HD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:59 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD Radio

Hey I am looking into buying a 2019 RDX this week...can any current owners let me know what they think about the radio? When I took the model overnight, the radio volume would periodically (about once every 5 minutes) drop to a whisper for about 2 seconds before returning to the normal volume. I had the navigation on so I was thinking the navigation might have been trying to interject over the radio and the dealer said it is most likely the HD radio losing signal. We were in a heavily populated area. Just curious if other people experience this and if the HD radio can be turned off?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by bigxbomber11
Hey I am looking into buying a 2019 RDX this week...can any current owners let me know what they think about the radio? When I took the model overnight, the radio volume would periodically (about once every 5 minutes) drop to a whisper for about 2 seconds before returning to the normal volume. I had the navigation on so I was thinking the navigation might have been trying to interject over the radio and the dealer said it is most likely the HD radio losing signal. We were in a heavily populated area. Just curious if other people experience this and if the HD radio can be turned off?
My last 3 vehicles have had HD radio and that's a common symptom. Don't know if there's an option to turn it off in the RDX. You could access the online owner manual and search through it.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I find HD radio fades/drops signal out a lot.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I find HD radio fades/drops signal out a lot.
That is why we dumped our Sirius. That and the ongoing annoyance of playing the subscription game.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:10 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I'm on the road a lot and at times listen to AM sports talk radio and haven't had any issues with volume.

I have had an issue where I turn off the car with the AM on, and when I get back in and drive off, the AM radio is still showing being selected but it never comes back on audio-wise. I have to reselect AM radio and then it will activate. It doesn't do it that often, but it does do it on occasion.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

That is why we dumped our Sirius. That and the ongoing annoyance of playing the subscription game.
Interesting, I've never had an issue with XM/Sirius dropping out - not counting tunnels and deep mountain valleys where there's no reception of any kind. Agree about the twice a year negotiations on the subscription being a PITA but worth it if I can get the service for $5/month.

The following users liked this post:
marcolou (02-15-2021)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Interesting, I've never had an issue with XM/Sirius dropping out - not counting tunnels and deep mountain valleys where there's no reception of any kind. Agree about the twice a year negotiations on the subscription being a PITA but worth it if I can get the service for $5/month.
Seriouosly? That’s really cheap. What plan is that?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fury63

Seriouosly? That’s really cheap. What plan is that?
It's a promotional plan that, as far as I can determine, can only be authorized by the "Cancellation Department".

To get it you have to call to cancel your service, they then try to entice you with some 'special deals'. (My personal favorite is instead of $16/month I can get 6 months for $96. )

I just keep saying "No, I'm retired and only use the car 2 or 3 days a week and it's not worth it", or something to that effect. Eventually they get down to a 5 month for $25 promotional plan that will renew at the regular rate which I grudgingly accept. (It's sometimes 6 months for $30.) You just have to make sure you call to cancel before it renews and then have to go through the same BS script again.

I've been doing this for about 6 years. Now I just call and say if I can't renew with what I have now I don't want anything - it sometimes speeds up the process depending on the rep you get on the phone.

If they do eventually do away with the program I will cancel and revert to using the thousands of hours of music in my digital library.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Racer

Wow you don’t even want to know what I paid on my last car. I cancelled SiriusXM prior to turning in my lease. They wanted to transfer the service to kick in after the promotional period but I told them I’m not getting another car to get them off my case. I probably won’t get it unless it’s a really good deal. Right now I have the unlimited hotspot and am trying Spotify.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oblio98
I'm on the road a lot and at times listen to AM sports talk radio and haven't had any issues with volume.

I have had an issue where I turn off the car with the AM on, and when I get back in and drive off, the AM radio is still showing being selected but it never comes back on audio-wise. I have to reselect AM radio and then it will activate. It doesn't do it that often, but it does do it on occasion.
If I select AM radio via the apps button on the steering wheel, turn off the vehicle, then start up the next time, I have to use the HOME button on the console and reselect AM radio.

It might work by reselecting via the APPS button, just haven't tried it
Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
It's a promotional plan that, as far as I can determine, can only be authorized by the "Cancellation Department".

To get it you have to call to cancel your service, they then try to entice you with some 'special deals'. (My personal favorite is instead of $16/month I can get 6 months for $96. )

I just keep saying "No, I'm retired and only use the car 2 or 3 days a week and it's not worth it", or something to that effect. Eventually they get down to a 5 month for $25 promotional plan that will renew at the regular rate which I grudgingly accept. (It's sometimes 6 months for $30.) You just have to make sure you call to cancel before it renews and then have to go through the same BS script again.

I've been doing this for about 6 years. Now I just call and say if I can't renew with what I have now I don't want anything - it sometimes speeds up the process depending on the rep you get on the phone.

If they do eventually do away with the program I will cancel and revert to using the thousands of hours of music in my digital library.

That is what we have done for years, and we never give our credit card and made them bill us. But there are a few hills around here and we dropped signal often. Plus, we ended up listening to only a few channels, so that got repetitive.

I was having lunch with a friend of mine who is not very technical (he was in advertising), and mentioned this, and he was, like, “What? They just renewed me and charged my credit card a hundred and fifty bucks for a year, and you have been paying $5 a month? Man, was he pissed. Not about the money, he has plenty of money, just the idea of being taken unawares.

Since we are Amazon Prime members, we use the free Amazon Prime music, and that works for us. Too, I download playlists to my phone for offline use, and stream that or stream it to my wireless headphones when I work out. I think the offline stuff has a high bitrate.

We just don’t want to mess with it anymore. The last time they called us my wife got pissed at them and said ‘No! We don’t even want it for free. Leave us alone.’

Last edited by Madd Dog; 07-31-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
...and we never give our credit card and made them bill us...
I used to have that arrangement as well. A few years back that was no longer an option and you have to use a credit card. I just put a reminder on my calendar to call and 'cancel' a couple days before it will auto renew.

I could use my CitiCard feature which has the ability to create a 'single use' CC# which will cause any transaction after the first to reject but I'd still have to call Sirius/XM to renew so there would be nothing gained.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree that this issue occurs. I only notice it however when using AM Radio. If I have it on the secondary screen it hangs on "Loading". I simply turn the power for the radio off and back on and it works fine. Just assumed it's a bug.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
My last 3 vehicles have had HD radio and that's a common symptom. Don't know if there's an option to turn it off in the RDX. You could access the online owner manual and search through it.
I've had HD Radio in the last couple of Acura's I've leased and the the issue occurs when the quality of the signal does not allow the HD component to connect. Any degradation of the signal strength drops HD support first and the radio goes into SD mode. It can drive you crazy when bouncing in and out. I think I remember a setting in the setup where you can change how and when HD is used.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Has anyone noticed that the volume level will drop when you pass under over passes? Mine does this all the time when listening to the radio (AM and FM)
Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Has anyone noticed that the volume level will drop when you pass under over passes? Mine does this all the time when listening to the radio (AM and FM)
Weaker signal - happens in all my cars.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Weaker signal - happens in all my cars.
I have never ever had this happen when listening to normal AM or FM
Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't know what to say. Is there an option to disable HD to see if you can isolate that as being a factor?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Racer

HD will definitely change levels when it goes out of HD mode due to weak signal. It’s like you lose dynamic range.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not talking about HD, actually. I am talking about normal AM/FM radio. HD will lose signal a lot but the lowering of volume as I go under overhead obstructions is something new and bizarre. I can't figure out why it does this.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't figure out why it does this.
Maybe the engineers thought a reduction in volume was less offensive than the blast of static you'd get when losing the signal under a bridge?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Big E StL
Maybe the engineers thought a reduction in volume was less offensive than the blast of static you'd get when losing the signal under a bridge?
Yeah, that must be it
Old 08-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Maybe its the "Speed Volume Compensation (VSC)"? I wonder if you turn it off (if you have it on), it will stop doing that.......
Old 08-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Maybe its the "Speed Volume Compensation (VSC)"? I wonder if you turn it off (if you have it on), it will stop doing that.......
It is the strangest thing. I have the VSC off, by the way. I have never been a fan of that. I can only guess that the antenna is pretty weak... I will have to play with it a bit.. it doesn't do that while listening to streaming or USB audio sources, only radio
Old 08-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Ah ok. Then I have to agree thats its most likely the antenna is weak, and it looses signal dramatically under the tunnel.

I will check the Service manual to see if it mentions anything.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
AM Radio

Originally Posted by WoodyB
I agree that this issue occurs. I only notice it however when using AM Radio. If I have it on the secondary screen it hangs on "Loading". I simply turn the power for the radio off and back on and it works fine. Just assumed it's a bug.
This is my only complaint with the RDX so far. I'm trying to set it up so that I get the least amount of complaints from my wife since she will be the primary driver. Thank you for the tip about just using the off/on button. That's much faster than having to go back to the Home screen. Hopefully she won't complain about having to do that. I hope Acura is aware of the problem and gets a solution.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:31 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the same problem with AM radio. When I restart the car the small on dash display shows AM "loading" but it never comes on without going back to the home screen and selecting AM radio again. I've let it stay with the "loading" message for 30 minutes to no avail.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
I have the same problem with AM radio. When I restart the car the small on dash display shows AM "loading" but it never comes on without going back to the home screen and selecting AM radio again. I've let it stay with the "loading" message for 30 minutes to no avail.
Same thing happens to me and if you press the power button on the steering wheel to power off and then back on the system, it addresses the issue. I have reported this to Acura and they are supposed to add this fix to the first system update
Old 08-23-2018, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

If I select AM radio from the steering wheel APPS button, the next time I restart the RDX, I get the "loading" screen but it doesn't come on until I restart the audio system or change use the main system to reselect AM Radio
Old 08-23-2018, 04:13 PM
2013 RDX tech Amber

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would try turning the HD part off in the settings and see if you notice the drop on regular analog stations. I have noticed this on several cars with HD that it will try to lock onto the HD part but when it can't if reverts to analog part of station creating the sound drop.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
I can't find anything in the Owners Manual about HD radio or how to turn it off.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B25Nut
I can't find anything in the Owners Manual about HD radio or how to turn it off.
Page 277:

Change the AM/FM settings.
1. Select MENU.
2. Select HD Radio Setting.
3. Select Automatic or Analog Only.

'Analog Only' should disable HD.
The following users liked this post:
B25Nut (08-29-2018)