2019 Infotainment System Frozen

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Another member posted the communication from Acura related to the OTA availability and several have already received the email telling you, if you haven't done it already, how to connect your RDX to your home's WiFi system so you can get the download once available.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Found it for you:

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...2018-a-975398/

Last edited by securityguy; 12-10-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up front, I have the latest software version, I installed it the day it was made available.

The infotainment screen is now stuck on Disclaimer and won't turn off even with the car shut down. To be honest, the infotainment system has become increasingly sluggish since I first bought the car in June. It can take several minutes to boot up when I start the car and it regularly freezes and then unsticks itself just switching between Sirius and FM radio.

I made an appointment to drop it off at the dealership tomorrow morning, this will make it the 3rd time in the 6 months I have owned the car that I've had to take it to the dealership.

Issues so far include:
1) Liftgate motor needed replacing within 1st month, that visit also included replacing to panels in the trunk and front door that were not sealed properly and were coming off.
2) Squeaking breaks that dealership replaced for free...only had 5000 miles on it at the time.

I also had an issue with the moonroof that I may have caused inadvertently and was able to fix myself with the help of one of the One Pack videos.

My confidence in this car is not high and it's disappointing as I really do enjoy the hell out of it when everything is working properly.
It's gotten to the point where now I'm just waiting for the next thing to "break" and another trip to the dealership and more wasted time.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:49 AM
Cruisin'

Update:
Battery had died during the night sometime and had to contact roadside assistance for a jump. RA got to my house very quickly...about 20 minutes and I should mention that the battery dying made the infotainment system work again after the jump. Dropped it off at the dealership and explained what had happened, got in the loaner they gave me and went to work.

They called later that day saying that there was a new software update that was supposed to fix the freezing infotainment system...unfortunately I had already loaded that a week earlier. Not sure why they didn't just check which software version I was running before making the assumption I hadn't installed it. They said it was working fine for them but that they would continue to test it and it should be ready to pick up sometime Saturday afternoon.

I like the car and aside from the few issues I've had, it's been a pleasure. I'll have my fingers crossed the infotainment doesn't freeze again and kill the battery.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:40 PM
9th Gear

I had this issue this morning. I posted in another relevant thread but thought I'd add it here as well. The system got frozen on the initial disclaimer screen and stayed that way no matter what I did. It stayed on even after turning the car off for a while. The resolution was pulling the #37 fuse under the dash and popping it back in. That got the screen off but it didn't come back right away and I thought it was dead. After going back to the car a few hours later it started up normally but gave me some sort of security message prompting me to either input an anti-theft code or holding the power button down for a few seconds. Since I didn't have a code I held the power button and everything worked fine. I checked with the dealership and they confirmed that there is no security code for this car so I should be all set. I've started it a few times since and it's all good for now. It's a buggy system for sure. I just hope they keep releasing updates to make it better so this doesn't happen again. Luckily I'm pretty tech savvy and was able to find the solution, but I'm sure the average owner isn't going to go through the trouble of finding the correct fuse under the dash or disconnecting the battery. This isn't something that should happen on a brand new car that I've only had for a few weeks. What's funny is that I chose this car over the Alfa Romeo Stelvio and the Audi Q5 partially based on perceived reliability. My brother has the Stelvio and my other brother has the Q5 and neither have had any problems in the past 6 months since they got them. Only time will tell I guess.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by linkkingx
I had this issue this morning. I posted in another relevant thread but thought I'd add it here as well. The system got frozen on the initial disclaimer screen and stayed that way no matter what I did. It stayed on even after turning the car off for a while. The resolution was pulling the #37 fuse under the dash and popping it back in. That got the screen off but it didn't come back right away and I thought it was dead. After going back to the car a few hours later it started up normally but gave me some sort of security message prompting me to either input an anti-theft code or holding the power button down for a few seconds. Since I didn't have a code I held the power button and everything worked fine. I checked with the dealership and they confirmed that there is no security code for this car so I should be all set. I've started it a few times since and it's all good for now. It's a buggy system for sure. I just hope they keep releasing updates to make it better so this doesn't happen again. Luckily I'm pretty tech savvy and was able to find the solution, but I'm sure the average owner isn't going to go through the trouble of finding the correct fuse under the dash or disconnecting the battery. This isn't something that should happen on a brand new car that I've only had for a few weeks. What's funny is that I chose this car over the Alfa Romeo Stelvio and the Audi Q5 partially based on perceived reliability. My brother has the Stelvio and my other brother has the Q5 and neither have had any problems in the past 6 months since they got them. Only time will tell I guess.
So far, so good since I've had it back. Aside from the infotainment screen taking 30-60 seconds to stop spinning I've had no freezes.
I also bought this based on reliability and value. I was really looking at the Q5, but to get everything I have in the RDX it'd be at least another 10k
As much as I enjoy the car, I do wonder what it might be like if I got the Q5 instead.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when this happened did you start the car with the remote? ... with either key fab or APP? I've had this happen three times now ... once before the mid December update twice since (sunday and Monday this week) ... all three times coming out of sleep precondition start mode .....
Old 01-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Cruisin'

Yes, it was after starting the car with the app.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by jtatore
when this happened did you start the car with the remote? ... with either key fab or APP? I've had this happen three times now ... once before the mid December update twice since (sunday and Monday this week) ... all three times coming out of sleep precondition start mode .....
yes my problem occurred after starting out with the app as well.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Cruisin'

All three times with my display freezing involved going into reverse. I can't recall if the screen froze before or after putting into reverse. Most of the time cars are starting off in reverse so it could just be the odds .
Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Cruisin'

Going into reverse involves the back up camera. When my screen does freeze I can can use the back up camera. It does come on. But only in one view. The option for multiple views says it's loading but never does.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
I just had this issue today after using Acuralink app to remote start the car. Froze on the Disclaimer screen and needed to pull the fuse. Thanks Linkkingx for posting the fuse number.

Using Acuralink app to remote start the car is a nightmare, it usually takes multiple attempts to login, Touch ID rarely works, many times the Start button doesn't appear, remote starting the car using Acuralink can take 3 to 5 minutes of crazy combinations of failed logins, app crashing, logging in and out, killing the app. It's great that Acura actually charges a fee for the horrible remote app service, and now it freezes the infotainment system. This has been one of the worst experiences with a new car I've ever had.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by waahu
I just had this issue today after using Acuralink app to remote start the car. Froze on the Disclaimer screen and needed to pull the fuse. Thanks Linkkingx for posting the fuse number.

Using Acuralink app to remote start the car is a nightmare, it usually takes multiple attempts to login, Touch ID rarely works, many times the Start button doesn't appear, remote starting the car using Acuralink can take 3 to 5 minutes of crazy combinations of failed logins, app crashing, logging in and out, killing the app. It's great that Acura actually charges a fee for the horrible remote app service, and now it freezes the infotainment system. This has been one of the worst experiences with a new car I've ever had.
Even though the App has many problems I'm not 100% sure that it's the APP. It could just be the remote starting putting the car in precondition sleep mode. The display coming out of this mode could be the issue if car was started by APP or by Key Fab.

Has anyone gotten the frozen screen using the key car starter? If yes, this would tell us the problem doesn't lies with the APP but lies with the remote start putting the car in that sleep mode.

Regarding the start button not showing on the APP ... swipe the screen down and start button appears. Found this by accident.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Gen3 RDX Owner

Lightbulb Follow this video and you won't need to unplug the battery

Try it out, do it for a second time if all the audio menu disappear from home screen after first rebooting.
The following users liked this post:
robscalamoe (10-23-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Gen3 RDX Owner

Originally Posted by waahu

Try it out, do it for a second time if all the audio menu disappear from home screen after first rebooting.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
OMG.....what a ridiculous process to "fix" an installed radio that should NEVER need to be "fixed"! People.........it's a $50,000 product that should NOT have these issues! As they say "it's just not ready for prime time" . My $300 laptop computer, my $800 dollar desktop and even my $500 iPhone all need to be re-booted once in a while but to spend tens of thousands of dollars and have to re-boot is a non-starter for me.
Chizazen (06-25-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
OMG.....what a ridiculous process to "fix" an installed radio that should NEVER need to be "fixed"! People.........it's a $50,000 product that should NOT have these issues! As they say "it's just not ready for prime time" . My $300 laptop computer, my $800 dollar desktop and even my $500 iPhone all need to be re-booted once in a while but to spend tens of thousands of dollars and have to re-boot is a non-starter for me.
(I'm starting to feel the same way...)
Chizazen (06-25-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
What's the big deal? Acura says they are working on it. Sit tight for a couple of years while they release a few more new models and maybe they will get around to fixing it within a decade...lol
Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
Exactly my point... People are riding me over my complaints about this system. When you fork out 50k for something, it should work. If it doesn't work, then you should spend every moment addressing the issues. It has been 7 months for me and I still cannot use the system as expected due to me being a power user and not someone who just listens to the radio.
TroyusMaximus (02-08-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
...me being a power user and not someone who just listens to the radio.
Thats me too. Which is why I'm hesitating to move forward with the purchase of an RDX (regardless of what anyone might say about that ).

Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
Thats me too. Which is why I'm hesitating to move forward with the purchase of an RDX (regardless of what anyone might say about that ).
From experience as an RDX Advance owner: "DON'T DO IT !!"
Old 01-20-2019, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dark Vador

I got in my car and had to do a quick reverse and pull out of a parking place and pull into traffic. The screen was dark. Nothing came on. Zero, nada. I got to my office, turned car off, opened door and closed door, restarted. Blank screen. Crap, went into my office, went back out an hour later, systems came back on.
I have had a lot of issues when I put car in reverse and pull out without waiting for system to spool.
i guess we wait for the next update.
jb
Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bartrdx
I got in my car and had to do a quick reverse and pull out of a parking place and pull into traffic. The screen was dark. Nothing came on. Zero, nada. I got to my office, turned car off, opened door and closed door, restarted. Blank screen. Crap, went into my office, went back out an hour later, systems came back on.
I have had a lot of issues when I put car in reverse and pull out without waiting for system to spool.
i guess we wait for the next update.
jb
Did you start the car with your remote or App? if yes, what I notice is that when using the APP c... I get in car press start button with foot on brake to come out of sleep mode .... but i still might have time left out of the original 10 minutes ... not sure why App doesn't know that the remaining remote start has ended. If the black screen happens again , when you used the remote to start the car, just turn off car ... hit stop on APP to show that car is off ... then start the car without APP. This has helped me when there's a black screen. I haven't tried it when the disclaimer screens freezes and won't turn off even when car is turned off. Will try the same procedure next time that happens ... which most likely will happen soon. My car is going into Acura service on 1/28. They have to keep it for two days to run all these test before Acura wil do the next step in the repair of this display issue ... we'll see what happens.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Funny thing. I got a new info system a few months ago. I do t use my appl as much. The car and phone fight a lot.
Jb
Old 01-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
This may help you guys when you get it up and running turn on ANR

The following 2 users liked this post by Dereileak:
Marino Moutafis (01-25-2019), MI-RDX (01-21-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BILFFF
https://youtu.be/f7uLCjHK-cU
Interesting video; thanks for the link. I like the speaker check (be sure volume is turned down to 3-4 at start as it’s really loud at first) and noticed that Android Auto was enabled on one of the menus. There is also info that no CD was connected, so perhaps that is an option with the head unit?
Old 01-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

I was hit with a frozen infotainment system today. It would not turn off. Happened after my carplay audio started breaking up and then disconnected from my iphone XS MAX. I reset the infotainment system using the button method. Today I see an update that addresses the random carplay disconnections (which has been happening for a while) from Apple. So if you have one of the phone listed, might be worth updating. Here is the relevant part from Apples update notes. I will test out tomorrow.

iOS 12.1.3 corrects an issue that may cause audio distortion when using external audio input devices on iPad Pro (2018). And it resolves a problem that could cause certain CarPlay systems to disconnect from iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max devices.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
This move is a game changer. Increased the boot timing of the OS really does make the system "snappier".

I use XM/CarPay/bluetooth, and would consider myself lucky that I haven't had a major issue like some other users.
securityguy (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dereileak
This may help you guys when you get it up and running turn on ANR

Need your help gentlemen. Went into the main menu and selected SYSTEM. Then selected ABOUT. I find no option to click anything that says "BUILD 7x". I clicked on every option that I can see and none take me to the developer option screens above. What am I missing as I'd like to see what this change will do.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2019, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Need your help gentlemen. Went into the main menu and selected SYSTEM. Then selected ABOUT. I find no option to click anything that says "BUILD 7x". I clicked on every option that I can see and none take me to the developer option screens above. What am I missing as I'd like to see what this change will do.

Thanks!
not a item that says “build 7x”. You are to click on the build number 7 times, at least, and then the developer menu item will appear.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks @markm929 ...going out to try it now. Feeling dumb but thanks for the quick reply!
Old 01-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Instructor

The nice thing about adding the developer menu is it stays there after unlocking. No need to redo if you want to change anything back.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

OK...got in and changed the ANRs to ON. I see three different "animator" options that allow you to change from .5X to 10X. All appear to default at "1X". For each of the three options, what are you setting them for or have found the best options to set within each of the three?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Does anyone know exactly with Animation is related to? I liked my Acura animation on the speedo, now it flashes in in .5 sec. Is it the Transition?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Instructor

I set everything at .5 to start. Much faster start up. I still haven't had time to find which animation settings does what. I am not an Android OS engineer
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

I would love to hear from someone that has experimented with these 3 different settings and post what appears to be the best settings.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis
Does anyone know exactly with Animation is related to? I liked my Acura animation on the speedo, now it flashes in in .5 sec. Is it the Transition?
pretty much these settings are the speeds of animations, if you do a higher number such as 10x that means it will take 10x as long to animate, so much slower and smoother animations, if you set to .5x it should double the speed, I like things fast and .5 for all does that, hopefully if you have things crash now they will pop up with a message that let you wait or close the app, which should restart it, instead of freezing up the whole headunit. Don’t be afraid to try different speeds and see for yourself
Old 01-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Do you know what each of three setting specifically relate to?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by securityguy
Do you know what each of three setting specifically relate to?
it’s really for developers to test things, but you can set them permanently without any repercussions. This is what I found for two of them, could not find the third.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dereileak:
Marino Moutafis (01-26-2019), markm929 (01-30-2019), securityguy (01-26-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the apple carplay death mode. After they rebooted the frozen screen where it would not turn off, they notified me that apple carplay will not work until they get some update from apple for it. So, for now, I cannot use it at all. This sucks. Has anyone else's issue been resolved? First gen RDX is terrible.

Quick Reply: 2019 Infotainment System Frozen