2019 RDX Issues and Rattles - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2019 RDX Issues and Rattles

Old 12-07-2018, 09:46 AM

2019 RDX Issues and Rattles

i bought my 2019 RDX in June 2018. Big disappointment. I wish I had never traded in my 2010 Nissan Murano. I have problems with the infotainment system. The car vibrates severely when cold and in reverse. I have the same groaning sound in the tailgate that everyone else has although it hasnít happened since the weather got cooler. But the worst thing is the car rattles on bumpier roads like itís going to fall apart. These rattles are LOUD. They are coming from the dashboard and the panoramic roof. The Acura techs and service advisor agree they are loud. And now I have a new one starting from somewhere in the back. Itís at the dealership for a 2nd time since it didnít get fixed the first time. The first loaner I had was a 2019 RDX which also rattled. Now the loaner I have is a 2018 RDX. While not as nice as the 2019 it doesnít rattle and drives more solid. Driving my 2019 RDX is not pleasant. The rattles are irritating. A new car should not rattle. Anyone else having loud rattles?
Old 12-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Build quality is not great. Had similar issues with my wife's C300 the first year they started building them in the US. Rattles, body panels misaligned, etc. Newer Rdx builds will improve but that doesn't help the ones who purchased early.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I have the same rattles from the dash. It's like there is something loose in the driver's side a-pillar or dash near the windshield. Very annoying.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by cengel View Post
I have the same rattles from the dash. It's like there is something loose in the driver's side a-pillar or dash near the windshield. Very annoying.
Mine sounds like itís coming from the passenger side of the dash and sometimes it gets very loud and sounds like someone is shaking a baby rattle. I have video of it that I sent to the service department in case they canít reproduce it. And the panoramic sunroof vibrates and rattles on every bump but itís muffled when the cover is closed but very loud when itís open.
The 2019 RDX loaner I had also had rattles in the dash as well as one coming from the back. New cars should not rattle.
The first time it was in the service department they said there was something not attached in the glove box but that didnít fix it.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

No rattles with mine, except a light knocking sound at the back after the car went over a bump, but this is not consistent and I am not too worry about it.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cengel View Post
The only rattle I've noticed is in the driver's side a-pillar also. It's only on bumpy roads, but the dealer is replacing the cover and clips. They duplicated it, they think it's a broken clip. Part arrived this morning, just have to get in to have it replaced.

Other than that, I find the interior very solid over bumpy roads.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:33 PM
2019 RDX Advance

Originally Posted by JustMe65 View Post
The car vibrates severely when cold and in reverse.
Mine does this, too. I started a thread about it two months ago, but nobody replied.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...e-cold-973596/

Not only can I feel the vibration and the resulting rattles, but I can hear it - it sounds like someone with a car full of 15" blasting subwoofers is beside me.

It's so annoying and embarrassing that I've resorted to backing into my garage every evening so I don't have to subject myself to the vibration the next morning when I head to work and would normally back out of the garage.

Basically, whenever the engine is "cold" (regardless of ambient temperature - it doesn't matter if it's Summer or Winter) and I shift to reverse and stop, the entire vehicle vibrates. It doesn't do it after the engine warms up, in any other gear, or while moving. The engine appears to idle way too fast while in gear. I better have my foot firmly on brake pedal or the car will take off! My 2018 Accord had essentially the same engine and transmission and it never did anything like this. The shifts were a bit rough between 1-2-3 like the RDX, but not nearly as harsh as the 2-3 shift in the RDX.

I don't have any major rattles or the tailgate groan (yet), but I do have a laundry list of fit-and-finish and infotainment issues and the brake pedal squeaks when I push it. I've been a huge Honda fanboy for over a decade now - I've bought nine of them during that time. This is my first Acura and oh what a disappointment it's been. It's bad enough that I'm now looking outside of the Honda/Acura brands for my next vehicle.

The main reason I haven't taken it in for this yet is because the nearest Acura dealer is a 2-hour trip for me. Next time, I think I'll stay with a brand with a local dealership. The engine and transmission in a $16K 2016 Ford Fiesta that I inherited a couple of months ago is smoother and quieter than this RDX which costs three times as much. That's a problem.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

I also bought mine in June and it has had a vibration/noise from day one that originates from the upper right rear cargo area. Sometimes, I can feel it in the driver's seat, but most of the time it is a noise/vibration that gets strongest at 78 mph. I even put my wife in the back one day cruising the interstate to see if she could pinpoint the location but no success. Took it to the dealer once and they said (of course) they could not detect the problem

Would appreciate any feedback and insight. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
Mine does this, too. I started a thread about it two months ago, but nobody replied.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...e-cold-973596/

Not only can I feel the vibration and the resulting rattles, but I can hear it - it sounds like someone with a car full of 15" blasting subwoofers is beside me.

It's so annoying and embarrassing that I've resorted to backing into my garage every evening so I don't have to subject myself to the vibration the next morning when I head to work and would normally back out of the garage.

Basically, whenever the engine is "cold" (regardless of ambient temperature - it doesn't matter if it's Summer or Winter) and I shift to reverse and stop, the entire vehicle vibrates. It doesn't do it after the engine warms up, in any other gear, or while moving. The engine appears to idle way too fast while in gear. I better have my foot firmly on brake pedal or the car will take off! My 2018 Accord had essentially the same engine and transmission and it never did anything like this. The shifts were a bit rough between 1-2-3 like the RDX, but not nearly as harsh as the 2-3 shift in the RDX.

I don't have any major rattles or the tailgate groan (yet), but I do have a laundry list of fit-and-finish and infotainment issues and the brake pedal squeaks when I push it. I've been a huge Honda fanboy for over a decade now - I've bought nine of them during that time. This is my first Acura and oh what a disappointment it's been. It's bad enough that I'm now looking outside of the Honda/Acura brands for my next vehicle.

The main reason I haven't taken it in for this yet is because the nearest Acura dealer is a 2-hour trip for me. Next time, I think I'll stay with a brand with a local dealership. The engine and transmission in a $16K 2016 Ford Fiesta that I inherited a couple of months ago is smoother and quieter than this RDX which costs three times as much. That's a problem.
That sounds like a worse vibration than mine. Mines still at the service department at the Acura dealership. On Friday they acknowledged the vibration (I had actually forgotten to tell them about the vibration because my main concern is the dashboard rattles and the sunroof rattles and vibrates on every bump) when the car is cold and said they could hear the rattles at that time too. It doesnít vibrate when itís warmed up and for me Iíve only had it vibrate after the first start up of the day and then it goes away until the next day. It also doesnít matter if itís cold or hot outside...it still vibrates on the first start up of the day. Iím driving a 2019 RDX loaner and it doesnít vibrate, but rattles a little bit although not nearly as much as mine. It rattles all the time on any bumpy road and we are talking big time loud rattles.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by GaHokie View Post
I also bought mine in June and it has had a vibration/noise from day one that originates from the upper right rear cargo area. Sometimes, I can feel it in the driver's seat, but most of the time it is a noise/vibration that gets strongest at 78 mph. I even put my wife in the back one day cruising the interstate to see if she could pinpoint the location but no success. Took it to the dealer once and they said (of course) they could not detect the problem

Would appreciate any feedback and insight. Has anyone else had this issue?
Mine doesnít have anything to do with speed. I recommend taking video of the noises when they happen. I have it all on video and gave the dashboard rattle video to the dealership. You can email the video to the service advisor and it gives them something to work with.