Using USB stick with Android Auto ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Using USB stick with Android Auto ?

I tried plugging in my USB stick to the USB port next to the cupholder and it would not load up while AA was running. Does it have to be off to use it ?
Old 12-02-2023, 03:44 PM
mvl
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts
I believe so. Others have posted that USB sticks don't work alongside android auto.

Easiest is to just copy your music from USB to the phone and launch an Android Auto music player.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I believe that's due to the RDX only having one Data capable USB port. My current vehicle has a USB drive with music in one port and the Android Auto dongle in the other. Switching between the 2 is seamless.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I believe that's due to the RDX only having one Data capable USB port. My current vehicle has a USB drive with music in one port and the Android Auto dongle in the other. Switching between the 2 is seamless.
I have wireless AA though...my USB stick is in the only data slot by the cupholder.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I have wireless AA though...my USB stick is in the only data slot by the cupholder.
Okay I just reread your initial post. All of my vehicles require exiting AA before switching to a different source. So the answer is indeed to turn off AA to change sources.

Last edited by hand-filer; 12-02-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:02 PM
mvl
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts
All the prior complaints were with 2019-2021 with wired Android Auto. Never saw someone try on a 2022 but it would suck if that is an issue too.

You don't have to shutdown AA to switch sources, just press the home button and choose the source, or pick it from the left scroll menu. Then when you return to AA and show navigation, just don't play music and it will be smart enough to keep your other audio source running and only interrupt it for Navigation instructions. Again, don't know if USB works, haven't seen anyone post and try, and on our 22 RDX with wireless AA my wife and I only use streaming music.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sadly, it doesn't let us play a USB source while AA is running. Same was true on a Camry rental that we had during the summer. Once AA starts, USB media is no longer available.

(That Camry only had wired AA, but the one data port allowed one to connect a 2-port hub to have access to two different devices through that one port. I tried it with an iPod and a memory stick plugged in to the hub and it was possible to switch between the two. But if the phone running AA was one of the two devices, the other device would not be available.)

Real bummer how we get strong-armed into streaming, be it either through the AA source or the satellite radio.

I believe that I saw something in the manual shortly after I got the RDX indicating that if a Bluetooth source is connected prior to AA connecting that source would remain available. I have to experiment with that to see whether that is indeed true or if I misunderstood.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by mvl
All the prior complaints were with 2019-2021 with wired Android Auto. Never saw someone try on a 2022 but it would suck if that is an issue too.

You don't have to shutdown AA to switch sources, just press the home button and choose the source, or pick it from the left scroll menu. Then when you return to AA and show navigation, just don't play music and it will be smart enough to keep your other audio source running and only interrupt it for Navigation instructions. Again, don't know if USB works, haven't seen anyone post and try, and on our 22 RDX with wireless AA my wife and I only use streaming music.
This was already confirmed when the current gen MDX came out in early '21. Despite it having Acura's first wireless CP/AA capability, it's not possible to play USB music concurrent w/AA/CP.

You probably need 2 data head units like the dual screens from prior Acura generations.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
It really is a shame they don't provide this capability. My 2018 Nissan allowed USB or iPod connection while simultaneously running CarPlay from an iPhone. I sacrificed the FLAC/ALAC capability for the compressed music files on my iPhone. At least it is convenient...and the moving vehicle is far from an ideal acoustic environment anyway
Old 12-05-2023, 02:26 PM
Drifting

Yes, apparently you need to disconnect AA and then hook up the USB. I am going to get a USB extension cable because it is a pain to hook my USB stick into the compartment that the data USB port is located in the center next to the cupholder.
I downloaded the Acura DEMO disc songs in FLAC that another member was nice enough to create and man it does sound amazing.
Hopefully AA and USB can work together if the USB is hooked up FIRST and THEN AA is paired up. Honestly, that would be great for me as I would rarely disconnect the USB stick.
I wish it worked with another USB port besides the one in the center next to the cup holder. My TL used to have this port (with a extension cable on it too) inside the center compartment,
which was much more convenient for something that will be rarely switched out. For those of you who never listened to DTS FLAC music in the TL...
you are missing out. It really shows you what the system can do. This stereo has to be one of the best stock units on the market.
The following users liked this post:
ns324 (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 02:35 PM
Drifting

Whether intentional or not, I think it's just a matter of time until Acura kills off the ELS system. The press release for the ZDX says it's the first Acura to get the new B&O sound system and eventually will take over the whole lineup.
Support for MCH FLAC may go the way of the dinosaur but time will tell...
Old 12-06-2023, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ELIN
Whether intentional or not, I think it's just a matter of time until Acura kills off the ELS system. The press release for the ZDX says it's the first Acura to get the new B&O sound system and eventually will take over the whole lineup.
Support for MCH FLAC may go the way of the dinosaur but time will tell...
Why would they kill off support for FLAC ? I would think B&O supports it too.
Like I get the no support for discs...but you really don't need a disc to listen to uncompressed audio
Old 12-06-2023, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Why would they kill off support for FLAC ? I would think B&O supports it too.
Like I get the no support for discs...but you really don't need a disc to listen to uncompressed audio
I don't think they'll kill off the MCH FLAC support, as other cars with the B&O system support it. That said, the QUALITY of the audio will definitely go down once they switch to the B&O system. The ELS system in Acura cars is one of the best at this price point, in my opinion and will be sadly missed going forward. It may be that the B&O system takes less power to operate, as they are starting use in the ZDX (EV). We may see that going forward with EV cars, other electronics in the cars will lessen in quality as the power draw will have an effect on driving range...until the industry gets the battery figured out.

Also, you can't use the USB for music at the same time as wireless CP/AA in the 21+ RDX (or any model for that matter), it looks like the processor in the infotainment system can't handle more than one music source. And to someone else's point, I have a 2018 Audi A5 that can run CP/AA concurrent with USB FLAC music being listened to. It is a B&O system, so the quality is less, but at least they can run at the same time.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by markm929
I don't think they'll kill off the MCH FLAC support, as other cars with the B&O system support it. That said, the QUALITY of the audio will definitely go down once they switch to the B&O system. The ELS system in Acura cars is one of the best at this price point, in my opinion and will be sadly missed going forward. It may be that the B&O system takes less power to operate, as they are starting use in the ZDX (EV). We may see that going forward with EV cars, other electronics in the cars will lessen in quality as the power draw will have an effect on driving range...until the industry gets the battery figured out.

Also, you can't use the USB for music at the same time as wireless CP/AA in the 21+ RDX (or any model for that matter), it looks like the processor in the infotainment system can't handle more than one music source. And to someone else's point, I have a 2018 Audi A5 that can run CP/AA concurrent with USB FLAC music being listened to. It is a B&O system, so the quality is less, but at least they can run at the same time.
Glad I got one of the last ELS systems ! They have been great for over a decade in Acura cars.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:33 AM
Drifting

Depends on how many flavors of B&O they will offer down the road. If they follow the competition, base audio systems may not offer MCH FLAC and force you to upgrade to a more expensive trim.

I agree if only one B&O audio system is offered, it will most likely include MCH FLAC support. Otherwise, legacy Acura owners that go all the way back to the DVD-A days have pitchforks in hand!
Old 12-07-2023, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

That said, the QUALITY of the audio will definitely go down once they switch to the B&O system.
How do you know that? Insider information or speculation?
Old 12-08-2023, 09:30 AM
Drifting

OR it may be an additional add on package...like a "entertainment package" or some nonsense..