2019 Infotainment System Frozen

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
For those wondering what I received in compensation, I will just say that I received enough that I am content to just sit back and wait for Android Auto now. Keep complaining to your dealer and go all the way up to the GM of the dealership on your e-mails. Keep taking your vehicle in and keep opening support cases with Acura until you have a resolution. I went on a 6 month tirade with my vehicle and they replaced the infotainment system twice, have addressed the shifting issue and also taken care of some other things that were not up to snuff. When I sent a message to the BBB about the car, then action was taken to fully address all of my issues. The only issues I have now is the "Map Out Of Date" message and no Android Auto. I was satisfied with the compensation I was given.
Soooooo, they gave you about tree fiddy?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
Everything went black including the instrument cluster. Then it started flashing the whole way home. Shutting off and restarting didn't help. Already had the infotainment system replaced and it still doesn't work right, among all the other issues I've had. I'm at my breaking point with this POS.

welcome to the world of androidOS. This looks like it may need to be flashed completely to resolve the launcher issue.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
For those wondering what I received in compensation, I will just say that I received enough that I am content to just sit back and wait for Android Auto now. Keep complaining to your dealer and go all the way up to the GM of the dealership on your e-mails. Keep taking your vehicle in and keep opening support cases with Acura until you have a resolution. I went on a 6 month tirade with my vehicle and they replaced the infotainment system twice, have addressed the shifting issue and also taken care of some other things that were not up to snuff. When I sent a message to the BBB about the car, then action was taken to fully address all of my issues. The only issues I have now is the "Map Out Of Date" message and no Android Auto. I was satisfied with the compensation I was given.
While I applaud your dedication to getting things resolved, and I'm not criticizing you at all, rather showing a contrasting view. One of the many reasons I bought the RDX (vs several competitors) was that I believed that I wouldn't be spending a lot of time at the dealer, calling Acura, or contacting BBB. Granted, everyone has a different set of priorities, and values, and deals with things in different ways.

At this point, early in my ownership, just 7 weeks and ~2,000 miles, the only issue I have is missing Android Auto. BUT, I bought the RDX knowing it wasn't included, and is being worked on for a future update.

I am usually VERY picky about my vehicles, and I am extremely happy with the RDX, it is by far the best new vehicle I have ever owned, and I have owned many. I literally smile every time I get in the driver's seat. All my adult life, I never thought I could ever own and drive such a amazing vehicle.

I hope that I continue to feel this way.
The following 3 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
GW208 (03-13-2019), Padre Dave (07-07-2019), securityguy (03-19-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
While I applaud your dedication to getting things resolved, and I'm not criticizing you at all, rather showing a contrasting view. One of the many reasons I bought the RDX (vs several competitors) was that I believed that I wouldn't be spending a lot of time at the dealer, calling Acura, or contacting BBB. Granted, everyone has a different set of priorities, and values, and deals with things in different ways.

At this point, early in my ownership, just 7 weeks and ~2,000 miles, the only issue I have is missing Android Auto. BUT, I bought the RDX knowing it wasn't included, and is being worked on for a future update.

I am usually VERY picky about my vehicles, and I am extremely happy with the RDX, it is by far the best new vehicle I have ever owned, and I have owned many. I literally smile every time I get in the driver's seat. All my adult life, I never thought I could ever own and drive such a amazing vehicle.

honestly. I think most people will be just fine. It’s typical for a model year change on top of it using a custom android interface. They practically have android phone running the whole car. I’m sure updates over time will resolve most of these lingering issues.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlleiber
Wanted to add my experience with this - the day after we bought my wife's RDX we were driving using carplay/apple podcast and heard a small *zap* noise and the audio portion of the infotainment stopped working. We could still use the car's nav system, but every audio source said unavailabe. We couldn't turn the radio off either - pulled over, stopped, opened doors and the screen still stayed on. Got done with our drive and disconnected and reconnected negative battery terminal and that did the trick to turn it off and get it turned back on and working again.

One thing to note is that we were using an aftermarket iPhone lightning cable when this happened. We swapped to an Apple OEM cord and it hasn't happened since
I tried this as this was what the dealership recommended after I had taken my car in twice for this issue. After about 3 months, this issue popped up again after using an original apple lightning cable, so I would say it's not a cable issue. I'm a software engineer and this kind of stuff screams software related issues. If there isn't a fix for this yet, I will probably be going the route of filing a lemon law claim. I would say the radio/audio system crashing and not being able to be rebooted without stopping somewhere and shutting the car off and on is a pretty significant issue.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:15 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts

Well, keep in mind that I bought one of the very first ones delivered back in June 2018 and needless to say the first and second versions of the software were not ready for prime time. It seems that D1.12 has addressed the majority of the issues
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (03-13-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My brother’s RDX with a production number of less than 700 has been problem free except for the tailgate groan. My RDX’s production number is in the 15,000 range and has had several problems, including the limp mode issue. Go figure.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:22 AM
J P
1st Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Acura Infotainment System - Massive Memory Leak

Originally Posted by skarface
It basically is an old Android phone?
I have had this Acura 3 months, three times it has froze. I noticed that is started to "skip" about two weeks in, this reminded me back in the day when the USB bus in computers were running out of resources (RAM). Unfortunately about a month in this frozen. I am in IT and have experienced memory leaks with larger poorly written systems that are constantly running. I was surprised that I had to literally unplug the fuse to fix and reboot the system, another clue (the ram was not being freed up when I turned my car off. So I turned to the internet and found this...

Android version 5.0 Lollipop introduced a ton of changes to the OS.... One of the biggest bugs of all was a massive memory leak caused by the new screen-off animation, which loaded its assets into memory but never cleared them away.

I found another bug in the infotainment system they fixed,, where my iPhone would connect to Bluetooth even though ii was directly connected via usb. I created a case with Acura hopefully, they will take my case seriously try to patch the Memory leak.

For now I will go into developer mode and reboot it weekly like I do with my servers.

I love my RDX, best car i have owned, just need a little better IT support.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...mance-0161137/
The following 4 users liked this post by J P:
bahgee (03-16-2019), Marino Moutafis (03-16-2019), markm929 (03-16-2019), Padre Dave (07-05-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J P

I have had this Acura 3 months, three times it has froze. I noticed that is started to "skip" about two weeks in, this reminded me back in the day when the USB bus in computers were running out of resources (RAM). Unfortunately about a month in this frozen. I am in IT and have experienced memory leaks with larger poorly written systems that are constantly running. I was surprised that I had to literally unplug the fuse to fix and reboot the system, another clue (the ram was not being freed up when I turned my car off. So I turned to the internet and found this...

Android version 5.0 Lollipop introduced a ton of changes to the OS.... One of the biggest bugs of all was a massive memory leak caused by the new screen-off animation, which loaded its assets into memory but never cleared them away.

I found another bug in the infotainment system they fixed,, where my iPhone would connect to Bluetooth even though ii was directly connected via usb. I created a case with Acura hopefully, they will take my case seriously try to patch the Memory leak.

For now I will go into developer mode and reboot it weekly like I do with my servers.

I love my RDX, best car i have owned, just need a little better IT support.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...mance-0161137/
How are you getting into Developer Mode to reboot the RDX system?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Hold the top three buttons down on the trackpad for about 10 seconds or so...do a forum search and you'll find more detail and a video.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Hold down the top three buttons on the top of the trackpad for about 10 seconds or so...do a forum search as there is more detail and a video.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

thanks for replying. I was aware of that method. Though you were referring to something else.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This info system takes forever to boot up. Heaven forbid you put car in reverse and don’t wait 30 seconds for Nav to come up. My F-350 info comes up almost immediately. I’m so pissed at this system. Car is good other than that. XM radio also has issues.
Im probably going to turn in car after one year.
Jb
Old 03-31-2019, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Looks like Pilots have the same issues and there is a class action lawsuit! https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/honda-...action-lawsuit
jonarogers (04-01-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

3 Button Reboot Does Nothing

The HUD is frozen, nothing will remove or change the screen. I had to pull over and turn off the car. The call has been disconnected.

This screen is also frozen. No music, call is disconnected. I had to pull over and turn the car off.
Sadly, I’ve had the dreaded screen freeze 4 times. I have tried using the 3 button reboot but nothing happens. No matter how long I hold the buttons nothing happens. My screen is also freezing after I hang up with a call. The HUD and infotainment system freeze and nothing helps except pulling over and turning the car off. I also have messages popping up at various times and the screen flickers. I am taking my 19 RDX into the dealership for the 7th time for issues. Acura of Seattle has told me they have 3 other RDX owners with the same problem. They also said that Acura is well aware of the problem but has yet to suggest a fix for or possibly replacing the system. The phone call was actually disconnected.

Originally Posted by BILFFF
https://youtu.be/f7uLCjHK-cU
Try it out, do it for a second time if all the audio menu disappear from home screen after first rebooting.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bahgee
Looks like Pilots have the same issues and there is a class action lawsuit! https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/honda-...action-lawsuit
Yeah I saw that. I can't imagine the Pilots system being worse than ours especially since we don't even have Android Auto yet which is one of the features that was supposed to come with the purchase.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
Yeah I saw that. I can't imagine the Pilots system being worse than ours especially since we don't even have Android Auto yet which is one of the features that was supposed to come with the purchase.
I just followed the link and asked them to add the 2019 RDX to their class action. Perhaps others should do the same.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
one other thing to check on a side note. i had major issues with my 2019 rdx with carplay music static/interruptions on any music app through carplay. i changed settings to premium audio and it works like a champ now. apple music: on the phone go to settings, music, cellular data, then high quality streaming.
The following 2 users liked this post by arthur stepan:
markm929 (04-20-2019), subin (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 AM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by arthur stepan
one other thing to check on a side note. i had major issues with my 2019 rdx with carplay music static/interruptions on any music app through carplay. i changed settings to premium audio and it works like a champ now. apple music: on the phone go to settings, music, cellular data, then high quality streaming.
two days in and changing that one setting has eliminated the skips and hiccups in the music. Thanks for the tip.
subin (04-21-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Got stuck on the disclaimer screen today. Nothing would turn it off. Not even the 3 button trick would work. Ended up having to pull the fuse. It sparked a little while putting it back in. Is this normal? Can I blow the fuse this way?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by securityguy
Are you folks not reading the thread related to the software update Acura stated is being pushed out to us via an OTA update on or around December 12??? They haven't stetted all that it will fix but it should be significant so please take a breath folks and just wait for the update and then you can complain some more if the update isn't to your satisfaction.
How about it's 4/2019 several updates have rolled out since and I'm still having the issue using carplay. If you ask me this is because for some reason they used Android as the base OS. So mine has been freezing locking up since Sept of 2018 Dealers can't figure it out just wait for the next update and it will be fixed here we are April 2019 still having the same issue. I was using my navigation using carplay as we were going out of town on a trip and 2hrs into the drive the system locked up in the middle of nowhere luckly for me my iphone xs kept navigating even though the system in the RDX was frozen and guess what message popped up yeppers " Android system issue failure" I took a picture of it and I am currently awaiting a response from the dealer. I am so glad I leased this vehicle because come next Sept I am returning and going back to Mercedes. I never had issues and if there was one it was fixed quickly, Acura's tech team can't even answer questions on this and we have now seen this all over consumer reports and other car review sites. Just sad as this vehicle is really nice but not going to all this money and they can't figure out that the issues is Android.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXASPEC2019
How about it's 4/2019 several updates have rolled out since and I'm still having the issue using carplay. If you ask me this is because for some reason they used Android as the base OS. So mine has been freezing locking up since Sept of 2018 Dealers can't figure it out just wait for the next update and it will be fixed here we are April 2019 still having the same issue. I was using my navigation using carplay as we were going out of town on a trip and 2hrs into the drive the system locked up in the middle of nowhere luckly for me my iphone xs kept navigating even though the system in the RDX was frozen and guess what message popped up yeppers " Android system issue failure" I took a picture of it and I am currently awaiting a response from the dealer. I am so glad I leased this vehicle because come next Sept I am returning and going back to Mercedes. I never had issues and if there was one it was fixed quickly, Acura's tech team can't even answer questions on this and we have now seen this all over consumer reports and other car review sites. Just sad as this vehicle is really nice but not going to all this money and they can't figure out that the issues is Android.
I never had any issue with CarPlay on RDX. Maybe I am lucky. A few tips is to update iOS, unpair your device from RDX and add it back via BT. After I applied OTA updates I find it’s best to pair iOS device again. Unpair it first. If all fails reset all settings on the phone, pair it again with the RDX.

What is your iOS version? Make sure your lightening cable is not damaged or not using a cheap third party cable. I find Apple lightening cable works the best and usually less errors.

I am sorry to hear all your issues with CarPlay. Good luck.

Last edited by ToniRDX19; 04-23-2019 at 03:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ToniRDX19:
RDXASPEC2019 (04-23-2019), securityguy (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
I haven't read through al the threads so excuse me if this was already mentioned. I saw this on the internet today: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owne...tem/ar-BBWbd5Z
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the link, but I don't see Acura on that list.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Spoke to my dealer today (Rallye Acura). They said they and Acura are well aware of the issue and the update should have been out already. They said it should come out anytime now. Guess we will wait and see!
Old 04-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by bahgee
Thanks for the link, but I don't see Acura on that list.
I noticed that too but thought perhaps that the HONDA setting may apply to all Honda Motor Company vehicles. My car is older then the Honda cars referred to so I didn't explore it further. Besides, I am not having any Infortainment System problems.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 AM
6th Gear

Freezing infotainment display

I've happily had my car for 5 months without major issues until last night. Similarly as others have posted, was driving and using Carplay when suddenly all audio features stop functioning and the display remains on even when i turn off the car. I tried the 3 button reset - 1st it worked but I was missing some features (the radio); 2nd it seemed to get things back to normal. Will see how long it resolves the issue
Old 04-28-2019, 08:19 PM
10th Gear

Issues!!

I have had my RDX for about a month and have issues. Yesterday I was getting an error saying Audio not available.
After turning the car off several times it finally came back
The navigation will not go dark at night. The dealership kind of fixed it, guy didn't really know much, but then it was going dark sporadically throughout the day. Which was more annoying.
When I change songs or stations it often freezes or skips programmed stations.
No idea what's going on on. Hopefully we can get some answers
Old 04-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alexis C
I have had my RDX for about a month and have issues. Yesterday I was getting an error saying Audio not available.
After turning the car off several times it finally came back
The navigation will not go dark at night. The dealership kind of fixed it, guy didn't really know much, but then it was going dark sporadically throughout the day. Which was more annoying.
When I change songs or stations it often freezes or skips programmed stations.
No idea what's going on on. Hopefully we can get some answers
Have you tried the "three button reboot"? You might have to do this procedure twice. This often fixes issues.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:00 PM
10th Gear

Have you tried the "three button reboot"? You might have to do this procedure twice. This often fixes issues.

3 button reboot
I just did that we will see how it works.
I won't truly know until night. This is beginning to be super frustrating.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

ECL Diagnostics

Anyone post this yet?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...45437-9999.pdf

it’s ECL Diagnostics to troubleshoot the failed component connection.

Ours is is just a black screen, no response, no change from fuse pull and no change after removing negative batt terminal.

I also noticed that the Driver seat settings selection buttons are unresponsive and unlit.

Heres diagnostics on mine:

Old 05-02-2019, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
I wonder if the network is down.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/B19040C.PDF

That's my next level troubleshooting at home after I finish unplugging everything, smacking it a few times, and threatening to feed it to my dogs.

But also note that there are multiple modules and they aren't all on the same fuse.

Last edited by Wander; 05-02-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

For those still having issues, have you performed the FULL FACTORY RESET on your head unit available through the SETTINGS menu? I did this a week or two ago as another member posted and the system is like a totally different system. Doing the three finger reset is great but it appears that it was just a band-aid. The FULL FACTORY RESET will remove your presets but it operates like a new radio. Running the latest update too. System now fully boots within 10 seconds and is fully loaded. Just throwing this out there. I think after EVERY update comes out, I am going to perform this function as a HARD RESET.
Marino Moutafis (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
For those still having issues, have you performed the FULL FACTORY RESET on your head unit available through the SETTINGS menu? I did this a week or two ago as another member posted and the system is like a totally different system. Doing the three finger reset is great but it appears that it was just a band-aid. The FULL FACTORY RESET will remove your presets but it operates like a new radio. Running the latest update too. System now fully boots within 10 seconds and is fully loaded. Just throwing this out there. I think after EVERY update comes out, I am going to perform this function as a HARD RESET.
Agreed, same with the iPhone. Reset to factory and clean OS install, in my experience with computer/cellular, tends to reduce the risk of ‘bugs’
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Does this also reset all the other user configurable settings (other than the infotainment/audio settings)? Things like the door lock setting, and automatic parking brake...as examples... etc? I may have already asked this but don't remember the answer. LOL Thanks!
Old 05-05-2019, 12:36 PM
7th Gear

Exclamation My 2005 RL

2 things. My 05’RL locks go crazy when I place it in park. And at start up I get an EXT on my display screen that prevents the radio to work. I have to disconnect the battery for like 10 seconds to have it work again. How do I solve these issues???
Old 05-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Drifting

News?....about freezes, etc
Infotainment
Old 05-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Infotainment
Well, maybe I rushed to post this. It popped up on my Google news feed on my phone while I was following my wife around Michael's today...and I posted it without doing a full read. It seems like it is just a solicitation for owners to join a class action lawsuit. Sorry.

And who has spent thousands of dollars fixing/replacing it?

Last edited by JB in AZ; 05-05-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Infotainment
Interesting, but I don’t get this part: “Despite repeated repairs and even replacements, owners say the Acura RDX Infotainment System continues to fail, costing owners thousands of dollars. They report the Honda Corporation has failed to address the problem.”

I am not a lawyer, and I have encountered some of the problems, but how could those problems have cost us owners ‘thousands of dollars’?

Acura definitely needs to fix this, for sure.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Interesting, but I don’t get this part: “Despite repeated repairs and even replacements, owners say the Acura RDX Infotainment System continues to fail, costing owners thousands of dollars. They report the Honda Corporation has failed to address the problem.”

I am not a lawyer, and I have encountered some of the problems, but how could those problems have cost us owners ‘thousands of dollars’?

Acura definitely needs to fix this, for sure.
Yup!
Padre Dave (01-03-2020)

Quick Reply: 2019 Infotainment System Frozen