Prices Paid and Offers Accepted 2020 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 09:26 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffcarp94
...So when my dealer didn't feel the need to counter by Saturday afternoon, I contacted every single one of those 10 dealers using their online e-price feature and I also registered with the Costco Auto Program.

I'm moving forward with the Costco Auto Program.
Automotive Darwinism; the way it should be. Best wishes. The Advance is a terrific value, and vehicle.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DJA123
Automotive Darwinism; the way it should be. Best wishes. The Advance is a terrific value, and vehicle.
That's how I look at it also. In the near luxury segment, I was hoping that my Acura dealer's approach would be to focus on the experience and building a relationship and just getting a fair deal done. I was disappointed to see this experience be the same as if I'd walked into KIA.

But, lucky for customers that have some common sense, there's always alternatives.

I can't wait to get this vehicle. I've been looking at them for a long time and couldn't be a buyer until August because of the circumstances of who I'm selling my car to. Acura's 90 days without payment lets me get it now. I'll gladly pay three months of interest expense to not fall behind, to be able to drive this thing over the summer.

Sure, the 90 days hurts you from a depreciation perspective but I have no doubt that I'll keep this through the end of the loan anyway. That's the price I'll pay for a summer of enjoyment!

This forum and this thread were really valuable and I look forward to being a regular participant.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience.

It’s dealers like that that damages Acura’s brand. Lecturing instead of working on your deal? Lol
Old 05-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm moving forward with the Costco Auto Program and respecting all of the dealer's initial offers as their best offers. If you're a buyer that doesn't qualify for any Acura rebates, it's definitely worth the time to research other dealers depending on the offers you are getting locally.

Are you saying using the Costco Program disqualifies a buyer from the Loyalty Rebates? That was $2,000 of my deal!
Old 05-03-2020, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX9149U
Are you saying using the Costco Program disqualifies a buyer from the Loyalty Rebates? That was $2,000 of my deal!
No. Had I qualified for those, that would have been added to my deal and brought the final purchase price well below invoice.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
That's how I look at it also. In the near luxury segment, I was hoping that my Acura dealer's approach would be to focus on the experience and building a relationship and just getting a fair deal done. I was disappointed to see this experience be the same as if I'd walked into KIA.

But, lucky for customers that have some common sense, there's always alternatives.

I can't wait to get this vehicle. I've been looking at them for a long time and couldn't be a buyer until August because of the circumstances of who I'm selling my car to. Acura's 90 days without payment lets me get it now. I'll gladly pay three months of interest expense to not fall behind, to be able to drive this thing over the summer.

Sure, the 90 days hurts you from a depreciation perspective but I have no doubt that I'll keep this through the end of the loan anyway. That's the price I'll pay for a summer of enjoyment!

This forum and this thread were really valuable and I look forward to being a regular participant.

This forum/thread was valuable for me as well before buying 2 months ago.

Too bad the dealerships were like that to you. Every person, situation, region, etc. is different-----you have to negotiate your hind end off & do what's best for you in the end.....

Congrats and enjoy your new vehicle!

Old 05-04-2020, 07:50 AM
Intermediate

Your comment reminded me of my one and only BMW purchase. I was looking for some sort of deal and a friend referred me to a friend who worked for a leasing company. The friend of my friend set up the deal with the local BMW dealer and I bought the car paying cash. My deal was $1,000 off sticker. I heard later that the manager of the dealership went ballistic when he found out I didn't finance or lease the car. I guess he was looking to make up his $1,000. That was pretty much the last time I went to that dealership.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
Having looked at the sales numbers for April (1,760 vs 4,926 for April 2019) I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on what a good/attainable target price would be for a 2020 RDX Advance SH-AWD (Columbus, Ohio if it helps)? I'm flexible to purchase or lease but I've grown tired of waiting for the new TLX and my current vehicle has become a magnet for random mishaps (Window busted out in February and a friendly little hit and skip on Saturday).

I've read through the prior posts but thought it was worth asking given the current economic climate. Any guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by CollinR4; 05-05-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:08 AM
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinR4
Having looked at the sales numbers for April (1,760 vs 4,926 for April 2019) I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on what a good/attainable target price would be for a 2020 RDX Advance SH-AWD (Columbus, Ohio if it helps)? I'm flexible to purchase or lease but I've grown tired of waiting for the new TLX and my current vehicle has become a magnet for random mishaps (Window busted out in February and a friendly little hit and skip on Saturday).

I've read through the prior posts but thought it was worth asking given the current economic climate. Any guidance is appreciated.
I think waiting a bit longer-end of May or June to see if incentives/dealer cash improve. I think Honda/Acura have to figure out what market conditions, re start of production, and inventory levels are to assess what they will do. I am looking to lease another MDX (lease expires soon) and all incentives, residuals etc are carried over from April. That leads me to believe they just punted for now on additional market assistance. I will wait to see what the next few months bring.
The following users liked this post:
CollinR4 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:03 AM
Advanced

Based on my experience this weekend, invoice on that $48,895 trim appears to be ~$46,596. They are dealers selling at invoice for sure. You'll have potential for discounts from both Acura and the dealer that would lower the cost even more from invoice. From what I can tell online, dealers in the Rust Belt and into Virginia are being very aggressive right now. Chicago is where I went.

Acura is offering targeted discounts if you're a first responder, healthcare worker, military, new college grad, are a previous Acura owner, or you own certain conquest vehicles. If you're none of those, then all you'll get from Acura is 0.9% and 90 days no payments. The 0.9% is a BIG deal compared to what was offered just a few months ago. The best I could do on my own was a credit union 1.9% so Acura's deal saves me over $1000 over 5 years.

On the dealer side it just depends how hungry they are, how much their holding costs are, how much inventorying they're sitting on etc. For certain, the customer has the leverage right now if you're willing to shop around and if you can travel to a car of can pay $600 to have it shipped from neighboring states. My local dealer wouldn't deal but they're only sitting on 9 cars w/ Advance trim. The dealer that I am buying from is sitting on 32 of them.

I didn't need a car until September but I just decided "how good of a deal is good enough?" I found the current 0.9% and 90 days no payments to be good enough. I may have left money on the table compared to a potential deal in June or maybe not. One thing I do know is that I'll be enjoying the vehicle for 2 months longer!
CollinR4 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I have seen prices for 2020 Advance for around $44500 on here (plus taxes) I was offered that price in Oct 2018 for a 2019 Advance (plus local and state tax) that was from Pohanka Acura in Virginia....no other incentives....cash price....I hadn't talked financing.
CollinR4 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:54 AM
Racer

I've been getting quotes for an Advance trim since last October, and the lowest I've seen was last November, when a dealership in Dallas was quoting me $42,545 plus $750 shipping to my Denver, CO. Locally, I received an offer from a local dealership for $43,400 (after Acura $1500 but before Conquest/Loyalty/Recent Grad) including dealer fees and add ons, plus TTL, but they sent me the deal on April 30 (last day of the month) at 4:50pm when the dealership closed at 6pm. They said I had to come in by 6pm to do the deal, but there was no way I could drop everything and go. I asked them to let me do it the next day, May 1st, but they said no, it had to be in done before the end of the month. So, I'm still looking around and trying to get a deal.

Maybe they will get desperate again by the end of May, but maybe not. I'm not desperate for a car as my daily driver is still in excellent shape and I'm only shopping around because my wife insists I need an AWD SUV for the winters here (I currently drive a 2014 Accord V6 with 54,000 miles).

The one thing I've noticed, too, is that Acura is not really pushing discounts because their production has been shut down. They see it as the demand and supply curves both dipping at the same time, which allows them to maintain the prices inflated. I think prices will be really discounted at the end of the model year, when the new ones are coming out and they are trying to empty dealer lots (plus whatever they have produced by then, if they even go back to 2020 production instead of shifting to 2021 models). We'll see.
CollinR4 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nogard13
I've been getting quotes for an Advance trim since last October, and the lowest I've seen was last November, when a dealership in Dallas was quoting me $42,545 plus $750 shipping to my Denver, CO.
What dealership in Dallas was being that aggressive? Vandergriff?
Old 05-05-2020, 11:06 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

... I'm only shopping around because my wife insists I need an AWD SUV for the winters here (I currently drive a 2014 Accord V6 with 54,000 miles).
... .
Not trying to start a tangent here, but you probably know that a full set of high quality snow tires will make a FWD car very capable in winter conditions. I don't know where "here" is, but you may not actually NEED AWD. But don't let me steer you away from a very nice new vehicle. Just sayin'...

Last edited by DJA123; 05-05-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

Regarding timing your purchase. I waited until May 1st to see if the factory incentives were sweetened, they stayed the same. What made me move now versus a month or more from now was my trade. I traded my wife's '13 TL Advance and I was afraid the value of the trade was going to fall based upon what I hear on the news. The first dealer offered an $11,000 trade, CarMax offered to buy it for $10,000 a few weeks later and the dealer I bought from gave us an $11,500 trade so I went for it.
CollinR4 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

I got a lot of great advice here and it took me a while to appreciate some of it. One piece of advice that I'll echo here is to compare all your deals on a spreadsheet to ensure you are comparing apples to apples. Make sure your spreadsheet goes to the "out-the-door" figure. Some dealers who looked aggressive were pricing without the 0.9% financing - that drops the price by $1,500. Also look for fees on the deep discount deals. It's also a good idea to work your trade into the mix, including the sales tax reduction from a trade (if your state does that).

One example I can share is a quote from Pohanka Acura in VA. They quoted $36,990 for an RDX SH-AWD Tech. Sounded great at first. Then I read the fine print. Here's how that deal unfolded:

$36,990 Quote price
$ 1,500 Add back factory dealer assistance (not eligible if using 0.9% financing)
$ 1,025 Add destination
$ 799 Add processing fee
$40,314 Total actual quoted price

All deals included $2,000 in loyalty rebates.

That's actually a good price, but it was 500 miles away and my options were to fly there and drive back or have the car shipped.

The other factor was my trade value. I could sell the car to CarMax for $10,000 and apply that cash against the Pohanka car or I could use my trade locally and get $1,500 more for it. The local trade also saved me $805 in sales tax. The idea of driving my wife's car to VA did not appeal to me and once there I was afraid of what their trade value would be.

In the end the deal I took was $42,374 - $11,500 trade = $30,874 out the door loan amount vs. $41,500 - $10,000 trade value = $31,500 out the door loan amount with Pohanka (after the trade - loan amount). The local deal was $626 better after the difference in trade value.

If you are near Pohanka, that's probably still a great place to look - just understand the numbers!

CollinR4 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 12:19 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to start a tangent here, but you probably know that a full set of high quality snow tires will make a FWD car very capable in winter conditions. I don't know where "here" is, but you may not actually NEED AWD. But don't let me steer you away from a very nice new vehicle. Just sayin'...
I agree that a FWD car with snow tires will perform very admirably in winter conditions, but an AWD with snow tires will perform that much better. So often people look at it as an either/or thing, but the ultimate winter experience will be found in AWD plus winter tires. Also, AWD will perform better in wet conditions than FWD regardless of the tires. Especially something like start/stop situations in hilly environments. When I pick up my RDX (just waiting to see what happens with 2021 changes) one of the first purchases I make will be a 2nd set of wheels with Nokian R3 winter tires. But my family is a bunch of skiiers and snowboarders and we only live 30 minutes from the nearest resort, so it's a bigger deal to me than most.

Last edited by bnr32jason; 05-05-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Racer

Hiley in Plano, TX. I got a few other quotes from nearby dealerships and they were within $200-300 of each other.

Yes, that's true, but we get a lot of snow where I live, often exceeding 12-14", so my Accord (with snow tires) doesn't do nearly as well driving around as my wife's Subaru Outback.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by bnr32jason
I agree that a FWD car with snow tires will perform very admirably in winter conditions, but an AWD with snow tires will perform that much better. So often people look at it as an either/or thing, but the ultimate winter experience will be found in AWD plus winter tires. Also, AWD will perform better in wet conditions than FWD regardless of the tires. Especially something like start/stop situations in hilly environments. When I pick up my RDX (just waiting to see what happens with 2021 changes) one of the first purchases I make will be a 2nd set of wheels with Nokian R3 winter tires. But my family is a bunch of skiiers and snowboarders and we only live 30 minutes from the nearest resort, so it's a bigger deal to me than most.
Ditto on the snow tires. I've driven a RWD with some nice snow tires in city suffering from winter lake effects, no issues there.

However, Acura's SH-AWD is not only for snow but also provides all sorts of driving dynamics through turns and corners.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

I just came across this site in researching for my purchase today of SH-AWD Tech, Gunmetal. Been very helpful to me, so I appreciate everyone's info. Here is my deal, from Raleigh, NC, playing 3 local dealers against each other which helped:

$40,123 offer, including destination and $600 in accessories
$ 802 tags and admin fee
$40,925 Total.

I was entitled to $1000 conquest rebate, so that was part of the discount. All 3 dealers were willing to do that offer.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:38 AM
5th Gear

Was it AWD? This would be a phenomenal deal if it was AWD
Old 05-08-2020, 09:38 AM
5th Gear

RDX SHAWD Tech and ASPEC

Originally Posted by Dimatree
Was it AWD? This would be a phenomenal deal if it was AWD
Hello I also used True Car and received pricing from Pohanka Acura on a SHAWD with Tech and and ASPEC. I asked for out the door pricing including 6% Pennsylvania sales tax.
These prices are below all other quotes I received and I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on this.

I test drove the ASPEC and liked it quite a bit except I am not sure I like the red lights. I think my 50 year old eyes may prefer the stand lights but I was interested in your experiences?
Purchase, current Acura owner

ACURA RDX 2020
TECH AWD OTD $38,384.06
A-SPEC OTD $41,356.86
Old 05-08-2020, 07:29 PM
5th Gear

Question First Dealer quote

I went to the dealership today to test drive an AWD A-spec RDX (I was hoping to see the Apex blue but that seems to be out of stock everywhere).
Their offer for the Apex blue (with 0.9% APR):
MSRP: $45025
Discounts/Rebates: $2075 (Conquest and recent grad)
Options: $874
Fees: $692.75
Tax: $3461
OTD: $47977.82
Included is trade in of $14000, and down payment of $15000.
First off I want to know if I am calculating the OTD price correctly, because I recall seeing people paying $43000 OTD. Second I want to know if my initial offer of 15% off of MSRP rice is ridiculous. Lastly do you think this is a good deal?
I will continue shopping at other dealer to hopefully bring their price down. Note I am in Southern California

Old 05-08-2020, 08:22 PM
Racer

I
First off I want to know if I am calculating the OTD price correctly, because I recall seeing people paying $43000 OTD. Second I want to know if my initial offer of 15% off of MSRP rice is ridiculous. Lastly do you think this is a good deal?
I will continue shopping at other dealer to hopefully bring their price down. Note I am in Southern California
They are only giving you $1,000 off MSRP? That's crazy. You will get the loyalty regardless, but here, in Colorado, I'm getting offers of $4,500 off MSRP on Advance packages, and that's before getting any of my loyalty/grad/military credits. They are ripping you off. I guarantee you that if you go to Truecar and request an offer from the same dealership, they will discount it at least $2,500, before your conquest/loyalty offers/credits. The same if you go to their website and ask for an "e-price."

Another thing you can do is shop around several dealerships in your area. See what you can get them to give you and play them off against each other.
Dimatree (05-09-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:34 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by grouser
Hello I also used True Car and received pricing from Pohanka Acura on a SHAWD with Tech and and ASPEC. I asked for out the door pricing including 6% Pennsylvania sales tax.
These prices are below all other quotes I received and I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on this.

I test drove the ASPEC and liked it quite a bit except I am not sure I like the red lights. I think my 50 year old eyes may prefer the stand lights but I was interested in your experiences?
Purchase, current Acura owner

ACURA RDX 2020
TECH AWD OTD $38,384.06
A-SPEC OTD $41,356.86
Those are very good deals if they're true OTD prices. See if they'll go down to $41k even on the A-Spec and you'll be getting a steal.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:19 AM
5th Gear

Yeah that $4500 is what I was looking for but they would not budge. I told them I will be shopping around the area and they told me to bring back a quote from some other dealership who is willing to do $4500 off MSRP before rebates. Right now I am looking within a 2 hour drive but I will increase it to 4-5 hours to save a few thousand bucks.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:02 AM
Racer

Yeah that $4500 is what I was looking for but they would not budge. I told them I will be shopping around the area and they told me to bring back a quote from some other dealership who is willing to do $4500 off MSRP before rebates. Right now I am looking within a 2 hour drive but I will increase it to 4-5 hours to save a few thousand bucks.
I don't know where in SoCal you are, so I picked Santa Ana and went to TrueCar to check prices. Per TrueCar, you should be getting at least a $3,300 discount off MSRP on an A-Spec SH-AWD. See link below. Use that to contact dealers for a TruePrice and I guarantee you they will email you with lower prices than what is listed on TrueCar (they always have for me). Happy Hunting.

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/a...&zipcode=92612

edit: Acura is offering $1500 for financing with them. Make sure you are using Acura Financial initially, to get the discount, and then you can refinance after a month or so to your credit union for a lower rate or pay the car off entirely. If you mention paying cash, you don’t get this discount.

Last edited by Nogard13; 05-09-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Hard to comment on that deal...is ur trade in worth $11,000..or is it really $9000 and they have just bumped it up.....1 reason why you should never mention the trade in at all/......goto carmax and get a quote from them....thats more realistic in what the trade in value is..and yes its normally less than what you want,lol. Spend some time on this forum....and see what local buyers have been paying.....they more knowledge u have..the more power u have.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Advanced

I went to the dealership today to test drive an AWD A-spec RDX (I was hoping to see the Apex blue but that seems to be out of stock everywhere).
Their offer for the Apex blue (with 0.9% APR):
MSRP: $45025
Discounts/Rebates: $2075 (Conquest and recent grad)
Options: $874
Fees: $692.75
Tax: $3461
OTD: $47977.82
Included is trade in of $14000, and down payment of $15000.

I would keep looking & pricing....

Since you are trading your car & not selling privately (I did the same), I would get the OTD price from each dealer (without your trade or down payment included) and compare those against each other. See if they are giving you the same incentives (conquest & recent grad).

Then get the allowable trade amount from each dealer. (research & have an idea what it is worth/what you want for it)

Keep it all seperate. It will be easier to compare the numbers this way....they are good at throwing a lot of numbers at you to try & confuse the situation/deal.

Are you financing with them for additional incentives (another $1500?...when I bought I financed with them, then refinanced after for a better rate that I had already researched)?

For this particular deal....were the Pro Package & Clear Shield ($874 options) already on the car ("included")....or did you ask to have them added on?

FYI, I never mention the color that I want....until later/the end. It's possible to use that to your advantage.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:41 PM
5th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by Consultantmom
I would keep looking & pricing....
Since you are trading your car & not selling privately (I did the same), I would get the OTD price from each dealer (without your trade or down payment included) and compare those against each other. See if they are giving you the same incentives (conquest & recent grad).
Then get the allowable trade amount from each dealer. (research & have an idea what it is worth/what you want for it)
Keep it all seperate. It will be easier to compare the numbers this way....they are good at throwing a lot of numbers at you to try & confuse the situation/deal.
Are you financing with them for additional incentives (another $1500?...when I bought I financed with them, then refinanced after for a better rate that I had already researched)?
For this particular deal....were the Pro Package & Clear Shield ($874 options) already on the car ("included")....or did you ask to have them added on?
FYI, I never mention the color that I want....until later/the end. It's possible to use that to your advantage.
Yes the Pro Package & Clear Shield were already on the car, I did not ask for them to be included.
I will be financing through them so I did qualify for the $1500 off or the 0.9% APR.
Thank you for the advice about the color, that is something which I had not considered before.
I Always ask them to talk them through the numbers which I input into a google sheet for comparison.

One dealer I got a quote from said he gave me the invoice price which is what he paid for the car (according to him but i think that is bullshit). MSRP is $47025 and he said the invoice price was $45626.

Also how is a good way to get the dealers to make more competitive deals cause it seems like that are all giving me the same thing cause they do not consider me a serious buyer?
Old 05-09-2020, 07:08 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

... I want to know if my initial offer of 15% off of MSRP rice is ridiculous.
People have received this level of discount but it's at the far extreme of what's possible. Desperate dealer in a must sell situation kinda thing. DO NOT expect that.

Lastly do you think this is a good deal?
Not really. But market conditions are all over the place now and you have to research what's typical for your area. Try Costco auto buying service to get what's typically a fair, if not the absolute best, offer.

Yes the Pro Package & Clear Shield were already on the car, I did not ask for them to be included.
Do you want these things? You can ask them to find a car without them. They may have to drive it in from another dealer, but don't pay for things you don't want.

Also how is a good way to get the dealers to make more competitive deals cause it seems like that are all giving me the same thing cause they do not consider me a serious buyer?
Why do you think this? It does happen, but if they are responsive and not ignoring you, they are interested. It's when they blow you off that they are considering you just a looker.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

Hi All very new to car buying,

I am looking to purchase the 2020 RDX AWD Tech package. I recently got quotes from 2 dealers in my area (northern cali area) and of course they were pretty high. I am also going to finance 60 months (they gave me the 0.9%) The price one of them quoted me was:
$43,000 (thats before tax, registration, and bonuses)
$46,000 (after taxes/fee with -$1,000 conquest bonus)

From reading this thread which has been a great help...i know the prices are high. My question would be how much you think my max should be? I was thinking it should be around $39,000 before all the fees and financing.

Any help/suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Old 05-09-2020, 09:45 PM
Advanced

I will be financing through them so I did qualify for the $1500 off or the 0.9% APR.
Thank you for the advice about the color, that is something which I had not considered before.
I Always ask them to talk them through the numbers which I input into a google sheet for comparison.

One dealer I got a quote from said he gave me the invoice price which is what he paid for the car (according to him but i think that is bullshit). MSRP is $47025 and he said the invoice price was $45626.

I would not pay for something that I didn't ask for them to put on my car...you can ask for one that doesn't have that on the vehicle, but my guess is they put it on ALL vehicles as another source of profit. If so, then tell them to deduct the $$ because you didn't ask for it or want it.

Good on the financing.

You're welcome....not many people realize that. What is the first thing they ask you, "What color do you want?" They must have asked me 8-10 times during my deal....I never told them. Until I got the price I wanted & was done negotiating.

You can find invoice prices online. There is hold back $$ too.

That's why I said to focus on the OTD price from each dealor. They can "give you invoice" or the moon, but when it comes down to it (after adding their fees, taxes, etc.) you want to concentrate on apples to apples....the OTD price. It is just easier to negotiate that way. Then you can negotiate between dealers.

Try to have 1 contact that you speak with at each dealership. Let them know you are ready to buy, that you ARE a serious buyer....when you get the price you want...and you are talking with others. They may ask what that price is....you can tell them "as close to $xxx as you can get" if you have a number in mind (then take off a little extra), or you can refrain from telling them at all. Ask for their best OTD price...what they give you usually isn't, but still ask. Always be willing to walk away. You can negotiate & get their OTD price over the phone or in an email, especially in the current environment. Then use those numbers to call back & negotiate between them...........

Hope that helps!

Dimatree (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 09:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Consultantmom
I would not pay for something that I didn't ask for them to put on my car...you can ask for one that doesn't have that on the vehicle, but my guess is they put it on ALL vehicles as another source of profit. If so, then tell them to deduct the $$ because you didn't ask for it or want it.
I've purchased 4 cars in the last 12 years and can tell you for a fact that all dealerships put the equipment on the car as soon as they come off the truck. One of my neighbors growing up, who I went to school with from 2nd grade up until college, works at a Mercedes dealership and this is exactly what they do at his dealership, too (they put almost $2K worth of dealer add-ons to every car, including nitrogen, wheel locks, paint protectant, VIN etching, etc.). I was able to negotiate a car without any add-ons the last time I bought a car because I agreed to a price around the 15th of the month and they had a new vehicle, with my specs, arriving at the dealership a week later. I told them I wanted it straight off the truck and they even let me watch as they unloaded it and peeled the stuff off it. They installed the front license plate holder, washed it, and handed me the keys. This may be the only way to get a car without dealer-installed accessories.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I've purchased 4 cars in the last 12 years and can tell you for a fact that all dealerships put the equipment on the car as soon as they come off the truck. One of my neighbors growing up, who I went to school with from 2nd grade up until college, works at a Mercedes dealership and this is exactly what they do at his dealership, too (they put almost $2K worth of dealer add-ons to every car, including nitrogen, wheel locks, paint protectant, VIN etching, etc.). I was able to negotiate a car without any add-ons the last time I bought a car because I agreed to a price around the 15th of the month and they had a new vehicle, with my specs, arriving at the dealership a week later. I told them I wanted it straight off the truck and they even let me watch as they unloaded it and peeled the stuff off it. They installed the front license plate holder, washed it, and handed me the keys. This may be the only way to get a car without dealer-installed accessories.
Just because the dealer installed the accessories, doesn't mean you have to pay for them. Everything is negotiable, and comes down to how badly they want to sell you the car vs the "other" dealership that didn't put the accessories on. It all comes down to the out-the-door cost in the end.
Consultantmom (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 10:15 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

A common theme in the last group of posts is to take control of what you are buying. Don't let the dealer determine the options and accessories you pay for. Know what you want and ask for only that. This allows you to compare apples to apples when pricing and typically lowers final cost. They will find your specific car, even if they have to do a dealer trade. The dealers want to sell you in-stock cars that are pre-loaded with add-ons because...

We all can finish that thought.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:06 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a great thread, I'm brand new here and hoping to be a new rdx owner soon. I've learned a lot reading up here.
I have a few question if I may? 1st off, is this really a good time to get a good deal? At first I thought yes because our Acura dealer has been closed until recently due to PA Governor's order and their RDXs have been just sitting and they'd be eager to make up for lost sales? Would I be wiser to wait until the end of month?
The pundits all say the SH-AWD Technology Package is the best bang for the buck, sadly that package doesn't include rain sensing wipers, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats all I'm used to with my Jeep GC limited, the Advanced package adds them plus other goodies but will add at least $4000, is it really worth the upgrade? Does the active damper system really smooth out the ride if wanted? Sorry about the long message and thank you in advance for your help
Old 05-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by PT1209
What a great thread, I'm brand new here and hoping to be a new rdx owner soon. I've learned a lot reading up here.
I have a few question if I may? 1st off, is this really a good time to get a good deal? At first I thought yes because our Acura dealer has been closed until recently due to PA Governor's order and their RDXs have been just sitting and they'd be eager to make up for lost sales? Would I be wiser to wait until the end of month?
The pundits all say the SH-AWD Technology Package is the best bang for the buck, sadly that package doesn't include rain sensing wipers, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats all I'm used to with my Jeep GC limited, the Advanced package adds them plus other goodies but will add at least $4000, is it really worth the upgrade? Does the active damper system really smooth out the ride if wanted? Sorry about the long message and thank you in advance for your help
A month, 6 months or a year down the road, will you regret not getting the features you are used to?

Welcome, to the forum, by the way!
PT1209 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 02:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cuzz
Just because the dealer installed the accessories, doesn't mean you have to pay for them. Everything is negotiable, and comes down to how badly they want to sell you the car vs the "other" dealership that didn't put the accessories on. It all comes down to the out-the-door cost in the end.
If you're good at negotiating a deal, and you got the dealer to give you a rock-bottom price, they aren't willing to negotiate the installed options. In fact, if the dealership is willing to give you these installed options and not charge you for them, that's a good indication that you didn't get them to go as low as they could've.

The last car I bought was a 2014 Accord V6 and I was able to negotiate a price of 2.5% under invoice. At the time, Invoice was $28,000 and I was able to negotiate the car for $27,250 before incentives, and then take an extra $1,500 off that price thanks to current offers like College Grad, Loyalty Cash, and for financing with Honda. I bought a car that MSRPs for $30,600 and only paid $25,750 for it. Needless to say, they insisted that the accessories they had installed needed to be paid for (wheel locks, door guards, and some other BS stuff). They would not budge one inch, so that's why I negotiated to get the car right off the truck.

Again, if a business is willing to give you something for free, then you need to question where it's being paid from. In the case of a dealership, if they are willing to let you have all the dealer installed options without charging you for them, it's because you're actually paying for them one way or another.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Advanced

If you're good at negotiating a deal, and you got the dealer to give you a rock-bottom price, they aren't willing to negotiate the installed options. In fact, if the dealership is willing to give you these installed options and not charge you for them, that's a good indication that you didn't get them to go as low as they could've.

The last car I bought was a 2014 Accord V6 and I was able to negotiate a price of 2.5% under invoice. At the time, Invoice was $28,000 and I was able to negotiate the car for $27,250 before incentives, and then take an extra $1,500 off that price thanks to current offers like College Grad, Loyalty Cash, and for financing with Honda. I bought a car that MSRPs for $30,600 and only paid $25,750 for it. Needless to say, they insisted that the accessories they had installed needed to be paid for (wheel locks, door guards, and some other BS stuff). They would not budge one inch, so that's why I negotiated to get the car right off the truck.

Again, if a business is willing to give you something for free, then you need to question where it's being paid from. In the case of a dealership, if they are willing to let you have all the dealer installed options without charging you for them, it's because you're actually paying for them one way or another.

Sometimes.....

There are often other things going on behind the scene that the buyer doesn't know about....for example-----there is a fleet of 20 new cars coming in the next day and they want to move this one off the lot (they are paying insurance on the current inventory), there are internal incentives for the year/month/week/etc. and they are 1 car away from getting it ("we'll loose $500 on this car to get the $10,000 bonus from corporate"), etc.

You never know unless you work there......just saying.

Cuzz (05-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Prices Paid and Offers Accepted 2020 RDX