Just Added Xm Radio To Factory Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Just Added XM Satellite Radio To Factory Radio

Well I just added XM SATELLITE RADIO to the factory radio.
I got the Pioneer GEX-FM903XM universal tuner system along with the TERK TRK-SR2 Roof Mount Antenna. The antenna looks like a pregnant computer mouse on top of the car. The little tuner is real small about the length size of the average index finger. I have it mounted with velcro stuck under the factory radio. It uses FM modulation & the sound is quite good.They have about 100+ Channels of all types of music, sports, news, ect. The tuner even list the music playing at the time . I ask the installer was XM radio selling here he said its done very well. He said he install 3 last week & the people got it to get the NASCAR RADIO Station.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GREAT! You're the first person I've heard of who has signed up. My company built the core of the transmission system, which is installed in Washington DC. Just think, all the music you're listening to is in MP3 format. 512 rack mounted Pentium III computers, all networked together.

We got a car receiver from XM for system testing, and we keep swapping it around. Every time one of us goes on a road trip, we take turns temporarily installing the system in our cars.

This is without a doubt the coolest invention in a very long time. No more dead spots when you're travelling. Your choice of hundreds of stations EVERYWHERE you go.

How do you like it so far???
Old 06-08-2002, 11:34 PM
/etc/car

Personally, I think XM is good for people who do a lot of distant traveling...for the average person, it's a waste of money.

I work at an FM station...we provide local news coverage, local alerts, the EAS (emergency alert system), and music based on local research. XM cannot since it's national.

Besides...how much to get this XM installed? Yeah. Too much. Why don't you just burn CDs and listen to them?

The only way I'd get XM is if someone gave me the kit for free and said "enjoy."
Old 06-09-2002, 07:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Everybody will be singing a different tune in a few years.
All the new cars will be comming with it but I guess its up to you to activate it. The montly fee is not that bad $9.99 Remember I added mine to the stock system this was the cheaper way.
XM sent me a $50.00 check to give to the radio installer.
CADILLAC, HONDA, & other auto makers have already give XM money to help with this venture. My total was about $354.00 installed this is not including the monthly fee that you pay quarterly. As for burning CDs you still need to by that equipment also. The 100+ channels gives you a great choice music sports news, concert, ect. I was the same way as spome of you & said why in the heck would I pay for radio. But when I saw all the channels & went on the XM website I had to get it. They have all type of reicevers & a wide range of prices. My music taste is changing I am getting into JAZZ a litle bit more & I am not about to go out & purchase a bunch of jazz music that I may not like.
I still love RB old school & some current stuff the gospel music XM plays is great. Here is XM site www.xmradio.com
Old 06-09-2002, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
What kind of sound quality do you get. is it pretty close to cd quality or more like FM?

Iggy
Old 06-09-2002, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Is there any way to get XM without an external mounted antenna?

The OnStar antenna on my 2003-TLS is bad enough?
Old 06-09-2002, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Iggy
What kind of sound quality do you get. is it pretty close to cd quality or more like FM?

Iggy
The sound is pretty close to CD quality.
This is because I am using an FM MODULATION if someone buys a XM reciever that has all the other stuff like AM FM CD more power ect. The sound would I am sure be better. Remember people are replacing their factory radios with XM recievers & it well be is going to be in more cars soon.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Is there any way to get XM without an external mounted antenna?

The OnStar antenna on my 2003-TLS is bad enough?
Thats what I need to get use to the fat antenna on the roof.
Its fat & looks like a pregnant computer mouse they do make the glass mount antenna also.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SwampGas
Personally, I think XM is good for people who do a lot of distant traveling...for the average person, it's a waste of money.

I work at an FM station...we provide local news coverage, local alerts, the EAS (emergency alert system), and music based on local research. XM cannot since it's national.

Besides...how much to get this XM installed? Yeah. Too much. Why don't you just burn CDs and listen to them?

The only way I'd get XM is if someone gave me the kit for free and said "enjoy."
I agree that the service is primarily geared towards the long distrance traveller, BUT...

Unless you live in a MAJOR center, the choice of FM radio stations is extremely limited. Up here in Saskatoon, we have no rock station. Our choice is current pop, oldies pop, and hard rock songs that broke into the pop charts. Every time I travel to Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto, I weep when I scan the radio dial. I hear music I've NEVER heard on the radio.

Yes, our local FM stations offer local news, but the music programming really sucks. Once the XM service crosses the border to Canada legally, I'm signing up. I'll tune into the local station to hear the news, but go back to XM for everything else.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by FTM-1

Thats what I need to get use to the fat antenna on the roof.
Its fat & looks like a pregnant computer mouse they do make the glass mount antenna also.
Thanks for being honest.

Do you have any pics you can share of the inside and outside pieces?
Old 06-09-2002, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by EmuMessenger

Thanks for being honest.

Do you have any pics you can share of the inside and outside pieces?
I don't have any pictures but if you go to the site www.xmradio.com & then click there product catalog you will all stuff. I have the universal Pioneer tuner system the tuner is about the size of a small thin amp. The tuner is mounted in the trunk. The little remote control that has the station#/ controls/ artist name & song titles is mounted below the factory radio with velcro. This thing is real small & thin it looks like part of the factory radio. The antenna takes getting use to. This does not look like an onstar antenna. The picture on the site is not the actual size of the ant. The one I have the TERK looks like a computer mouse. I had the choice to get the Pioneer ANT but the installer liked the TERK better as far as looks. They have a wide selection of XM ready radios with oter features & a wide price range. I just wanted to keep the factory radio.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:21 AM
Instructor

FTM -

Thanks for the info. Although I understand that you do not have pictures available, could you provide a better description of the way you mounted the receiver. Did you remove the ashtray (coinholder)? If it difficult to reach the buttons on the receiver? If possible, could you submit pictures. Thanks, CK
Old 06-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Lauderdale TL
FTM -

Thanks for the info. Although I understand that you do not have pictures available, could you provide a better description of the way you mounted the receiver. Did you remove the ashtray (coinholder)? If it difficult to reach the buttons on the receiver? If possible, could you submit pictures. Thanks, CK
They mounted the Pioneer receiver under the factory radio preset buttons with velcro. The coinholder & power outlet doors are still intact. This thing is so small it looks like part of the factory radio.
They ran the wire to the receiver under the part were the heated seat control buttons are. It is not a problem at all to reach its just like another set of radio presets undeneath the factory radio. If you stretch you index finger across your factory radio preset buttons 1-6 the receiver is smaller that that. Or imagine a cassete tape the actual size is less than 4inches across
& about 1inch in hieght. The depth is almost flat like a cassete tape. The bouttons are small but it is well back lit for night.
The station # & artist -song titles is lit in blue the other buttons are green lit like dashboard lights. But the installer told me somepeople just have the thing dangle between the seat. All the receiver is is like a small remote control with a screen.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FTM-1
[B]
They mounted the Pioneer receiver under the factory radio preset buttons with velcro. The coinholder & power outlet doors are still intact. This thing is so small it looks like part of the factory radio.
They ran the wire to the receiver under the part were the heated seat control buttons are. It is not a problem at all to reach its just like another set of radio presets undeneath the factory radio. If you stretch you index finger across your factory radio preset buttons 1-6 the receiver is smaller that that. Or imagine a cassete tape the actual size is less than 4inches across
& about 1inch in hieght. The depth is almost flat like a cassete tape. The bouttons are small but it is well back lit for night.
The station # & artist -song titles is lit in blue the other buttons are green lit like dashboard lights. But the installer told me somepeople just have the thing dangle between the seat. All the receiver is is like a small remote control with a screen. This is just like the factory radio station screen the whole thing is very small.
The other model the Sony might be a bit bigger but the Pioneer is not. Go to www.xmradio.com then read the top & click GET XM when that comes up the Pioneer Universal Receiver remote pictured is about the actual size of real thing. The real tuner is bigger but the remote is not that whats inside the car.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the prompt response. Hopefully the local car audio experts will be able to perform a similar install.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Lauderdale TL
Thanks for the prompt response. Hopefully the local car audio experts will be able to perform a similar install.
That should be no problem Iam sorry I can't post any pics for you. Like I said its mounted on the space under the radio & above the coin & power outlet doors & they open fine. They took my center console apart to run the wire underneath that space behind the seat heater switches. If you get this setup I guess you are plaining to keep the stock system in the car. This is the reason I did it this way the stock system sound fine to me. The antenna takes some getting use to.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Cool, congrtas on getting your XM radio. My co-worker showed me hers because she knows I don't listen to the radio.

All reggae stations here in NYC seems to have disappeared or became latin music. All I listen too is Reggae, Reggae and some reggae....and not that new crap either, just roots, early Dancehall and lovers rock and XM radio just happens to have stations that play those songs!...sweet.

UUUUUUUUh, AAAAAAAAAh, OOOOOOOOh, I'm still thinking about getting it but I have such a huge library of reggae at home that I don't know if they can provide that better of a selection then myself. The problem with such a huge selection is that I don't know what songs I have and don't have:p. XM radio would take care of that problem though.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes TUFF GONG this was my reason for getting it.
I listen to old school RB & like Temptations, Smokey, Marvin, Al Green, Stevie, music of the 60s 70s 80s. I even like the older stuff like Jerry Butler & the Doo Wop days of the 50s with groups like the Drifters & Impression. Don't get me wrong I listen to the new stuff like Alicia Keys, & Marry J, J Low. I even listen to some I say some whats his name now P. Piddy & R need a under age girl Kelly.
But I enjoy the old school stuff alot more I also like some Reggae
but this type of music I do not have. I also do not have alot of Jazz music in my collection in the basement. This was my fathers & uncles stuff they had before they past on. Like you I live in a major radio market not rural or contry. The problem is that the stations play the same top 5 songs all the time. I was tinkering with the stations on XM yesterday. One of the stations channel 60 had a DJ on it his name is Bobby Bennet. At one time back in the 70s Bobby was one of the Top D.Jays here on radio in Washington D.C. he knows this type of music well. This confirms what the radio shop owner that installed my system said. Since XM is located here in D.C. he had been down to the studio. He said they hire people that know that type of music well.
The place is not that far from me about 10min car ride with traffic.
The studio is very old big printing building that they took a few years to redo. I like what I here on XM I think its worth the money. It looks like it has a total of 170 channels but I have picked out some good ones.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my XM in my TL and I think SwampGas is a bit biased given that his paycheck comes from a traditional radio station.

I tune into my local news station for the weather and traffic in the morning, then flip my Sony XM receiver on for a commute filled with digital tunes.

I've mounted my antenna on the shelf behind the backseats- reception is still excellent, and no unsightly "pregnant mouse" on my TL's body.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Is there any way you can post pictures (or email them) so I may see where the receiver/headunit fit on your dash?
Thanks
Old 06-13-2002, 12:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had a little problem with the XM radio the other day & got it fixed today. The system was playing fine the other day & when I went out to start the car to let the A/C start cooling the car down the XM radio did not have any sound. The factory radio worked fine. I then read this little message that the XM unit displays on its screen. The message said antenna I looked in the owners manual under problems. It said that it could be a short or that the antenna was not connected. I was going on a short overnight trip to out of town to my sisters house & could not have the system checked. I check the antenna connection & it was fine. I went to the radio shop this mourning & told them what the display said. They installed a new antenna & that fixed the problem it took about 10mins. The installer said it most likey was an early production model of the antenna. The reason is that the box that the XM antenna came in has a picture with a XM logo symbol on top of the ANT. The one I got did not have this logo the new antenna has the XM logo on it. I like the way the little reciver/tuner unit inside the car displayed the possible problem.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:26 PM
Racer

I have also been thinking about adding XM radio to the stock system. Best Buy has the same Pioneer system for $199 and installation is free. Antenna will cost another $80.

How thick is the cord out of the tuner? I was thinking of maybe attaching it to the useless cd holder above the stereo, but I would like to route the cord through the small gap rather than drill a hole.

PS- You guys can also check out the programming by going to their website. You can stream all the channels.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by rfrys
I have also been thinking about adding XM radio to the stock system. Best Buy has the same Pioneer system for $199 and installation is free. Antenna will cost another $80.

How thick is the cord out of the tuner? I was thinking of maybe attaching it to the useless cd holder above the stereo, but I would like to route the cord through the small gap rather than drill a hole.

PS- You guys can also check out the programming by going to their website. You can stream all the channels.
The wire is about the same guage as a computer mouse wire or the wire going from coumputer to the phone line. I would say a tad thicker than mouse wire but not much more. They ran my wire from underneath the console up behind the heater switches in that gap tray. There were no holes drilled inside the car the only thing drilled was the Tuner/Receiver in the trunk.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:41 PM
/etc/car

Bah...I sold out and got the Terk SR1 antenna with the Pioneer GEX-903XM unit...

Gonna do the install myself as soon as the parts come.

Anyone have any advice for the install?