Limp mode 2019 A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

Almost every instance I have read here about this has been people feeling the need to pass someone while already doing 70+. I don’t know where everyone lives but most highways I drive are 70 speed limit tops. The need to mash down the pedal to pass anyone is rare. It’s aggressive driving and probably just as unsafe as the car going into limp mode anyway.

im not making light of the fact that it’s an issue and scary and yes could have very bad results, but I do question why people feel the need to drive so aggressively. Maybe I’m sensitive to it being in Delaware where hundreds die every year on rt 1 as a result of people doing 80-90+ on roads that are limited at 65 which is honestly still too fast given the volume of traffic and the lack of barriers in the medians.

Sorry if if I offended anyone or made you feel like your issue isn’t serious.

I am one of the individuals who posted above about experiencing limp mode. I have been driving for over 40 years, and have never been at fault in an accident, and I was hit one time over 40 years ago, so I consider myself a fairly safe driver. I was attempting to get around an erratic driver ahead of me in a 65 mph zone when I accelerated to about 70 very quickly. Suddenly limp mode hit. It was not fun. The dealer found no codes. I opened a ticket, and Acura’s response in a phone message was basically that they took note of it.

And below Richmond on 95, the speed limit is 70 most of the way. Car should not react like that at 70 mph.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeh62
Yup...agreed.

The car has a govenor-limited top speed of 113mph. So the excuse that it's "shutting itself down to protect itself" at 70-80mph is pretty far-fetched.

Also, let's not forget this car has an automatic transmission. If the car was programmed to "protect itself from damage" at higher accelerations it would up-shift. If not, than again...it's a design flaw...not user error.
I think the point of limp mode is to prevent over revving the engine and blowing it up. So at 70 mph when you try to slam the pedal to the road beneath the car, it trips the breaker so to speak as a way of preventing a hard Downshift and over rev. At least that’s my understanding of it. It’s technically working the way it should so that’s why no codes get thrown. But it appears to be more sensitive to some owners. Keep reporting it though. If it’s happening under so called normal conditions then it’s an issue. But I stand by my point about slamming it to the floor. Be gentle 😝 . There is plenty of juice in this car. 280 something ft lbs of torque right?

Old 01-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

I think the point of limp mode is to prevent over revving the engine and blowing it up. So at 70 mph when you try to slam the pedal to the road beneath the car, it trips the breaker so to speak as a way of preventing a hard Downshift and over rev. At least that’s my understanding of it. It’s technically working the way it should so that’s why no codes get thrown. But it appears to be more sensitive to some owners. Keep reporting it though. If it’s happening under so called normal conditions then it’s an issue. But I stand by my point about slamming it to the floor. Be gentle 😝 . There is plenty of juice in this car. 280 something ft lbs of torque right?

Rev limiters and "limp mode" have almost nothing to do with each other.

All modern car engines have various mechanisms to prevent the engine from over-revving, but none have any mechanisms to object to the user demanding the maximum power the engine was designed to produce, which is typically produced pretty darn close to redline. Most cars sold in the USA do have speed limiters that will roll off power when you approach a designated maximum speed.

Most of the time, the transmission controller will force an upshift and the engine controller will gently roll off power for the shift if you are accelerating and rapidly approaching rpm "redline".

If you do manage to trick the transmission and engine controller into a "hard-hit" over-revving situation ( as can more easily happen in cars with manual transmissions or less intelligent ATs ), the engine controller will get more aggressive with cutting fuel and whatever else it takes to protect the engine from excessive rpm ( NOT excessive power ). This is called "bouncing off the rev limiter" because that's what it feels like. If you are silly enough to stay "on the gas" the engine will cut out until it drops below redline, surge forward again, and repeat until you get a clue and lift your right foot. It sounds and feels terrible, but the vast majority of the time the engine protects itself, no "codes" are thrown, and life goes on.

[ One situation the engine controller may not be able to control is an over-rev from engine braking down a descent. That's up to the transmission controller. And/or the idiot behind the steering wheel. ]

"Limp mode" should only be invoked when a "trouble code" has been generated by the engine controller, and that should NEVER HAPPEN in normal operation, including running the engine right up to redline. If codes are getting thrown from accelerating on the highway, something is wrong. If "limp mode" is being invoked, something is wrong. End of story.

Whether that "something wrong" is a messed up transmission controller that is allowing downshifts into an over-rev condition, is a relevant question. But so far, there has been no documentation of that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
dukeh62 (01-03-2019), kboo74656 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Wander
Rev limiters and "limp mode" have almost nothing to do with each other.

All modern car engines have various mechanisms to prevent the engine from over-revving, but none have any mechanisms to object to the user demanding the maximum power the engine was designed to produce, which is typically produced pretty darn close to redline. Most cars sold in the USA do have speed limiters that will roll off power when you approach a designated maximum speed.

Most of the time, the transmission controller will force an upshift and the engine controller will gently roll off power for the shift if you are accelerating and rapidly approaching rpm "redline".

If you do manage to trick the transmission and engine controller into a "hard-hit" over-revving situation ( as can more easily happen in cars with manual transmissions or less intelligent ATs ), the engine controller will get more aggressive with cutting fuel and whatever else it takes to protect the engine from excessive rpm ( NOT excessive power ). This is called "bouncing off the rev limiter" because that's what it feels like. If you are silly enough to stay "on the gas" the engine will cut out until it drops below redline, surge forward again, and repeat until you get a clue and lift your right foot. It sounds and feels terrible, but the vast majority of the time the engine protects itself, no "codes" are thrown, and life goes on.

[ One situation the engine controller may not be able to control is an over-rev from engine braking down a descent. That's up to the transmission controller. And/or the idiot behind the steering wheel. ]

"Limp mode" should only be invoked when a "trouble code" has been generated by the engine controller, and that should NEVER HAPPEN in normal operation, including running the engine right up to redline. If codes are getting thrown from accelerating on the highway, something is wrong. If "limp mode" is being invoked, something is wrong. End of story.

Whether that "something wrong" is a messed up transmission controller that is allowing downshifts into an over-rev condition, is a relevant question. But so far, there has been no documentation of that.
Ah thanks for explaining that. It sounds like a busted rotator splint 😂 (name that movie).

Joking aside, I guess my question then is if this isn’t supposed to be the way limp mode works then why are dealers just dismissing these reports? It would seem pretty obvious that something isnt working right despite the no code and one would assume that Acura would know relatively easily and quickly what would be at fault for it....sort of sounds to me like the computer that comes controls this system needs an update.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Precision crafted performance (as long as you don't ever plan on driving over 70 mph). You gotta read the fine print on these things...lol

It's pretty hilarious that someone would actually try to defend a brand new car going into limp mode because you tried to accelerate and pass someone going 70 mph. Something is seriously wrong.
The following users liked this post:
dukeh62 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hello. I have filed a formal complaint about this issue with NHTSA. Read it online in a couple of days. It was a very harrowing experience to say the least. Acura dealership was clueless, but I have been told by a little bird Acura is investigating albeit on the QT.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Advanced

The little bird said the problem “might” be the fuel pickup in the gas tank, but the whole tank was removed for investigation on the RDX they were told about. I was also asked by the little bird it is was raining when my limp mode occurred; it was. Strange. I hope this is resolved before someone is seriously hurt or dies. My wife and I were very close to causing a major wreck.
subin (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2019RDX
The little bird said the problem “might” be the fuel pickup in the gas tank, but the whole tank was removed for investigation on the RDX they were told about. I was also asked by the little bird it is was raining when my limp mode occurred; it was. Strange. I hope this is resolved before someone is seriously hurt or dies. My wife and I were very close to causing a major wreck.
Damp/Misty night when it happened to me.

Last edited by DrWoo; 01-03-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
First time it happened it was 8-9 in the morning, in the seventies, clear. Second time it was ten at night, very humid, but that’s it.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
So, let me get this straight: travelling at high speed, about 70mph, and a demand for significant power is made.

The transmission downshifts? Revs go to over 4K, and then limp mode?

I am driving to Florida in a few weeks, and 70mph is a pretty standard speed. You also sometimes need a burst of power.

Am I getting this right?
Old 01-03-2019, 05:04 PM
Advanced

Yes. It’s a weird feeling. You floor the car and it downshifts, but the power just isn’t there. It feels like you’re driving a car with half of the power. The car starts shaking and you go into limp mode. When you go into the limp mode that is when the check engine light starts flashing. By then you better get over ASAP because you aren’t able to go faster than 10 mph in limp mode. A restart fixed it the second time it happened to me, but the first time a restart didn’t work and I had to tow it in.

This is little birdie someone was talking about who wasn’t investigating this issue... is there any inkling of what it is? The reason I ask is that I don’t want to own this car if this is going to be an issue with no fix in sight.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by KK689
Yes. It’s a weird feeling. You floor the car and it downshifts, but the power just isn’t there. It feels like you’re driving a car with half of the power. The car starts shaking and you go into limp mode. When you go into the limp mode that is when the check engine light starts flashing. By then you better get over ASAP because you aren’t able to go faster than 10 mph in limp mode. A restart fixed it the second time it happened to me, but the first time a restart didn’t work and I had to tow it in.

This is little birdie someone was talking about who wasn’t investigating this issue... is there any inkling of what it is? The reason I ask is that I don’t want to own this car if this is going to be an issue with no fix in sight.

You have filed the appropriate compaints, I gather.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Advanced

I’m in limbo mode right now. I picked up my car from the dealership. They sent of the computer records of the car? To Honda in California. The dealership said they should hear back on Friday if they want to look at the car further or basically not to do anything. If it comes to the not do anything, my first step will be to call Acura customer service.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:44 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
This could be a totally different problem but the early Ford 3.5 Ecoboost motors were notorious for this issue. Ford had to make a modification to the intercooler to fix it.

3.5L GTDI - INTERMITTENT STUMBLE/MISFIRE ON ACCELERATION FROM HIGHWAY CRUISE IN HUMID OR DAMP CONDITIONS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/16/2013
TSB 14-0017
FORD:

2013-2014 F-150
This article supersedes TSB 12-11-15 to update the vehicle model years, build date, Service Procedure and Parts List.

ISSUE

Some 2013-2014 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost® engine, and built on or before 12/16/2013 may exhibit an intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after extended operation at highway speeds during high humidity or damp conditions. This may result in either a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0304, P0305, P0306, or P0430 may also be present. Evidence of misfire may be available in Misfire Freeze Frame Data even with no active DTCs.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Racer

^^^Interesting. Acura will probably tell us it's a safety feature to get us to drive slower in rainy weather.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GW208
This could be a totally different problem but the early Ford 3.5 Ecoboost motors were notorious for this issue. Ford had to make a modification to the intercooler to fix it.

3.5L GTDI - INTERMITTENT STUMBLE/MISFIRE ON ACCELERATION FROM HIGHWAY CRUISE IN HUMID OR DAMP CONDITIONS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/16/2013
TSB 14-0017
FORD:

2013-2014 F-150
This article supersedes TSB 12-11-15 to update the vehicle model years, build date, Service Procedure and Parts List.

ISSUE

Some 2013-2014 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost® engine, and built on or before 12/16/2013 may exhibit an intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after extended operation at highway speeds during high humidity or damp conditions. This may result in either a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0304, P0305, P0306, or P0430 may also be present. Evidence of misfire may be available in Misfire Freeze Frame Data even with no active DTCs.
huh, does anyone know if this issue is occurring in the Accord 2.0T or Civic Type R? If I’m not mistaken we share pretty much the exact same engine.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced

I went into the Accord forums and it seems like folks with the 2.0T are having similar issues to us. Here’s the link

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/#.../502130?page=7
Old 01-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GW208

TSB 14-0017
FORD:

2013-2014 F-150

ISSUE

I owned a Ford Flex that had an Ecoboost engine with the same problem...although it doesn't sound as severe as the RDX issues being reported. After countless trips to the Ford dealer, and countless times me bringing up the same F-150 recall issue you quoted, they always just told me they couldn't replicate it, and being that this was a Flex and that issue was with F-150s, they wouldn't even acknowledge the issues were related. I eventually sold the car for fear of my family's safety.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Dealership called and.... surprise! Those engineers didn’t find anything in the computer code or any other known cases of the issue. I called Acura customer service and started a case. Hopefully I know more soon.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Pro

Dealership called and.... surprise! Those engineers didn’t find anything in the computer code or any other known cases of the issue. I called Acura customer service and started a case. Hopefully I know more soon.
that sucks man! Hate that the service guys need to rely on technology to tell them what’s wrong. And we pay them $200 an hour for it.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Racer

I opened a case last month. All Acura did was call my service manager to verify no codes, and left me a message saying they will make note of the issue. I called back to ask what would cause limp mode in general, I never got a response.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Drifting

If all it takes is a momentary engine misfire to trigger a full "cripple mode" of the vehicle, it seems like Honda/Acura is being overly protective of their engines.

It could be something as simple as condensation on the inside of the air intake getting dislodged and sucked into the engine with the increased airflow of higher rpm operation. The engineers can examine their computer code all they want, they won't find that.

Back in the day, I drove my Dad's carburated International Harvester Scout Traveler ( look that one up, 4WD geeks! ) and that thing would stall nearly every time I punched the throttle to turn onto a 2-lane major truck route near my family's home. So then I'd be wrestling the thing onto the gravel shoulder at low speed without the benefit of power steering, as an 18-wheeler approached at about 75 mph. Good times. That was a problem with the completely analog fuel delivery and vaporization system.

With our 1st-gen MDX(s), when the oxygen sensors get a bit flakey with age, the things occasionally throw a code, illuminate the "Check Engine Light" and "VTM-4" light, and shut off the AWD system. Mr Murphy demands that this happen in a snow storm. The engine is running fine, it's just a potential emissions problem. There is no problem with the AWD system. So, WHY SHUT DOWN THE AWD?!!!! ( Pet Peeve )
Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced

I broke down again... same exact issue as before, currently waiting on a tow truck. This whole situation is a joke.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
I broke down again... same exact issue as before, currently waiting on a tow truck. This whole situation is a joke.
Wow...
Old 01-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Following is my post from NHSTA/safecar.com. I encourage every member who has experienced this issue to complete a complaint form ASAP. Otherwise, Honda/Acura will take its time to respond/investigate. Right now it’s just one old timer, who they probably think is making things up.. There is strength in numbers.

MY RDX WENT INTO ?LIMP MODE? (30 MPH MAX) WHILE ON I-75 SOUTHBOUND IN MODERATE TRAFFIC NEAR MACON GA AT 10 AM TRYING TO ACCELERATE TO SPEED LIMIT (70 MPH) FROM 50 MPH AFTER BEING CUT OFF BY AN INATTENTIVE DRIVER. ENGINE MALFUNCTION LIGHT WAS BLINKING. GOT TO RIGHT SHOULDER SAFELY AND TURNED ENGINE OFF. RESTARTED ENGINE AND COMPLETED ANOTHER 400 MILES AT INTERSTATE SPEEDS WITHOUT INCIDENT. ACURA DEALERSHIP COULD NOT REPLICATE PROBLEM, NOR WERE ANY CODES STORED ON OBD. I WAS TOLD BY ACURA SERVICE WRITER TO MONITOR ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND REPORT ANY REOCCURRENCES. SEVERAL ACURA RDX OWNERS ARE REPORTING SAME PROBLEM ON A POPULAR ACURA ONLINE FORUM. ONE MEMBER STATED THE HONDA CIVIC TYPE R IS EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM. THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS ENGINE AND/OR ENGINE MANAGEMENT DESIGN PROBLEM NECESSITATING AN IMMEDIATE INVESTIGATION AND RECALL, IN MY OPINION. RIGHT NOW I FEEL MY RDX IS UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED WITH THE POTENTIAL OF CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

1 Affected Product
Old 01-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Racer

Is this an Acura thing? An RDX thing? Something else??
Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced

So, a little update. The dealership the car is at found codes stored in the computer. The same codes it threw the first time it happened. The last update I received was that they are waiting for someone to tell them how to fix it. Acura client relations and the dealership are actually being very helpful right now surprisingly.
subin (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Pro

So, a little update. The dealership the car is at found codes stored in the computer. The same codes it threw the first time it happened. The last update I received was that they are waiting for someone to tell them how to fix it. Acura client relations and the dealership are actually being very helpful right now surprisingly.
good to know! Anxious to hear the results even though I have not had this issue, I’m curious if it’s something we might all have potential to go through
Old 01-09-2019, 10:34 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I had a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo and under certain high boost, high rev conditions it would go into limp mode. Many, many owners had the same issue. Hyundai eventually figured out that one of the rubber fuel lines was collapsing under the extreme draw of the high pressure fuel pump. starving the engine of fuel and causing the limp mode. They replaced the line on affected cars and implemented the new part into the new builds. Never had an issue again after that.

To those of you having this issue (or even other ones), a wise and cheap investment might be an OBD2 dongle and an app like Torque or Dash Command for data monitoring and logging info.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced

I just spoke to the service manager at my selling dealership. He told me Acura is aware of the problem now and working on a fix. The problem is a sensor sending faulty info to the ECM. There will be an OTA system update, but date unknown. He told me to check the system update icon on the nav screen frequently and update via Wi-Fi when the time comes, or take to an Acura dealership and have them update it. BTW, I’m still getting the screen that my maps are out of date, so I’m taking everything I’m hearing with a grain of salt. I also called Acura Client Relations back. They were clueless, but again told me they were sorry if I felt the RDX was unsafe. I asked if they had specific info about the issue, but was told they didn’t have access to anything like that, and engineers don’t take personal calls. So, it’s wait and see and hope the fix is indeed a fix, or not.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Correction: Info from the NHTSA about vehicle safely complaints are found at safercar.gov; no at safercar.com.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Advanced

Urgent ECM Update

Has anyone received the OTA notification yet of the ECM update concerning the “limp home mode” issue on all 2019 RDXs? I posted new info today in the “Problems and Fixes” section of this forum within the tread started by 2019ASpec last July. With such an important safety issue I was wondering how Acura is going to inform all current owners about the update if they ignore the update icon.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Advanced

I just spoke to the service manager at my selling dealership. He told me Acura is aware of the problem now and working on a fix. The problem is a sensor sending faulty info to the ECM. There will be an OTA system update, but date unknown. He told me to check the system update icon on the nav screen frequently and update via Wi-Fi when the time comes, or take to an Acura dealership and have them update it. BTW, I’m still getting the screen that my maps are out of date, so I’m taking everything I’m hearing with a grain of salt. I also called Acura Client Relations back. They were clueless, but again told me they were sorry if I felt the RDX was unsafe. I asked if they had specific info about the issue, but was told they didn’t have access to anything like that, and engineers don’t take personal calls. So, it’s wait and see and hope the fix is indeed a fix, or not.
wow, I still haven’t heard any updates from client relations or the dealership yet. I’m just waiting for the 15 day mark on my states lemon laws so I can have some leverage with them. My rental doesn’t compare to a Acura 😩
Old 01-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
OTA updates are ONLY for the "audio system".

The ECM, TCM, or other modules CANNOT be updated via OTA.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Has anyone received the OTA notification yet of the ECM update concerning the “limp home mode” issue on all 2019 RDXs? I posted new info today in the “Problems and Fixes” section of this forum within the tread started by 2019ASpec last July. With such an important safety issue I was wondering how Acura is going to inform all current owners about the update if they ignore the update icon.
My understanding (could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time) is that the OTA updates are for the infotainment system - programming updates for any of the vehicle control computers is done 'hands on'.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts

wow, I still haven’t heard any updates from client relations or the dealership yet. I’m just waiting for the 15 day mark on my states lemon laws so I can have some leverage with them. My rental doesn’t compare to a Acura 😩
The more I hear about Acura client relationship the more I feel it is just a therapy call center, powerless and without real info. It is just human voice to tell you everything will be alright......
Old 01-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acuraada
The more I hear about Acura client relationship the more I feel it is just a therapy call center, powerless and without real info. It is just human voice to tell you everything will be alright......
HAL 9000: "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Spoiler: Everything wasn't alright...
Old 01-14-2019, 04:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
HAL 9000: "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
"Acura Client Relations" is a frontline, level one support team in a call center full of dozens of agents - most of which will never own an Acura. Sort of like calling a garbage man a "sanitation engineer". We have access to the SAME information they do - it's called "the internet". These customer service numbers are primarily for people who don't know how or are too lazy to read their owner's manuals and don't understand how to call a different dealer if they're not satisfied with the one they tried to use.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Drifting

Going to a different dealer isn't always trivial. In my mid-size and growing city there is one Acura dealer and two Honda dealers. The next closest Acura dealer would be about a 1.5 hour drive. After that, about 3 hours.

If you know of a dealer service department that will provide diagnostic consultations via telephone, please share!

Quick Reply: Limp mode 2019 A-Spec