Limp mode 2019 A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
In the end, the reason for my Limp mode issue was that the intercooler charge pipe disconnected and I wanted to pass that along, as most people on here don't seem to find a reason for theirs..
This has been reported on the 10th Accord with the 2.0T as well.

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/...ission.511050/
Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
UPDATE:

So the mechanic said apparently the charge pipe is secured on with a screw clamp torqued to 29 N-m at the factory, but should be 28 N-m. That 1 N-m makes all the difference in how the connection seats, which leads to the charge pipe being able to separate from its connection while under boost. This can happen over time.

Mine is all fixed and runs like it did before the Limp mode. Should things change…I'll report back.
I appreciate your sharing this, but it's worth noting that your experience, and that described on the Honda thread is somewhat different than most of us who experienced "limp mode" on hard acceleration with engine light only flashing. Also, most of us found that after a re-start everything was normal and there were no warning lights. May be related- may not.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 2019aspec
I was driving on the highway about 75mph and I was trying to pass someone. Then my engine cutout and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate I believe it’s called “limp” mode. I had to pull over, shut the car off and turn it back on and everything is fine.

Has as anyone had this issue? I use premium gas, and the car has 1500 miles on it.
Yes, yesterday on a busy interstate hwy travelling at 70 MPH the engine cut out and engine light came on. Speed dropped to 30 MPH nearly getting rear ended by a semi !!!!!! After shipping my pants, I was able to maneuver off the road. Sat for awhile before calling AAA. Car restarted and made it home. Going to the dealer this AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 AM
Pro

In all my decades of driving, I've never encountered a situation where coasting resulted in nearly getting rear ended. I can't help but think that many of these claims of near misses are sensationalized.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

Angry Limp Mode

Happened to me Sunday, took to dealer Monday and they could get no code to show. Have to hope it doesn't occur again.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
In all my decades of driving, I've never encountered a situation where coasting resulted in nearly getting rear ended. I can't help but think that many of these claims of near misses are sensationalized.
I saw a guy on the Merritt Parkway in CT (2 narrow lanes, cars only with average speed of about 80). His car apparently died and he was coasting in the fast lane attempting to move over....it was a nightmare. People were swerving like crazy trying to avoid him. The Merritt has virtually nowhere to pull over and the traffic is very heavy and fast. I drive the Merritt daily and this is one of my concerns with the RDX. Next test drive I am going to do a ton of rapid accelerations simulating passing to see if I can induce this (but not on the Merritt). Coasting is probably not as horrible IF you have time and a path to move off of the highway.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Cruisin'

I was driving on the highway about 75mph and I was trying to pass someone. Then my engine cutout and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate I believe it’s called “limp” mode. I had to pull over, shut the car off and turn it back on and everything is fine.

Has as anyone had this issue? I use premium gas, and the car has 1500 miles on it.
My 2019 went into 'limp mode' on Interstate doing 70 mph. Restarted after sitting aafew minutes. Went to dealer for code scsn. They found no issues. Waiting to see if it reoccurs. If so . . . . the car is gone.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:03 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My car went into limp mode again. This is the 6th time, if I’m not mistaken. Car had a burning smell when I got out and it shook worse than it ever has before. Codes on my obd reader were cylinder 1 and 4 misfire. Car was towed into my dealer and I’m in a loaner
Old 07-25-2019, 08:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KK689
My car went into limp mode again. This is the 6th time, if I’m not mistaken. Car had a burning smell when I got out and it shook worse than it ever has before. Codes on my obd reader were cylinder 1 and 4 misfire. Car was towed into my dealer and I’m in a loaner
Any common conditions when it's happened, such as rainy? Keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by robnalex
Any common conditions when it's happened, such as rainy? Keep us posted.
Same as always, it was a rainy day. Ambient temp of 70ish. Comfort mode, but every time it happens my car changes to sport mode. I’ll report back what the dealership
The following 2 users liked this post by KK689:
GW208 (07-25-2019), romicva (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:33 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe they are sensationalized. I know mine wasn't. I guess you drive in a good area. I'm in Northern Virginia where tailgaters are normal. Imagine entering the highway and just as you speed up to merge the car goes into limp mode. Construction area/no shoulder. There are many such scenarios that could lead to an accident. Also, someone may get scared when their car goes into limp mode and slam on their brakes because they have no idea what's going on.
The following users liked this post:
robnalex (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sheikh_Har
I'm in Northern Virginia where tailgaters are normal.
Then that's the tailgater's error.

Originally Posted by Sheikh_Har
Also, someone may get scared when their car goes into limp mode and slam on their brakes because they have no idea what's going on.
Then that's the driver's error.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced

After 6 times of the issue occurring Acura has authorized a repair to my car! IT TOOK 6 TIMES. They are replacing my fuel injectors. Personally I think this won’t fix the issue... but time will tell I suppose. The dealer will be cleaning my engine out as well they told me.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:13 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Make sure they change your blinker fluid and replace the muffler bearings, after they replace the Piston return springs.
The following 3 users liked this post by skarface:
Bob_Durk (07-27-2019), KK689 (07-26-2019), zroger73 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Pull out onto a major 2-lane highway truck route, accelerate briefly to 20-30 mph or so, then coast.

Been there, more than once, but it wasn't an RDX, it wasn't by choice, and it wasn't fun. Suddenly losing power while merging into traffic is no friggin joke.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
Bob_Durk (07-27-2019), robnalex (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Racer

After 6 times of the issue occurring Acura has authorized a repair to my car! IT TOOK 6 TIMES. They are replacing my fuel injectors. Personally I think this won’t fix the issue... but time will tell I suppose. The dealer will be cleaning my engine out as well they told me.
Please keep us posted. After 6 occurrences, unfortunately for you, yet fortunately for us, you're an excellent test case.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
We'll keep our fingers crossed that new injectors fix your problem but I would be a little skeptical also. To me this sounds more and more like the problem early Ford Ecoboost motors we're having. Condensation is building up in the intercooler and under full throttle enough water is being sucked in to cause a misfire.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GW208
We'll keep our fingers crossed that new injectors fix your problem but I would be a little skeptical also. To me this sounds more and more like the problem early Ford Ecoboost motors we're having. Condensation is building up in the intercooler and under full throttle enough water is being sucked in to cause a misfire.
If this is the problem then the solution Ford found was to block off part of the intercooler with a metal plate as it was cooling the turbocharger air too much, causing condensation. This of course would lower the advertised HP the engine can generate. Bit of a damned if they do, damned if they don’t. The designers of the 3rd Gen RDX were pushing too hard to have a comparable HP number compared to the 2nd Gen RDX and this is what happens. At least the RDX woes seems better than Volkswagen IV turbos which can completely flood and seize the engine in Canadian winters.. it is crazy watching YouTube videos of people disconnecting the hose and letting the water out.

VW thread:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ign-Flaw&amp=1

Last edited by Blu2; 07-27-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Blu2
If this is the problem then the solution Ford found was to block off part of the intercooler with a metal plate as it was cooling the turbocharger air too much, causing condensation. This of course would lower the advertised HP the engine can generate. Bit of a damned if they do, damned if they don’t. The designers of the 3rd Gen RDX were pushing too hard to have a comparable HP number compared to the 2nd Gen RDX and this is what happens. At least the RDX woes seems better than Volkswagen IV turbos which can completely flood and seize the engine in Canadian winters.. it is crazy watching YouTube videos of people disconnecting the hose and letting the water out.

VW thread:
Same engine in the civic type R puts out more power then our RDX, they turned the RDX down a bit
Old 07-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Blu2

VW thread:
Pushing too hard on the engine? No. We know the engine can do more. A design problem? maybe. We just don't know and speculating. We might never know because even if Acura would fix the problem in coming RDX, it would probably never going to offer a recall unless it becomes a statistical relevant problem, just like the ZF tranny issue.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had our new RDX for 1 week and unfortunately had my first limp mode incident. I was accelerating onto an onramp and decided to floor it to get up to highway speeds. The car immediately went into limp mode and I limped to the next exit at 40 miles per hour. When I took it in, there was a temporary DTC of P0301. "Please advise guest that this could possibly be from some bad fuel. Suggest making sure that the guest gets good fuel at a known good reputable gas station."
Old 07-31-2019, 11:26 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will also add that I was on a long road trip and went through some heavy rain that day. Is there a known cause or fix for this yet???
Old 08-01-2019, 06:50 AM
mch
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the cause is definitely not the bullshit response you got from Acura. If they have canned responses already lined out due to the numerous issues it would seem likely they know or have a good theory what the issue is.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:58 AM
Advanced

I got my car back yesterday and they also replaced the high pressure fuel line as well as the fuel injectors. It’s funny because several people at the dealer asked if I started lemon law on this car yet 😂
Old 08-01-2019, 07:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DrWoo:
Thanks for your post. I also have an 2019 Advance mostly driving in Comfort mode, i have a quick question re: the ride quality of this vehicle. I have a feeling that this car ride is too bumpy. Do you have the same feeling? I thought of reducing the air pressure from the 4 tires down to 32PSI but still doesn't know if this is advisable or not. Any thoughts from you please?
Thanks-in-advance for your reply.
David
Old 08-04-2019, 02:18 AM
Drifting

It is not advisable to run the tires below the recommended pressure, because excessive flex of the sidewalls at low pressures may cause the tires to overheat and fail, perhaps catastrophically. ( Remember the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle? )

An exception can be made for short-term low-speed operation in sand or extremely slippery conditions, but the tires should be re-inflated to spec for highway use.

If you want to run tires at a slightly lower pressure to improve comfort, consider purchasing a tire/wheel package with a higher profile tire, such as 235/60R18.

But really, if you don't like the sporty suspension of the 2019 RDX, you might be better off trading for a different vehicle. It's part of the package.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 AM
10th Gear

Thanks Wander for your advise post. Truthfully i was considering trading it off but it's just over 6-mos and i'm not sure how do get out of a lease this early. Perhaps other(s) might be giving me some ideas? Thanks all-in-advance.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:18 PM
3rd Gear

Major issues with my 2019 RDX!

My car actually slams on the brakes going over 60mph to a dead stop. I have to put it in park and then drive again before getting it to go in the middle of the road!! I have had it happen 8 times with it being in the shop numerous times with them always saying “sorry but we can’t duplicate the issue.” Also, my infotainment screen is solid black or crazy lines thru it. No radio controls, no GPS, no backup camera, etc. Acura customer service was 0 help! The dealerships just keeps resetting the system. It will work fine for 1 day then will go back to a black screen. I am on day 38 of a nonworking screen! I finally had to hire a experienced Lemon Law lawyer, which is what we are dealing with now. I also feel so unsafe in this vehicle!
Old 08-04-2019, 08:19 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DKN0524
Thanks Wander for your advise post. Truthfully i was considering trading it off but it's just over 6-mos and i'm not sure how do get out of a lease this early. Perhaps other(s) might be giving me some ideas? Thanks all-in-advance.
Basically just take it to any dealer of the next car you want and trade it in! My previous 2 leases I traded in early because I wanted something different.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by Alissa Jenson
My car actually slams on the brakes going over 60mph to a dead stop. I have to put it in park and then drive again before getting it to go in the middle of the road!! I have had it happen 8 times with it being in the shop numerous times with them always saying “sorry but we can’t duplicate the issue.” Also, my infotainment screen is solid black or crazy lines thru it. No radio controls, no GPS, no backup camera, etc. Acura customer service was 0 help! The dealerships just keeps resetting the system. It will work fine for 1 day then will go back to a black screen. I am on day 38 of a nonworking screen! I finally had to hire a experienced Lemon Law lawyer, which is what we are dealing with now. I also feel so unsafe in this vehicle!

Holy crap. I feel for you.

How many dealers have you visited? It may be of value to visit a different dealer.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by honda2002-
I've had our new RDX for 1 week and unfortunately had my first limp mode incident. I was accelerating onto an onramp and decided to floor it to get up to highway speeds. The car immediately went into limp mode and I limped to the next exit at 40 miles per hour. When I took it in, there was a temporary DTC of P0301. "Please advise guest that this could possibly be from some bad fuel. Suggest making sure that the guest gets good fuel at a known good reputable gas station."
I had the same issue. When I bought the car the salesman said an advantage was using 85 Octane fuel. That's what I used at first.(I noticed the exhaust tips were very carboned up even using Shell.) Read the manual after the 'limp mode' incident and learned I needed to use the higher grade gasoline. Switched to high octane, no more carbon build up on exhaust tips and car does seem to run smoother. Under heavy acceleration on entrance ramps, no more ' limp mode' and tons of acceleration power.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry 2019 RDX Limp Mode

I figured I would share this info about our RDX going into limp mode over the weekend. Our vehicle is the A-spec model with 9,200 miles currently. I was making an early morning airport run and the vehicle was running for approximately an hour before it went into limp mode as I am driving on I-85(Atlanta). I did encounter a good downpour of rain on the way down to the airport from my home, but on the way back the rain had stopped and the road was fairly dry. Now to the issue at hand, I was passing a slow driver in the left lane, I accelerated and passed the vehicle and after merging back into the left lane I noticed immediate loss of power. I didn't realize for 10 seconds or so that vehicle's check engine light was flashing in the bottom righthand corner of the gauge cluster. I then begin to merge over 6 lanes of the interstate as the RDX's power drastically declined and I could not apply throttle past 2k RPM. Luckily there was minimal traffic(6:30am) and I was able to safely exit the highway. I pulled into a near by Quicktrip and turned off the vehicle, waited a few minutes or so and turned the vehicle back on and went about my way home without any further issues. I call my local dealership where the vehicle was purchased from this am and of course no one picks up. I decide to head down and report the issue with service dept. and have them look over the vehicle to figure out the issue. This is my 2nd trip to the dealership in a week, I had the window trim replaced and infotainment system checked out because it wouldn't turn off during a previous trip and I had to press a bunch of random buttons to get the system to reset. Anyhow I will report back on this thread to what they find out at the dealership, I am assuming they won't be able to replicate the issue as that is standard protocol amongst all dealership nowadays

Ohh, I almost forgot to mention the service advisor advised me not to use the CarPlay system until a software update is released by Acura because it cause other issues with the vehicle.. WTF, I told my service advisor to have Acura refund me a portion of my monthly payment due to them selling me a vehicle with constant infotainment issues.. SMH! I also advised him the vehicles ECU which controls the engine and transmission shouldn't have anything to do with the infotainment software.. Come on ACURA figure out your S***!! My wife and I love the RDX, but the infotainment and now the limp mode thing is really leaving a bad impression of the current state of Acura(coming from a Acura fan boy)

Last edited by Twinbrings; 08-05-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Be comforted knowing that you're not alone.

Last edited by EE4Life; 08-05-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
the Honda accord 2.0T suffers the same exact problem
Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Twinbrings
I figured I would share this info about our RDX going into limp mode over the weekend. Our vehicle is the A-spec model with 9,200 miles currently. I was making an early morning airport run and the vehicle was running for approximately an hour before it went into limp mode as I am driving on I-85(Atlanta). I did encounter a good downpour of rain on the way down to the airport from my home, but on the way back the rain had stopped and the road was fairly dry. Now to the issue at hand, I was passing a slow driver in the left lane, I accelerated and passed the vehicle and after merging back into the left lane I noticed immediate loss of power. I didn't realize for 10 seconds or so that vehicle's check engine light was flashing in the bottom righthand corner of the gauge cluster. I then begin to merge over 6 lanes of the interstate as the RDX's power drastically declined and I could not apply throttle past 2k RPM. Luckily there was minimal traffic(6:30am) and I was able to safely exit the highway. I pulled into a near by Quicktrip and turned off the vehicle, waited a few minutes or so and turned the vehicle back on and went about my way home without any further issues. I call my local dealership where the vehicle was purchased from this am and of course no one picks up. I decide to head down and report the issue with service dept. and have them look over the vehicle to figure out the issue. This is my 2nd trip to the dealership in a week, I had the window trim replaced and infotainment system checked out because it wouldn't turn off during a previous trip and I had to press a bunch of random buttons to get the system to reset. Anyhow I will report back on this thread to what they find out at the dealership, I am assuming they won't be able to replicate the issue as that is standard protocol amongst all dealership nowadays

Ohh, I almost forgot to mention the service advisor advised me not to use the CarPlay system until a software update is released by Acura because it cause other issues with the vehicle.. WTF, I told my service advisor to have Acura refund me a portion of my monthly payment due to them selling me a vehicle with constant infotainment issues.. SMH! I also advised him the vehicles ECU which controls the engine and transmission shouldn't have anything to do with the infotainment software.. Come on ACURA figure out your S***!! My wife and I love the RDX, but the infotainment and now the limp mode thing is really leaving a bad impression of the current state of Acura(coming from a Acura fan boy)
Welcome to the club!
Old 08-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Cruisin'

LOL.. Thanks! It's BS that Acura/Honda hasn't figured this issue out yet.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts

Ohh, I almost forgot to mention the service advisor advised me not to use the CarPlay system until a software update is released by Acura because it cause other issues with the vehicle.. WTF, ...
I KNEW IT!!

Old 08-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Ohh, I almost forgot to mention the service advisor advised me...
This could be the inspiration for a reality TV show along the lines of "The Craziest Sh*T You Ever Heard".
Old 08-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

We hear ya twinbrings. For the cost of the car we shouldn't have these issues.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Cruisin'

Update: Dealership called me this morning and stated no fault codes stored, so I am SOL(I predicted correctly in my original post).. I spoke to the SA and SM and voiced my displeasure about the whole situation. I advised them that it is complete BS that they are feeding a customer the standard line of no fault codes stored, so nothing could be done to my vehicle to investigate the problem. I also stated this is my wife's vehicle and she travels on the interstate daily and the diagnosis they have provided me so far has left me with little faith in Acura brand or their service department. They did offer to keep me in the loaner vehicle and do some extensive test drives with our vehicle to replicate the issue. I advise them per the Acurazine forum the issue seems to primarily occur during humid or raining conditions(which was my scenario) and just my luck we have no rain forecasted for the next 7-10 days in the Atlanta area. I advised the SM and SA to read the pages that are documented on the AZ forum and hopefully develop a clue as to what is going on with these 2.0T engines in the RDX. I advised them I will call once there is some rain in the forecast to schedule an appointment. I picked up the vehicle put it immediately in sport+ and floored it at every single traffic light on my journey back home this am, just to see if it acted funny in anyway, nothing occurred, but it was a enjoyable ride home .. I will report back to this thread, if I do decide to take it back in for the SA/master tech to drive around my vehicle for a few days.

Quick Reply: Limp mode 2019 A-Spec