default display in center of dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
default display in center of dashboard

Let me see if I can phrase this question in an intelligent manner. In the 'base' model 2019 RDX, the screen behind the steering wheel ( not the infotainment screen) displays the trip computer, etc.etc. I know the scroll wheel on the right side of the steering wheel changes the display, ie: tire pressure, "minimal", maintenance, etc. I prefer to see 'minimal'. I can scroll to that and it stays until you shut the vehicle off. Upon restart, the display always goes back to the trip computer. The question is- is there a way to set the display so that it defaults to "minimal" every time the vehicle is started? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was at a car show over the weekend, and an Acura dealership was displaying there, so I asked a couple of the sales representatives, and they had absolutely no idea what I meant. They did not have an RDX onsite, so I couldn't show them. Thanks in advance. :-)

Last edited by TheFidge; 09-18-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Many have asked this question and as of right now, it always defaults back to the trip computer screen when you turn on and off the car. Whether an update or patch will change this is still TBD.
The following users liked this post:
TheFidge (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by starlord
Many have asked this question and as of right now, it always defaults back to the trip computer screen when you turn on and off the car. Whether an update or patch will change this is still TBD.
Thank you. That's what I kind of figured. My 2013 stayed where I put it :-)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:55 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I was told that if you pick the screen you want, like SH-AWD, then hold down the selection wheel, it would default to SH-AWD. Stupid me, I haven't tried it yet.

But I will!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
I was told that if you pick the screen you want, like SH-AWD, then hold down the selection wheel, it would default to SH-AWD. Stupid me, I haven't tried it yet.

But I will!
I just tried this morning using the 'tire pressure' screen. It 'remembered' the setting for one short stop of about 10-15 minutes but when I stopped for a longer period (haircut) it was back to the trip meter screen afterwards. I did, however, switch to 'minimal' before the haircut stop which may or may not have had an effect on the permanency of the original setting.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 09-19-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I just tried this morning. It 'remembered' the setting for 1 short stop of about 10-15 minutes but when I stopped for a longer period (haircut) it was back to the trip meter screen.
Sounds like the infotainment system has short term memory issues . . . just like me!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXFTW
Sounds like the infotainment system has short term memory issues . . . just like me!
Hey, I too suffer from CRSS (Can't Remember Shit Syndrome).

Also noticed that I was editing my post at the same time you were quoting it - sorry.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I just tried this morning using the 'tire pressure' screen. It 'remembered' the setting for one short stop of about 10-15 minutes but when I stopped for a longer period (haircut) it was back to the trip meter screen afterwards. I did, however, switch to 'minimal' before the haircut stop which may or may not have had an effect on the permanency of the original setting.
Ok, looks like more testing is required! I'll give it a shot later.

On a side note, anybody else find the "minimal" screen to be kinda funny? I appreciate the option to black out and "unclutter" the center screen and leave the driver with just the speedometer and tach, but does it have to display "Minimal" all the time? Seems like a dumb design cue.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXFTW
Ok, looks like more testing is required! I'll give it a shot later.

On a side note, anybody else find the "minimal" screen to be kinda funny? I appreciate the option to black out and "unclutter" the center screen and leave the driver with just the speedometer and tach, but does it have to display "Minimal" all the time? Seems like a dumb design cue.
That speaks to me of a system prematurely released to production with the beta page holding notes left in.

I like when I get a rental car that has the option for a digital readout of your speed in the cluster and would have preferred that to "Minimal". There are days when I've got the music on and am just cruising real lazy like, bi-focals off and sunglasses on, and having that big obvious read-out just helps to keep me out of trouble.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Would be nice if the MINIMAL screen also had a digital MPH in it, then it would be useful
Old 03-01-2021, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Update?

I am wondering if there was ever anything that got the screen to stay for the 2019? I recently drove a 2021 RDX from the dealer and the screen remained what I set it to, no matter how long I left it off (overnight, work shift, etc.). I compared kernel, build, and software versions and they all match. I was considering a factory reset, but don’t have high hopes that it will work.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyagie
I am wondering if there was ever anything that got the screen to stay for the 2019? I recently drove a 2021 RDX from the dealer and the screen remained what I set it to, no matter how long I left it off (overnight, work shift, etc.). I compared kernel, build, and software versions and they all match. I was considering a factory reset, but don’t have high hopes that it will work.
I had the gauge cluster replaced on my 2019 Advance per a TSB. After this, the screen I leave it on, say mpg, or tire pressure, stays until I change it.

I can't seem to find it right now, but it was to correct the flashing day night of the infotainment screen and "Drive mode unavailable" message

Try this: See TSB 20-001 - Center Display Unit Stays On with Ignition Turned to OFF and Door Open

It looks like they have superseded that TSB and may no longer be replacing the gauge cluster

Last edited by JB in AZ; 03-01-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a great question I wonder if anybody really has an answer, I've done the latest over the air updates and mine still changes back to the default settings. it look like most of those updates were having to do with apple carplay though
Old 03-04-2021, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 261 Posts
Is your meter version Ax4?
Old 03-07-2021, 07:15 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I had the gauge cluster replaced on my 2019 Advance per a TSB. After this, the screen I leave it on, say mpg, or tire pressure, stays until I change it.

I can't seem to find it right now, but it was to correct the flashing day night of the infotainment screen and "Drive mode unavailable" message

Try this: See TSB 20-001 - Center Display Unit Stays On with Ignition Turned to OFF and Door Open

It looks like they have superseded that TSB and may no longer be replacing the gauge cluster
yeah, I looked through and don’t see a replacement anymore. Not sure how changing the connectors will fix this one, which is what they’re doing now... thanks.

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Is your meter version Ax4?
how would I find this information? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
There is so much wasted space on that screen that they could use. Wish they did.

It is also super annoying that we can't turn off the promt saying to push the brake harder for that auto stop crap. Can't even change songs when that prompt is on screen ( apple play )
Old 03-13-2021, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 261 Posts
yeah, I looked through and don’t see a replacement anymore. Not sure how changing the connectors will fix this one, which is what they’re doing now... thanks.

how would I find this information? Thanks.
3-finger diagnosis screen > Bottom button (Detailed view of something like that) > Unit check > Most Nodes > Meter > HW version field. My car shows A440.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:36 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by sonyfever
3-finger diagnosis screen > Bottom button (Detailed view of something like that) > Unit check > Most Nodes > Meter > HW version field. My car shows A440.
should have thought to do that, thanks.

I have the A440 hardware version.