up and all break-in by then.

billyt1963 08-15-2018 05:22 PM

Has anyone that has experience limp mode noticed if you auto idle is still working?

i had limp mode happen a week ago and have not noticed auto idle since. I haven’t done much testing yet, haven’t even told the dealer.

Billy

omygod711 08-15-2018 05:30 PM

Auto idle is still working for me.

I just got the car back from service after they worked with it for 3 days. They can't find any code and did a bunch of test after talking to Acura and still come back with nothing. Acura actually told them it's the VSS causing limp which the service manager didn't believe because it's the engine light that was blinking and I had to pull over to get it clear out. All he can do is log this instance in the Acura network. Maybe enough of us report in they will take this seriously.

2019aspec 08-15-2018 06:03 PM

Auto Idle works for me, but if you figured out how to shut it off permanently, a lot of people would be interested.

dukeh62 08-15-2018 06:20 PM

Sorry to hear you guys are having this trouble. Does the engine shut down completely, or is it just a brief loss of power?

billyt1963 08-15-2018 06:29 PM

It is just a loss of power. Car will just go between 30-40 and the check engine light flashes.

I found out after it happened, the owners manual says the check engine light flashes, stop the car for 10 minutes. I stopped for 1 minute tops. Haven't had that trouble again, just no auto idle.

Billy

Fury63 08-20-2018 06:42 PM

Unfortunately I joined the club here today and had the most terrifying event on the interstate. I was at speed (70-ish) and pulled from the middle lane to pass a semi. I got just clear of him when I saw an amber flashing light in the lower portion of the dash. It had been raining and thought maybe it was traction control kicking in. Then I realize I lost almost all power. My foot was to the floor, tach was steady at 3000 and I had to move two lanes over in *big* hurry as my speed was dropping fast (was on an incline). I make it to the shoulder where I see the amber engine light is solid. I stopped the engine, open/closed the driver door then restarted. No warning lights and I’m able to take off again.
Not being overdramatic in any way but I was just north of Madison on I-39. A couple miles prior I was surrounded by semi trucks. This could have gone very bad. I’ve lost a bit of confidence in the RDX and under no circumstances will I let my wife drive it. I’m pretty sure she would not have realized what was going on.

I’m on mobile so I can’t see the original poster but what “plugs” were replaced? Spark plugs?

i appreciate any help. Also be careful executing aggressive maneuvers in this thing.

billyt1963 08-20-2018 06:52 PM

Fury63,

i am am sorry to hear that you have experienced this, it is not a fun experience. I hope when you take it the dealer they find something.

Please keep us posted on any findings.

Billy

Fury63 08-20-2018 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by billyt1963 (Post 16283729)
Fury63,

i am am sorry to hear that you have experienced this, it is not a fun experience. I hope when you take it the dealer they find something.

Please keep us posted on any findings.

Billy

Thanks Billy. I appreciate your post. I’ll pay attention to the s/s system to see if it acts differently. I was in Sport mode as well. Coincidentally I put my first tank of 87 octane in this morning. I was at a quarter tank or so and filled it shortly after this with 93. I’m not lying. This really shook me.

Burger Steak & Eggs 08-20-2018 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fury63 (Post 16283738)
Coincidentally I put my first tank of 87 octane in this morning.

I am wondering if it didn't pick up a large enough rattle to cause a limp. Normally they are supposed to just retard timing a ways and keep going, but perhaps with enough knock ???

billyt1963 08-20-2018 07:55 PM

The only problem is, as far as I know, my car has only had premium. The first tank was from the dealer, so I assume it was premium also.

Billy

dukeh62 08-20-2018 08:02 PM

Ugh, sorry this happened to you. This is absolutely terrifying thinking this can happen to any of us at any time.

Everyone should definitely report these incidents so hopefully Acura will put the effort into finding a solution.

2019aspec 08-20-2018 08:05 PM

Sorry to hear it happened to you as well, I put on about 3700 miles since it happened and it hasn’t gone into limp mode if that makes you feel better. I have gone from 50 mph to 90+mph mutiple times with no issues.

I’ve never gone as low as 87 oct. but I ran a full tank of 89 oct but I was getting less gas mileage and the car felt less peppy. 20 mpgs vs 24mpgs. I could have been more traffic that week for you trolls who are going to give a lesson on octane. But for the extra $0.35 per gallon I decided to keep it at 91-93 oct

id suggest taking it in to Acura when it’s dirty, at least you get a free car wash, and a loaner. It will also help our cause if this is an on-going issue

Ffsphynx 08-20-2018 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2019aspec (Post 16268814)
I was driving on the highway about 75mph and I was trying to pass someone. Then my engine cutout and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate I believe it’s called “limp” mode. I had to pull over, shut the car off and turn it back on and everything is fine.

Has as anyone had this issue? I use premium gas, and the car has 1500 miles on it.

This just happened to me at 70 mph on my 2019 RDX. I had LKAS on and adaptive CC. Once i was canceling the CC is when it happened to me. After shutting car off, waiting 30 seconds, turning on car, switching to drive, then park again, then drive, it went away and all systems worked again. I tried to recreate issue and could not make it fail again

Ffsphynx 08-20-2018 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2019aspec (Post 16283772)
Sorry to hear it happened to you as well, I put on about 3700 miles since it happened and it hasn’t gone into limp mode if that makes you feel better. I have gone from 50 mph to 90+mph mutiple times with no issues.

I’ve never gone as low as 87 oct. but I ran a full tank of 89 oct but I was getting less gas mileage and the car felt less peppy. 20 mpgs vs 24mpgs. I could have been more traffic that week for you trolls who are going to give a lesson on octane. But for the extra $0.35 per gallon I decided to keep it at 91-93 oct

id suggest taking it in to Acura when it’s dirty, at least you get a free car wash, and a loaner. It will also help our cause if this is an on-going issue

This car drives by wire. I work on aircraft that fly by wire. Many things are software and computer run for these types of "by wire" systems. I have this problem from time to time on aircraft. Restting it usually works. If the problem dont go away after resetting power, or by switchology, then its a legit problem.

No matter what the case, it needs to be reported because its a safety issue, and those types of issues sometimes can be fixed with fixing software and how things react with each other.

Ffsphynx 08-20-2018 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fury63 (Post 16280928)

Most of these cars are straight from the factory. This would not be the issue.

I can confirm I had the same problem, but the battery is not issue. Car was driving for a hour and a half being charged by the alternator. No signs of any power loss either. No systems flickered or reset. HUD, AC, and radio were still functional

Fury63 08-20-2018 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2019aspec (Post 16283772)

2019aspec you mentioned a plug being changed st the dealership. Can you elaborate?

i have an appointment Thursday which I’m sure will be a waste of time since it’s likely not repeatable.

Akari 08-20-2018 09:24 PM

FfSphynx, do you recall if you were in Sport mode? That seems to be the common denominator for everyone who's posted this issue thus far.

Ffsphynx 08-20-2018 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Akari (Post 16283815)
FfSphynx, do you recall if you were in Sport mode? That seems to be the common denominator for everyone who's posted this issue thus far.

I was in comfort mode

omygod711 08-21-2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Akari (Post 16283815)

I was in comfort mode too.